*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• TBTI is a skill that gets increasingly more useless as your roster gets more developed because you can't undo your levels and the chances of anyone but Patch being buffed is much higher than the chance of Patch being buffed in any event. Back in the days where Patch covers came easily you could start with 5/5/3 while you're working on the rest of his colors since he'll have most of your tiles and then move to 5/3/5 once the rest of your roster caught up and made it hard to use TBTI, but now that he's out of rotation you don't have that kind of luxury and 5/3/5 is pretty much it.
  • inEden
    inEden Posts: 41
    I've been wanting Patch for months now. He looks fun to use. I've been lucky this season now that he is back in rotation. So I finally got him at 5/3/5 last week and have him leveled to 110. It's been hard to judge his effectiveness in pve since he is currently boosted but I like him.

I had trouble at the start but once I reconciled myself that I can't put out the green strike tiles and go crazy and have fun, I have improved in using him. Like everyone I use it as a finisher.

My favourite team with Patch is with Hood and Daken. Once I get 1-2 Chemical reaction and 1 hood black I can end the game with Patch's green.

It isn't as good as Hood, Daken and 3* Thor though. But Patch is more sustainable. Hood only tanks yellow for me with Patch in the team.

My next hero to level up after patch is Magneto. Just need more covers for him. He looks really fun to play. Can anyone give thoughts on how well Magneto would pair with Patch?

Furthermore, how would a team of Patch, Magneto and Daken do? I think with strike tiles out Magneto's red will do crazy damage. Magneto tanks blue but it isn't a colour of priority for me.

Also Magneto has the same damage as patch for yellow and green so who would be tanking those colours?
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Patch can tank yellow and red for Magneto.
    For Patch/Daken best third are probably Loki, Daredevil to get rid of tiles Patch gives the enemy or Psylocke, Punisher to use cheap abilities in red and black after Berserker Rage. Classic Storm is fun too, though.
    Patch/Hood/Thor is also good, but then Thor tanks for Patch on red and yellow.
    Patch/Magneto by themselves have nice synergy still, imo. You can add pretty much anyone as the third. For me, best support would be Hood, Loki or Storm.

Anyway, here's my take on what a 5/3/5 Patch can best use as partners:

1) someone with low cost damage abilities to burst a lot of damage after BR and finish the fight - Daken, Psylocke, Punisher, Marvel, Gamora
    2) someone who can make cascades to burst a lot of damage after BR and finish the fight - Magneto, Storm, Loki, She-Hulk, Mystique, Groot, Lord Thor, Hulk
    3) someone who can make the enemy strike tiles "go away" - Loki, Daredevil, Magneto+Storm, Falcon (but too slow by himself), Lady Thor too I guess (but I doubt many who have her would choose Patch over X-force)
    4) someone who can make protect tiles to counteract the strikes you gave - Loki, Magneto, Spidey, Falcon, Cap
    5) someone to stun the enemy so they can't move/abuse the strikes you gave - Marvel, Spidey, Daredevil, Cap, Lady Thor
    6) clogging the purple tiles with other stuff before BR - Spidey, Elektra
    7) someone to ... ok, just Hulk and/or Marvel to actually get hit hard and win the fight quickly at the cost of probably needing health pack(s) afterwards icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I recently changed my Patch build from 5/3/5 to 5/5/3 for one reason. If you have an X-Force (like I do), then you won't be using Patch unless he is boosted. If he is boosted he can cover all his tiles, and usually that means a 10k TBTI or higher. 700+ damage per AP, I will take it.
  • I can't think of a reason lowering his yellow would ever be a good idea. It turns him from someone who shrugs off DP's red into a low health **** BP.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    I recently changed my Patch build from 5/3/5 to 5/5/3 for one reason. If you have an X-Force (like I do), then you won't be using Patch unless he is boosted. If he is boosted he can cover all his tiles, and usually that means a 10k TBTI or higher. 700+ damage per AP, I will take it.

I have an X-Force, and still use Patch on all PVP climbs because he can last much, much longer. Lowering his yellow means he'd be useless. X-Force's heal is much too unreliable to use him for climbing; he'll get worn down too much.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    My Patch is at 4/4/5 because those were the first 13 covers that I have been given. I now pulled a Green from a Heroic. He is at 103 so it'll be awhile before he reaches max. Is 5/3/5 the better build while leveling?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    TazFTW wrote:
    My Patch is at 4/4/5 because those were the first 13 covers that I have been given. I now pulled a Green from a Heroic. He is at 103 so it'll be awhile before he reaches max. Is 5/3/5 the better build while leveling?
    Can you clarify?

Is your main team other 166s and you're wondering what Patch's most useful build is while leveling him?

Or are you a transitioner and you want his best build while developing your overall roster?

If you run a specific combo as your main team (tons of 3* combos including BP/Doom/Loki, 2* combos are limited to Stormneto and a risky OBW pairing), I'd run 5/3/5. If he is literally your only playable 3*, it might be worth waiting for a red. It boils down to playstyle.

