*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ariakos wrote:
    I'm running 3/5/5 Patch so far but just got green Patch cover from a token. Now I'm wondering if I should respec him to 4/5/4. I'm not going for 5/5/3 since I think full 5 green is just too kamikaze. But 4/5/4 might be a good compromise between regeneration and green offensive...

The downside to having 5 in BTI is your team comp restrictions. The skill is most powerful when patch is tanking more colours. Since the best teams are rainbow, this limits the viability of the skill. The benefit to BTI is interesting, if you dont have patch tanking colors to begin with, once your other characters die, he'll be tanking more. This might be of some use to combat scaling at the cost of health packs.

But to get more on point, 5g is so powerful it breaks the game when combined with cmags. I've been abusing these two for a long time and will continue to do so until the dev's fix this issue. 5g, when combined with a spamable skill means you can kill the entire enemy team after casting berzerk, which also means there are no draw backs. The real diference between red and green is that green synergises with multiple other characters, while red does not. Green is also pretty ap friendly.

5y is very cool also. It is far from essential, but it does make patch into a decent tank on offence. On defence it does very little as your opponent has plenty of ways to deal with patch in one turn.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shamusyeah wrote:
    Ariakos wrote:
    I'm running 3/5/5 Patch so far but just got green Patch cover from a token. Now I'm wondering if I should respec him to 4/5/4. I'm not going for 5/5/3 since I think full 5 green is just too kamikaze. But 4/5/4 might be a good compromise between regeneration and green offensive...

The downside to having 5 in BTI is your team comp restrictions. The skill is most powerful when patch is tanking more colours. Since the best teams are rainbow, this limits the viability of the skill. The benefit to BTI is interesting, if you dont have patch tanking colors to begin with, once your other characters die, he'll be tanking more. This might be of some use to combat scaling at the cost of health packs.

But to get more on point, 5g is so powerful it breaks the game when combined with cmags. I've been abusing these two for a long time and will continue to do so until the dev's fix this issue. 5g, when combined with a spamable skill means you can kill the entire enemy team after casting berzerk, which also means there are no draw backs. The real diference between red and green is that green synergises with multiple other characters, while red does not. Green is also pretty ap friendly.

5y is very cool also. It is far from essential, but it does make patch into a decent tank on offence. On defence it does very little as your opponent has plenty of ways to deal with patch in one turn.

I will agree to disagree. Aside from abusing the C.Mags 5 in green is not always optimal where 5 in red is mandatory. You state that TBTI loses power when playing in rainbow, while that is true, it's all the more reason to go 5 into red so you can max the damage with less tiles out. The difference between lvl 4 red and lvl 5 red is 81 damage per tile, and the difference between lvl 3 red and lvl 5 red is 118 per tile. It's also not that hard to make sure Patch gets multiple tiles for red, you just have to generally go 5 colors vs all 6 since he secretly wins most blue and purple on off color characters. Also you say Patch is bad on defnense? I disagree, the way most people run him, yes, but if you design your comp to where a team has to decide Patch or another, you are going to win. Because Patch forces teams to use abilties to deal with him because he's pretty much tile match damage proof. Like my favorite Patch/Cap/Hood. It is a very difficult comp to deal with. Most people will target Hood, and if you place Patch in front he will tank, Green, Red and Purple which makes TBTI very, very gruesome. So you'll either be eating shield throws to the face or some pissed off claws.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem is that his green is only 9, which is quite easily castable, whereas his red is 14, which is....less so.Though yes, 3/5/5 is a lot less of a liability on defense. Either way, once he casts the green, match damage is back on the table.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    The problem is that his green is only 9, which is quite easily castable, whereas his red is 14, which is....less so.Though yes, 3/5/5 is a lot less of a liability on defense. Either way, once he casts the green, match damage is back on the table.

and therein lies the rub. Do you go for max dmg via C.Mags or do you build a more well rounded Patch? I think if you run a 5/5/3 C.mags it's pretty obvious 5/3/5 or 5/5/3 is the prefered Patch for you. If you run C.Mags 5/3/5 or even 5/4/4 then 3/5/5 or 4/5/4 becomes a more viable option
  • Unknown
    Options
    5y is good for PvE, especially against the ultra high level guys that can kill you by just match 3s. For PvP I think its impact is considerably less, because everyone who attacks you should know how to deal with a 5y Patch, and on offense Patch takes way less damage than anyone else even with just 3y. Even when Patch is tanking 3 colors (which is hard because PvP usually has a featured character that will take Patch's colors away if he's at a decent level) he always ends up with much higher health than your other two guys, and those two guys will usually use up your 5 health packs before Patch even needs one.

The Best There Is improves as people on your team dies, which is more useful in PvE. In PvP if someone dies you're probably screwed, but in PvE that's actually pretty normal against the level 300+ stuff, and those guys also have enough HP that getting a 5 digit The Best There Is actually matters.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I just went ahead and respecced my Patch to 4/5/4. No significant change to one way or another so far. I mean yeah, I get one extra strike tile and heal a little less situationally, but that's it. Going to 5/5/3 might be more drastic change but in my opinion all three are viable choices (553, 454, 355) and just have slightly different flavors. Patch sure is one suave character. icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Ariakos wrote:
    I just went ahead and respecced my Patch to 4/5/4. No significant change to one way or another so far. I mean yeah, I get one extra strike tile and heal a little less situationally, but that's it. Going to 5/5/3 might be more drastic change but in my opinion all three are viable choices (553, 454, 355) and just have slightly different flavors. Patch sure is one suave character. icon_lol.gif

Spot on. I'm 3/5/5 and have been seriously thinking 4/5/4, and that shouldn't effect my play I agree thought, 5/5/3 seems extremely drastic, so I think I'll experiment with 4/5/4 for ahwile
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Generally thought on Patch build. Assume C.Mags and Spiderman are out of the game, is 5/5/3 the build of choice or something else?
  • Phaserhawk
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I know there is some debate on what is the best Patch build, 5/5/3, 4/5/4, or 3/5/5 so I thought I would poke that bear with a twist on the question.

