*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Options

Comments

• This plus pair him with spidey and obw and it's ridiculous. Save up to 12 blues by then you should almost have green and red almost done for patch, also some purple with defense from spidey around the board. Use obw to get more blue, start stun locking, use green, then red, keep stun locking and the game should end in like 3 turns lol. It's crazy.

Sure when spidey gets nerfed this strategy won't work as well. But for now it's a trip stomping these level 230 with this team. A team I never thought I'd use. Kind of happy Thor and wolverine got nerfed.
  • heya,

I did a berserker rage just before (or the turn before in my second test), so I know that some assault icons are from Wolverine. Not sure about non android version but there is indeed no indicator who created them.

Anyway, haven't retried yet to reproduce it. Patch is getting harder to use now!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    manu77 wrote:
    heya,

I did a berserker rage just before (or the turn before in my second test), so I know that some assault icons are from Wolverine. Not sure about non android version but there is indeed no indicator who created them.

Anyway, haven't retried yet to reproduce it. Patch is getting harder to use now!
    Not strike tiles (assault tiles as you call them), tiles Patch has his symbol on. If he doesn't have the highest match damage for any colors, then he has no tiles to count for this skill.

I'm not sure how to explain this more clearly. I guess someone with more free time could post some labeled screenshots.
  • I settled for 3/5/5. Working out great so far Tanks all match damage, red 5 hits like a truck. Green still hits hard, and I don't have to worry much about the strike tiles (i usually pop Green 5 when i can match some purples once they're down).

although i almost have enough covers to make a 5/5/3 so i might do that just as a backup (although not going to level him..)
  • Spiderman and Magento shouldn't be discussed in any part of strategy, because it's like saying Yelena can be a potent force when you the enemy never gets a turn (Spiderman) or that you can almost do an infinite loop on blue and then finish them off with whatever you want. I mean, of course they work well in a team, but the reason they work has nothing to do with whoever they're being paired up with.

Patch owns in the goon battles because you don't have to worry about enemy strike tiles most of the time. Ironically, the harder the battle is, the better he is because the level 230 guys can pretty much one shot kill your guy anyway so it actually doesn't matter if they get more strike tiles.

Even against the level 230 villians, if you can take out 3 of their strike tiles, you can still outrace them most of the time (only exception is if they get a miracle cascade, then you lose, but you pretty much always lose against level 230 guys if they get that).
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What are the specs of a maxed out Patch in regards to strike tile strength and damage dealt for berserker rage/best there is?
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm digging him. Squishy characters get squashed after he lays the tiles.. Best to have pinks in your sights before doing so.

I'm hesitating finishing him right now.. Have 4/3/4 and sitting on 2/2 covers... But really thinking I need to wait for the last sub to finish so I can get another yellow (#1 in the last 3 subs has been awesome... Especially since I've barely gotten top 10 finishes before now.)

Consensus is 5 yellow, right? I can't see how 2 more strike tiles or super-massive overkill makes anything other than that viable.

Also... I only have 2 maxed covers, 2* wolv and ares. Thinking of doing the buy back for wolv since that'd give me 70,000+ to push Patch into lvl 100 range.... Better than 85 wolv for future tournaments, maybe?
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm digging him. Squishy characters get squashed after he lays the tiles.. Best to have pinks in your sights before doing so.

I'm hesitating finishing him right now.. Have 4/3/4 and sitting on 2/2 covers... But really thinking I need to wait for the last sub to finish so I can get another yellow (#1 in the last 3 subs has been awesome... Especially since I've barely gotten top 10 finishes before now.)

Consensus is 5 yellow, right? I can't see how 2 more strike tiles or super-massive overkill makes anything other than that viable.

Also... I only have 2 maxed covers, 2* wolv and ares. Thinking of doing the buy back for wolv since that'd give me 70,000+ to push Patch into lvl 100 range.... Better than 85 wolv for future tournaments, maybe?
  • Phantron wrote:
    Spiderman and Magento shouldn't be discussed in any part of strategy, because it's like saying Yelena can be a potent force when you the enemy never gets a turn (Spiderman) or that you can almost do an infinite loop on blue and then finish them off with whatever you want. I mean, of course they work well in a team, but the reason they work has nothing to do with whoever they're being paired up with.

Patch owns in the goon battles because you don't have to worry about enemy strike tiles most of the time. Ironically, the harder the battle is, the better he is because the level 230 guys can pretty much one shot kill your guy anyway so it actually doesn't matter if they get more strike tiles.

