*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think Punisher is still a good match, even if you only use him for his black. It quickly ramps up to 3,4,5,6 attack tiles, all boosted with Patch's green and they'll wreck anything.

The team I'm currently working on is Patch, C.Magneto and Punisher. Though I freely admit it's in large part because Magneto and Punisher covers were easy to come by, while I had trouble with Hulk or IM40 covers for example.
  • My personal favorite would be Patch/Hood/Black Panther. Since I don't have any luck with Hood covers, I'm aiming for Patch/OBW/BP for now.

Before BP was out, I was actually working towards getting IM40 ready, but couldn't get his yellow cover up until a few days ago.
  • Loki and Magneto, hands down. I played with this combo for weeks when patch first came out. The key however, is to have at least 4 in Mags' Red, and 5 is amazing. If I have at least 6 red, and 9 green, the fight is over. Pop berzerk rage, then use Mags' Blue to make as many matches as possible, and as soon as no blue matches are available, use Magneto's red for 1000+ damage for 3 or 2 red mana, plus it is fairly likely to create cascades, each using every strike tile. And Loki is there to either take away the opponent's strike tiles, or more often I only use him for his purple to mix up the board while I'm trying to work towards my 9 green 6 red.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    RangoFett wrote:
    Loki and Magneto, hands down. I played with this combo for weeks when patch first came out. The key however, is to have at least 4 in Mags' Red, and 5 is amazing. If I have at least 6 red, and 9 green, the fight is over. Pop berzerk rage, then use Mags' Blue to make as many matches as possible, and as soon as no blue matches are available, use Magneto's red for 1000+ damage for 3 or 2 red mana, plus it is fairly likely to create cascades, each using every strike tile. And Loki is there to either take away the opponent's strike tiles, or more often I only use him for his purple to mix up the board while I'm trying to work towards my 9 green 6 red.

I would agree. I've found this pairing extremely fun, especially in LR. Once strike tiles are down, I don't ever use Mags' purple. Loki's only requires 5 and usually gets cascades that end up at least 1/2 as much damage as translocation plus you generate AP to feed Mags' Red/Blue machine. Throw in the fact that Loki flips the opposing strike tiles and you are in for a good time!
  • Psylocke was a killer companion - when she was buffed. The ability to build some AP, Berserker Rage and then go off with her strike tile creation/attack tile creation was a lot of fun. I don't feel her tiles do enough damage without the buff though.

Really, anyone that will deprive the other team of Purple, or lock them down (a la IW), is a good choice. Loki is a fun choice but you need his Black skill maxed out in order to be useful, and even then it's kind of a gimmicky way to play.

Magneto is a good choice, but I feel there are better uses for his power than simply converting enemy strike tiles --- him going after purple for his big attack might be the best reason to use him.

The Hulk is my personal favorite though --- Once you Rage, start matching with colors that will put Hulk out in front. Your opponent will hit you, buffed by Rage, and that's okay -- because Hulk's Anger only increases damage to your opponent, not to yourself. So each Anger will utilize all the created strike tiles and start hitting your opponent's entire team for massive damage. If they chain through 2-3 attacks and hit hulk for a lot, then each attack will create a Countdown Tile. Since you're generating so much green AP, you can even Rage again. Hulk might get beat up a bit, but you will annihilate the other team in a pretty effortless awy.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After I was posting I realized Patch-Hood-IM40 are also good, as Hood's black can reduce the timer count on IM40's yellow tiles, getting you that needed AP 1 turn sooner, however, IM40 and Hood fight for yellow.
  • Patch+CMags+whatever.

Most times I use OBW as third, but many others fit. Black-users worked fine, in last pvp psylocke was great third. Or anything dropping attack tile.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch panther OBW

Widow keeps your opponent locked down until you can pop berserk, panther mass death black ability. Also you can still get double strike bonus while matching OBW.
  • The Hulk is my personal favorite though --- Once you Rage, start matching with colors that will put Hulk out in front. Your opponent will hit you, buffed by Rage, and that's okay -- because Hulk's Anger only increases damage to your opponent, not to yourself. So each Anger will utilize all the created strike tiles and start hitting your opponent's entire team for massive damage. If they chain through 2-3 attacks and hit hulk for a lot, then each attack will create a Countdown Tile. Since you're generating so much green AP, you can even Rage again. Hulk might get beat up a bit, but you will annihilate the other team in a pretty effortless awy.