Basically if Patch is single-handedly carrying your roster, or if you ONLY use him when buffed, 3/5/5. If you use him in combos, generally 5/3/5 is better.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    TazFTW wrote:
    When you use Patch now which of the following do you find yourself thinking more?

1. I wish Berserker Rage put out more strike tiles.
    2. I wish TBTI was more powerful.

That answers your question. icon_e_smile.gif

I was at 4/4/5 for a long time and it's fairly underwhelming because while both his attacks still pack a punch they're not as strong as I felt they should be. Patch really needs to be 3/5/5 or 5/3/5--keeping any skill at 4 just nerfs him because you're literally doubling the number of strike tiles or damage from TBTI by going from 3 covers to 5 covers.

Another way to look at it--how do you use Berserker Rage now? Do you use it as soon as you collect 9 green AP or do you save it until you have a couple other abilities ready to file or the enemy is almost dead? If you like to fire it as soon as you can, 3/5/5 might be the better build for you. If you prefer to save up a couple other cheap abilities and then fire everything at once and annihilate the other team in a move or two then 5/3/5 is probably better.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    More importantly, how often do you actually get 14 redtile.png before the game is over, either for you or for the enemy
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Trisul wrote:
    Can you clarify?

Is your main team other 166s and you're wondering what Patch's most useful build is while leveling him?

Or are you a transitioner and you want his best build while developing your overall roster?

If you run a specific combo as your main team (tons of 3* combos including BP/Doom/Loki, 2* combos are limited to Stormneto and a risky OBW pairing), I'd run 5/3/5. If he is literally your only playable 3*, it might be worth waiting for a red. It boils down to playstyle.

Basically if Patch is single-handedly carrying your roster, or if you ONLY use him when buffed, 3/5/5. If you use him in combos, generally 5/3/5 is better.

Transitioner. I have everyone but only 1 fully maxed 3*. My roster levels above Patch's 103 is:

Punisher (166)
    Hulk (158/166)
    Spider-Man (155/166)
    LThor (140/140)
    LCap (130/166)
    Psylocke (125/166)
    CMags (110/140)
    Sentry (107/114)
    Black Panther (106/117)

Pun was my first maxed covered 3* and so I leveled him to 166 just so that I can finally say that I had a maxed 3*. Ever since then I've been giving everyone 5 levels from the top to bottom. I try to use everyone to conserve health packs. I also try to use rainbow teams to lessen the impact of a bad board.
    vudu3 wrote:
    When you use Patch now which of the following do you find yourself thinking more?

1. I wish Berserker Rage put out more strike tiles.
    2. I wish TBTI was more powerful.

That answers your question. icon_e_smile.gif

I was at 4/4/5 for a long time and it's fairly underwhelming because while both his attacks still pack a punch they're not as strong as I felt they should be. Patch really needs to be 3/5/5 or 5/3/5--keeping any skill at 4 just nerfs him because you're literally doubling the number of strike tiles or damage from TBTI by going from 3 covers to 5 covers.

Another way to look at it--how do you use Berserker Rage now? Do you use it as soon as you collect 9 green AP or do you save it until you have a couple other abilities ready to file or the enemy is almost dead? If you like to fire it as soon as you can, 3/5/5 might be the better build for you. If you prefer to save up a couple other cheap abilities and then fire everything at once and annihilate the other team in a move or two then 5/3/5 is probably better.

When he was boosted recently, I would prioritize green. If I saw that I could also get red then I would conserve the green and use Rage to down one character and then hit the next with TBTI.

Obviously I asked this because have the quandary of using the green cover and then needing 2 red to respec later. My current line of thinking is to use the green because TBTI needs Patch tanking to shine and at lower levels it'll be dependent on who I team him up with.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taz, I'd definitely go 5/3/5 in your shoes. When Patch is not head and shoulders over everyone else TBTI just isn't worth it.
  • Hi there!

I have patch for a while now, but never really use him, because i cant really handle his 6 purple strike problem.
    But i REALLY want to use him icon_e_smile.gif
    I could use him with Hulk, Daredevil or Doom. What do you guys think about those teams?

I rejoined the game a few days ago, thats why i am not really up to date about tactics icon_e_smile.gif

thx
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    coRexx wrote:
    Hi there!

I have patch for a while now, but never really use him, because i cant really handle his 6 purple strike problem.
    I could use him with Hulk, Daredevil or Doom. What do you guys think about those teams?

I rejoined the game a few days ago, thats why i am not really up to date about tactics icon_e_smile.gif

thx

If you have Doom's new purple power, then he is a great pair with Patch and will mostly solve the enemy strike tile problem (sadly, if you didn't get the this cover when it was given away as a reward recently, then you are at the mercy of the RNG).

