[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• Mawtful wrote:
    That's it.
    Based on some datamining and speculation, we think the following:

MBW is losing stun.
    Thor is losing green tile creation.
    Cap is losing AP return on his red.

No, mass targeted tile generation is on it's way out.

Which basically anyone paying any attention has concluded ages ago. Anyone who got to play with pre-nerf cmags also knows that this is actually a very good idea.
    Davyx wrote:
    stowaway wrote:
    I doubt they're going to alter the 2* versions and leave the 3* lazy versions as is. Which would suggest that they are planning balance changes at the 3* level.
    They are changing the 2* version precisely because they want to leave the 3* versions alone. See quote below:
    Nipping this in the bud too. Please don't rely on the spoiler thread for your character info; we have nothing planned, conceived or in consideration for any 3*s either.
    Source: http://www.d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=29594&p=356964#p356964

That's pretty funny. So following that reasoning if they say they're not going to change 2*s you're going to assume that's confirmation of significant changes to 1*s?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    That's it.

MBW is losing stun.

I don't follow what you're trying to say here. I think you mean to quote me on "War on AP Acceleration", but I can't be sure.

In any case,
    Thor has mass random tile generation.
    Cap has single targeted tile generation.
    And yet both Cyclops and Kamala have mass targeted tile generation but aren't on the list.

There is a mechanical difference between tile generation and tile colour change. Kamala changes the colour of basic tiles - so spamming Hailstorm is an effective way to limit or even block Kamala's purple entirely. Meanwhile Thor's powers add new tiles to the board (it just looks exactly the same as changing colour). Changing Thor's ability to target and change the colour of basic tiles only would be sufficient. Additionally, both Kamala and Cyclops can be limited in the number of tiles converted, where as Thor will always generate 9 green tiles. I would describe their abilities as "conditional" in this respect.

Perhaps a better distinction would be "mass, unconditional tile generation" is being phased out, mostly in favour of conditional, tile colour change.
  • No, what I said was pretty clear. MASS TARGETED. Meaning many tiles that you can place. Those are being phased out. And for good reason.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    It looks to my like they're simplifying characters at the 1* and 2* level, with AP generation becoming more of an 'advanced' power (MnM excluded). Kind of like how Magic used to stick to the simpler concepts of the game in the core sets.
  • Der_Lex wrote:
    It looks to my like they're simplifying characters at the 1* and 2* level, with AP generation becoming more of an 'advanced' power (MnM excluded). Kind of like how Magic used to stick to the simpler concepts of the game in the core sets.
    but magic has mana at all levels.....and this is a dumb decision.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    but magic has mana at all levels.....and this is a dumb decision.

Tapping lands for mana is a basic ability, which has making a match 3/4/5 as its MPQ equivalent. Using powers to generate AP would be something like a keyword ability on Magic (although this is where the direct comparison ends, because afaik Magic has no mana generating keywords, just single card abilities that do so). The comparison that I was aiming at was that for Magic, Wizards made the choice to put only one more advanced keyword in each core set in addition to basic ones such as Trample of First Strike. This could be the MPQ equivalent of that, where they make direct AP conversion/generation more rare in the 1-2* tier, and limit it to support chars such as MnM, Storm and to a lesser extent Ms Marvel.

That's not to say that I think this is a good call if it's really happening, although it would be hard to make 2* Cap any worse than he already is. But taking away Thors green AP generation would make the game a lot tougher for the 2* players.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    So, if 3* characters being lazy copies of original 2* characters is bad, it is also bad to go back and change the original characters so the 3* characters are no longer just stronger versions.

The problem, though, with the "% of health" damage mechanic is, of course, Zeno's paradox. I love Deadpool, but 35-40% or whatever gets smaller each time. Changing any other character skill to something similar is folly.