That requires 5 anger, 4 will not do. I found hulk+patch fair deterrent value but generally not good on attack and really similarly bad on defense too: oasis, anger, Thor yellow dumps greens and greens kill the patch strike tiles, leaving only the purples.

I recall a few games my hulk dies in like 2 turns from a simple cascade because of the purple strikes.

Lately I use patch with CMags and shoot berseker well prepared with blues and reds. Together they form an insane killer machine and if all else fails you just neutralize the strikes and fall back to other tactics.
  • Gigas Breaker
    Gigas Breaker Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    During the Hulk event I had Patch and C Storm vs Hulk.

Bererker Rage
    Anger
    Raging Tempest
    Anger
    Raging Tempest
    Anger
    Raging Tempest
    Lol
  • I think sending Patch against Hulk is suboptimal play icon_e_smile.gif
  • Magneto classic and Patch works fine. Most of the time you don't even need Spiderman because the other side dies on the term you drop Berserker Rage from your red/blue spam.

Black Panther's blue will probably offset a significant chunk of Patch's Berserker Rage, but it's not as foolproof as IW, though BP also does other useful stuff that IW generally do not.
  • Punisher's not a bad pairing at all. Not only does molotov go great with strike tiles, but Pun's colors go black>green>red so he doesn't take tiles from Patch. Sometimes you're better off using punisher's green if patches is too risky as well, so it gives you options.

That said, I'd do black panther over punisher.

The Hood's yellow can clear at least two purple strike tiles for youwhen yyou pop zerker too.
  • Patch/Mags/Hulk

Patch tanks R,Y,G,P so has four colors to fuel TBTI.

Hulk tanks Black so you can match black to move him out front to trigger an anger after a berserker rage.

Magneto tanks blue, you can spam his blue and red attacks after a berserker rage to do a ridiculous amount of damage per AP.

One shot kills with TBTI and Translocation.

I used this lineup quite often in elite tourney.
  • I think it's Patch/Hulk/BP. The only problem with this lineup is that Patch has literally no colors unless you give him levels over Hulk, but I don't think it matters since all you care about is wiping their team with green+black and Anger. It's insanely annoying on defense, and very fast on offense.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm guessing all this is predicated on patch having 5 green? I pretty much do the same thing with punisher and c. mags.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Patch + C.Mags + Black Panther.

Hell hath no fury like this rainbow of death..

EDIT:
    Celerity wrote:
    I think it's Patch/Hulk/BP. The only problem with this lineup is that Patch has literally no colors unless you give him levels over Hulk, but I don't think it matters since all you care about is wiping their team with green+black and Anger. It's insanely annoying on defense, and very fast on offense.

You can put Patch in front and Hulk will still tank Black for BP. It's a good defensive posture, but I wouldn't recommend it. I find using Patch+Hulk together is a kind of a waste, I would choose one or the other. I typically swap them depending on need.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Psylocke was a killer companion - when she was buffed. The ability to build some AP, Berserker Rage and then go off with her strike tile creation/attack tile creation was a lot of fun. I don't feel her tiles do enough damage without the buff though.

I'm still using Patch/Psylock/OBW against the goon squads. But yeah, doesn't have quite the same shine against dark avengers without the buff.
  • Puritas wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the only appropriate strategy for Wolverine ever is "dur hur hur hur hur hur hur I'M THE BEST THERE IS AT WHAT I DO AND WHAT I DO AIN'T PRETTY"

"BUB"

I can be certain that wolverine doesn't sound that lame.
  • Killjoy00
    Killjoy00 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Vis a vis the arguments for 3 yellow being ok because most things won't kill you - I've been running 4/5/4 just because that's the covers I've gotten, but I've found it to work very well. 4 in yellow does mean you always heal, just not always the full amount. Either way, it is plenty to cover normal match damage (even moreso than when I was at 3 yellow). 5 red is needed because otherwise it is barely worth the slot. And 4 green is nice because it is a boost over 3 green, but not the near suicide that 5 green can be. Basically at 4 green I don't have to think nearly as much about using it where with 5 green you really have to make sure (or be using Spidey). 4 green just seems more versatile.