Lightning Rounds, Dec 24 edition

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Because, ya know, there's not enough to do.

Comments

• Are we the only ones on Christmas eve still at work at reading d3 forums? icon_cool.gif
  • Are we the only ones on Christmas eve still at work at reading d3 forums? icon_cool.gif

I'm not at work...
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Because, ya know, there's not enough to do.

I'm a bit afraid to go too hard at these farming iso for fear of getting stuck in crazy matchmaking hell.
  • Okay I've heard that the hood lightning rounds are different but does that mean the MMR is removed? I just faced 3 back to back lvl 1 & 2s. O.o
  • Those are seed teams. You'll see them near the start. I usually make it to 100 off them alone.
  • I wonder if I could get some advice on Lightning Rounds. I've been playing since Day 1, so I have a nice little roster, but I don't think I've been particularly lucky with villain covers. You guys on the forums are smart so maybe you can help me out with some advice.

I'd like to be more competitive in the Lightning Rounds but it feels tough to do that without winning lightning rounds. I'd like some advice on team.

Non-boosted relevant characters:
    5/5/3 IM40 Level 100
    5/5/3 Thor Level 85
    5/3/5 Wolverine Level 70
    3/5/3 Spider-Man Level 70
    2/2/5 Black Widow Grey Suit Level 50

Boosted Relevant characters:
    2/4 Loki Level 30
    1/0/2 Magneto Level 28
    2/1 Rags Level 28
    1/0 Doctor Doom
    0/1/0 Hood

So the IM40 Spidey Whoever-I'm-Given team can beat basically anyone, but it takes forever. Not very lightning.

Thor/Spidey/Whoever can generally do OK, but I'm not using anyone truly boosted.

Any advice for what kind of team I should make? I think my future HP that isn't needed for cover slots will go to Rags, but I'm just not there yet.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but didn't really think this was necessary as its own thread.
  • If you've got a really good Wolverine, I'd do with Rag, Wolv, and Spidey. Boosted, lots of green to make strike tiles, and stuns and protect to help you be a bit more efficient.
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    If you've got a really good Wolverine, I'd do with Rag, Wolv, and Spidey. Boosted, lots of green to make strike tiles, and stuns and protect to help you be a bit more efficient.

Thanks for the reply, but that'd only really help with with Rags' lightning rounds, not all of them. What combination of those would you do with a different lightning round? I like what you're saying though, I've dumped a lot of iso into Wolverine during the Hulk event.
  • cjshrader wrote:
    Kyosokun wrote:
    If you've got a really good Wolverine, I'd do with Rag, Wolv, and Spidey. Boosted, lots of green to make strike tiles, and stuns and protect to help you be a bit more efficient.

Thanks for the reply, but that'd only really help with with Rags' lightning rounds, not all of them. What combination of those would you do with a different lightning round? I like what you're saying though, I've dumped a lot of iso into Wolverine during the Hulk event.

Wolverine and Thor, even in the Ragnarok rounds.
  • Probably Thor and Wolverine. Those strike tiles are very useful, adds a lot of speed. Get enough out, and suddenly you are tossing out 800 point matches every round. Thor of course does his awesome direct damage. It's your best bet for speed. Switch out Wolv or Thor for Spidey early on, when speed isn't as much an issue, so you can keep from getting too damaged, conserve your health packs.

Damn you, Hood Round. Went from 18th to 54th at the last few min ><
  • Thanks so much for the advice, it makes a lot of sense to me. I have something like 80 health packs too so I'm not too concerned about conservation. If I could get some of those top rankings it could really start to snowball from there.
  • cjshrader wrote:
    Thanks so much for the advice, it makes a lot of sense to me. I have something like 80 health packs too so I'm not too concerned about conservation. If I could get some of those top rankings it could really start to snowball from there.

I broke into top 8 Ragnarok rounds a month ago with significantly lower level Thor/Wolverine than you have now, but the competition has gotten tougher since then. The first Ragnarok round is liable to be very competitive. Be wary of pushing your matchmaking rating too high. Lightning rounds can do that in a hurry. If you start seeing high level Ragnaroks everywhere, you are fighting a losing battle.
  • So I've been using the team a bit in this latest lightning round and it can definitely be fast.

The downside is if you go up against any sufficiently leveled Rags (I'm talking the 60s), it can still pretty thoroughly beat you down. Living without stuns is hard, I'm used to a Spidey world but I know he's not fast enough.

I'll keep experimenting though
  • You can't compete against them directly. Even if you can beat them, they will retaliate.
  • Wow pretty huge spike in Wolverine usage hah.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Got a Diabolical off of the doom tourney since my Doom is 5/5, an I'm using it all "Not Doom, not Doom..."

Hood.

Black.

THAT'S NOT FUNNY, RNG
  • I got a purple Loki. I'm clearly on the road to ultimate power.
  • i used to gun for diabolicals but a mountain of loki pulls stopped me from doin that ever again
  • Don't you have like...all of them maxed already?
  • Don't you have like...all of them maxed already?

i meant before i started maxing them

and no, doom and loki still aren't maxed, nor do i plan on maxing them anytime soon

using the LRs to tank as hard as i can because ive been stuck in MMR hell the last 3 weeks (only being matched with 115 rags + 141 spideys, great fun)