Lastly, man do I not care at all what they do with 1-2* characters. If you're on this board you're probably invested enough in the game that you are or will soon be 3-4* players. If these rumors are true, who cares? One decent TU gets nerfed. The world keeps spinning...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they are trying to get people to go into 3* land. I see many people atop the leaderboards in PVP and PVE with fully covered level 93 and 94 3* and 4* chars.. just to play against those starting out and get easy rewards. Giving the 3* version a benefit not given to a 2* may convince them to level up.. if they put in something to incent the leveling,
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    I think they are trying to get people to go into 3* land. I see many people atop the leaderboards in PVP and PVE with fully covered level 93 and 94 3* and 4* chars.. just to play against those starting out and get easy rewards. Giving the 3* version a benefit not given to a 2* may convince them to level up.. if they put in something to incent the leveling,

If that's their intention, I'm all for it. I just really don't want to see any more nerfs for a while. Six weeks ago a Thor nerf might have made me rage quit, because that's the basket all my 3* eggs were in. But this season I haven't used him once in PvP. Now I don't want him nerfed because I don't think he's the best 3* anymore.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Relax people, it seems to me that they're just trying to differentiate the 2* version of a character from the 3* versions which currently are exactly the same, just much weaker, which makes stupid to retain both versions. I had speculated this would happen some time after they made Ms. Marvel. Keep an eye open for changes in Junior Torch and Daken.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    To temporarily derail the subject -- congrats to turul and everyone in here for hitting Page 100 of this thread! This is still my #1 go-to thread in these forums. Kudos to both the devs for allowing it to stay, and for the regulars continuing to respect and adhere to the [nebulous, undefined] spoilers policy.

Marvel_Age_Vol_1_100.jpg
  • ronin-san wrote:
    First and foremost, I did not discover this. I simply took caps before I suggested it be taken down (so Demiurge doesn't get into trouble.) So if you want to throw karma at someone, go back to page 95 and upboat hexad_2808.

Also, on page 95, that's Cletus Klump in my comment. And Colin Farrell is in the next season of True Detectives. He doesn't have a ugly forehead in this one.

blackflag.png Character X grabs an unsuspecting teammate and hurls them into the fray! Deal %xvaluedamage to a selected teammate and %xvaluedamage to the target.

redflag.png (passive) Character X attacks everybody! Whenever a power is fired, character X creates 2 friendly strength %xvalue attack tiles. Character X also creates 2 enemy strength %xvalue attack tiles.

greenflag.png Character X unleases a torrent of **flavor text redacted**! Character X destroyx #numtiles and deals %xvaluedamage for every special tile destroyed. Does not generate AP.

=========================================================================

blackflag.png (passive) If Character Y deals the final blow to an opponent, Y cashes in by creating %xvalue strike tiles of strength %xvalue strength.

greenflag.png Character Y hurls a torrent of sharp objects hitting Y's opponent in the limbs before delivering the final blow. Y selects up to &xvalue basic tiles and destroys them, dealing %xvalue damage. Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP.

purpleflag.png Character Y destroys up to %xvalue tiles selected basic, attack, protect, or strike tiles, and deal %xvalue damage to the target for each non-basic tile destroyed. Does not generate AP.

===========================================================================

The third character leaked was basically a screencap of 2* Cyclops abilities, which has been out and known for over a week.

I bet my bottom dollar these are Carnage and 3* bullseye.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Mawtful wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    That's it.

MBW is losing stun.

I don't follow what you're trying to say here. I think you mean to quote me on "War on AP Acceleration", but I can't be sure.

In any case,
    Thor has mass random tile generation.
    Cap has single targeted tile generation.
    And yet both Cyclops and Kamala have mass targeted tile generation but aren't on the list.

There is a mechanical difference between tile generation and tile colour change. Kamala changes the colour of basic tiles - so spamming Hailstorm is an effective way to limit or even block Kamala's purple entirely. Meanwhile Thor's powers add new tiles to the board (it just looks exactly the same as changing colour). Changing Thor's ability to target and change the colour of basic tiles only would be sufficient. Additionally, both Kamala and Cyclops can be limited in the number of tiles converted, where as Thor will always generate 9 green tiles. I would describe their abilities as "conditional" in this respect.

