Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) - 2*

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The yellow has use anytime you need to shake the board, which is not that infrequent. The red has use when you're fighting Bullseye and can't stop him from matching a bunch of purple and can't just nuke him, which happens much much less often. I really can't see why anyone would put more than three ranks in it unless they're planning to run Ms. Marvel and no other red users.
  • onimus wrote:
    Its 5/5/3 because having an outclassed red is better than having a trash yellow.

if said yellow is finally allowing me to bring and use multiple powerful game changer team ups like adamantium slash, wind storm, thunderstrike, call of the storm and so on, then I really wouldn't call it trash and would rather invest more ranks in it than red, also the possibility of cascades caused by dropping 9 tiles on the board is also a factor since it can net more AP for your team.

really is something to consider
    Team ups are also now becoming extremely rare. I basically only use them in emergencies because I don't know the next time I'll be getting any useful ones.

I get maybe 1 team up tile per 5 or 6 matches.

So if you're using 2 or 3 team ups per match, with this ability, you'd run out very quickly, making having a ton of Team up completely worthless.

Hence the trash.

The cascades are something to consider. But for 12 yellow, I could cascade 9 green tiles, deal damage on top of that as well as power up one of the strongest abilities in the 2 star range.

I do think the ability has an interesting interaction with 3 star magneto. create a bunch of team up tiles. Destroy them all. Rinse and repeat.

But that would further beg the question; why am I using a 3 star and a 2 star as a core team? Wouldn't I be trying to phase the 2 star out at that point?

I just don't see any real synergy available in the 2 star range that would make this ability worth anything.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    onimus wrote:
    Team ups are also now becoming extremely rare. I basically only use them in emergencies because I don't know the next time I'll be getting any useful ones.

really? the game keeps throwing TUs at me whether I like it or not
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    onimus wrote:
    onimus wrote:
    Its 5/5/3 because having an outclassed red is better than having a trash yellow.

if said yellow is finally allowing me to bring and use multiple powerful game changer team ups like adamantium slash, wind storm, thunderstrike, call of the storm and so on, then I really wouldn't call it trash and would rather invest more ranks in it than red, also the possibility of cascades caused by dropping 9 tiles on the board is also a factor since it can net more AP for your team.

really is something to consider

I get maybe 1 team up tile per 5 or 6 matches.

So if you're using 2 or 3 team ups per match, with this ability, you'd run out very quickly, making having a ton of Team up completely worthless.

Hence the trash.

The cascades are something to consider. But for 12 yellow, I could cascade 9 green tiles, deal damage on top of that as well as power up one of the strongest abilities in the 2 star range.

I do think the ability has an interesting interaction with 3 star magneto. create a bunch of team up tiles. Destroy them all. Rinse and repeat.

But that would further beg the question; why am I using a 3 star and a 2 star as a core team? Wouldn't I be trying to phase the 2 star out at that point?

*spoiler to cut down on size*

I just don't see any real synergy available in the 2 star range that would make this ability worth anything.

Hawkeye maybe since 5Y is pretty likely to trigger speed shot...but Thor still does the same thing only better.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    Another junk character. Usable black ability and not much else.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Ok, so icon_ms_marvel.png is an extremely skilled tactician right? Then can someone explain why her yellow is random??? They should be selected by her, you know like how 2 star.pngicon_magneto.png and 3 star.pngicon_blackwidow.png can change selected tiles. It honestly would exponentially increase her use and make her pretty bad ****! Then those icon_bullseye.png team ups become everyone's favorite!!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nellyson wrote:
    Ok, so icon_ms_marvel.png is an extremely skilled tactician right? Then can someone explain why her yellow is random??? They should be selected by her, you know like how 2 star.pngicon_magneto.png and 3 star.pngicon_blackwidow.png can change selected tiles. It honestly would exponentially increase her use and make her pretty bad ****! Then those icon_bullseye.png team ups become everyone's favorite!!

