The Gauntlet: Oct. 30 - Nov. 4

Options

Comments

• kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Options
    Gah!!! This event has turned out to be a total dagger to my heart...

I missed out on the 3 star ms marvel cover last night not realizing i needed her in order to get anything useful out of the gauntlet.

I thought it was the 2 star one that just released, what a bummer because I really needed both a Daken and BP cover. Fingers crossed i can luck out with a pull from the 300 point token out of her event, otherwise this entire PVE is a goose egg for me.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You can get one cap marvel cover from 3rd gauntlet as mid progression reward.
  • Can anyone confirm whether this event has any scaling? I've been hesitant to bring out my heavy hitter (dino), but I really kind of need him now. :p
  • How to handle sim 44 i try 10 times still lose

my best roster is Ares 94 , black widow 86 , and blade 45 before buff

They can crazy 209 Lv how can we handle?
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pf-gdev wrote:
    Can anyone confirm whether this event has any scaling? I've been hesitant to bring out my heavy hitter (dino), but I really kind of need him now. :p

Don't think it has community scaling, but pretty sure it has roster and progression scaling. So it's scaled on your roster strength, and then previous nodes go higher as you progress. I think the first node in the third sub started in 130s for me. After I finished the Gauntlet, that node is now in the 160s.
  • lukewin wrote:
    pf-gdev wrote:
    Can anyone confirm whether this event has any scaling? I've been hesitant to bring out my heavy hitter (dino), but I really kind of need him now. :p

Don't think it has community scaling, but pretty sure it has roster and progression scaling. So it's scaled on your roster strength, and then previous nodes go higher as you progress. I think the first node in the third sub started in 130s for me. After I finished the Gauntlet, that node is now in the 160s.

how come my team is 130 something after buff and the computer get 206! whats going on!
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Options
    So I'm whittling down Deadpool/GSBW/LThor slowly with Blade/Ares/OBW, saving up green for what will probably end up being a 30-AP Onslaught. Deadpool's down, I'm working on Thor, and I get a big cascade! Yay!

That ends with the board full of green. Not so much yay!

Then GSBW uses Deceptive Tactics. Two match-fours from the move, and then she matches green. I get my turn and check their green AP. 27.

WELP.
    Wait, how are you using OBW when they have GSBW? I hated that node without OBW since I had to hope they never matched green which worked out mostly since the AI decided to prioritise Black instead for some reason, getting all the way up to 11 Black and 0 green. I think I ended up having to whittle down both deadpool and GSBW with match damage (helped along by strike tiles on red) and the occasional Ares yellow and then finishing with the 25/6 AP Onslaught.

5 nodes to go, but I'm staring at the next Sentry/Hood/Hulk node (all at 217) and going nope. I'll have to hope for some lucky cascades to beat this node I think.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So I'm whittling down Deadpool/GSBW/LThor slowly with Blade/Ares/OBW, saving up green for what will probably end up being a 30-AP Onslaught. Deadpool's down, I'm working on Thor, and I get a big cascade! Yay!

Then GSBW uses Deceptive Tactics. Two match-fours from the move, and then she matches green. I get my turn and check their green AP. 27.

WELP.

Yeah this one has me stumped. Without OBW to deny them AP it becomes a game of keep away that I just can't seem to sustain. Ive been trying to use 166 Patch and Blade with another like 2* Cap or Spidey for the stuns and its just not working. One attempt I LThor down to 50% with Deadpool still to go when he popped a whale on me and boom I was toast. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. I don't have anyone besides Blade to deny them AP which has me contemplating bumping him up a few levels just to give him more HP.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I ended up using the same team with Red/Yellow, Green/Black and All AP boosts. Get Star-Spangled Avenger going as soon as possible, lay down a few Nightstalker tiles to stop them accumulating AP quite so fast, and hope you get a reasonably favourable board.

Edit: whoops! As you might imply from this post, my team had LCap instead of OBW. Me am write gud.
  • Gah! I've been trying all day to do the first node on Global Domination and just getting nowhere. The enemies are at lvl 130, which shouldn't be too hard, despite the fact my guys are only boosted to 134 at best. But I just can't get a working strategy for it without relying on lucky 4/5 matches. The first cascade that goes against me seems to be instant death.