Perhaps a better distinction would be "mass, unconditional tile generation" is being phased out, mostly in favour of conditional, tile colour change.
    I thought Thor's yellow already worked exactly as you described it in the part I bolded. You can check it out the easiest way by spamming Hailstorm twice in a row before Thor's attack. It should then generate green tiles only over the remaining basic tiles and TUs even if there are fewer than 9 such tiles.
  • bcas76 wrote:
    So, if 3* characters being lazy copies of original 2* characters is bad, it is also bad to go back and change the original characters so the 3* characters are no longer just stronger versions.

The problem, though, with the "% of health" damage mechanic is, of course, Zeno's paradox. I love Deadpool, but 35-40% or whatever gets smaller each time. Changing any other character skill to something similar is folly.

Lastly, man do I not care at all what they do with 1-2* characters. If you're on this board you're probably invested enough in the game that you are or will soon be 3-4* players. If these rumors are true, who cares? One decent TU gets nerfed. The world keeps spinning...
    'Who cares' would be the mass of 2* players. 2* players are the majority of MPQ's playerbase and even WITH deadpool daily, having a 3* roster is still a time investment.

I don't understand D3's drive to nerf 2* characters and players when, where it matters(HINT: PVP) they're still underclassmen to 3* players.

Personally, I was lucky my Daken/Blade were online by time MagStorm got nerfed. Or else I'd be really screwed.
    Malcrof wrote:

As a 2* player, I WANT to level up, trust me. But I need covers and iso and winning is hard.
  • Malcrof
    raisinbman wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

As a 2* player, I WANT to level up, trust me. But I need covers and iso and winning is hard.

This isn't about actual 2* players who are starting transitions, this is about people with 15+ max covered 3* and 4* characters purposely not leveling them above 94 so they can prey on actual 2* and lower players.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

This isn't about actual 2* players who are starting transitions, this is about people with 15+ max covered 3* and 4* characters purposely not leveling them above 94 so they can prey on actual 2* and lower players.
    Do ppl actually do that? I remember the new MMR doing something with that but didn't they change it back?

I mean I was sitting with level 110~ 3* characters for a long time but eventually, I would run into level 166 players so it's not like I could "win" PVP with my roster.

Actually, what the **** ever happened to PVP? Did they just revert or is it 'new' matchmaking?
  • Malcrof
    raisinbman wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Do ppl actually do that? I remember the new MMR doing something with that but didn't they change it back?

I mean I was sitting with level 110~ 3* characters for a long time but eventually, I would run into level 166 players so it's not like I could "win" PVP with my roster.

Actually, what the **** ever happened to PVP? Did they just revert or is it 'new' matchmaking?

yes they do, i see them more in PVE than in PVP, but have seen a few in PVP as well

The thinking i guess is, with scaling set based on your highest 3, starting with a roster of 30 level 94's compared to 5 or 6, you can go on virtually forever changing teams often and saving health packs, racking up 2 to 3x the points in a PVE that a normal 94/transitioner can with a limited roster.
  • Also, but I wonder if we're getting Bullseye 3* should I actually cover my Bullseye in case it becomes a case of "lazy buff"....hmm
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    All of this 2* nerf talk makes me super excited that they're required in PvE now... So, we have to keep characters hanging around that are even worse than before? 3-4* players basically have to fight level 150-300 Daken/Ares/Moonstone/Bullseye/Venom with two characters. What a strange (read: dumb) decision.

2* Cap buffed to level 150 is still 2* Cap no matter how you look at it.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will has dismissed BW changes as, "a rumor so silly he had to respond" and no change coming for MBW.

So Kabir has said no change for GSBW, Will said no change for MBW, leaving OBW the only suspect
This discussion has been closed.