The Gauntlet: Oct. 30 - Nov. 4

Options

Comments

• farming iso has not been happening for me. keep getting 20 iso awards and scaling has gotten to a point where its just not worth it anymore. man do i wish they would limit the drop rate for freaking 20 iso. not saying i'm not enjoying matching 3 for the fun of it but it gets annoying to barely win a grueling match and get greeted at the finish line with.. 20 iso.
  • Can I get some tips for Essential 15 (Patch and the 2 Dakens)? This is my last node for the Gauntlet but it scares me.
    Got surprisingly close with OBW and Storm but you can't prevent all strike tiles and the ones that get through really add up.

who do you have available on your roster? did you boost? i'm going to assume you have mostly a 2* roster if you're using obw and cstorm (?) ...perhaps try MNmags with cstorm and see if you cant get enough blue AP to get multiple windstorms. also, mags' purple might help you wipe out some of those strike tiles if you can line them up strategically. got any decent TUs you can bring in with you?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can I get some tips for Essential 15 (Patch and the 2 Dakens)? This is my last node for the Gauntlet but it scares me.
    Got surprisingly close with OBW and Storm but you can't prevent all strike tiles and the ones that get through really add up.

Personally I took that one with Lazy Cap, Falcon, and our required Blade. Focus on Patch 1st since he can cause the most damage should he get enough AP to pull off Best There Is. Sure if you get lucky, Berserker Rage can benefit you, but it's not worth the risk when your team is already hurting. After that focus on DA Wolverine, rather than Classic Daken. Yes, Classic Spits out 2 stoke tiles, but combined they are worth less than the single tile DA spits out.

Try getting out some Protect tiles to mitigate the damage from Daken's Strike tiles. Falcon was helpful for both of those things since he could send out Redwing to slowly destroy Strike tiles, while also pumping up my defense tiles that he and Cap were dropping for me. Blade was a good meat shield, but depending on your build, perhaps he can be more worth while. Even while you are focusing on Patch, focus on Blue (unless C.Storm is tanking it, which is just asking for her to die.) Once you get below 6 blue on the board, both Daken will be losing health every turn.

Stuns are also your friend to keep these 3 from regenerating ad nauseam. Cap really shined here since between his red and blue he was able to keep one of them stunned for long enough that 2 Shield Throws took each one out.

Final bit of advice: Whales, Whales, Whales!!! Use a Team-Up, use a level 40 Deadpool, whatever you have lying around. The Gauntlet is why I've been stockpiling Whales TU's and playing with Deadpool everyday. If you don't have a Deadpool right now, I know this isn't helpful.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've got a full roster wig a number of 3-stars fully covered. Just tried OBW and CStorm to deny AP and keep someone stunned. Just had a lack of damage dealing with only a black and a green for Blade.

Falcon is a good idea. He's a great ace in the hole I always forget about.
    I'm sure this match depends a lot on the kind of board you get more than others. If you can't get rid of any strike tiles you're going to be screwed no matter what.

UPDATE:
    Yep, that did the trick! Blade was hurt with barely 1000hp and I still managed the win the match with Cap & Falcon with more than full health left.
    If all else fails, FALCON. Thanks for the tips!
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Victory!

Just thought I'd report back that it worked! Thank you all so much for your help. I used a lot of boosts (80% all and 40% b/p), but the strategy of Ares/OBW, steal and heal worked. I went after She-Hulk first, then Colossus with Sunder and a few lucky turns. Saved my Rampage and massive Onslaught for Hulk. Could have sqeaked by with fewer boosts, I think, but I wanted this one! It's silly to spend so much on one, but that's how they get ya. icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks again for the mini-education. I learned a lot during this exchange.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TazFTW wrote:
    Just wiped out again in the last essential in in Alpine Tactics. Went in well-boosted and still got my booty handed to me. Again. Looks like I won't even be able to play a node in GD. It's no fun when you can't play. icon_e_sad.gif

You don't need to complete the Essentials to unlock the next gauntlet.

Yeah, I meant that I won't be able to play it because it's so dang hard!
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    I've got a full roster wig a number of 3-stars fully covered. Just tried OBW and CStorm to deny AP and keep someone stunned. Just had a lack of damage dealing with only a black and a green for Blade.

Falcon is a good idea. He's a great ace in the hole I always forget about.
    I'm sure this match depends a lot on the kind of board you get more than others. If you can't get rid of any strike tiles you're going to be screwed no matter what.

