*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I had 4/5/4 and was leaning to 3/5/5 as the safest build, and ultimately did just that, choosing 3/5/5.
    From my experience, I often took too much damage for my liking from my own level 4 green while not being able to heal fast enough with just 4 yellow. I am well able to abuse Magneto, but sometimes the board just doesn't cooperate, so having 5 green is definitely for the 100% wins (boosted ones), and fast at that, i.e. for shield-hopping. I doubt there are that many shieldhoppers outside top 5-10 alliances.
    3 green offers only a bit less damage than 4 green, while 5 yellow firmly makes Patch the healthpacks-what-healthpacks guy (unless you get real unlucky and get wiped).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Every skill at 5 has a great added value, but it depends of the team you want to build around him.

I've running a 5/3/5 since the begining and 5 at green is not as risky as it seems if you chose the right moment (a posible pink match when there are 6 or less purple on the board grants you to wipe 3 of thouse dangerous strike damage) or team (Cmag, Loki, BP, Punisher, ...).

Hulk and Punisher are a good combo. Berseker Rage (1780 damage) with an available match for Hulk will trigger Anger (5 black for green generation, damage both teams but only the enemy gets the additional damage from strike tiles) punisher with 7 black use molotov for 1400+ AOE damage plus 8 red for a retribution (at 5 blows anyone below 40%HP). You can save as much AP to fire it when you now you can finish the game in one or two movements.
    BP blows them all too with his overkill balck (plus 888 from strike tiles to all) but is harder to get those 12 black AP (I enjoy it at predator and prey).
    A Magnetic translocation with Mag at 5 purple is overkill too (spamming red at 5 or abussing blue at 5 to makes him his BFF).
    A Psi Katana or other power that leaves an attack tile grant that 888 every turn plus the match damage (888 + 1K average) great if you have a tank that gets some damage.

There are multiple combinations but green can't be used as a panic button or a fast kill (Punisher it's much better at that point), because one lucky cascade from the enemy team can wipe out yours in seconds.

I think he is one of the most interesting heroes in the game and I keep enjoying him icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I REALLY need help!
    I´m using 4 / 4 / 5 patch and have 3 other covers from the last pvp,
    I cant decide between 4/5/4 or 5/3/5, since it goes according to whoever I´m paired with ... If i have a red user (like c mag) it would make a lot of sense to go 5/3/5 and if I dont have a red striker it makes an awful lot of sense to go 4/5/4 .... I tried checking the build of the top ranked people still it varies a whole lot ... I think 5/3/5 barely wins but if I were to play without cmag or if he gets nerfed this build wont make much sense anymore ...
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My opinion: go with 5/3/5. This is the build I use and though cMags is the obvious pairing, you can still manage the strike tiles without cMags. The thing with Beserker Rage at 5 is that you have to be careful as to when you use it. You have to make sure that you have enough AP or matches not just to use Beserker Rage, but also to take the enemy team out or eliminate the strike tiles. Psylocke works pretty well, Punisher with his black (anyone with an attack that hits all enemies, really). If you have Patch and Daken, with their healing they can usually just match the opposing team to death, and there's always Loki, too.

If you don't want to go 5 in green, I wouldn't stay at 4/5/4, though -- respec to 3/5/5 when you have a chance.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Adriano, if you are okay with only ever running Patch alongside Magneto (everything else is terribly unsafe and risky if you don't boost every fight, and Loki still needs 11 black to help any), 5/3/5 is alright. It's in fact the most popular build among some top alliances, who often shield-hop and need to end their fights at the speed of light. I am a common joe and prefer consistency, not having to boost in case of a bad board, and trust me, with Magneto you get to use both his red and Patches', especially if Magneto's only costs 2. I will do some matches with 3-5-5 Patch/5-5-3 Magneto and show you pics.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Manly people go for a 5/3/5 build. If that's not enough of a reason for you..... icon_rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness you should always have 5 in his yellow. Having the healing board independent is such an ENORMOUS boost. If you're willing to rely on the number of a certain colour on the board level Daken instead. His heal is larger than Patch's but cannot remove the board requirement.

Once we get 5 in yellow out of the way that leaves the question of green/red distribution. You're right to point out the dependance on who he's paired with but only got half the story. While having a red you want to use, especially if it happens to work particularly well with a lot of risky strike tiles is a good nod towards 5 green it's not the only issue.

In order for more red to be worthwhile Patch needs to tank as many colours as possible. So look at the heroes you want to pair him up with and see what colours they'll take from him. Some heroes (L.Thor for example) can steal 2/3 of his high match value colours which really guts his red's usefullness plus featured pvp heroes will be beyond your control when it comes to colour tanking.

For that reason i'm specced 5/3/5. It's a bad build for PvP defence IMO (giving away strike tiles to players is risky as hell and the AI doesn't check the green/purple balance before using beserk rage so might get 2 green strikes for you and the full complement for the other player) BUT it'll always do its job for me regardless of combinations.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had run 3/5/5 until this Storm PvE where I just happened to get 2 Green Patch covers. My C. Mags was 5/5/3 so i decided to try it and went Patch 5/3/5. Omg is it awesome and scary at the same time. The only negative of 5/3/5 is that if you don't time it correctly you will end up taking a lot of damage from your own strike tiles. That being said, I don't notice the reduced red. I never realized how little I used it until now. If Patch is last man standing, lvl 3, 4 or 5 red is enough to one shot people. So from my own personal experience, the only reason not to have 5 green, is because you are scared of enemy strike tiles, not because you want red.

