*** Wolverine (Patch) ***

Comments

• Patch is a high risk high reward character.

You have to have characters that complement his ability. Right now only Magneto (classic) is even close to the destructive power of Berserker Rage, and Magneto is almost certain to be nerfed. The reason why Patch is allowed to have game-ending power is that his power can also end your game when used incorrectly instead of the opponent's.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    What would you recommend? Cause I feel this is something that will only knock out my other members too fast, and of course wolverine. I was using him as a primary, I feel he deserves that, maybe I'm wrong.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    I was used to the huge damage Patch's tiles were doing with OBW. Since it became a habit to use those 2 in the event, I tried doing some missions after the Patch.

OMG. He is so difficult to use now with the boosts gone and I have him only level 3 at green. You need min 2 green matches. Even more if you fight Hood who will steal green regularly. And when you use him, good luck staying alive. The enemy tiles are the same strength as your own, so the wiki page gives false information. In the first match I forgot about the fixed enemy strike tiles so Imagine my surprise when OBW did 1.3K instead of the usual 2K. Next turn I am hit by Magneto who almost downed my OBW after he pulled a 2 part cascade.

Waiting until you set the board in a way to make a purple match is even more difficult. From the 2 matches I played, I'd say his green ability at level 5 is a double edged knife. If you don't win in 2-3 turns against tough opponents you are a goner. Just pray the AI doesn't pull off one of its cascades because it will KO your entire team. I think I will go for 3/5/5 since I am not the suicide type and maybe I will bring along someone else who adds Strike tiles.
  • There is plenty of good advice in his character thread. Go check that out instead.
  • Thats funny, just tried out my patch with 5 in green on a bunch of 230's. Ares rampaged me. Good bye team. Guess i wont be using his green much anymore hehe
  • Hulk11 wrote:
    What would you recommend? Cause I feel this is something that will only knock out my other members too fast, and of course wolverine. I was using him as a primary, I feel he deserves that, maybe I'm wrong.

This character is not designed to be sustainable because otherwise he'd be way overpowered. His Berserker Rage is obviously meant to hurt your team significantly because it definitely hurts the opposing team a ton.

This should be someone you bring out for your best one shot to beat a very powerful enemy, especially with the new 'only one chance in PvP' rule.

Some things I'd do to mitigate the effect of Berserker Rage:

Ensure you've at least a match 3 purple before using Berserker Rage (match 4/5 obviously even better).

Loki obviously combos well, if you have enough black sitting around before you fired off Berserker Rage.

Moonstone is very strong at defending against single color special tiles, even when they're yours. Of course, you got to make sure the enemy team does not have any other special tile color.

Hulk with Anger level 5 should pretty much immediately put the game away as long as he's tanking, because their hit will trigger his Anger, and his Anger will hit all 3 guys with your tiles. Sure, he'd be pretty beat up, but no player team should be able to survive that exchange.

Tile overwriting or suspending abilities (Magneto classic, Captain America, Bagman, Invisible Woman) could work if you happen to a high level of such a character.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Exactly my fear with the 5 green build. Many people were biased with how strong he was when broken. I of course could only speculate, but thought in practice it would be hard to work around enemy strike tiles and will just hurt you more than help you in the long run.

Especially with boost need, getting 11 black and 9 green for Patch and Loki seems a bit out of reach now.
  • Ironically, Patch's borked ability was helping make the Maggia event somewhat bearable (especially for battles where you were forced to use him and handed a somewhat levelled Patch). Patch being fixed and 2* Wolvie being nerfed at the same time makes that event even more terrible.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whoops. Tried to sell a red Patch cover and ended up adding it to him instead. He's at 3/4/2 now, so it looks like I'll be building him 3/5/5.
  • Decided on the going 5 red now, with 5 yellow.

Two strike tiles each team is more manageable, and equal chance of getting matched.

If the damage scales equally, then you need only 7 tiles or so at 5R to match the damage of green, I think. And realistically, Patch will have a least 3 colours, and on an average of 9 tiles per a colour, you'd be looking at 27 tiles*damage worth. Which seems a little excessive, actually. What's his damage per a tile at max level?
  • Yeah, since the update I have found that 3/5/5 is going to be the best for me to use. The bug before the R47 patch made his green OP. But now that it's fixed I would rather use Hulks green skill over Patch's. Mines already 3/3/5 so I only need two more reds.
  • I don't know if this has been mentioned before since this is a big thread, but does anyone else think Patch is going to definitely get his yellow nerfed? If the devs thought a 2* Wolverine healing every turn was too strong, then I'm sure they must think a 3* Wolverine with the same passive but even greater healing must have been mentioned. I'm scared of going towards 5 yellow because of this, since I'm currently sitting at 3/3/3
  • GT-47LM wrote:
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before since this is a big thread, but does anyone else think Patch is going to definitely get his yellow nerfed? If the devs thought a 2* Wolverine healing every turn was too strong, then I'm sure they must think a 3* Wolverine with the same passive but even greater healing must have been mentioned. I'm scared of going towards 5 yellow because of this, since I'm currently sitting at 3/3/3

I think the thought is that while they might tweak the numbers, they probably won't change the mechanism. Since Wolvie's nerf, all three wolverines have different heal mechanics, so I suspect they'll want to keep them all unique so they play different. However, I do think patch's heal mechanism is probably stronger than 4* wolvie.
  • You will still be able to heal every turn most likely. It will just cost you 100HP to do so.
  • It would be amazingly stupid for them to have released a new hero that needs an immediate nerf. I am hoping they understood what they planned for 2* wolvie before they released 3* and adjusted accordingly.

I went with the 5green because it was so fun with the bug and I figured I'd be able to stun lock after using it after being fixed. Did not realize that the buff nerf would make that so much less possible. Figure he'd be viable at least until the Spidey nerf.

Still going 5 yellow I think.
  • I did not use Punisher power (actually it happened twice prior to today's patch) but would be worth retesting with the new release out.
  • I don't think the two are really related at all.

**Wolvie never gave the other team strike tiles. Patch does so I'm guessing that is how they justified the design on his yellow heal.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it weren't for Patch-required missions in the playable portion of Thick as Thieves, I wouldn't have used him at all. I didn't want to start relying on him before they fixed his abilities to give enemy strike tiles, virtually guaranteeing I'd never use him again.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    I am at 3/0/3 and just got one cover if each color.

Id really like to use wolverine to take the place of his 2star version and tried using him with punisher (planning on 3/5/5) and a 3/5/5 obw..

... i just cant decide beween red and greed icon_e_sad.gif
    I wish red wasnt that expensive and hard to calculate o.o

But if I plan on using him With Frank, than 3 green would be better, wouldnt it?
    I mean Franks green is cheapter, and hopefully at lvl5 one day as well. Thus wolverines green wouldnt get to be used that often.
    .. but if I look at it like that his red wont be used as well since is just so expensive v.v
  • nihilium wrote:
    I am at 3/0/3 and just got one cover if each color.

Id really like to use wolverine to take the place of his 2star version and tried using him with punisher (planning on 3/5/5) and a 3/5/5 obw..

... i just cant decide beween red and greed icon_e_sad.gif
    I wish red wasnt that expensive and hard to calculate o.o

But if I plan on using him With Frank, than 3 green would be better, wouldnt it?
    I mean Franks green is cheapter, and hopefully at lvl5 one day as well. Thus wolverines green wouldnt get to be used that often.
    .. but if I look at it like that his red wont be used as well since is just so expensive v.v

Yeah, with that team I'd go with the red over green so OBW doesn't have to deal with crazy strike tiles. Too bad she'll only take Blue and Purple matches.