Up until now, I think I've been relying on rolling over all my opponents with Ares and Onslaught, and now I can't use him it's become so much harder. The only other character I have with any hitting power is 3* Cap, but I just can't get enough AP to power his abilities, and OBW keeps getting squished before I can shield or steal.

Oh well, time to wait for some health packs and try again.

Edit: Hooray! Finally did it. Ended up using 60% match boost to down Ares, and 3x all AP boost to make sure I could get enough purple to steal a couple of times. Probably overkill, but hey it worked. icon_razz.gif
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So, Level 266 Sim 41 was a close one (after 4 or 5 previous wipes with various teams.)

XPJRJlb.png

OBW's purple fired 3 times, like a champ preventing 2 Supernovas and a Sacrifice. Then a Sacrifice went off after all, and she gave her life collecting the final Black that Loki needed for Trickery. I could've actually activated both Trickery and Berserk Rage the turn before the Sacrifice, but elected to wait for obvious reasons - not realizing that Hood was about to leech that very needed black from me.

So then OBW was down, Hood was down the next turn to the BR, and I had a bunch of strike and shield tiles. Things were looking good until Sentry managed to get a Supernova off. I thought I was done for, but the shield tiles were just enough for Patch to survive. After Sentry was down, Patch survived a Thunderous Clap, and then there were fewer strike tiles and shields left (thought the converted Sacrifice was still there, there was also a non-converted one that Sentry pulled off before dying) and Hulk was getting ready to Clap again. Used up a level 280 or so Hypersonic Punch TU to stun Hulk for the couple turns I desperately needed to heal up (as well as do decent damage), fired off TBTI, survived the 2nd Clap, and then come to the screenshot icon_e_smile.gif

A pretty tense fight, all things considered, no boosts used.
  • That Loki/Thor/Ares match surprised me. I failed it the first time not because of it being too scaled, but because of my own overconfidence (and a healthy dose of ignorance). My team managed to take down ares and thor, but they were all hurting pretty bad. Think gaping wounds and bones broken through the skin. Loki was down to about 800 health. I had no damage-powers ready to go, but i had cmags yellow and falcon purple and thought "muahahaha! Shielded, fool! Your weapons have no effect on me! Swap allllll the tiles you want!" And matched 3, thwapping Loki upside the head.

Loki turned around and used that *other* skill. You know, the one you hardly ever see? And he looked at my team and said:

"Look at your shields. Now back to me. I have them - and the shields are now attack tiles."

Then he did his tile swap. All my team, already close to the edge, went down and I SWEAR I heard Loki mutter "I'm on a horse." before the match ended.

Lesson learned, Loki. Lesson learned.
  • inadreves1
    inadreves1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I fell in love with LCap, I pass the 38 to 42 without boosts using this team:
    -Blade 1/0/1 lev 133
    -LCap 2/4/4 lev 114 (potential 127)
    -OBW 3/5/5 lev 134

Black and Purple steal, Blue to heal or shield (depending), Yellow shield more later and finally Red to damage 2.3k in 3 turns. I'm invict with this team.
    Praise LCap!!!
  • radav wrote:

WELP.

Yeah this one has me stumped. Without OBW to deny them AP it becomes a game of keep away that I just can't seem to sustain. Ive been trying to use 166 Patch and Blade with another like 2* Cap or Spidey for the stuns and its just not working. One attempt I LThor down to 50% with Deadpool still to go when he popped a whale on me and boom I was toast. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. I don't have anyone besides Blade to deny them AP which has me contemplating bumping him up a few levels just to give him more HP.

If you don't have high lvl LCap, maybe try 2* Mag+Storm+Hawkeye with match damage+critical boosts and blue/purple one.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jorit wrote:
    Have 4 or 5 ** at level 94.

The question I have is in global domination was it really normal that on Simulation 37 it is expecting me to be fighting level 128 people?
    This is interesting because my highest level guys are 70 and Sim 32 (my first "deadly") is 125. Curious to see what happens in 5 more. I wonder if I could just go ahead and level characters more with no ill effect.