Hulk and daredevil are also good pairings for Patch if you have the right covers. Daredevil's purple will destroy enemy strike tiles. And if you have five in Hulk's black, then patch/hulk is an awesome (if healthpack heavy) combo that can take out anyone with strike-tile-enhanced aoe anger damage.

And the marquee pairing for Patch is still probably Loki (though doom isn't far behind). With 9 green and 11 black, you can create 6 massive friendly strike tiles and six massive friendly protect tiles. Plus you get the pleasure of Loki's awesome new green power (which is quite powerful on defense).

Another strategy for using patch is bring someone with a really cheap ability (cage, or psylocke, or punisher's black, gamora's red, etc), and hold off on casting berserker rage until you spam that other cheap ability. You don't have to worry about the enemy strike tiles if you end the game all at once.
  • Vhailorx wrote:
    coRexx wrote:
    Hi there!

thx

If you have Doom's new purple power, then he is a great pair with Patch and will mostly solve the enemy strike tile problem (sadly, if you didn't get the this cover when it was given away as a reward recently, then you are at the mercy of the RNG).

Hulk and daredevil are also good pairings for Patch if you have the right covers. Daredevil's purple will destroy enemy strike tiles. And if you have five in Hulk's black, then patch/hulk is an awesome (if healthpack heavy) combo that can take out anyone with strike-tile-enhanced aoe anger damage.

And the marquee pairing for Patch is still probably Loki (though doom isn't far behind). With 9 green and 11 black, you can create 6 massive friendly strike tiles and six massive friendly protect tiles. Plus you get the pleasure of Loki's awesome new green power (which is quite powerful on defense).

Another strategy for using patch is bring someone with a really cheap ability (cage, or psylocke, or punisher's black, gamora's red, etc), and hold off on casting berserker rage until you spam that other cheap ability. You don't have to worry about the enemy strike tiles if you end the game all at once.

Thx for your AWESOME information Vhailorx!

I have Dooms new power, because i got it from a heroic token (yayyyyy), and thats when i start to think about bringing back patch.
    But i have to buy the other 4 covers (what wouldnt a big issue, but i wanted to know if this team is good, but i think it is fairly strong).

My "problem" with daredevil, for me he is kind of a niche character... and you say it hulk + patch is health pack heavy but i guess this team can beat anybody.
    Maybe you can help me with an issue i have about hulk and patch.
    They have the same dmg at max lvl, so why is hulk tanking then to create those anger tiles?

I also considered loki, but i sadly dont have the covers right now.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    coRexx wrote:
    and you say it hulk + patch is health pack heavy but i guess this team can beat anybody.
    They have the same dmg at max lvl, so why is hulk tanking then to create those anger tiles?
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21933&p=277941&hilit=hulk%2Fpatch#p277941

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5907&p=109188&hilit=priority+center#p109188
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    coRexx wrote:
    Thx for your AWESOME information Vhailorx!

I have Dooms new power, because i got it from a heroic token (yayyyyy), and thats when i start to think about bringing back patch.
    But i have to buy the other 4 covers (what wouldnt a big issue, but i wanted to know if this team is good, but i think it is fairly strong).

My "problem" with daredevil, for me he is kind of a niche character... and you say it hulk + patch is health pack heavy but i guess this team can beat anybody.

I also considered loki, but i sadly dont have the covers right now.
    You don't really need more than one cover in Doom's Diabolical plan to benefit since what you want is for him to put traps on purple tiles, and he does that just fine on level 1. More covers just means he deals more damage when he triggers the traps, which of course is nice, but with lots of strike tiles on the board you'll get lots of damage anyway.
    Daredevil is a bit niche, that is true, but all his powers work well with Patch - purple can remove some strike tiles, blue can stun the enemy (and stop them from exploiting the strike tiles you gave them icon_e_smile.gif) and red lets you double dip on strike tile damage if you trigger it yourself. It's not a high-end combo, but it is very effective.
    In my experience, when I run Hulk and Patch I usually just need to use a single health pack on Hulk, but your mileage may obviously vary. I only break out that combo for the very toughest nodes though.
  • I don't understand why people are so in love with the patch doom concept. The best thing about zerker rage is that it comes out after 3 green matches. You're really going to wait the x turns (where x is the number of purples on the board, plus as many as fall in from the match) before you fire off a 9 ap ability?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tried out Patch Doom a little bit in PvE, and I don't see it: it takes forever to saturate the entire board with trap tiles.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    ark123 wrote:
    I don't understand why people are so in love with the patch doom concept. The best thing about zerker rage is that it comes out after 3 green matches. You're really going to wait the x turns (where x is the number of purples on the board, plus as many as fall in from the match) before you fire off a 9 ap ability?
    People really, REALLY hate those black purple strike tiles. icon_e_wink.gif

I think the principle is that it doesn't have to cover every tile. Even if, say, 3 are open, you can feel pretty good about 6 strike tiles for 3 of theirs.