At level 5 she will produce 9 tiles like thunder strike. She will make plenty of critical tiles with 9. The Dev's are looking for players to use more TU especially on the 2* level and new players. Vet's are going to play with AP boosts until they go away so if the Dev's can get new players and 2* players to consistantly use TU to win TU won't be the epic dud they are now. If you have the right TU this can actually be a really good power
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime wrote:
    Nellyson wrote:

At level 5 she will produce 9 tiles like thunder strike. She will make plenty of critical tiles with 9. The Dev's are looking for players to use more TU especially on the 2* level and new players. Vet's are going to play with AP boosts until they go away so if the Dev's can get new players and 2* players to consistantly use TU to win TU won't be the epic dud they are now. If you have the right TU this can actually be a really good power

Oh I get it being like Thunder Strike. But my problem is the power description. A master tactician wouldn't make random moves. Overall tho, it's not that bad of a power. I just wish it fit her by being able to "tacitly" place the team ups. It's just a bad miss by the devs.
  • Nellyson wrote:
    A master tactician wouldn't make random moves. Overall tho, it's not that bad of a power. I just wish it fit her by being able to "tacitly" place the team ups. It's just a bad miss by the devs.

Yes like how a master tactician wouldn't place his trap randomly, oh wait...
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, it's a shame that her red doesn't do comparable damage to say, Moonstone's. Still, 932 damage on defense is better than 0 damage on defense, and at 7 AP it has a much better chance of activating than other red powers. 2* damage is just low, you know? It probably scales nice when she's powered up to 194 icon_e_smile.gif

Those numbers would be much sexier if it was AoE. It's only decent if you're rolling her with no other red user, which is sad, because you should be rolling her with Hawkeye. 0/5/5 should be an option on the poll.

I just don't think the defense tile rider makes much sense (except as an adaptation of the 3* version) since defense tiles are barely a part of the 2* meta. Or even the 2-3* meta! (unless the devs have 2* Iceman or something up their sleeve which will want an effective counter.). Probably, they want to encourage a robust 2* roster and swapping characters as the situation demands, instead of just rolling 2 primaries and whatever the featured character is, specifically making her a Bullseye counter. Strike Tiles are far superior as defense tile mitigation than actively destroying them, since they're always useful. Hell, if this power destroyed special tiles, or just strike/defense tiles it would be much, much more attractive.

Her yellow power is where it's at. That's a cheap AP/crit cascade, and there's something to be said for how nice Team Up AP can be on defense (popping the random unexpected Demolition or Aggressive Recon). Would I rather Sunder? It depends.

On a stray topic, I think it'd be cool if she contrasted better with Moonstone, like, say, Hawkeye and Bullseye. I love that Speed Shots and Adamantium Bones block each other on purple. Spider-Man/Venom and Thor/Ragnarok both up the stakes (web or green generation) when facing each other. Daken and Wolverine create interplay between green and red (and previously, yellow) tiles. Moonstone/Marvel, however, meh? I guess you're matching red to starve Moonstone, and she can steal Sonic Boom's countdown? That's something, I guess, but maybe they should give Moonstone a Defense tile or something.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll have to say 3/5/5. Her red is that bad, and in 2* land you aren't hurting for decent red abilities. People are trashing her yellow, but honestly the way they are moving towards TU's I think this is will be overpowered down the road, much like Hood's intimidation was thought to be trash or situational at best and all of a sudden with Sentry, has become highly regarded. The sheer fact that yellow can create massive cascades and criticals while netting you TU that in the right circumstances can let you do some seriously degnerative things. She basically lets you get those massively high TU skills off, like say BWGS's sniper rifle. At worst this skill will shuffle the board, net you some TU and AP and do a fair amount of damage. My only though for possibly going 5/5/3 would be to actually abuse the yellow with C.Mags, since it lowers your chances of a cascade leaving more TU's up for Magneto to blow up with Polarizng Force. Another fun combo would be with Storm 1* or Mohawk, use Marvel's yellow to creat TU to use a TU Mistress of the Elements to blow up more TU tiles, to do damage and cast another TU.

