*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Darek wrote:
    Do you think that it worth to buy the last yellow cover ? Will it make Patch enough available ?
    You very much want to build yellow out of 5 covers eventually, but I don't think it's necessary to drop 1,250 HP on the last cover. At 4 yellow covers, you'll still be healing for full damage a little under half the time and for about 25% damage the rest of the time. In most cases, I think that HP would be better spent on shields in PVP to help you get better placement--and thus more covers--or on roster slots.

For partners, you want someone who can help mitigate the strike tiles that you're giving the other team. Here are a few options I listed earlier in the thread--

Use Loki's Trickery to turn enemy strike tiles into friendly protect tiles after launching Berserker Rage
    Use GSBW's Deceptive Tactics or MN Mags' Polarity Shift to cover empty pink tiles before launching Berserker Rage
    Use Spidey or Bullseye's passive protect tiles to block pink strike tiles before launching Berserker Rage
    Use Invisible Woman's Force Bubbles to block pink tiles before launching Berserker Rage

Alternatively, you can just make sure that the enemy doesn't get any turns after you use Berserker Rage. To do this, you need a bit of planning and teammates with cheap, spam-able skills. This used to be cMags but now that he's nerfed he's not the best fit. Two of my personal favs are Daken and Psylocke. Psylocke's black costs 6 AP and leaves an attack tile to double-dip on the strike tiles if you do have to give the enemy another move. Her red costs only 5 AP if there are at least 3 other red strike tiles on the board, which shouldn't be too hard with Daken on your team. Daken's blue will wipe out some of your strike tiles but packs a big punch. Rags and Capt Marvel also have cheap moves that you can use. Pun's black is a great AOE attack that works well with strike tiles but the red and green overlap with Patch make him less than ideal.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    IMHO Patch goes well with Loki, Falcon, Daken and everyone who has cheap skills (not green obviously).
    I have your same question, Darek, but my problem is that I don't have strong characters like you, and my Patch is only a 3/3/5 lv 140. My best pg are Hulk 5/3/1 lv 117, IM40 4/4/2 lv 127, The Hood 2/4/2 lv 102, Doctor Doom 3/4 lv 102, Ares 4/4/5 lv 94, OBW 3/5/5 lv 94, C. Storm 5/4/4 lv 94, Thor MN! 5/5/3 lv 94, Spider-Man 3/1/4 lv 91, Daken 2* 5/5/1 lv 79 and Punisher 1/2/3 lv 78.
  • vudu3
    Options
    Falcon is not a great teammate for Patch. He can only take out one enemy strike tile and even then he won't be able to do so until the turn after you launch Berserker Rage. You want to wrap things up pretty quickly after that happens so you won't be getting a lot of Inspiration matches and even if you did a maxed Falcon tanks yellow so you're putting him in the front lines where he'll get ripped to shreds.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    But a Falcon 5/3/5 could improves the strength of yours strike tiles and give you 14 protect tiles for weaken the bonus damages of enemy strike tiles, giving you enough time to kill enemy team or match enemy strike tiles.
    I'm not saying Falcon is the best teammate for Patch (Daken, Psylocke, Loki are better), but he seems to me a very good alternative to Ragnarok, Spider-Man, Invisible Woman, Bullseye, ecc.
    But probably you're right, I haven't play Patch as much as you:)

About Magneto MN!, you think he's worthy level him up with my actual roster?
    I'm thinking to play Patch + Daken + MN! Magneto instead of Patch + Daken + one among Spider-Man, The Hood, Thor and OBW.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TheHood wrote:
    But a Falcon 5/3/5 could improves the strength of yours strike tiles and give you 14 protect tiles for weaken the bonus damages of enemy strike tiles, giving you enough time to kill enemy team or match enemy strike tiles.
    I'm not saying Falcon is the best teammate for Patch (Daken, Psylocke, Loki are better), but he seems to me a very good alternative to Ragnarok, Spider-Man, Invisible Woman, Bullseye, ecc.
    But probably you're right, I haven't play Patch as much as you:)

I'm thinking to play Patch + Daken + MN! Magneto instead of Patch + Daken + one among Spider-Man, The Hood, Thor and OBW.

The thing about Falcon is that if you zerker rage and get out 6 strike tiles, do you really need to buff up the strike tiles even more? Wouldn't a better strategy instead of buffing out the already buff strike tiles / throwing out defense tiles is to just stockpile AP for cheap moves and unleash those right after zerker rage? I get what you're saying about him not being a terrible teammate for Patch, but I would say that he's average to below average, as better teammates include a pretty good chunk of the remaining 3* pool.

