*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• About Wolverine 2* this morning :
    "IceIX Feedback: Wolverine isn't a tank. That's Colossus or Thor's job. Taking damage just isn't what he does"

So why does Wolverine 3* can still obviously regenerate as wolverine 2*. Patches and updates are all about craziness & nonsense.
    Worse & worse.
  • Patch can have insane regeneration because his skills negate his own regeneration, and if you use Patch without using his moves he's just wasting space. There are other characters who can tank and still do something else useful on the side.
  • About Wolverine 2* this morning :
    "IceIX Feedback: Wolverine isn't a tank. That's Colossus or Thor's job. Taking damage just isn't what he does"

So why does Wolverine 3* can still obviously regenerate as wolverine 2*. Patches and updates are all about craziness & nonsense.
    Worse & worse.

Because Wolverine 2 got nerfed to the same point as other 2 stars - while patch is 3*
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I build my patch 3/5/5. I think green is now simply too risky to use. Red while costly can do insane damage and with yellow he can tank quite well. Unfortunately you have to have him at high level to to utilize his red and tanking ability and I don't have iso to level him up for now. I have him at lvl 50 and I think he is usable in any event where he receives a boost.
  • My Patch is still only 60 but I've been pretty happy having 5/5/3. I use him with OBW and pop the green when I'm ready to make a purple match, it usually works out. The effect is not exactly symmetrical because you're going to be using him with someone like OBW or Doom who doubles the strike damage, and the AI is likely to miss good cascades or match environmental tiles. Again, green is his build-around move, so I wouldn't really want to use him on teams where his green isn't being maximized.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    I find so stupid that his green skill creates strike tiles for enemy team, so I think I'll run for 3/5/5.
  • After the "fix" to patch i thought id wasted a lot of iso levelling him and with 5 in green thought id built him wrong. However after a few more times playing him to see if he was salvageable in some way i think he is still pretty good. Its a case of strategy and tactics. He is a pretty good tank and can take a lot of pounding until your ready to lay down berserker rage. Before this your other 2 characters have taken out at least 1 of the enemy, you've primed the board to your advantage and it takes only a couple more turns to finish the match. Im still trying to find his best team mates with my current roster, but i am liking him better the more i play him.

I have a few in my roster that are full covers but i have no fully levelled ones. I consider myself a just about mid level player. It takes thought and time to win, but you can win.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    I'm starting to think he's one of those chars you have to build it team around to really be able to use his full potential.
    That's why I don't want to just discard his green skill.

But can someone explain his red a bit Better to me?
    What's the potential there?
  • Celerity wrote:
    My Patch is still only 60 but I've been pretty happy having 5/5/3. I use him with OBW and pop the green when I'm ready to make a purple match, it usually works out. The effect is not exactly symmetrical because you're going to be using him with someone like OBW or Doom who doubles the strike damage, and the AI is likely to miss good cascades or match environmental tiles. Again, green is his build-around move, so I wouldn't really want to use him on teams where his green isn't being maximized.

I think people can't understand right now with the event running how squishy OBW is. Since he is buffed by the event her health is close to 4500 while unbuffed it is 3115. A fully maxed Patch gives tiles that deal 148 damage so giving 6 to the opponent you essentially give them 6*148 --> +900 damage to each match. Against enemies with tile damage 60-67, even one match from them will deal ~1100 damage. How are you planning to use OBW to attack when she will be down after 3 enemy matches?

I think planning to use the ability when there is a cluster of purple is not a viable strategy. I am talking about strategy here and not whether it can happen or not. When we talk strategy we are talking about a consistent series of actions that will give the desired outcome at least 70-80% of the time and my experience with the game so far showed me that you can't rely on that to make this team work. Going after green matches and hoping that by the time you get them the board will be set up the way you want is not a strategy, but a gamble. And I am not the gambling type.

I can see 5/3/5 Patch work with more durable heroes like other 3* with high health who can take many hits, but I don't think Patch is good for OBW's health. However, since I don't have their covers or the ISO to level them high I can't say if this will work. My Patch still sits at 3/3/3 with 2 of each cover waiting for me to decide. I think I will go with 3/5/5 since the red may be expensive, but deals a ton of damage. With a hero that generates red for you or steals it like the Hood he can can deliver 1 hit KOs and going for 14 red instead of 9 green is not that far considering he will heal a lot and that once his red go off you are most likely down one enemy.

EDIT: I the tiles he gives to the opponent were half strength, as wiki says, then I agree that 5 in green would be the way to go.
  • nihilium wrote:
    If he has the highest tile value in your team for all 3 of this colors, then having 20 tiles on the board bearing his icon is perfectly normal. In that case, at max level, he will deal 4k+ damage with his red for 14 red. Since the red ability is relatively expensive you may have to add someone in the team that generates red tiles or red AP for you.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    nihilium wrote:
    I'm starting to think he's one of those chars you have to build it team around to really be able to use his full potential.

