*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• Anyone settling on 3/5/5: I'd agree that's the clear defensive build and the only "drop in anywhere" approach, but could you explain when you'd want Patch's 3 strike tiles over Punisher's 3 strike tiles and no pesky enemy tile generation? Patch's are more predictable, but that seems a bit tenuous for something still so self-damaging, so I can't really see a good reason besides event buffs. imo he's designed as a (ridiculously) offensive character that the developers want to turn the game into a health pack chugging contest. If you're going to use him at all, even just to break out for all-or-nothing pushes, not going nuts on the green feels like it turns him into a not-so-great version of everyone else.

I guess there's always Loki Lightning Rounds.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Anyone settling on 3/5/5: I'd agree that's the clear defensive build and the only "drop in anywhere" approach, but could you explain when you'd want Patch's 3 strike tiles over Punisher's 3 strike tiles and no pesky enemy tile generation? Patch's are more predictable, but that seems a bit tenuous for something still so self-damaging, so I can't really see a good reason besides event buffs. imo he's designed as a (ridiculously) offensive character that the developers want to turn the game into a health pack chugging contest. If you're going to use him at all, even just to break out for all-or-nothing pushes, not going nuts on the green feels like it turns him into a not-so-great version of everyone else.

I guess there's always Loki Lightning Rounds.

I also went 3/5/5, but I definitely like it. As my highest level character, he can take some hits and heal up, I don't have to be too worried when I use green. Wheras if I had 5 green i'd be really apprehensive.

Punishers' green can cause cascades and mixes the board up a bit. Plus you can kill enemy tile, but you might kill your own too. Great for PVE with his red as well.
    Patch's does damage, which is not insignificant. You can use it as a finisher on a character, or fire it off and then finish a guy. Or use it in purple tile match advantageous situations.

Really it comes down to whether you like Punisher or Patches other skills better, and what your other make up is, and when you would use them. I like to swap characters around a bit so I use the following teams.

Hulk/Punisher/OBW
    Wolv/OBW/ X (Punisher or Ares currently).

My characters are lvl 85-100.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I went for the 4/4/5, because I think this is the safe build. It has great regeneration and both skills do a lot of damage. With green I can create 4 tiles, and with 4 red I do enough damage. You have to take into account that with a 3/5/5 build you do more damage with your 5 red, but you create less tiles with the green one so in the end you don't do that much damage with the red. And red is VERY expensive.

I think the best builds are 5/5/3 as the most aggressive and 4/4/5 as the safe build. 4/5/4 or 5/4/4 are good too but I don't think 3/5/5 is a good one.

Probably 5/5/3 is the best for a single fight (to kill those 230 lvl characters), but 4/4/5 is the best for a whole event or lighting round (where the 'I regenerate all the time' is most valuable).

But in the end I don't know if this is a character for me. With Loki it could be invaluable, but without him, it is a very dangerous character. With a little bit of bad luck it could leave the field full of enemy tiles icon_razz.gif
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The way I see it red ability sucks unless it is maxed. There is a huge difference in between lvl 3 and 5 or even 4 and 5. Same with yellow. You only get 25% of the regen (with yellow level 4) unless you have more than average number of yellow tiles in play which is pretty bad. I want to max those skills. Green on the other hand is still useful at lvl 3. You don't even necessarily have to prepare the board for purple matches to use it because it is not as dangerous as lvl 5. Sure green lvl 5 is more powerful but you might take a lot of damage from it if you are unlucky. I think MPQ is all about consistency and coming out of fights with as much health as possible so you can jump to the next battle without using health packs. Sacrificing regen (yellow) or completely neutering a skill (red) in order to have some dangerously flashy plays with maxed green is not going to pay out in the long run.
  • Even if he is fine in offense with some planning, in defense he may end up being worse than Ares. With the stupid AI I wouldn't put it past it to use Patch's green and then make an environmental match. In defense I think you might need to add a second hero with priority in green or Patch will be a disaster. Although just the risk he poses for the opposing team may be enough to scare them off.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd also like to know if special tiles that are his color are counted for best there is. Does anybody know what the current level 15 powered up patch is equal to non powered up? Would like to know what level i'd have to get him to in order to match the damage he's doing in the thieves tourney.
  • How the heck does it work? I can't figure out the damage.
    Anyone able to help?
    2 scenarios I'm looking for are
    Just the red attack as a stand alone.
    And
    12 strike tile (1 activated green followed by red)
    If you can explain how it works. During one experience I struck (wolverines tournament) for over 3.5k with 0 tiles on the board. My patch is level 111
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The skill doesn't activate on the strike tiles....it activates on the number of tiles that have Wolverine's Symbol (the claw) For every Wolverine claw out the spell does x damage for each tile, so if you did that kind of damage you probably had a few tiles out, the strike tiles are just bonus damage added on
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Veracity wrote:
    Anyone settling on 3/5/5: I'd agree that's the clear defensive build and the only "drop in anywhere" approach, but could you explain when you'd want Patch's 3 strike tiles over Punisher's 3 strike tiles and no pesky enemy tile generation?

Because I'm using him with my 5/5/3 Punisher icon_e_wink.gif
    ...in pvp, at least.

Vs the level 230 enemies I'm using patch/im40/spidey
    Dude's level 90, and his red is regularly clearing 11k dmg :X
  • Thanks I completely miss read that
  • I too went for a "safe" 4/4/5.