For your other question, I would say that either Hood or OBW is probably a better third than MN Mags. OBW might not look as good since Daken tanks all of her colors so she can't 2-hit espionage for recon, but on the other hand 3 hit recon isn't the worst, and Daken tanking for all of her colors is pretty sweet if you're regen tanking literally every single color. Hood or Thor are probably better on defense, but they don't really contribute as much offensively as OBW I would imagine (Hood definitely, Thor's yellow is pretty good for you as well though).
  • As someone in the three star transition, my berserk rage is at 5, it is exceptionally useful to me. I would usually pair him with daken. If there's a third, often obw or anyone with a decent aoe. Most of the time, once I rage, I win.
  • Berserker Rage at level 5 is a game over move. If it doesn't end the game for them, it's surely going to end the game for you when the AI gets their cascades going. Therefore having Falcon is pretty pointless because the game is ending one way or another once level 5 Berserker Rage hits. You might be able to wimp out with a level 3 Berserker Rage but I'd suggest using Black Panther instead if you plan on wimping out. Falcon's ability works better with TBTI, but TBTI is very expensive and it's pretty close to game ending as well except in rare cases in PvE.
  • vudu3
    Options
    TheHood wrote:
    MN Mags pairs well with Patch in PVE but because MN Mags is so terrible on defense this would be a poor team in PVP. Since Polarity Shift doesn't gain much from additional levels, there's really not much need to throw more ISO at him than is needed to survive incidental damage. In fact, it might be better to leave him under leveled so someone else tanks for him.

You could easily level your characters so Patch and Daken completely cover MN Mags. Wow--this actually seems like it would be a really good PVE team. I'm going to have to try this.
  • 5/3/5 Patch with Loki worked great. Helped eased the pain of losing patchneto (a little).
  • Need help witch Patch:)

I have a question...I have patch 5/4/4, and i'm happy to have him LvL 166 !
    I read that Patch is very strong when his covers are 5 because the difference between 4 and 5 covers are important...

I wanted to wait for a yellow cover, just in order to have him 5/3/5 which seems me a great configuration with what i read.

Unfortunalty, (but good luck anyway) i just had a red cover.

My question is this one :

Should i wait for a yellow cover (but i don't know when i get it) and wait with 5/4/4
    Should i use the red cover and have 5/5/3...

What is the difference between the red and the yellow ? What is the best configuration ? What is your advice ? icon_e_wink.gif

Thank you very much.
  • Darek wrote:
    Need help witch Patch:)

I read that Patch is very strong when his covers are 5 because the difference between 4 and 5 covers are important...

I wanted to wait for a yellow cover, just in order to have him 5/3/5 which seems me a great configuration with what i read.

Should i wait for a yellow cover (but i don't know when i get it) and wait with 5/4/4

What is the difference between the red and the yellow ? What is the best configuration ? What is your advice ? icon_e_wink.gif

Thank you very much.

5 red makes his red do more damage.

5 yellow means he, unconditionally, heals every turn.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT go to 5/5/3.

There is debate about whether green and red should be 5/3, 3/5 or 4/4. But the yellow being 5 is absolutely, unequivocally, required to play Patch with any kind of frequency.

At 4 covers for yellow, he heals any time there are more than 10 yellow tokens on the board, and if there are fewer than 10, he heals for about a third to a quarter of that.

Since the main selling point of Patch (and Daken) is how they can sustain their health, having less than 5 yellow makes him worthless.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    Darek wrote:
    Need help witch Patch:)

Thank you very much.

5 red makes his red do more damage.

5 yellow means he, unconditionally, heals every turn.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT go to 5/5/3.

There is debate about whether green and red should be 5/3, 3/5 or 4/4. But the yellow being 5 is absolutely, unequivocally, required to play Patch with any kind of frequency.

At 4 covers for yellow, he heals any time there are more than 10 yellow tokens on the board, and if there are fewer than 10, he heals for about a third to a quarter of that.

Since the main selling point of Patch (and Daken) is how they can sustain their health, having less than 5 yellow makes him worthless.

I second that motion. Before yellow became a useful color, you could run him 5/5/3 as there was almost always enough yellow on the board, but then Thor, Panther, etc. showed up and made matching yellow a high priority, Yellow must be 5, you can kinda get away with it at 4, but 5 is so much better. And the arguement is there 5/3/5, 4/4/5, 3/5/5. Neither are bad. I was once 3/5/5, went 5/3/5, change to 4/4/5 after Mags nerf, and think I may go back to 5/3/5.

