*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Enjoy playing Magneto & 5/*/* Patch while you can.

Magnetos cheap blue and red can be enough to end the match without you getting hit, when you triggered patchs green.
    And of course Magnetos purple provides a safe-kill option icon_e_smile.gif

OBW or Hulk for third.
  • Just got around to trying him with Hulk & C.Storm. I don't have 5 black on Hulk and my Storm's capped low, so this obviously doesn't work properly for me at the moment, but with what I do have it felt pretty feasible. Pop the twelve strike tiles (obviously match some purples away immediately if you can) and from then on everything the opponent does causes them to take damage, and if you get Hulk matching black it also spews up more green so you can do it again.

Naturally, you'll need about two health packs per fight since there's no defense or support whatsoever there. There was no defense or support when boosting with Thorverine + featured character, either, and that won people enough top 5s. I think this might be workable for who-cares-about-health-packs spurts between shields.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Just got around to trying him with Hulk & C.Storm. I don't have 5 black on Hulk and my Storm's capped low, so this obviously doesn't work properly for me at the moment, but with what I do have it felt pretty feasible. Pop the twelve strike tiles (obviously match some purples away immediately if you can) and from then on everything the opponent does causes them to take damage, and if you get Hulk matching black it also spews up more green so you can do it again.

Naturally, you'll need about two health packs per fight since there's no defense or support whatsoever there. There was no defense or support when boosting with Thorverine + featured character, either, and that won people enough top 5s. I think this might be workable for who-cares-about-health-packs spurts between shields.

Nice idea man but really health pack consuming. I tried it with 3 patch strike tiles but it is to low to triger raging tempest.
    Nice tactic for 5 level green Patch
  • So because I don't need the rewards from recent events, I've been expirementing a bit. Bag-Man actually makes a great partner since he can lock and swap tiles. Why not just run Loki? Well Bag-Man frees up black allowing you to run either Hailstorm, Molotov Cocktail, or Summon Demons. Plus Bag-Man is cool.
  • The suicide combo with Patch is very strong defensively since you're already expecting to lose on defense so you're not too worried about the worst case scenario (you lose badly, but that's the normal outcome on defense already), but if you got lucky it's pretty much a guaranteed win and the only requirement is getting enough green to use Berserker Rage (and hope AI doesn't use something else, because Storm and Hulk all have a higher cost green).

For offense, I use it when I need to win quickly (like LR), or before going away for extended time. It's also pretty much guaranteed to take out anyone's team at the cost of a 2 health packs so you can do that before you shield up. You don't even need to heal the dead guys if you're going to be away for a while (though you probably should and let the health packs regen).
  • Phantron wrote:
    The suicide combo with Patch is very strong defensively since you're already expecting to lose on defense so you're not too worried about the worst case scenario (you lose badly, but that's the normal outcome on defense already), but if you got lucky it's pretty much a guaranteed win and the only requirement is getting enough green to use Berserker Rage (and hope AI doesn't use something else, because Storm and Hulk all have a higher cost green).

For offense, I use it when I need to win quickly (like LR), or before going away for extended time. It's also pretty much guaranteed to take out anyone's team at the cost of a 2 health packs so you can do that before you shield up. You don't even need to heal the dead guys if you're going to be away for a while (though you probably should and let the health packs regen).
    I wish I had more black Hulk covers and more levels in my C.Storm so I could do this.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    Anyone really tested any of the 5green builts?

My 4th green cover is running out today and I have to decide if patch + hult/storm/loki make a tream worh investing in, or if its better to go 5red and be more lexible with him o.o
  • I look at Red vs Green and feel that his red per damage at level 5 is 200+. The thing is - do you have enough icons for him to max damage on the enemy?
    Understand your team and see whether does you able to get at least 2-3 colour icons for him to deal serious damage on them.

Hope this help. icon_e_smile.gif
  • nihilium wrote:
    Anyone really tested any of the 5green builts?

My 4th green cover is running out today and I have to decide if patch + hult/storm/loki make a tream worh investing in, or if its better to go 5red and be more lexible with him o.o

I used him at 5/5/3 in a couple of tourneys and I believe it is the best build overall. 3/5/5 is fine and can work, the yellow is strong, but there are just other characters better suited to a tank role. It's worth noting that it's easier to plan around the strike tiles when you're making 6 of them, because you know generally where they're going to spawn, and a lot of the time you can match half of the enemy tiles immediately.
  • I definitely agree 5/5/3 is where he should be for maximum killage, but I settled on 5 yellow anyway out of little more than laziness. I don't enjoy Prologue healing, and at 5 yellow you can reasonably confidently start a match with him at 40% health and trust him to fill himself up by the time the skills start flying.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    I already am at 3/2/5

I went 5 yellow simply because after **wolverine being nerfed there just arent many self-healing chars out there.
    And while there always be other nice dmg dealers out there I dont think they will release all that many healing chars.. and Ireally like the fact that he can tank loads of dmg now and than and just heal it instead of litting it pile up ^^

Just now Im not sure if 5/3/5 or 3/5/5 is the way to go icon_e_sad.gif
    Its just that hes the only 3star character I have even somewhere close to maybe one day getting max covers, so I guess ill have to kill stuff with him for a while lol.
  • Running Patch 5/4/4 with no worries.

