The Gauntlet: Oct. 30 - Nov. 4

Options

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll take one round against Thor/Thor/Ragnarok (they're very Thorry) over ten rounds of Hitman/Muscle/Thug any day of the week and twice on Sundays. It's the repetition that makes regular PvE such a pain, not the difficulty of any single fight.
    You're confusing tedium with stress. I'm not going to argue the former, because that's an individual thing, but there is nothing at all stressful about grinding a goon node. Despite your attempt to reframe the argument, it was your initial "no stress" comment about the Gauntlet that I took exception to. Geez, I'm getting agitated just looking at worldrunner's screenshots, much less actually playing them.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you don't find any stress in rushing through the fights every 2.5 hours, either from needing to rush through them ASAP or having to block out the time necessary for those runs, well, you're calmer than I.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Geez, I'm getting agitated just looking at worldrunner's screenshots, much less actually playing them.

Those are his nodes for his roster (270 15 166s). You won't be facing that unless you have the same roster. Sure I will be fighting some foes 100+ levels above me at some point, but I will only need to do that once, and only if I want to (if I am not having fun, I'm out after the Capt. Marvel or final HP progression). In a PvE for new covers, I will be fighting those same sort of levels, multiple times, all while looking at what kind of lead I have on 10th place.

Also with this I don't need to worry about some max roster person passing at the last hour or two to claim the 4* reward for top 2, just so they get an extra 1000 Iso. Yeah this is far less stressful, and aggitating.

Play what you want, for as long as you want, when you want, and don't worry about what any one else is doing. I fail to see how this is not better.
  • ironsmudgie
    ironsmudgie Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So are there any other good rewards for completing individual nodes? Or are they all standard tokens/iso?
  • What's this faux rage of scaling from Worldrunner's screenshot? If you had a roster in that range seeing a 395 is just 'here we go again'. If you're intimidated by the levels of the guys posted in Worldrunner's screenshot you obviously never been anywhere close to the bad end of scaling. This is what the entire Unstable Isotope event looked like except enemies are even higher level and you have to do it over and over again. They even throw Thor 4* on quite a few of the highest level nodes, which is one of the most desireable opponent to see at level 300+ because 4* scales incredibly poorly with levels. They even tuned down the overall scaling so that it's almost reasonable for the highest rosters, and for everyone else it's significantly easier. Aside from Sentry still being way overpowered there isn't anything particularly nasty based on what I've seen so far, and I'll take 3 Sentry nodes that you have to do once over 5 nodes that has Ares or Daken that you have to also repeat at least 5 times per sub to be competitive.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punter1 wrote:
    Do others want to post their opening node values and rough top roster lvls?
    Simulation 1 in Wilderness Survival was level 100 all. In case that was static, Sim. 2 was level 43. My highest is 70.

Is scaling a factor? I didn't think anything scaled. I mean, I know the nodes are eventually insane, but ... no scaling, right?
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    Punter1 wrote:
    Do others want to post their opening node values and rough top roster lvls?
    Simulation 1 in Wilderness Survival was level 100 all. In case that was static, Sim. 2 was level 43. My highest is 70.

Is scaling a factor? I didn't think anything scaled. I mean, I know the nodes are eventually insane, but ... no scaling, right?

Last time this was ran, a Dev confirmed that there's scaling according to your initial Roster strength. And we noticed that it seemed to also scale up as you beat nodes. However, there didn't seem to be any community scaling, since the levels didn't just go up by themselves with time.
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I personally believe there should be a 4* reward for finishing this and not iw

Edited to remove hateful speech. My apologies to the mpq community.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    spccrain wrote:
    I personally believe there should be a 4* reward for finishing this and not invisiho.

Don't be sexist. Don't be sexist on these forums and don't be sexist in general. Please.
  • Look at the total Reputation, don't feed the trolls.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I didn't even look. But, I still think it's a good reminder to the rest of the community. Let's try to be civil when discussing female characters.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    Next time you guys/girls/others run a Facebook poll, ask us which 3 covers we would like to try to earn the next time this runs. This is already a well-liked enough event; the fewer complaints about this awesome occurrence, the better.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    It's not less stuff overall.
    I know what you say is taken as gospel around here, but this simply isn't true. In that last PvP, I didn't lose any sleep, didn't kill myself grinding, and got four 3s, the IW, 50 hp a day from subs, plus a couple hundred HP from the final awards. Here, I'm seeing one less 3, no chance for a 4, and hundreds less in HP.

And yes, you might insist that I'm a 1%'er whose PvE experience is atypical, but if you think more than 1% of players are going to bother to plow through those formations that worldrunner posted, I seriously doubt it. And either way, those who do, will be seriously undercompensated for it relative to other PvPs
    Heh, no worries about the first bit: many of us can tell the difference between quantity and quality.

I'm pretty sure that Gauntlet is intentionally designed to give out poorer rewards due to the devs anchoring PVE reward structures against a set rate of cover outflow. Since Gauntlet is entirely progression-based, there is no quick-and-dirty way to ensure that only X proportion of players get X number of good covers, whereas placement rewards automatically accomplish this by design. Thus, the devs don't want to hand out overly many valuable covers (insert colorful speculation about reasons here), yet want to try holding a progression-only PVE. End result: Gauntlet has notably poorer rewards than a normal PVE.

IIRC, awarding a newer Captain Marvel cover for less-than-top progression is more generous than the previous iteration of Gauntlet (which awarded a pretty old cover). If that's true, I hope the trend continues (and accelerates).

I have a high-end roster, as well, and if my scaling as bad as WR's, I don't plan on banging my head against hero nodes with that kind of scaling until I win. I'll try it a couple of times just to see Super-GT in action, but I don't expect much.
  • spccrain
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean to offend just used to using that term when discussing that particular character. And that rep is because of trolls actually. Good forbid someone have an opinion on a forum that goes against the populous Lol anyway we all know iw is useless as of now. I think there should definetly be a good reward for this event not the worst power on a half decent 3*
  • spccrain wrote:
    Sorry didn't mean to offend just used to using that term when discussing that particular character. And that rep is because of trolls actually. Good forbid someone have an opinion on a forum that goes against the populous Lol anyway we all know iw is useless as of now. I think there should definetly be a good reward for this event not the worst power on a half decent 3*

Her preferred term is 'Baglady' icon_e_wink.gif
  • spccrain
    Options
    Haha thanks sir she shall hereby be referred to as "bag lady"
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is it even possible to get all the progression rewards if you can't do the essential nodes because, like most people, I don't have a Blade?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No. You can get the Captain Marvel cover but not BP or Daken.

Edit: but bear in mind Blade will be a PvP prize in the next event, which will end before the Gauntlet does.
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Konman wrote:
    Is it even possible to get all the progression rewards if you can't do the essential nodes because, like most people, I don't have a Blade?

There's also a slight chance of pulling a Blade in the Gauntlet tokens. I'm pretty sure you can reach them both without doing essential nodes. Or, if you have HP to burn and feel lucky, you can always buy tokens.
  • SirPhobos wrote:
    Her preferred term is 'Baglady' icon_e_wink.gif

I call her "Auntie Sue".
    She looks like she should be an Aunt. She's seen life, and it's dealt her some ****. A couple of kids, divorced due to a deadbeat husband, big mortgage, and appealingly rescuable. It's the slightly odd knight in shining armour complex I have sometimes. icon_e_wink.gif