*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had him started at 3/5/5, moved him to 5/3/5, and now hes back at 3/5/5. With the change of the meta and introduction of these ridiculously powerful characters like sentry, patch teams have fallen far out of favor in pvp simply because they are a huge liability on defense and will grt you attacked by the 20 other daken / sentry teams waiting to pounce on any juicy patchneto teams out there. As a result, the only time im going to be using patch anyways are events where hes buffed, in which case tbti isnt really an issue since hell probably be the strongest character on the team anyways. Mostly changing it for heroics , since as we all sae, 5/3/5 is pretty miserable in the current event.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mostly changing it for heroics , since as we all sae, 5/3/5 is pretty miserable in the current event.
    How so?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Mostly changing it for heroics , since as we all sae, 5/3/5 is pretty miserable in the current event.
    How so?

Since the character pool sucks, its hard to close out a game using berzerker rage without taking a ton of damage on the beefed up attacks that your opponents get after raging. Normally not an issue with magneto, but without him its a pretty big issue. I would much prefer 3 green so that i can more easily control the tiles, not to mention make tbti deal non terrible amounts of damage.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had him started at 3/5/5, moved him to 5/3/5, and now hes back at 3/5/5. With the change of the meta and introduction of these ridiculously powerful characters like sentry, patch teams have fallen far out of favor in pvp simply because they are a huge liability on defense and will grt you attacked by the 20 other daken / sentry teams waiting to pounce on any juicy patchneto teams out there. As a result, the only time im going to be using patch anyways are events where hes buffed, in which case tbti isnt really an issue since hell probably be the strongest character on the team anyways. Mostly changing it for heroics , since as we all sae, 5/3/5 is pretty miserable in the current event.

What???

Until the C.Mags nerf 5/3/5 is the fastest way to take down teams. 3/5/5 is fine don't get me wrong and after C.Mags I think there will be debate for 3/5/5 vs. 4/4/5. The one thing I beleive everyone can agree on with Patch now is that yellow needs to be at 5. I personally will probably go to 4/4/5. I used to be 3/5/5 and rarely used TBTI and without C.Mags 5/3/5 becomes a large liability, however I think I could deal with a 4/4/5 and creating 4 strike tiles, it's a little stronger obviously than 3/5/5 but not so insane as 5/3/5 in terms of eating strike tiles on the back end, but until they change TBTI to something a little different I just can't put stock in it anymore. As long as the buffed character feature stays, it's very hard to get Patch to tank 3 colors which is what makes TBTI decent, but in this meta of quick take downs or using health packs, I think Patch 5/3/5, C.Mags 5/5/3 is the best combo out there for doing it, and D3 knows it.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    How so?

Since the character pool sucks, its hard to close out a game using berzerker rage without taking a ton of damage on the beefed up attacks that your opponents get after raging. Normally not an issue with magneto, but without him its a pretty big issue. I would much prefer 3 green so that i can more easily control the tiles, not to mention make tbti deal non terrible amounts of damage.

It does come down to preference, but for what it's worth, I'm not having a problem with my 5/3/5 build in the current PvE. Between OBW's double dip on strike tiles and Marvel's stun with her black, I can usually cast berserker rage then kill everyone in the next couple turns while taking no or minimal damage.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:

What???

Until the C.Mags nerf 5/3/5 is the fastest way to take down teams. 3/5/5 is fine don't get me wrong and after C.Mags I think there will be debate for 3/5/5 vs. 4/4/5. The one thing I beleive everyone can agree on with Patch now is that yellow needs to be at 5. I personally will probably go to 4/4/5. I used to be 3/5/5 and rarely used TBTI and without C.Mags 5/3/5 becomes a large liability, however I think I could deal with a 4/4/5 and creating 4 strike tiles, it's a little stronger obviously than 3/5/5 but not so insane as 5/3/5 in terms of eating strike tiles on the back end, but until they change TBTI to something a little different I just can't put stock in it anymore. As long as the buffed character feature stays, it's very hard to get Patch to tank 3 colors which is what makes TBTI decent, but in this meta of quick take downs or using health packs, I think Patch 5/3/5, C.Mags 5/5/3 is the best combo out there for doing it, and D3 knows it.

Not since the introduction of sentrydaken. If you look at pretty much any xmen/top alliance pushing, theyre using sentry daken because those two are just as fast as patchneto and not a defensive liability. One thing that might be warped with my perception of these combos is that i dont shield hop, and havent really even shielded in 80% of the most recent tournaments in the past month. Sentry daken has resulted in me getting equilibrium scores of 700 without shielding, patchneto would probably look something more like 500.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:

What???

Not since the introduction of sentrydaken. If you look at pretty much any xmen/top alliance pushing, theyre using sentry daken because those two are just as fast as patchneto and not a defensive liability. One thing that might be warped with my perception of these combos is that i dont shield hop, and havent really even shielded in 80% of the most recent tournaments in the past month. Sentry daken has resulted in me getting equilibrium scores of 700 without shielding, patchneto would probably look something more like 500.

Are they pushing with Daken/Sentry or are they using Daken/Sentry as their defensive team? I guess if you plan on using a lot of health packs you can go Daken/Sentry, but Patch/Mags lets you push longer with less resources used.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    How so?

Since the character pool sucks, its hard to close out a game using berzerker rage without taking a ton of damage on the beefed up attacks that your opponents get after raging.
    Maybe my node levels are lower, but I'm not having a problem with tank and regen while I stockpile AP. Only the Ares/LD node has scaled out of control, but even that would still be doable if it weren't for teamups throwing World Ruptures and Supernovas at you as you attempt to patiently wear them down.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

What???