After multiple games, I really beleive Patch needs a buff and that would be to The Best There is. Because TBTI is so tile dependent, it is only truly effective if he can tank 3 colors. Unless Patch is buffed that never happens, and if he is, you really only need lvl 3 TBTI anyway. So the only reason not to go 5 in green is because you can't deal with the extra strike tiles. The other way is to flip flop red and green's enemy strike tiles, having TBTI given enemy the full strike tile and Bezerker rage giving them the 1/2 strike tile.
  • Unknown
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:
    Manly people go for a 5/3/5 build. If that's not enough of a reason for you..... icon_rolleyes.gif
    It's a bad build for PvP defence IMO (giving away strike tiles to players is risky as hell and the AI doesn't check the green/purple balance before using beserk rage so might get 2 green strikes for you and the full complement for the other player) BUT it'll always do its job for me regardless of combinations.
    For defence pair him with Hulk (5 black) enemy can't overwrite the six tiles in a move. If hulk gets damage (with strike tiles) will trigger Anger (being a tank should be the last man standing), generating green (plus possible cascades) and damaging your team for a small ammount (without enemy strike tiles damage added) an to the other team (with your strike tiles added). I had a lot of defensive victories at the season I simulator runing (Patch 5/3/5; CMag 5/3/5 ; Hulk 5/3/5). icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well I gone 5/3/5 still I can change my mind since i have 2 covers..
    why most people dont like 4/4/5 ? It seems the safest to date build ... decent red damage and no suicidal green
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AdrianoD, the argument against 4/4/5 (iirc) boils down to the fact that there's a slight increase in damage from level 3 red/green to level 4 red/green and a big increase in damage from level 4 red/green to level 5 red/green. So you're better off picking either red or green to max out. I think there might be a detailed post somewhere in this thread with actual numbers for each of the builds.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    AdrianoD wrote:
    Well I gone 5/3/5 still I can change my mind since i have 2 covers..
    why most people dont like 4/4/5 ? It seems the safest to date build ... decent red damage and no suicidal green

I think because 4 in red is just terrible. the jump from lvl 4 to lvl 5 red is insane to the point it's viable even tanking only 2 colors, still expensive, but viable, and what's the loss of one extra strike tile? Where as the other thought, red is terrible, and while risky, the jump from green 4 to green 5 and an extra 3 dmg per match is a fun thing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My issue with his red is that I rarely use it.

Often times you are running with a buffed character that is dominating many of the icons on the tiles or you are running with Cmags and will be using his red exclusively.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:

Often times you are running with a buffed character that is dominating many of the icons on the tiles or you are running with Cmags and will be using his red exclusively.

That was the issue I was running into as well. I never used it. Even when not paired with C.Mags I just didn't find myself using it. It's also why I have been debating switching my Punisher from 3/5/5 to 5/5/3 because I never use red, but then ran into some big beefy guys recently as was oh so glad I kept him 3/5/5.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:

That was the issue I was running into as well. I never used it. Even when not paired with C.Mags I just didn't find myself using it. It's also why I have been debating switching my Punisher from 3/5/5 to 5/5/3 because I never use red, but then ran into some big beefy guys recently as was oh so glad I kept him 3/5/5.

There are a few combos to keep Patch on at least three colors

If you paired him with Sentry, Wolvie actually tanks 5 colors, same with Hulk, and if you pair him with Rags he'll tank all six.

One combo where you get a rainbow of actives that I have found where Patch can tank 3 colors, is Patch/C.Mags/Black Panther. Patch tanks Red, Purple and Green.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I promised a screenshot which proves that it's entirely possible to use both Magneto and Patch's red in a match. I usually run the Hood as the third, but since he influences AP acquisition, I tried to sub in Psy instead. Of course this is still the infamous Jungle, but hey, none of these 3 characters has a 4 environment strength. Red explosion happened closer to the end of the match partly thanks to 2x Thorned Rose and partly thanks to a lot of cascades. It didn't matter if I could spam Magneto's Projectiles, too, but against 11-13k health behemoths that are buffed Sentry, BP, Hulk and LT, that could happen in almost every match. Add Hood and it's practically guaranteed, on any map, even Latveria/City.

oYgP5PVl.png
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The arguement isn't that it's impossible to get that much red, just unlikely that you'd get it without finishing the battle earlier. You had 2 MTs in the chamber as well, surely one of those would have been able to be fired off before that, easily taking out that hulk
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Of course, it's Thorned Rose. Need to get better pics to illustrate the case. My purple is weak at level 3, I don't collect purple on purpose usually (also weak match damage for purple). Just had another battle fielding Hood/Magneto/Patch, but since I barely took turns, Hood didn't do that much, I didn't use Thorned Rose, either, the board was not overfilling with red and yet I still had spammed red in the beginning freely and had 14 red by the end to oneshot enemy maxed Hulk.

Oh and using BTI to oneshot someone is SO gratifying, there are no words for that icon_lol.gif And it's kinda fast, too...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yea, anytime you have 17+ AP across the board in a match, that is not a usual match. At least not one where you are trying to work efficiently and win as quickly as possible.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    But I already said that I didn't choose 3/5/5 over 5/3/5 to play as fast as possible D: All I want to say is that BTI is a viable attack on any team that doesn't detract too much from Patch. LT usually deals more overall damage with 14 AP, but he might not down someone immediately, so it all depends.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's kind of like taking a 5/3/5 cmags right now. Sure MT (and TBTI) are capable of pretty good damage, but it's kind of missing the point of the character in the current meta