Edited to add final poll results.

Item - Votes - % of Total Votes
    5/5/3 - 12 - 21%
    4/5/4 - 4 - 7%
    3/5/5 - 30 - 52%
    Something Else - 12 - 21%
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I know there is some debate on what is the best Patch build, 5/5/3, 4/5/4, or 3/5/5 so I thought I would poke that bear with a twist on the question.

Am I right in assuming the reason for the C.Mags and Spider quote is because:

Mags: Spamming red with tons of patch tiles on the board gives crazy amounts of damage
    Spidey: Being able to stunlock the other team means you don't have to worry about littering the board with enemy strike tiles

?
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Meto5000 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Am I right in assuming the reason for the C.Mags and Spider quote is because:

Mags: Spamming red with tons of patch tiles on the board gives crazy amounts of damage
    Spidey: Being able to stunlock the other team means you don't have to worry about littering the board with enemy strike tiles

?

correct, because with constant spam or stun lock and no repurcussion, 5/5/3 Patch is the far superior build, I'm wondering if that wasn't possible, what people would believe the "best build" would be
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Patch doesn't have a "correct build". His build should be tailored towards your team and situation.

5/5/3 is best for fast paced PvP heavy offense or if you have Spiderman.
    5/3/5 is great in PvE for high level goons. Its also common since many people have another high hitting red that they use.
    4/4/5 is a great tank build that hedges your offensive bets.

There are other options but Patch is versatile enough that your build should be determined by the following...

1. Do you need him to be a tank?
    2. Can you utilize/mitigate the strike tiles that his green makes?
    3. Will Patch's red be your primary red?

Then you usually have to prioritize based on those 3 answers but if they are all important, then you may end up taking some form of 4/4/5 build.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If Loki is in your party, 5 green is A-OK. You have to wait a little longer to use Berserker Rage, but you can walk out of a battle virtually unscathed after you convert all those strike tiles to defense. I'm reasonably sure that I ruined myself with scaling after Patch/Loki-ing my way through round two of the simulator.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sorry, Phaserhawk, I misread your post. I have 4 red and 4 yellow right now, but my Patch is a little under-leveled and so his icon doesn't show up all that much. Assuming you have him all grown up and competitive, I think 5/5/3 would be a fine build.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Calling tiny kitty on 5/3/5 not being included.

The only wrong way, I'd say, is 4/4/5, since both green and red receive a SIGNIFICANT boost by going to 5
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/3/5 is the S.H.I.E.L.D. approved build of choice right now. The reasoning being that if you're using Patch, you're probably using C. Mags with 5 red, and if you're using C. Mags with 5 red, TBTI does actual nothing. I started with a 3/5/5 Patch (that I still haven't leveled), but I'm switching over to 5/3/5 because I'm thinking that TBTI isn't worth not having massive numbers of strike tiles or constant regeneration.
  • Spoit
    Options
    5/3/5 is the S.H.I.E.L.D. approved build of choice right now. The reasoning being that if you're using Patch, you're probably using C. Mags with 5 red, and if you're using C. Mags with 5 red, TBTI does actual nothing. I started with a 3/5/5 Patch (that I still haven't leveled), but I'm switching over to 5/3/5 because I'm thinking that TBTI isn't worth not having massive numbers of strike tiles or constant regeneration.
    TBTI just costs too much red. With the extra ways to generate green, it'salmost as easy to get 18 green than 14 red
  • Unknown
    Options

Yes, but the question states with C Mags and Spidey out of the game, what would you run?

5 Green has no repercussions when you have your opponent locked down with Spidey or C Mags. Things get trickier if you can't use them.

I personally started out as 5/3/5, used it to great effect, but this was a few months ago, back when a lot of people ran Spidey teams. What I found out in PvP was that a 5 Green Patch was a huge liability, because people would just wait until Patch casted Bezerker Rage, then stunlock my team to easy victory. Great offsense, very poor defense. 5/3/5 Patch is just a giant "hit me" sign for any opponent running Spidey.

I switched to 3/5/5 and I enjoy this build more. 14 red is NOT that hard to get, and it usually is a game-ender if it goes off. Having to mitigate 3 strike tiles is much easier than 6. Usually with 3 opposing tiles, you can match away at least 1 of them, and if you run C. Mags you can get rid of the other 2 easily.

Again, no argument from me that 5 Green Patch and 5 Red Mags is the ultimate way to go.....but that is gonna change when Mags gets his "tuning".

In the post-nerf Spidey/Cmag world, I would stick with 3/5/5.
  • Spoit
    Options
    You really don't need to mitigate all the tiles. if you can get it down to 3 or 4 (ie have a good purple match set up), patch can weather the hits, and regen it back in the next fight
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't get why people want regen for PvP. Patch isn't going to take enough damage on PvP before your other 2 guys need health packs, and he usually only tanks 2 color in a PvP event if your featured character is high enough because that guy will take whatever colors he shares with Patch + all of Patch's weak colors, and only OBW/GSBW shares no colors with Patch in tile strength.

Regen is very important for PvE now that match 3s have a huge impact on the up to level 395 enemies, but TBTI is also surprisingly relevent against those guys too so there are no easy choices. But if you don't use him a lot in PvE, 5/5/3 is by far the best. You simply can't reliably tank with Patch in the current PvP structure (featured hero almost always has at least 4 colors of your team is at all decent level) to make good use of his regen.