3/5/5--this is for the early player without a massive roster, you only have a few decent 3*'s and can't deal with the enemy strike tiles you give out

4/4/5--A little more aggresive than 3/5/5. You value green more than red, but are afraid to give out 3 strike tiles.

5/3/5---Suicide, you create mass havok and damage with this, screw red you have better users for it, you beleive that if you hit a bad match, Patch would survive and at 3 red and no one left, TBTI will down anyone.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    5/3/5---Suicide, you create mass havok and damage with this, screw red you have better users for it, you beleive that if you hit a bad match, Patch would survive and at 3 red and no one left, TBTI will down anyone.

rank 5 berserker rage is the equivalent of sudden death in super smash bros where everyone is at 300% damage and one solid hit will destroy you.
  • Thank you very much for the advice.

If 5/5/3 is such a bad combinaison, I will wait for my yellow cover then.

But his full green is not so bad with Loki, indeed. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Darek wrote:
    Thank you very much for the advice.

If 5/5/3 is such a bad combinaison, I will wait for my yellow cover then.

But his full green is not so bad with Loki, indeed. icon_e_wink.gif

Eh, mine is 5/5/3 because of how the covers fell. It's definitely the 'suicide bomber' build and I plan to get him to 5Y when I can, but it's not all bad. You just have to plan a little more carefully how you're going to set up the board as you go. That damage tho.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've just pulled yet another green cover. My Patch is 4/4/5. I've sold at least 3 greens so far waiting for a red but have lately considered not going 3/5/5 and reading here I see a lot of people agree with 5/3/5. I use Patch most often with Black Panther, who tanks all of his colors. Berserker rage works great for me either with BP's black or early when I can get the enemies' strike tiles cleared. But it's not always easy to clear all of them and BP can sometimes take a bit of a beating. Since I'm not using someone like Sentry those additional 2 strike tiles, while adding a bit more damage to BPs black, seem more likely to me to hamper my play style and cause more damage to me than it's worth. I often have a better red to go to (Stevie R) so am not that interested anymore in getting a 5th red. With all of that in mind, does anyone still think 5/3/5 would be better for me and if so, why?
    Thanks
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With a 5/3/5 build, you can't just launch Beserker Rage when you get enough green AP. You have to plan and have a way of clearing the strike tiles or killing the enemy team in the next move. There are options; Loki, Cap with his stun and his red, anyone with an AOE attack, even cMags still works okay. I like my 5/3/5 build but then, I don't mind planning around the move when I use him. And I've never been that fond of his red power. It's up to you to decide what fits your playstyle better.
  • 3/5/5 is basically a more conservative build. You're less likely to get your own people killed with it. But it also does less damage. I like my 3/5/5, but I didn't do it for his red power (which I use only occasionally); I did it to limit his green. I generally have less to worry about, and can just launch Berserker Rage as soon as he gets it, without worrting as much about the consequences.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch is my lead agent for PVE as 5,3,5. I am loving Doc Ock becuase I match purple strike tiles and Doc's attack tiles let me do close to 3k damage per match. In PVP BR followed by Rage of the Panther works wonders. I also pair him with Daken for longer grinds. Berserker rage is like the old game show "Name that Tune" only you are playing "End this Game!" Patch says "I can end this match in XX turns go!!" You are playing with a little fire, but when you start out with the 2k Damage and each match does 1300 add in one attack tile and the other team is going down fast.
  • People wimp out way too much with Patch for yellow. Patch is hard enough to kill as is with 3 in yellow for all normal gameplay purposes. You want 5 in yellow because at some point when your roster becomes more developed it is increasingly impossible for Patch for own enough colors for TBTI to be useful unless he's major boosted/featured, so you might as well cut your losses early. But if Patch is major boosted a level 256 red 5 TBTI can often take out a level 395 enemy, who is going to otherwise laugh at your regen. It's just such scenarios don't happen very often and you can't build a character around the expectation that he's always going to be major boosted/featured. This also applies to PvP as his regen is more than enough for anything except fighting guys that can instantly kill you (Sentry, X Force) and in that case his regen also doesn't matter, but for the same reason as your roster gets stronger you'll find it increasingly difficult for Patch to own 3 or more colors and when you can no longer own 3 or more colors your TBTI can't kill someone at 100% health reliably and at that point you might as well go with regen instead.