The Gauntlet: Oct. 30 - Nov. 4

Options

Comments

• loroku wrote:
    From what people are reporting about scaling, I wonder if average roster strength also plays a role (as opposed to only max level character).

I doubt that's the case or there'd be a whale somewhere with 50 lvl 1 characters at the bottom of his roster offsetting the top guys. It's probably based on the top X number of characters where X < 10 and probably X < 5, since one 270 seems to move the needle so much.

As I'm reviewing the other comments, it's very likely a weighted averaged on top of that. Comparing my roster to punter as described http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18365&start=60#p242076, his is 166 and 128's (assuming at least 4 of them). That's an average of 135.6

My top end at the start was 141/141/134/134/134 which averages to 136.8. Yet his levels to start are 21 levels higher. That tells me the 166 is carrying more weight.

You also have rosters that are lower leveled (BrandonE reporting same levels as me but avg 94 roster), so that tells me the scaling potentially has an upper/lower control limit that groups players into tiers rather than linearly (or exponentially) scaling on a strict formula.

All told, we'd need a ton of data to statistically model this portion of the algorithm with any kind of accuracy. And that's assuming we could reduce the noise of unknown other factors.

hi is there any significant difference between having say a L158/L158/L134 / all L94 under and L158/L158/L158/158/L134/ All 94 under. Im contemplating if I can bring up a few more 3* without significantly impacting my MMR or scaling for each event
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bear in mind that you get get Blade covers from the Captain Marvel PvP ending Sunday. This would give you two days to clear out his essential nodes.
  • Bear in mind that you get get Blade covers from the Captain Marvel PvP ending Sunday. This would give you two days to clear out his essential nodes.
    Hmm, maybe I should try getting them. I'm not sure if I'll be able to place top 100 though.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    The cpt marvel/ms marvel thing has happened at least once before in the past with MNMags being useable where cMags was supposed to be essential (I think it was a Simulator, but not 100% on that). I don't recall it ever happening with any other duplicate characters (whether lazy or different versions).

I wish this was the case for the Daken essential nodes in the 3rd sub. My 3* is 0/4/2, which is a horrible build, no strike tiles, weak attack, longer life. My 2* is a 3/5/5, but he's locked away. I would love to use my 2* Daken in these eseentials. Guess The Gauntlet tradition of 3 Essential characters held up, Blade, Capt Marvel, Daken. Sucks for those with any of those missing.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    Bear in mind that you get get Blade covers from the Captain Marvel PvP ending Sunday. This would give you two days to clear out his essential nodes.
    Hmm, maybe I should try getting them. I'm not sure if I'll be able to place top 100 though.

Note also that the 3 star.png Captain Marvel blackflag.png is in the middle of the progression in Domination and that you don't need points from the essentials to reach it. So that's one 3 star.png cover you can reach for sure.
  • lukewin
    Options
    One more node and then I'm done. So happy that Deadpool has his pink ability. Tried to sentry bomb the Thor 4, 3* Thor and Ragnarok, but got wiped. Got enough Deadpool points to launch whales again, and have 500 something left over, but gonna use that as a last resort, since I know I only have one node left.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    silverrex wrote:
    hi is there any significant difference between having say a L158/L158/L134 / all L94 under and L158/L158/L158/158/L134/ All 94 under. Im contemplating if I can bring up a few more 3* without significantly impacting my MMR or scaling for each event

If you did it now, it won't affect the Gauntlet. Devs (I think it was D_Will) have said its set at the beginning of the event.

I'm not sure how it will affect future PvE. When I leveled, I took everyone I had immediate plans for and took them all from 94->124 (since going to 141 with Thor/Sentry/XF), so I don't have experience to go by. Gut instinct says it will have an effect, but not an impactful one. Any additional scaling you do see will likely be offset by having more flexibility to match up against particular opponents better.

As far as MMR, based on my experience, yes, you're going to see harder matchups earlier. It seems like the MMR algorithm catches up quickly. When I initially leveled, I saw the same basic pattern, seeing 94s until 500-600 and then the wall. Now I see transition rosters similar to mine sprinkled among the 94s. Stuff like 127 Patch + OBW or 115 Spidey/GSBW type rosters. The wall isn't any different.

Standard disclaimer: This is speculation based on my own observations. Your experience may vary.
  • question: does anyone know if its more MMR efficient to play the essential nodes as you pass/unlock them or to play those at the end? (since essentials are usually scaled lower?)
  • unco_dan wrote:
    question: does anyone know if its more MMR efficient to play the essential nodes as you pass/unlock them or to play those at the end? (since essentials are usually scaled lower?)

It totally depends on what characters you have. Yes essentials are lower but if it requires someone that you barely have any covers in, it's still hard. In this batch I'd say the Daken required (last essential track on global domination) should be considered as 'easy' since Daken is a strong character that's usable in your main team so you get the lowered difficulty for free. The Blade/Captain Marvel required missions are likely harder due to a lack of covers and that Captain Marvel just isn't very good.

Of course, if your final node is 395, you should play the essential first before it also gets to 395 since the final node can't possibly go any higher, but I think I'm the only person with that problem. Since the final node is all 4*, you can probably afford to let its level go up some because 4*s gets very little out of the extra levels.
  • lukewin
    Options
    unco_dan wrote:
    question: does anyone know if its more MMR efficient to play the essential nodes as you pass/unlock them or to play those at the end? (since essentials are usually scaled lower?)

