The Gauntlet: Oct. 30 - Nov. 4

Options

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just wiped out again in the last essential in in Alpine Tactics. Went in well-boosted and still got my booty handed to me. Again. Looks like I won't even be able to play a node in GD. It's no fun when you can't play. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Square wrote:
    Just finished it! I couldn't finish the last Gauntlet event.

Sim 41 was the hardest for me: Level 295 Sentry, Hood and Hulk. Hulk isn't a worry, because I have LCap, but man, there was no way to kill Sentry (17,000 or so health) AFTER killing Hood (about 8000 health). It was simply impossible to get them both before Sentry Supernova'ed my team into annihilation. I suppose I could have tried a few times with OBW, but getting her purple would make her die way too fast.

Anyway, Deadpool Whales with the bonus points. Killed the whole team. So glad that's done.

I understand all the people who like prefer the Gauntlet to regular PVE, and I might too, but if my team gets killed five times on the same node, the difficulty may be ramped up too high. Challenging is great. A massive wall that you can't get past simply becomes frustration.

This Gauntlet was a lot better balanced than the last though. That one, I gave up a lot earlier.

I used Whales twice in the last Gauntlet. I'm currently waiting for my health packs to recharge before I take on Simulation 42 against star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_thor.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_devildino.png, but so far I've yet to use Whales once yet! I've even been saving up Whales TU's so I wouldn't have to have my low level Deadpool on my team if I wanted to push the button! I've also been considering saving up Venom Devour TU's, saving up 30 Blue AP, throwing out 6 Webs with Spiderman, and eating some people...but I've yet to find the right node for that strategy either.
  • The gauntlet is hard and i did have to use mega whales twice... But i love it. I just wish the rewards were better. Standard tokens for nodes at twice my level? Thanks.
    Honestly, throw out gauntlet tokens or heroics instead of standards on the difficult nodes. Throw out alliance rewards. Do something more. I would grind for the 500 iso, but playing the same node a dozen times and still not getting any of the other rewards is very lame
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    The gauntlet is hard and i did have to use mega whales twice... But i love it. I just wish the rewards were better. Standard tokens for nodes at twice my level? Thanks.
    Honestly, throw out gauntlet tokens or heroics instead of standards on the difficult nodes. Throw out alliance rewards. Do something more. I would grind for the 500 iso, but playing the same node a dozen times and still not getting any of the other rewards is very lame

The Gauntlet is based around the idea of Progression rewards...and this is not the 1st time Alliance progression rewards have been suggested. I'd really like to see them implemented for Seasons, especially with the 4* characters like star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_thor.png
  • The difficulty curve seems to be a bit smoother so you don't have as many crazy stuff like level 395 Ares or Juggernaut, or OBW doing 1K damage on a match 3 with Espionage, but on the flip side the teams you face are all pretty good and you get virtually no freebies in the final bracket. Unless you're going to use the AP+3 all boosts a lot of those games you have to play very carefully even with some kind of AP steal/drain mechanism (OBW, The Hood, X Force) and if not you better have some kind of stun. Wind Storm or Widow's Sting TUs will be quite useful if you have them.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Square wrote:
    Two more heavily boosted defeats. I'm giving up on Gauntlet. Couldn't finish second stage. One shy of Daken cover. Sucks but I've wasted so many boosts and the AI just wipes the floor with me. Hate to get so far and give up with one to go.

/sad
    What team are you using? Who else is on your bench?

It's not a pretty picture. I've pretty much been using Blade (buffed 135), Ares (buffed 134), and Capt. Marvel (buffed to 70 icon_e_wink.gif)

On the bench I have OBW (135) and a few 94s (Daken, MNMags, CStorm, Thor and Wolvie). Next highest is 80. Am facing 135s. I could try more with Ares and OBW, but just a few strike and she's toast. Any suggetions, if there are any to be had, would be welcome.
    Switch Marvel for OBW. Go in with +3 blue/purple. Make purple a priority until X-Force is down (or whoever scares you most). At your level, she should be able to steal twice, and that will get you in deep enough.

