*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• I was on the fence about wether to go 5/3/5 or 3/5/5, but now I've decided to go 3/5/5 for multiple reasons. When you match 9 green, chances are you will not have 6 greens still out on the board. However, most likely there will be more than 6 pink tiles because you have been a busy bee matching green wherever possible. Hence when you use it, your opponent seems to benefit from it most. To me this skill is designed to hurt your team so you have to heal up. It's very situational and requires strategy and a bit of luck to get the most out of it. His red on the other hand...deals upwards of 5000dmg, which if I'm not mistaken is one of the most powerful red abilities currently. It ALSO gives you 2 strike tiles and your enemy has weaker versions (note:it's 50% less damage). This is more reliable. And hey, it's just cool to slash a hero for 5k damage!
  • Now that green is functioning the way is was designed, I think red blows it out of the water. I'd say 3/5/5 over 5/3/5 in a heartbeat. Loki can help, but I'm reluctant to put my 3/0 38th level Loki into battle until he gets more covers and a lot more levels; he's useless on defense right now.
  • My experience has been different, as I find green much better. Protip: you don't have to use it right away.

I'm likely going 5/4/4 or 4/4/5.
  • I have a 5/3/5 Patch and with so many extra covers, I decided to recruit a second one lol. I hope I don't regret the loss of the ~250-300 HP or so I could have had selling the covers.

Might go 3/5/5 on this second one. I have 1 G, 5 R, 2 Y already (added 1 G, 3 R, 2 Y to him).
  • I think 5/5/3 and 3/5/5 are the two main builds. It seems like any team that can abuse 5/3/5 would be better off going full offense instead, but it might have a place. The thing is, with red at 3 you're basically playing him with only two powers, while green and yellow are still somewhat effective at level 3.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From my small experience with him, it seems that in PvP 5/3/5 is the better build, where in PvE 3/5/5 seems the way to go. Those super high lvl enemies with extra strike tiles does not feel good, so I think depending on your prefered method of play either build is fine. 4/4/5 will also work but I think being commited to a 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 is a better way to go.
  • Celerity wrote:
    I think 5/5/3 and 3/5/5 are the two main builds. It seems like any team that can abuse 5/3/5 would be better off going full offense instead, but it might have a place. The thing is, with red at 3 you're basically playing him with only two powers, while green and yellow are still somewhat effective at level 3.

I like 5 in yellow because it lets him tank when he's collecting tiles. It's a powerful heal so it can be effective for that, which in the meta may become more relevant now that 2 star wolvie can't maintain full health anymore.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    I think 5/5/3 and 3/5/5 are the two main builds. It seems like any team that can abuse 5/3/5 would be better off going full offense instead, but it might have a place. The thing is, with red at 3 you're basically playing him with only two powers, while green and yellow are still somewhat effective at level 3.

absolutely no question about my prior statement. In PvE 3/5/5 is the only option, giving those high lvl characters that many strike tiles is too deadly unless you have a full tank team. PvP you can go either way, but if you play primarly PvE then have Patch at 3/5/5 trust me you will be happier. You still get the full damage from green, you just won't get as many strike tiles, but, you won't be giving out as many either.
  • Either 5/5/3 or 3/3/5 seems viable. Regardless, Patch seems like a character who you either have to build around (by teaming him with an otherwise somewhat useless Loki) or use situationally. In PvE vs. Hammer, Maggia, and other non-tile switching characters, he's a great option to ramp up the damage since controlling the opposing countdown tiles is what it's all about. Other than that, I'm mainly looking at him for defense - who wants to attack a Patch/Hulk/[insert player here] trio? Assuming the upcoming Spiderman nerf makes stun a far less common option, avoiding Patch (on either side) is going to be a smart move going forward.
  • quazi44 wrote:
    Either 5/5/3 or 3/3/5 seems viable. Regardless, Patch seems like a character who you either have to build around (by teaming him with an otherwise somewhat useless Loki) or use situationally. In PvE vs. Hammer, Maggia, and other non-tile switching characters, he's a great option to ramp up the damage since controlling the opposing countdown tiles is what it's all about. Other than that, I'm mainly looking at him for defense - who wants to attack a Patch/Hulk/[insert player here] trio? Assuming the upcoming Spiderman nerf makes stun a far less common option, avoiding Patch (on either side) is going to be a smart move going forward.

Honestly, Patch is one of my favorite targets for PVP. I've played against some Patch teams already, and I don't think it matters how you build him, he's just not very intimidating on defense. Unlike the old 2* Wolverine, he can't threaten much damage with low AP. Regardless of build, green hurts you more than them, and 14 red should be unobtainable with OBW or Spidey. His regen is annoying, but saving him for last isn't exactly a problem. It's actually preferred because you want him to use green to make the fight quicker.
  • Celerity wrote:
    It's not supposed to be half. His red tiles are half, his green tiles are the same strength for yourself and the enemy.