Mostly because that is the covers I had and I used 'em.

Still a fun character to use teamed up with Loki and Dr. Doom (Doom for cheap blue to black to set up Loki, and potentially to populate the board with his chompy minions - so fun to end a turn and see another ~860 damage be applied)

stike tiles and demons and shields, oh my....
  • nihilium wrote:
    I already am at 3/2/5

I went 5 yellow simply because after **wolverine being nerfed there just arent many self-healing chars out there.
    And while there always be other nice dmg dealers out there I dont think they will release all that many healing chars.. and Ireally like the fact that he can tank loads of dmg now and than and just heal it instead of litting it pile up ^^

Just now Im not sure if 5/3/5 or 3/5/5 is the way to go icon_e_sad.gif
    Its just that hes the only 3star character I have even somewhere close to maybe one day getting max covers, so I guess ill have to kill stuff with him for a while lol.
    He's a bit harsh to be stuck with as your only workable 3*, because he's one of the hardest of that bunch to fit into a team well. If you go 5 green and all your other available characters are 2*, you'll pretty much be stuck using him with Bag-Man. No, really. Maybe Cap or Moonstone, at a stretch. I feel not going 5 green is kind of a waste of the character, but in your situation and if you don't anticipate getting a viable Punisher or Mags or whatever in the near future, maybe stick at 3. 3/5/5 is a consistent defensive build and makes Best There Is actually worth the AP.
  • I went 4/4/5.

I'm fairly happy with it - I think a really good balance for PvE and PvP. 5 yellow healing is kind of the necessity for me especially with the changes to PvP. I sometimes have scenarios where I don't have 6 greens on the board and red does a lot of dmg so I didn't want to **** it too much.

Overall fairly happy even though if it is a bit of a boring build.
  • What team are you guys using with patch and or what do you suggest is a good team comp for patch. right now i'm using:

Lvl 85 Thor 5/3/5 (sad i know)
    Lvl 52 Patch 3/2/3
    Lvl 50 OBW 5/5/3

and i seriously get stomped on all the time. This composition sucks. And i love patch and want to use him, but i need a better team composition or one that just works at all. Any suggestions?
  • What team are you guys using with patch and or what do you suggest is a good team comp for patch. right now i'm using:

Lvl 52 Patch 3/2/3
    Lvl 50 OBW 5/5/3

and i seriously get stomped on all the time. This composition sucks. And i love patch and want to use him, but i need a better team composition or one that just works at all. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
  • Yep you need to reset.

Thor is sad, and OBW dont use the strike tiles from Patch.

Ironically the best build for thor with patch is x/5/x, because patch have better green and red.
    And OBW with any wolvi must be 3/5/5 to use the double attack.

what is your full rooster?

Lvl 52 Patch 3/2/3
    Lvl 50 OBW 5/5/3

and i seriously get stomped on all the time. This composition sucks. And i love patch and want to use him, but i need a better team composition or one that just works at all. Any suggestions?

The composition isn't bad, you're just kind of low level. lv52 3* is similar to a lv35ish 2*, and you only have 3 in Thor's yellow so you can't take full advantage of that. I don't think you'll be able to use Patch too effectively until you get more covers into him; his red is useless and his other abilities are only half the power of what they would be when maxed out.

I like Patch/OBW/Magneto quite a bit. Probably the fastest wins in the game, but incredibly free on defense.
  • Had my Patch at 3/3/5, still had 2 red and 1 green cover that were about to expire, so I finally decided and went 3/5/5.

I was one of those people that used **Wolverine a lot, so it's actually a nice progression going to Patch. Wonder if they'll nerf his yellow, but seeing as he is a three star characters and therefore should be stronger than his 2 star equivalent, I don't think much will happen there.

Though it's time to put a team together now. Currently I'm using Patch/OBW and one open slot. Was leaning towards Hulk, but I only have 4 covers for him (3/1/0) as of yet. IM40 only has 2 red covers so far. Loki would still be useful as well, even though he better compliments the green.

Man my 3 star roster apart from Patch is awful...
    Patch 3/5/5
    Punisher 3/3/1
    Spider-Man 3/1/3
    Hulk 3/1/0
    IM40 2/0/0
    Loki 2/0/0
    Magneto 2/0/0
    GBW 0/1/1
    Daredevil 1/0/1
    Dr. Doom 2/0/0
    Ragnarok 1/0/0

Never got a Hood so far...
  • I still don't know how good Patch+Hulk actually is. On offense, it's not really that fast unless you have Hulk tanking all 3 colors, rendering Patch's red useless. On defense, it's the same as any other Hulk team since the AI will only use Hulk's green, which is terrible. I've faced several of these teams, and even though the healing is kind of annoying, it still goes pretty fast because I can autopilot without worrying about the AI getting any particular color besides red.