Are they pushing with Daken/Sentry or are they using Daken/Sentry as their defensive team? I guess if you plan on using a lot of health packs you can go Daken/Sentry, but Patch/Mags lets you push longer with less resources used.

I don't have Mags at a high enough level to really take advantage of Patchneto, but I found that since Patch now tanks for all but purple for GSBW I can get Berserker rage off without giving the AI strike tiles. I use aggresive recon to switch all purple tiles to green and then hit a berserker rage with 5 covers. 5 green strike tiles and none for the AI. I also use BP so I have a great AOE with black and more strike tiles with battle paln.
  • I m currently at 5 /3 / 5 and I have one red cover that will expire in 1 day ... I just wanted to know if they will nerf magneto tomorrow or in 2 months ....
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    AdrianoD wrote:
    I m currently at 5 /3 / 5 and I have one red cover that will expire in 1 day ... I just wanted to know if they will nerf magneto tomorrow or in 2 months ....

Probably in 2 months. Hawkeye first, then C.Mags, then Xforce, at least that's what IceIX said a few days ago.
  • The discussion between patchneto or sentry + daken was already stated by iceix I think ...
    Patchneto is more used but way slower ...
    Sentry + daken is used to a lesser extent and consumes more healthpack but way faster to kill enemies ...
    I also used patch + bp in the shield simulator ... it takes way too long so its not good for shield hop but with green + black you can do 4800 aoe damage ... which is even insaner than bp black alone
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    AdrianoD wrote:
    The discussion between patchneto or sentry + daken was already stated by iceix I think ...
    Patchneto is more used but way slower ...
    Sentry + daken is used to a lesser extent and consumes more healthpack but way faster to kill enemies ...
    I also used patch + bp in the shield simulator ... it takes way too long so its not good for shield hop but with green + black you can do 4800 aoe damage ... which is even insaner than bp black alone

patchneto sounds like sharknado therefore Patch/Mags will now be refered to as Patchnado
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

What???

Theyre definitely pushing with daken sentry (at least when they get to point values where they are easily attacked). My guess is that hey play whatever until 700 points, at which point they daken sentry to victory. Once you hit 900+, youll have a huge target on your head, making patchneto a lot less desirable. Daken sentry at least makes people hestitate a little more before attacking you, since even 2* players would probably go after a patchneto team.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    So assuming C.Mags goes to a random blue and a 5 AP red, is there any other way to abuse Patch's strike tiles or will he move from the most popular 5/3/5 to a 3/5/5 or 4/4/5?
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Unless Patch is boosted, using 5-red is really tough to use. It costs a lot, and Wolverine will not own enough tiles for it to actually matter (incidently, also makes his yellow much weaker). The PvP, Patch's effectiveness with red will depend on if the featured character has red/green/yellow strength. Losing access to one or two colors severely reduces the effectiveness of his red. In PvE, the only difficult matches are the "Essential" ones where you are forced to take a character for the lead. Unless that character is severely under-leveled, Patch will have the same issue.

Although the drawback for Patch's green can be devastating if used incorrectly, I still think it's possible to stock up enough extra attacks to make it usable at the right moment. Hulk, Daken, Punisher, Psylocke, and Classic Magneto are some of my favorites.

With the introduction of better reds and greens, though, I think Patch is still useful if only for his ability to sustain himself for long PvE sessions.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Katai wrote:
    Although the drawback for Patch's green can be devastating if used incorrectly, I still think it's possible to stock up enough extra attacks to make it usable at the right moment. Hulk, Daken, Punisher, Psylocke, and Classic Magneto are some of my favorites.

Yep. Add Black Panther and his AOE black to the list, too -- I've used that pairing to devastating effect. I think the best non-cMags team for Patch with 5 green is probably Psylocke-Daken. Psylocke's red and black are low-cost enough that once you cast green you can usually down the opposing team in one or two turns, max. You can even use Daken's blue -- if it'll kill the last man standing you don't care if you erase Patch's strike tiles. So I think 5/3/5 will still be usable, if not quite as abusable as it is with cMags.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    So assuming C.Mags goes to a random blue and a 5 AP red, is there any other way to abuse Patch's strike tiles or will he move from the most popular 5/3/5 to a 3/5/5 or 4/4/5?
    There are a few alternatives to cMags--

Use Loki's Trickery to turn enemy strike tiles into friendly protect tiles after launching Berserker Rage
    Use GSBW's Deceptive Tactics or MN Mags' Polarity Shift to cover empty pink tiles before launching Berserker Rage
    Use Spidey or Bullseye's passive protect tiles to block pink strike tiles before launching Berserker Rage
    Use Invisible Woman's Force Bubbles to block pink tiles before launching Berserker Rage

Falcon and She-Hulk can remove some enemy strike tiles but not all of them.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    There are a few alternatives to cMags--

Use Loki's Trickery to turn enemy strike tiles into friendly protect tiles after launching Berserker Rage
    Use GSBW's Deceptive Tactics or MN Mags' Polarity Shift to cover empty pink tiles before launching Berserker Rage
    Use Spidey or Bullseye's passive protect tiles to block pink strike tiles before launching Berserker Rage
    Use Invisible Woman's Force Bubbles to block pink tiles before launching Berserker Rage

Falcon and She-Hulk can remove some enemy strike tiles but not all of them.

Don't forget you can use Rage of the panther to just kill everyone as well!!!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, hulk