At max level Patch deals 216 damage per his tile. There are 64 tiles on the board and 7 possible different tiles so there are 9 of any tile on board on average. If you have maxed out patch he will have all red, green and yellow tiles bear his icon. Therefore maxed out patch red skill will deal 9 x 3 x 216 damage on average = 5832 dmg! That is enough to down almost anyone with a single hit. Plus you get two 148 Strike tiles for allies, 74 for enemies. To compare IM40 unibeam does only 3559 dmg at max level.

I'm actually thinking about leveling up my patch and team him with punisher and OBW. He can tank quite well with his yellow and use his red to finish people off.
  • This is the result of a seemingly easy match. I couldn't match anything else other than OBW tiles and she took a hit from Ares' Onslaught with 7 green and she went down. After that everything went downhill. Couldn't increase Tommy Gun CD with OBW anymore so 2 were triggered. 2 turns and 1 Tommy Gun later it was all over

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n57 ... e16c4c.jpg
  • Skip the patch and abuse the wolverine patch bug while it lasts ?
  • poomermon wrote:
    nihilium wrote:

At max level Patch deals 216 damage per his tile. There are 64 tiles on the board and 7 possible different tiles so there are 9 of any tile on board on average. If you have maxed out patch he will have all red, green and yellow tiles bear his icon. Therefore maxed out patch red skill will deal 9 x 3 x 216 damage on average = 5832 dmg! That is enough to down almost anyone with a single hit. Plus you get two 148 Strike tiles for allies, 74 for enemies. To compare IM40 unibeam does only 3559 dmg at max level.

I'm actually thinking about leveling up my patch and team him with punisher and OBW. He can tank quite well with his yellow and use his red to finish people off.

In a perfect world, you're using Patch on a team which only uses 5 colors, so he actually gets the benefit of 4 colors for his red. It's definitely a skill you need to build around, just like his green.
    Narkon wrote:
    I think people can't understand right now with the event running how squishy OBW is. Since he is buffed by the event her health is close to 4500 while unbuffed it is 3115. A fully maxed Patch gives tiles that deal 148 damage so giving 6 to the opponent you essentially give them 6*148 --> +900 damage to each match. Against enemies with tile damage 60-67, even one match from them will deal ~1100 damage. How are you planning to use OBW to attack when she will be down after 3 enemy matches?

You think the enemy is going to be alive to make 3 matches? You're really underestimating the damage here. If you wait to use it right before a guaranteed 2-cascade, the skill itself deals 1800, then you trigger the strike tiles 3-4 times, for a total of about 5k damage frontloaded from a 9 AP skill. This is not difficult to set up. Sure, the enemy attacks back for 1k, but all of my matches are dealing at least as much as that for the rest of the fight, probably more since I can make cascades better than the AI.
  • I think you misunderstand how "Best there is" works. Let me explain a bit more in detail. Each colored tile on the board has an icon on top, indicating which of your heroes will match it. For Wolverine it's the claw, for Punisher it's the bullets. Which icon you see is based on which of your heroes has the highest match damage for that color. Since Punisher is buffed a lot for the tournament (increasing his match damage by 80%), it's likely that all tiles on board display his symbol and none display Wolverine's symbol. "Best the is" will do damage for each tile displaying Wolverine's symbol, if there are no such tiles then you get zero damage.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seriously, this guy is the most bugged character ever. Now he is giving the enemy strike tiles with the same damage value as his own, when it is suppose to be half. Sigh.....after playing those lvl 230 Dark Avengers I'm wondering if 5 in green is not a good thing.
  • It's not supposed to be half. His red tiles are half, his green tiles are the same strength for yourself and the enemy.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    It's not supposed to be half. His red tiles are half, his green tiles are the same strength for yourself and the enemy.

ahh, I see that now, oops, misread icon_redface.gif regardless though, those strike tiles hurt coming back, man!!!
  • I'm going to try mine at 4/5/4, partly because I decided that red was better than green after I had already gone four green, partly because I have a shortage of yellows, partly because I don't think I'm giving up a lot on 4y vs. 5y.

That being said, if respec comes up, I might try and redo him to 3/5/5, but he's 4/5/2 now, yellow's still the hardest to get, and this may be a pretty meaningless choice for a while.
  • Still torn between 3/5/5 or 5/3/5. It seems 5/3/5 works best with Loki and 3/5/5 just for general purpose. Even considering 4/4/5 right now, but that would really make him jack of all trades, master of none.

I still have 1 green cover and 3 red covers right now. Waiting to gather the missing yellow ones before I decide, since 5 in yellow seems too tempting for me.