Even against the level 230 villians, if you can take out 3 of their strike tiles, you can still outrace them most of the time (only exception is if they get a miracle cascade, then you lose, but you pretty much always lose against level 230 guys if they get that).
    If they can keep the gist of Spidey's purple, then the GSBW/Spidey team should still be viable post-nerf. It just revolves around Spidey picking up purple tiles, creating a Protect tile while gathering fuel for Widow. Widow's Purple then can both create green AP for Wolverine and also create match-4s that clear enemy Protect and Strike tiles.

Not sure if Widow will be better than Hulk as a partner for Patch, but they're a good combo in the current meta.

Mine's currently sitting at 2/5/2. Will aim to max his yellow, which should be potent once Spidey can no longer stunlock an entire team indefinitely.
  • Wobby wrote:

At about level 98, Patch will deal same match damage as your 85 Wolv, but with 5 yellow you will have your auto heal, more HP, and growth to go.

Your call to sell your old Wolv though. I'm keeping mine.... unless i panic and sell him.
  • Imagine your oppoent has a maxed lvl character and 2 much lower, and then imagine wich one top character among the total roster you would skip the most.

Maxed Patch is in my top 3. Any build is sure to leave you bleeding a lot.

If you decide to start damaging him first, he will just regen in your face, piling up the damage you take.
    Keep him for last, and you eat a REALLY nasty red in the face, expecially if it's fired off right after the other two die, probably after a not so kind green.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm thinking or running a Patch/Spidey/Bullseye team

All those defense tiles will be speedbumps and lock out the purple tiles.

This team wil go very badly against any other teams containing Patch. But everyone else should be annoyed.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:

This team wil go very badly against any other teams containing Patch. But everyone else should be annoyed.
    Honestly, that will probably see you get skipped until they add the 10 (can't believe people are complaining over this) ISO cost. Also, Bullseye is a great choice because it doesn't matter which side matches purple. Hawkeye Modern is next in line for patching so maybe his purple will change. It happened to Spidey before.
  • Eddiemon wrote:

good idea. sadly, bullseye is so squishy. when patch died. everything is slowed down.
    happened in my last pve against bullseye and 2 goon lv230. still wining in 8 minutes 0_o
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Plwase stop this thread, we dont want Patch & his friends to be nerfed
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    turul wrote:

He won't be. If he gets out of hand he has a hard counter in Loki.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    turul wrote:

Patch is totally OP icon_e_wink.gif

j/k I, too, like Patch a lot....and he adds some strategy since just releasing his green whenever it's full might be suicidal at times icon_e_smile.gif
  • Patch is an interesting character because his abilities are all so dependent on what tiles are on the board.

Whether Green is best at rank 3/4/5 depends a lot on what tiles are on the board at the time. Is there space for all the green tiles? is there space for all the purple tiles? Will they get matched easily. (Is there a Loki around?) With the wrong board setup the skill is positively counterproductive.

Similarly the power of red depends a lot on how many tiles bear his icon at the time. (By the way, do non-basic coloured tiles still "bear his icon"?) If you get to the 14 red, might the result be overkill anyway regardless of whether your red is at 3/4/5? Or would it risk being a damp squib?

And yellow of course. If there are lots of yellows on the board then 5 is a waste. If not, then it might be a life-saver - but that assumes that he's not focus-fired with burst damage anyway.

The "safe" build is 3/5/5, which guarantees healing and that red will hit for max. It maxes the chance of you getting all your green strike tiles out, and ensures your opponent doesn't get too many purple ones.

The "aggressive" build is 5/5/3 which basically goes all out for damage on the assumption that if they're dead they can't hit back, and if they do hit back your passive healing isn't gonna cut it anyway.

The "frequency-optimised" build is 5/3/5. Basically it optimises your passive by ensuring it goes off every turn. And you focus on Patch's green as the power to bring to the table at 9 green, with his 14 red skill as an afterthought (especially if teamed with someone with a good cheap red).

This is probably why there's no consensus on a best build. Although to be honest I don't think a character with three abilities should have an obvious "best" build. A lot should depend on how you intend to use him and who accompanies him.

Remember though, he's very board dependent, so doubt anyone should fret too much if they build him a certain way. Will probably end up going 4/5/4 here, for a bit of versatility.
  • This is the first 3* I have gotten all the covers for! All iso-8 production is now dedicated to levelling him!!
  • My "strategy" when I have to use my feeble Storm is to slam Berserker Rage asap and hope for the best. Alright, I try to have a purple match or two lined up to help win the everybody dies race, but mostly I just hope Patch will still be lurching about clinging on with regen near the end with a Best There Is queued. Needless to say, I don't fire those missions up unless I have health packs burning a hole in my pocket.