One of my alliance mates had a great Gauntlet strategy: Because the node increase incrementally as you go along, do them in this order: all sims, second essentials, first essentials. The essentials are a little easier, so doing the sims first means the final one will be some percent easier than if you do it last.

Good luck! I was ready to quit at Captain Marvel, but somehow got that final Black Panther. Switching rosters is surprisingly effective. Sometimes this game is like rock, paper, scissors. Certain characters slice through others like butter.
  • Two more heavily boosted defeats. I'm giving up on Gauntlet. Couldn't finish second stage. One shy of Daken cover. Sucks but I've wasted so many boosts and the AI just wipes the floor with me. Hate to get so far and give up with one to go.

/sad

I can't tell what stage you're stuck on based on that description because it can either be the last essential or the last node on the standard path. Looking at your roster you should use Ares + OBW + Storm, or Ares + Magneto + Storm if having OBW tanking 3 colors turns out to be too hard. Remember to put Ares in the center position so that OBW doesn't have to tank TUs because she's fragile enough as is. Your strategy in general should be to take one guy out quickly with Ares and then get 22 blue for 2 Wind Storms if needed on the remaining 2 guys. Of course it'd be easier to get them down to just one guy but looking at the composition of the enemy in the two possible nodes you can be stuck on they all feature guys with a ton of HP so being able to take out two of them quickly is likely out of the question.
  • DrStrange-616
    Options
    Sorry, yes, it's the last essential (She-Hulk, Hulk and Colossus). I have to play Capt. Marvel. Unfortunately. That's what's killing me.

eta: And thank you both for the advice. I might not be able to apply it here, but it's all good to know for the future!
  • DrStrange-616
    Options
    Two more heavily boosted defeats. I'm giving up on Gauntlet. Couldn't finish second stage. One shy of Daken cover. Sucks but I've wasted so many boosts and the AI just wipes the floor with me. Hate to get so far and give up with one to go.

/sad
  • Sorry, yes, it's the last essential (She-Hulk, Hulk and Colossus). I have to play Capt. Marvel. Unfortunately. That's what's killing me.

I'd try Ares + OBW first. There's no way a 1/1/1 Blade could possibly contribute as much as OBW. If OBW is too hard to keep alive then I don't have any good suggestions, but you should only need to be matching purple out of OBW's colors. You won't always have a choice, but blue/black is pretty much irrelevent here. I'd get She-Hulk first because you have absolutely no way to deal with a Power of Attorney if it resolves looking at your roster. Hulk should be left for last unless they're sitting on a ton of green. It's better to take a Smash than a Colossal Punch if you can't stop the red. If they do have 11 red make sure you attack Hulk until you either took a Smash or a Colossal Punch because Colossal Punch with Colossus in front is likely game ending.

Note that you don't have to kill Colossus at the earliest possibility unless you somehow had a ton of black (so you can sort of stun the last guy) because having Colossus alive means they'll try to collect yellow/black and if you can kill him on demand (say with a move like Sunder) then that mitigates a lot of damage, since if Hulk is the only person left the AI will try to match red/black/green on almost every opportunity. Wind Storm/Widow's Sting TUs can be useful when it's just down to Hulk, though it's pretty hard to lose to just Hulk unless you totally miscalculated Anger.
  • DrStrange-616
    Options
    Thanks, Phantron! I'll give that a go tomorrow. Appreciate your help.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options

/sad
  • Sorry, yes, it's the last essential (She-Hulk, Hulk and Colossus). I have to play Capt. Marvel. Unfortunately. That's what's killing me.

eta: And thank you both for the advice. I might not be able to apply it here, but it's all good to know for the future!

I don't know if this applies since I was in your situatio -> Ares(134)/OBW(134)/low-covered Capt.Marvel(70). I downed Colossus using OBW (espionage-steal, heal), then She-Hulk, lastly Hulk cuz if you attack him, he'll generate greens (which is what you don't want to do). I don't think I boosted any of my characters until the deadly nodes, if it helps, get a team-up(preferably one of 1000+ attack), 50% boost Blue/Purple and Green/Black.