It's a long battle either way with 3 active regenerators on the other side. Those Strike tiles are more of an irritation, that need to be addressed before they add up to too much. Pay attention to what tiles you're matching away when given the choice though. Destroying 3 DA Daken tiles is far better than matching 6 Classic Daken Tiles.
  • Oof, not sure how much farther I can go. I just got to the icon_caroldanvers.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_colossus_new.png node in the 3rd section. They're all level 200, and my strongest character is Patch at 144. Some of them are boosted higher, but even with that, it took me 10 tries and 2 2-hour breaks for me to beat the icon_sentry.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_blackpanther.png I've used up almost all of my boosts, I'm saving the last of my HP to shield for a run on the PVP so I can try for another Blade cover.

I'm not giving up, per se, just dispirited.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I ended up mega whales-ing the Daken/Daken/Patch node for my final win. I tried to win legitimately a few times but I had no offense that could keep up with that regeneration, not to mention trying to avoid BR. Everything else went pretty smoothly, though. Even the LDaken essentials, which I was dreading because all mine is good for is tanking, were perfectly winnable.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For me on a double dakken patch node Loki was MvP. At first I was really sceptic even considering him (I have just 2 black covers on him) but after around 10 painfull loses Ive decided to give him a go and man I was so suprised. Even tho on my 1st attempt Ive lost my obw really fast I was really close to win (thier patch had under 1k hp when my last one - loki - has fallen), but on 2nd attempt Ive won rather easly - just make sure you have enough black for him after bers rage, cast it and then just laugh icon_e_smile.gif.

I have a problem on trio thor round tho... Im running my cripple dakken (2/2/1) with obw and storm but... one small lucky cascade for them and Its over... as their 3*thor can oneshoot any of my chars with his single skill... Any idea for someone with 2* rooster? ;p
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OBW, boost blue/purple, steal steal steal. If either Thor manages to get a power off you're in trouble, but their moves are so expensive that you should be able to stop them by prioritizing purple and blue (to Espionage away blue that could be used to stun). Bring a Lethal Recon team-up too - that can save a match in a pinch.
  • Sim 41, lv277 lady thor,fury,dino. Every time i am desperate, daredevil gives me a surprlise. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lv166 Punishe(4/5/4)r+lv123Hood(4/5/4)+lv134 Daredevil(5/3/5), no TU, no boosts,win the game only Hood downed before my game ending Retribution
  • I'm almost giving up on this one. Need 5 more to get blueflag.pngicon_blackpanther.png, but sim41 is REALLY hard. It's lv 266 Sentry, Hood and Hulk!

Have: Devil dino 5-5-3 lv 220, blade 2-0-0 lv 135, ares lv 134 4-4-5, obw lv 134 3-5-5, cap lv 134 3-5-5, cStorm lv 94 and Thor lv 94. Also some 3 star.png . Any tips?

Obw helps a lots but hulk smashs it like a cockroach!
  • Slyli
    Slyli Posts: 15
    Options
    mariosss wrote:
    I'm almost giving up on this one. Need 5 more to get blueflag.pngicon_blackpanther.png, but sim41 is REALLY hard. It's lv 266 Sentry, Hood and Hulk!

Have: Devil dino 5-5-3 lv 220, blade 2-0-0 lv 135, ares lv 134 4-4-5, obw lv 134 3-5-5, cap lv 134 3-5-5, cStorm lv 94 and Thor lv 94. Also some 3 star.png . Any tips?

Obw helps a lots but hulk smashs it like a cockroach!

Do you have mnmags? I passed that node on the second try with OBW, CStorm, MNMags and +3P/B boost. You have to be a bit lucky with board and cascades, but if everything goes right, you will be overflowing with AP and hammering at a stun-locked enemy team. Oh, and their levels where 266 as well.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Like probably a few others, Sim 37 is going to be the end of it for me. That one is OBW, Dino, and Colossus - none of which are too hard on their own, but if you think about it you'll realize that's a deadly trap in EVERY COLOR, so you can't possibly deny the AI. Not to mention their teamup is facial Storm's kill-everyone-blue. My best team (by a mile) is 130 boosted Blade, 110 boosted Ares, 100 boosted OBW (out of course), and in last place, 2* Cap at boosted 80. Everyone else is either level 70 or lower (mostly lower) or with two covers (Daken and Cap. Marvel). Meanwhile the AI is all 148, which means even OBW has over 5k HP and Dino clocks in at over 10k. I just can't kill anyone fast enough for SOMETHING not to go off, and pretty much two Dinos or one + a Fastball is it for any of my characters. And the teamup just means game over.