Like others, I (after lucking into a single Blade cover) have been using Blade / Ares / OBW, because otherwise the games are a joke. The scaling is twice as high as my normal roster (around 60ish for most of my best, other than the few 70s), which means I'm fielding level 60s against level 120+. I remember last gauntlet I didn't even make it 1/2 way through. I love the format but the games are insanely hard.

I actually have a max-covered 2* cap, which everyone seems to hate, but I've had to spend ISO to level him just because he's boosted and otherwise I don't have anyone with any actual powers when I can't use one of my three above. He turned out to be SUPER handy for the Ares / Thor / Loki node. The good thing about that node is if you can deny green and red, you have a shot. By the end, Cap had so much red and blue that I just kept his shields going the whole time. I even got off his yellow - that's how long the match took. The strongest thing they did was get that teamup off (BP AOE, ouch). In some cases, the team ups are worse than the normal characters.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Down to the last node, level 201 Daken-Daken-Patch. 3 attempts, none pretty so far.

level 233 Sentry-Hood-Hulk gave me fits too (think I lost 4 times), but one semi-decent board and xforce/lcap/obw cleaned it up with barely a scratch. Funny how that works.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Final node in Alpine Tactics? Wolv 143 / Dino 143 / Hulk 143. icon_eek.gif

Absolute slaughterhouse. Considering my boosted chars only go to Ares 134 / BW 134 / Blade 130 ... what the tinykittying ****?!

I just... it just.. icon_cry.gif
  • kalirion wrote:
    So, Level 266 Sim 41 was a close one (after 4 or 5 previous wipes with various teams.)

Same here, I wiped about a dozen times on it (some just trying things out),

boosts:
    +3 blue/purple
    +3 green/black
    TU Fury (the one where you get all sorts of heroes to join on a single attack if you have enough of their color)

team:
    Spiderman
    OBW
    Punisher

* started well (Up to Hood down), 2 drains by OBW, and a cascade/yellow denial allowed a Spider heal right before hood went down. Sentry and Hulk were both full health, I had 3-4 spidey shield tiles out, and seemed like it might be winnable. Only concern was I needed blues/TU tiles to be able to handle hulk, and a bit of building up greens needed to get enough strikes down to have a chance.

* Sentry finally gets a strike tile down around move 10, I get to finally play Punisher's Judgement to get strikes out and get my last needed BU to use Fury
    Next move is a crushing cascade by the enemy, 2 4 matches and a few 3s, OBW is wiped out and punisher severely hurt.

Decided to go for it anyway, 3 turn stun on Hulk from Fury (and some serious damage), Spiderman stuns Sentry with a web on the next 2 turns. I got a pair of nice cascades, now have enough for another judgement, use up all my molitov cocktail, retribution, final moves with Sentry and Hulk still stunned (webs) and win.

I was really worried about this one, took luck, boosts, my best TU, but i made it by. Yay!
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The gauntlet is supposed to be more stress-free, but I find there's a time element in play here as well: the healing element. Starting about halfway thru the 2nd one, I have to stop after a maximum of 2 battles to rest up and restore health packs. You end up having to play almost as often to keep going as quickly as possible once your health is restored - but at least you don't have to grind 10 nodes down every 2.5 hrs.

Already up to 134-ish enemies. It's interesting that I've got higher level enemies on earlier nodes than someone with level 94s in their roster. I wonder what else we're missing?
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just finished it! I couldn't finish the last Gauntlet event.

Sim 41 was the hardest for me: Level 295 Sentry, Hood and Hulk. Hulk isn't a worry, because I have LCap, but man, there was no way to kill Sentry (17,000 or so health) AFTER killing Hood (about 8000 health). It was simply impossible to get them both before Sentry Supernova'ed my team into annihilation. I suppose I could have tried a few times with OBW, but getting her purple would make her die way too fast.

Anyway, Deadpool Whales with the bonus points. Killed the whole team. So glad that's done.

I understand all the people who like prefer the Gauntlet to regular PVE, and I might too, but if my team gets killed five times on the same node, the difficulty may be ramped up too high. Challenging is great. A massive wall that you can't get past simply becomes frustration.

This Gauntlet was a lot better balanced than the last though. That one, I gave up a lot earlier.