*Note that you need to save Ares's red last or else Hulk's stupid passive activates and use Sunder while you can. AND I was constantly looking at how much AP the other team was generating. It might be tedious, but it helps.
  • DrStrange-616
    Options
    mizmrk wrote:
    Sorry, yes, it's the last essential (She-Hulk, Hulk and Colossus). I have to play Capt. Marvel. Unfortunately. That's what's killing me.

I don't know if this applies since I was in your situatio -> Ares(134)/OBW(134)/low-covered Capt.Marvel(70). I downed Colossus using OBW (espionage-steal, heal), then She-Hulk, lastly Hulk cuz if you attack him, he'll generate greens (which is what you don't want to do). I don't think I boosted any of my characters until the deadly nodes, if it helps, get a team-up(preferably one of 1000+ attack), 50% boost Blue/Purple and Green/Black.

*Note that you need to save Ares's red last or else Hulk's stupid passive activates and use Sunder while you can. AND I was constantly looking at how much AP the other team was generating. It might be tedious, but it helps.

Ah, I see. Very helpful. I was doing a lot of things wrong. <---newb
  • DrStrange-616
    Options
    Square wrote:

/sad

It's not a pretty picture. I've pretty much been using Blade (buffed 135), Ares (buffed 134), and Capt. Marvel (buffed to 70 icon_e_wink.gif)

On the bench I have OBW (135) and a few 94s (Daken, MNMags, CStorm, Thor and Wolvie). Next highest is 80. Am facing 135s. I could try more with Ares and OBW, but just a few strike and she's toast. Any suggetions, if there are any to be had, would be welcome.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I tried Ares/oBW on that and got slaughtered, then took in LThor/oBW + blue/purple & black/green boosts. Start by killing Colossus - no point getting Hulk down to 27 life just to have Colossus jump in the front. I then waited until Thor's green was maxed out then just hit Hulk multiple times (having made sure it'd be enough with whatever other side abilities were available, to kill him outright). And steal, steal, steal / heal, heal, heal with oBW.

The problem with Ares is you're going to end up giving green to someone, which is a bit counter-productive.

Don't know how well this'd do on 2* Thor, though. But that's my $00.02.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just wiped out again in the last essential in in Alpine Tactics. Went in well-boosted and still got my booty handed to me. Again. Looks like I won't even be able to play a node in GD. It's no fun when you can't play. icon_e_sad.gif

You don't need to complete the Essentials to unlock the next gauntlet.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mizmrk wrote:

Ah, I see. Very helpful. I was doing a lot of things wrong. <---newb

It's unconventional, but I would go in with +50% Purple/Blue and or +100% all match damage (or both). That will help accelerate downing one character. Those were the boosts I went to at the end, rather than the AP boost.

In these crazy hard nodes relative to your own level, matches are more sustained, so an extra match or 2 worth of AP loses its effectiveness; you just can't KO characters quickly. But the extra damage sustains throughout the match, and will make it more likely when you get a kill shot prepped, it will actually be a kill shot.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    It's unconventional, but I would go in with +50% Purple/Blue and or +100% all match damage (or both). That will help accelerate downing one character. Those were the boosts I went to at the end, rather than the AP boost.

In these crazy hard nodes relative to your own level, matches are more sustained, so an extra match or 2 worth of AP loses its effectiveness; you just can't KO characters quickly. But the extra damage sustains throughout the match, and will make it more likely when you get a kill shot prepped, it will actually be a kill shot.

Agreed, AP boosts are useful if getting an ability off early will make or break the match. Match Damage boosts are especially nice for longer games. If you can toss out a few protect tiles, once your opponents match damage becomes Zero (ok, it's 1 but might as well be zero), Damage boosts can make crushing them more manageable BEFORE the AI randomly collects enough AP to use a game ending power. Add in OBW or another AP stealer, you're golden.

This takes forever, and is contrary to the current meta-game, but when you are handling characters with 100 Levels over your own, it's not likely you'll be taking them down fast in the 1st place.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can I get some tips for Essential 15 (Patch and the 2 Dakens)? This is my last node for the Gauntlet but it scares me.
    Got surprisingly close with OBW and Storm but you can't prevent all strike tiles and the ones that get through really add up.