I felt like the difference between 3 and 5 yellow was too much, but my punisher is also 3/5/5.
    In retrospect with how strong patches red is, I would definitely consider Puritas 5/5/3 patch 5/5/3 punisher combo.

There are times punisher execute at 8 red has saved me - but i think there are far more times in PvE where I was laying waste to baddies w/ Patch.

There are also times in pvp where old wolv was healing let me out-solo the remaining characters
  • Went with 3/5/5 build, loving Best There Is. Getting rid of all the red tiles except for two before using Best There Is will not spawn strike tiles for enemies, a lot easier to manage compare to lvl5 Berzerker Rage.
  • I'm not sure how to explain this more clearly.

I understand actually now, basically the damage is based on the number of color tiles that would trigger damage by Wolverine when matched. I thought that it was based on the number of assault tiles generated by Wolverine.

Thanks mate!
  • Running patch (5/3/5) with c. mag (5/3/5) + spiderman (3/5/5). The enemy strike tile business isn't so bad if you just build up blues to perma generate tiles with c. mags and later stunlock with spiderman. Not to mention patch is stronger in pink so he can collect pinks for c. mags while c mags is only vulnerable when grabbing the initial 5 blue that you need. Pair up with 4 cost red on c. mags for a spammable skill that utilizes strike tiles, I think it's a great team until they rework spiderman and c. mags. But by that point I think I will have already moved on to 4* wolverine to replace my patch and build a new team around new wolverine. Also to note is that patch + hulk (5/3/5) + spiderman is probably one of the best defense teams to deter people from attacking you. Most people will focus the 2 stun spiderman first, allowing time for your defense team to gather up tiles, and if they choose to kill patch 2nd, they will have to go through his yellow healing, and deal with having to face permanent level 5 hulk black if patch gets a green out or if they choose to go through hulk 2nd, they need to take it slow as to not proc his lv 5 black, which would then allow for either his green or patch green to be cast. Factor all this in with hulk's near 10k health. Ever since I started putting up this team when I want to stop playing, attacks on me have dropped by a good 80%.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gosuGANK wrote:
    Running patch (5/3/5) with c. mag (5/3/5) + spiderman (3/5/5).

I've been running Patch with c.Mag (5/5/3), and whoever else I'm given. When it comes to going over and over again, nothing beats c.Mag553 if there is some blue on the board and moderate Red available. Add a thousand damage to each of those moves, and let him erase enemy strike tiles near a blue tile, and they're just golden.
  • I kind of regret going 5/3/5 instead of 5/5/3. The healing is nice but the 3 yellow version is good enough. Figured that out tanking with the mission supplied patch. Had to go out of my way to match yellow to stop the healing... Oh well.
  • Argh I can't decide.

I have a 3/5/5 patch, but i have another 13 covers for this guy.

Wondering if I should sell em, or make a 5/5/3 to hold in case his yellow ever gets nerfed.... I"ve got 29 slots (dropped all my 1* except storm and venom). Mostly a F2P player so the extra HP's i'd get from selling would be nice. Any opinion?
  • SirKopath wrote:
    Argh I can't decide.

Wondering if I should sell em, or make a 5/5/3 to hold in case his yellow ever gets nerfed.... I"ve got 29 slots (dropped all my 1* except storm and venom). Mostly a F2P player so the extra HP's i'd get from selling would be nice. Any opinion?

I tend to doubt they will nerf yellow but you never know. My theory is that they had already decided that 2* yellow was overpowered when they released patch so it would be beyond stupid to make the same mistake again. The damage his own skills can do to him balances out the heal I think. That said, I wish I went 5/5/3 so may be temped if I had enough covers in the bank. I sold off my extra green before I thought of building a 2nd so am going to sell the rest off too I think.
  • greggray24 wrote:
    SirKopath wrote:
    Argh I can't decide.

I tend to doubt they will nerf yellow but you never know. My theory is that they had already decided that 2* yellow was overpowered when they released patch so it would be beyond stupid to make the same mistake again. The damage his own skills can do to him balances out the heal I think. That said, I wish I went 5/5/3 so may be temped if I had enough covers in the bank. I sold off my extra green before I thought of building a 2nd so am going to sell the rest off too I think.

The one other good thing i can say about having 5 yellow is that it gives you flexibility with your team. Feel free to use any other character that has a yellow ability, because you don't need them on the board.

If you have only 3 yellow you're probably going to avoid having a character with a yellow ability.

The 5/5/3 working out well then? Do you operate solely on the basis of nuking then down, or do you have spidey or someone holding them while you finish them off? (unfortunately I don't have Spidey leveled as i'm short on covers and wary of the nerf)
  • Built him 3/5/5 and very satisfied with it considering my play style. I use him with Spidey and Punisher and his primarily role is for tanking. I have to ensure that his level is more than Punisher so that most of the time, Patch is attacking and also help his Red. What I do is not use his green and let Punisher use his if the board is clean. In this way, I dont have to worry if I cannot make a move on the purple strike tiles.

I play slow but this play style keeps my team in full health most of the time even after the match. This is important to consider post Spidey nerf. As I am expecting that heals will be at a premium. Yes you can win with an attacking style but you are vulnerable to having to come out of a match with a damaged team. Post Spidey nerf, it is likely that a damaged team means down time.

300++ heals is just awesome sauce.