I think the devs want you to play essentials as you unlock them, reward values are set at those points. That's the route I went, and I can now say I've finished The Gauntlet. The last node was a lot easier than I was expecting. I went in with 3* Daken, and level 94 Mag and Storm. I didn't know this before, but can anyone confirm, that you can only have a max of 30 of any color AP? I was trying to build up 33 blues, to stun all 3 characters, and pretty sure I did, but when I checked after making the match that would've been over 30, it still read 30 blue, so I was only able to stun 2 of them. If I would've known that, I would've arranged it so I could mix Storm's blue with Magneto's pink, so I could have all 3 stunned.

I'd say these last 2 days have been pretty sweet, in terms of getting 3*+ covers. Bonus Ragnarok red, Steve Rogers red, blue, yellow (allowed me to cover max my first 3*, in my optimal build too 3/5/5), yellow Nick Fury, first Hood blue (now 2/1/5) from standard token received in The Gauntlet, Daken black, Cap Marvel black, Black Panther blue progression prizes.
  • lukewin wrote:
    unco_dan wrote:

I think the devs want you to play essentials as you unlock them, reward values are set at those points. That's the route I went, and I can now say I've finished The Gauntlet. The last node was a lot easier than I was expecting. I went in with 3* Daken, and level 94 Mag and Storm. I didn't know this before, but can anyone confirm, that you can only have a max of 30 of any color AP? I was trying to build up 33 blues, to stun all 3 characters, and pretty sure I did, but when I checked after making the match that would've been over 30, it still read 30 blue, so I was only able to stun 2 of them. If I would've known that, I would've arranged it so I could mix Storm's blue with Magneto's pink, so I could have all 3 stunned.

I'd say these last 2 days have been pretty sweet, in terms of getting 3*+ covers. Bonus Ragnarok red, Steve Rogers red, blue, yellow (allowed me to cover max my first 3*, in my optimal build too 3/5/5), yellow Nick Fury, first Hood blue (now 2/1/5) from standard token received in The Gauntlet, Daken black, Cap Marvel black, Black Panther blue progression prizes.
    30 is cap, yes.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,532 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This has definitely been a grind. At least, in the sense of "difficult." I'm one node away from just going down a straight line through "wilderness survival" and "alpine tactics." I do have a two-cover blade, but all I want is the Captian Marvel black, so I plan on getting that however I can from "Global Domination" and then go back and clear the nodes I missed, probably in "Alpine Tactics" where they're potentially worth more Iso. Still, these are pretty hard and even when I don't wipe out, I still have to heal up afterward.

I've been playing Ldaken/Ares/Falcon and playing the "how big can I make these strike tiles" game. So far I think my biggest has been around 400.
  • Kamuuu wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:

Note also that the 3 star.png Captain Marvel blackflag.png is in the middle of the progression in Domination and that you don't need points from the essentials to reach it. So that's one 3 star.png cover you can reach for sure.
    Assuming I can reach the points required for it, yeah.
  • grrr I cannot beat Sentry in Alpine icon_e_sad.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Switchman wrote:
    grrr I cannot beat Sentry in Alpine icon_e_sad.gif
    Do not boost any AP, it's useless against a Hood over his natural 166 cap. Might boost damage boosts if you want.
    Now bring this:
    cStorm/anyone/anyone close to cStorm in health and preferably covering some of her colours, so that she doesn't die to match damage early.
    Ideally, say, an unmaxed Spidey/MMN/cStorm. Maybe Ares or Thor to tank green and yellow for cStorm.
    Allow Sentry and Hood to deploy a perfect Sentry bomb (both Sacrifice and World Rupture). Don't deny them yellow and green, only grab purples and blues just in case, you might be able to chain Polarity Shift/Wind Storm. Deny red though, you won't survive a Nova. Keep Storm safe and alive.
    When the bomb resolves, watch the fireworks.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,532 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Switchman wrote:
    grrr I cannot beat Sentry in Alpine icon_e_sad.gif
    Do not boost any AP, it's useless against a Hood over his natural 166 cap. Might boost damage boosts if you want.
    Now bring this:
    cStorm/anyone/anyone close to cStorm in health and preferably covering some of her colours, so that she doesn't die to match damage early.
    Ideally, say, an unmaxed Spidey/MMN/cStorm. Maybe Ares or Thor to tank green and yellow for cStorm.
    Allow Sentry and Hood to deploy a perfect Sentry bomb (both Sacrifice and World Rupture). Don't deny them yellow and green, only grab purples and blues just in case, you might be able to chain Polarity Shift/Wind Storm. Keep Storm safe and alive.
    When the bomb resolves, watch the fireworks.

I was like "Huh?" then I thought "oh yeah." There's a reason you always kill CStorm first. Nice!
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Hmm, I thought they were referring to the Hulk/Hood/Sentry node in the Global Domination sub, apparently not. Still, allow Sentry to bomb you if everything else fails.
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    Tbh I'm doing this for the remote chance I'll pull a blade... Though I know it's pointless I must try.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So. The Fury/Marvel/Daredevil node. Right before I can down him, Fury lands an AA that takes out Ares. I whittle down CM, and then I get greedy on the killing blow, match 4, and trigger a crotchkick that downs Blade. So it's OBW against a full-HP 3* with a ton of AP, and after two turns I trigger an Equalizer, giving him seven free turns. He uses all his moves at least twice in that time. I win easily with Espionage damage. God, DD is so terrible.
  • Got a Doc Ock blue from event token, Beast blue from a standard I earned today, and Daredevil purple from my resupply. In a couple hours I'll have another Marvel from PvP, and tomorrow I should get the Marvel and Daken covers in progression rewards.

No real A-list covers in the bunch, my Daken will move to 3/5/0, Marvel will be 3/2/1, and Doc Ock is now 4/0/1, but I can't really complain about getting 6 3* covers I need in less than 24 hours.