It's not a bad place to stop, honestly. Got two 3* covers out of the deal which is still better than every single event I've played since the first PvE I played when I got 4. (Kiddie pool, I assume.) Looking at what others are reporting down the line I don't have ~9 more battles in me for Black Panther. And this way I don't feel bad about the fact that I can't really play PvP anymore, either, since I don't have to worry about failing to grab another Blade cover to desperately try for that last little bit.

As someone above said, "challenge" is fun but there's a fine line between that and frustrating.
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Like probably a few others, Sim 37 is going to be the end of it for me.

It is probably the end of the line for me as well...I don't see myself reaching the icon_blackpanther.pngblueflag.png & I am happy that with my mostly star.pngstar.png roster along with boosted Blade that I actually scored the icon_caroldanvers.pngblackflag.png on top of the icon_daken.pngblackflag.png that I got earlier this week.

I came close once with a combo of star.pngstar.pngicon_storm.png & icon_magneto.png with major boosts to bluetile.png & purpletile.png but no cigar...I might try again just for the sake of beating the node in between my PvP climbs which is now the priority again as I seem to have done as much as I will for the Gauntlet...

I can't wait for the next one to see if I can do better still as I improved from the last time that event ran... icon_cool.gif
  • Riding CStorm/MNMag/MHawk as far as they'll take me. Up to node 41, with Hood/Sentry/Hulk all 220+. Kinda scared.
  • On the plus side:

-Ares is a bawse
    -Sentry works magic

On the con side:

-There's a pretty high chance of me setting off Hulk or C. Marvel because everyone has SO MUCH HP!
    -Deadpool only has so many whales
    -OBW dies instantly...why can't she be 3 or 4 stars icon_e_sad.gif

I'm pretty satisfied with my progress, but I beat the last one - so I hypothetically should be able to beat this one. Could really use the BP cover to boost his level cap to 110. Was there as big a level gap for the last gauntlet? I know it was tough and storm/mag + luck was really the only way you could beat it. I hate not having it finished because PVP is soon and work is tomorrow unfortunately...
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Like probably a few others, Sim 37 is going to be the end of it for me. That one is OBW, Dino, and Colossus - none of which are too hard on their own, but if you think about it you'll realize that's a deadly trap in EVERY COLOR, so you can't possibly deny the AI. Not to mention their teamup is facial Storm's kill-everyone-blue.

Something I just read about yesterday that can help:
    IF you don't like the TU the AI is about to use, back out and change your team to include the character you want to avoid. I've also noticed the game changes the TU based on your team overall. Don't like that TU for the AI, try a different team all together. You might be surprised what pops out.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Like probably a few others, Sim 37 is going to be the end of it for me. That one is OBW, Dino, and Colossus - none of which are too hard on their own, but if you think about it you'll realize that's a deadly trap in EVERY COLOR, so you can't possibly deny the AI. Not to mention their teamup is facial Storm's kill-everyone-blue. My best team (by a mile) is 130 boosted Blade, 110 boosted Ares, 100 boosted OBW (out of course), and in last place, 2* Cap at boosted 80. Everyone else is either level 70 or lower (mostly lower) or with two covers (Daken and Cap. Marvel). Meanwhile the AI is all 148, which means even OBW has over 5k HP and Dino clocks in at over 10k. I just can't kill anyone fast enough for SOMETHING not to go off, and pretty much two Dinos or one + a Fastball is it for any of my characters. And the teamup just means game over.

That match had to give me my most frustrating loss. I was using LDaken/Patch/Falcon. I had OBW down with Dino and Colossus around 5000 HP a piece. Daken was down, Falcon had enough HP to take one more hit, but Patch had full health. I had enough AP for Berserker Rage and a World Rupture TU, and then this happened:
    Dropped World Rupture.
    Next turn dropped Rage and put falcon in front as a sacrifice.
    Colossus used Fastball Special on Dino and killed Falcon with match damage.
    World Rupture killed Colossus but Dino was airborne. Got a small cascade but it didn't do anything since he was still airborne.
    Dino drops with his Green, and wipes my Patch that still had a little over 5000 HP.