However, I do think for people in the early stages, she is actually more valuabe at 5/5/3 just for the fact you tend to play more prologue and such and that means lots of Bullseye and she helps mitigate that.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    People are trashing her yellow, but honestly the way they are moving towards TU's I think this is will be overpowered down the road.

I was thinking about this earlier and can very much agree with it since they have been weaving the use of TU tiles/AP into powers lately.

currently we have:

-mistress of the elements: destroys some TU tiles for damage and get the AP for them
    -battle plan: drops even stronger strike tiles when you have 12 or more TU AP saved up
    -polarizing force: blows up all TU tiles for damage but gain none of the AP

and now we will have strategic command which creates a bunch of random TU tiles. the one thing i'm noticing and i guess slightly concerned about though is that 3 outta 4 of these powers are yellow, so do they want yellow to become the color that focuses on team up related things?
  • FierceKiwi
    If their goal is to promote Team Ups they've made the bewildering decision to also lower their drop rates....it feels more like they've realized Team Ups are pretty bad but they had already designed Carol to play with them.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    If their goal is to promote Team Ups they've made the bewildering decision to also lower their drop rates....it feels more like they've realized Team Ups are pretty bad but they had already designed Carol to play with them.

Well they are certainly more valuable as they are not being dropped as often now. Honestly it's a matter of supply and demand. The more supply, the less value they have. But as they have more limited supply, there is an increased demand for them.
  • FierceKiwi
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    FierceKiwi wrote:

Well they are certainly more valuable as they are not being dropped as often now. Honestly it's a matter of supply and demand. The more supply, the less value they have. But as they have more limited supply, there is an increased demand for them.

Except this instead increases the value of boosts since they're always available and where a better/more consistant crutch to begin with. By making Team Ups scarce they've eliminated the one advantage they had.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    Except this instead increases the value of boosts since they're always available and where a better/more consistant crutch to begin with. By making Team Ups scarce they've eliminated the one advantage they had.

That's kind of what I was saying. TU's didn't seem too valuable when they rained down from the sky after every battle. But now that they are more rare, I've dropped as low as a stock of 10. That's without even using characters like Storm or the upcoming Ms. Marvel who could potentially launch multiple 15+AP TU's per match.

Think about that, with this much AP floating around, it's not out of the question to get off Sniper Rifle 2x in a match.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    FierceKiwi wrote:

It's not that they've decreased the drop rates so to speak, it's that they have added the boosts back in which obviously lowers the drops, but more so because a lot of people were getting upset and not getting boosts anymore.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    It's not that they've decreased the drop rates so to speak, it's that they have added the boosts back in which obviously lowers the drops, but more so because a lot of people were getting upset and not getting boosts anymore.
    I don't understand this explanation. We used to get tu's after every battle. Now, we often get nothing at all. If people were getting boosts every time a tu didn't drop, we'd be happy.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    I don't understand this explanation. We used to get tu's after every battle. Now, we often get nothing at all. If people were getting boosts every time a tu didn't drop, we'd be happy.

If people were just given an infinite number of boosts, they'd be happy too. Boosts are worth more than TUs. Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that a boost is worth 3 TUs. Every match that now yields a boost means two matches should yield nothing, in order to keep the reward rate even.

It's the same logic/budgeting system that means your average reward for a win is about 100 iso. The drop rates for 70 iso, 140 iso, a 1* cover and a 2* cover are averaged so that over time you get 100 iso per win. I assume they've calculated the iso value of boosts and teamups, and now some wins must yield nothing in order to maintain the same average reward rate.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that a boost is worth 3 TUs.
    This is arbitrary to the point of being meaningless. A teamup can be worthless or more valuable than any boost. Trying to pin a relative value to them is a non-starter.