Right. Why his red strike are half damage of green? Another bug I think
  • I'm 5/3/3 with 2 red and 2 yellow in the bank (more really). Still not sure what way to go.

I think that yellow could be important to heal up some of the damage green does to himself. Especially if Spidey's ability to heal and stun lock is scaled back too far. In order for that to be effective he will need to be the main damage taker though. If paired with Rags he would have 2 reds ready before his own red would be powered up which generate green which could lead to more green attacks.

Tempted to just make him an offensive machine and go red though. if you have green and red ready to go and own enough tiles then putting out green followed by the red skill could be pretty devastating. Also, then you would have room for two supports like Loki and Spidey so blue or black can protect you from the damage of your green. I went 5/5/3 with 2* wolvie and never regretted it but the heal kicked of easier for him pre nerf. If Spidey heal is still usable post nerf this would be tempting.

Man, this is a hard choice. Has anyone played Wolverine unbuffed enough to get a feel for what he would be like normally? Buffed the green skill hurts unless used very carefully. How hard is it for him to own tiles as both red really depends on that? Yellow too I guess or the heals really will need to go to the tank. Perhaps I'll just stay 5/3/3 so I don't have to decide icon_e_smile.gif
  • Polkio wrote:
    Celerity wrote:
    It's not supposed to be half. His red tiles are half, his green tiles are the same strength for yourself and the enemy.

Because his red is overkill and it's basically just saying: "Now you're dead! And your strike tiles are only half strength! But you're still dead!"

I really can't imagine a situation where you can collect 14r and not have the team basically down to one person when this resolve (match 3 on one guy, Best There is on whoever you're trying to kill), so there's nothing wrong or overpowered about pouring salt over your enemy's wounds, because they're pretty much already dead.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Polkio wrote:
    Celerity wrote:

Because his red is overkill and it's basically just saying: "Now you're dead! And your strike tiles are only half strength! But you're still dead!"

I really can't imagine a situation where you can collect 14r and not have the team basically down to one person when this resolve (match 3 on one guy, Best There is on whoever you're trying to kill), so there's nothing wrong or overpowered about pouring salt over your enemy's wounds, because they're pretty much already dead.

It is not the case, dev note informs about equals strenght of green and red strikes so don't get it why it is different now
  • Polkio wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Polkio wrote:
    Celerity wrote:

It is not the case, dev note informs about equals strenght of green and red strikes so don't get it why it is different now

Wolverine (Patch)
    3 Star Rarity (Rare)
    Berserker Rage - Green 9 AP
    Deals 237 damage to the current target and creates 2 Strike tiles for each team (Green for allies, Purple for enemies) DEV NOTE: 24 damage Strike tile base
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 284 damage.
    Level 3: Creates 3 Strike tiles for each team.
    Level 4: Creates 4 Strike tiles for each team.
    Level 5: Creates 6 Strike tiles for each team.Best There Is - Red 14 AP
    Wolverine deals 16 damage for each tile on the board that bears his icon. DEV NOTE: 24 damage Strike tile base for allies, 12 for enemies
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Creates a Red Strike tile for each team.
    Level 3: Creates 2 Red Strike tiles for each team.
    Level 4: 22 damage for each icon
    Level 5: 35 damage for each icon
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well, I've got my patch at 3/3/3 with 2 red and a yellow in the bank, and hopefully more on the way in a few hours. Leaning toward 3/5/5 right now but really not feeling that comfortable with any build decision.
  • He's obviously not broken anymore, but I've found that with a little careful gameplay, he is still extremely good (at least in these events where he is buffed).

His green ability only turns basic tiles into strike tiles -- it does NOT generate new tiles.

Knowing this, and knowing that yours are Green and your opponent's are purple, by reducing the amount of purple tiles available to transform, you can tip the scales in your favor.

For example:

If you have 6 green tiles available, and only 3 basic purple tiles, it will only generate 3 strike tiles for your opponent.

Abilities like C. Spidey Purple and GSBW Purple are helping me keep the available tiles to a minimum. Even in the PvE madness post-patch, opponents like Bullseye will actually help you reduce the amount of tiles that will be generated for themselves with his ability.

Don't get me wrong, he's still very risky and you have to be on top of your game to use him well, but this was an interesting observation that has helped me win a lot of games post-change.
  • Can't decide how to spec patch 5/5/3, 5/3/5, 3/5/5... All I can see reasons for. Loki will set him up quite nicely a couple illusions at 5p will set up will set a 5/5/3 patch ridiculously well "berserker rage" then "the best is"and finally finishing it off with a "trickery". It's risky, but it can set you up for very quick games....
  • I ended up 5/3/5. Was 5/3/3 and hit yellow by mistake when selling off covers. Guess it was meant to be... I could not decide anyway.
  • I went with 5/5/3. The regeneration is actually pretty irrelevent if you have 5 in Berserker Rage. When Berserker Rage hits the field, everyone dies and your regen might as well not be there. And if you don't use Berserker Rage, he's pretty much just a Hulk or IM40 with less utility.