*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Options

Comments

• My main issue with the Hulk is that his passive black is counter intuitive. The Higher level your Hulk is, the less prone to anger he becomes.His health per level is quite large, so as he advances in level it takes larger damage hits to trigger his passive making it less and less useful the more iso you sink into him.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My main issue with the Hulk is that his passive black is counter intuitive. The Higher level your Hulk is, the less prone to anger he becomes.His health per level is quite large, so as he advances in level it takes larger damage hits to trigger his passive making it less and less useful the more iso you sink into him.

its not an issue at all, just do the math. max HP is 11475 and 5% of that is 573.75 meaning you still can't use a damage power against him without backlash from anger unless he's been stunned and its still dangerous to put out strike tiles against him because you can easily go over the threshold even with something like judgment. it can even punish attack tiles, sometimes I screw up and forget they can proc anger too if they hit too hard and then comes the pain.

it seems like a problem but its really not, even though the threshold increases on anger some, you're layering more HP onto him that the attacking player has to whittle down before they can think of bursting him down because of anger and that can give the AI more time for a thunderous clap/smash or any other powers flying around.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think some changes can make hulk pretty nice.

At level 5, his green could be: Does 163 damage to the target and destroys 6 tiles plus one for every one Green AP.

For his red, remove the drain on green (and the bonus damage with remaining green). Finally, that 30% damage to allies should become 30% damage to enemies if there are more than 10 green tiles on the board. Maybe keep some % (less than 30) dealt to allies to keep the theme of collateral damage.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know this is controversial, but dammit, Hulk Smash is my favorite ability in the game.

I'm one-shotting 13K health Hulks with Smash and thinking: "This is what this game is about!"

In the last game, I accidentally miscounted the number of greens on the board and in one shot, Smash took down the full health enemy Hulk and both my full health support characters. That's what I get for letting the Hulk get too Angry! I love Smash even more now!

This is really what this game is about. Imagining these characters and playing them in a way that feels true.

Edit: I just realized there is an AP cap at 30, which means that Smash is capped at about 13K damage with full green AP. I'm so sad right now.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    I think Hulk is one of the better designed champions in the game. He's fun, and fits the actual hero. Honestly, Hulk smash fell behind in power creep, but the overall design of the champ is great.
  • I am SICK and tired of this Hulk issue. Why is it that my Hulk takes over 4k damage and does not generate not ONE damn critical tile yet, when I damage the AI's Hulk for just over 1k he's generating at least 2 of them??? Pardon my language but this is just ****!!! I am so tired of Hulk being so damn worthless. He does nothing but take damage and his black passive doesn't even work the way it should. There's something wrong with this if dumbass 2* Widow can do THAT much damage and Hulk just sits there and takes it all doing ****!!! You guys need to fix this NOW!!!
  • Have you considered that the 4k might have been from cascades?
  • Was the 4k from one shot? Or if multiple, at least one worth 5% of his HP?
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WTH IS UP WITH OP?

Did you really need to open FOUR threads?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19509&p=253992#p253992
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19510&p=253993#p253993
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19511&p=253994#p253994
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19512&p=253995#p253995

It's ALWAYS 5%.
      Anger - Black PASSIVE
      The Hulk is angry! When damaged for over 5% of his health, a random basic Black tile becomes a 1 turn Countdown that changes 1 basic tile(s) to Green.
        Level 2: Increases Green tiles created to 2. Level 3: Increases Green tiles created to 3. Level 4: Increases Green tiles created to 4. Level 5: Increases Green tiles created to 5, damages allies for 20 and enemies for 39.
      Max Level: Damages allies for 87 and enemies for 174 when Hulk takes 574 damage.
    • It doesn't matter if it's from cascades. When I'm going up against the AI and it's Hulk, cascade or not, especially cascades, he lays out multiple critical tiles. But, when I'm using him he seems to not do a damn thing. He's friggen useless! This also happens when it's just a one shot ability. When it's the AI and I get damaged for like 1k nothing. But, if I hit Hulk and it's only up to 800, hello critical tile. This needs to be fixed!!!
    • MojoWild
      MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
      Options
      Critical tiles are only created when five green match, so there's either a lot of anger tiles or green tiles already there or both.
      What level is your black? At level one, one anger only creates one green tile. Higher levels create more green which will match to create critical tiles.
      What level of hulk are you fighting? 5% of a level 60 is less than 5% of a level 166.
      Check your match damage. If each individual match is enough to create an anger tile, a cascade is going to be bad news. Conversely, one big hit is only going to create one.
    • MojoWild
      MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
      Options
      And if by critical tile you mean anger tile, it helps to avoid confusion by calling them anger tiles.
    • grapez
      grapez Posts: 50
      Options
      Hi Guys,

I got pretty lucky with some hulk covers and have a 5/0/5. I was pretty thrilled because he seems to be a good character according to a lot of the opinions of people on this forum. As you know, he is the current featured pvp hero. I've been trying to test him out more, on defense and offense and I must say I find him lacking a little. Obviously his green skill combined with his black can cause some crazy cascades, but sometimes, i feel like it does nothing. When I'm fighting a high leveled hulk, I simply have OBW continuously steal their ap and if I can kill his two other teammates, hulk is such a joke i feel like. even though 10 k life is intimidating, all you do is take his greens and reds, steal his ap when you can, and you just save up 5-6 of your skills and you combo him and he goes down without 1 anger going off. i mean it is a little scary, cause as I begin to combo him down, its kinda crazy cause ill see like 10 angers, ready to pop, but you just bust out a calculator and make sure your 5-6 skills kill him. not only that, my roster is no where as scary as some of these top players. Im using a 95 hulk, 94 ares/lazythor, and 85 OBW. with this mediocre team of 2*-3* heroes, im able to take down the supposedly scariest defense hero with little trouble. What exactly makes him so good? Is he only good against certain characters like psylocke that do bursts of repeated dmg so multiple angers are able trigger? Or is it just simply his high hp that makes him the best defense character?

My other inquiry was whether i should keep his red at 0 levels. I cant tell if it's a good skill or not. I may team him with deadpool if I ever get more covers so I want the computer to consistently use deadpools red so should i keep hulks red at 0? I know I wont be able to max hulks level out but im ok with that. I dont like the sound of that do 30% of damage to own team.

Thanks!!
    • His red is really not great, so having him as 5/0/5 might actually make him better on defence. His red is pretty bad and you probably always want the AI to cast any other red skill.

What is the level cap for that build tho? As hulks Health is one of his best features.
    • MarvelMan
      MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
      Options
      As said above, that isnt really hurting you. And sometimes not maxing hulk can be a good thing. You want him as low level as possible while tanking the colors you want, due to Anger being percentage based.
    • emaker27
      emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      For a while, I ran Hulk and Black Panther together. With the high health and threats from other teammates, he just has a chance to outlast the enemy team. I also started getting more skips due to all the health probably, since there are easier and faster to defeat teams. On his own, Hulk isn't that scary, but teamed with good members, he is decent. And serves as a nice meat shield so you only have to heal one person with health packs. And his red is situational but can come in handy if another character has been downed.
    • Quebbster
      Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Hulk is a bit of a finesse piece as you need to give him the right teammates to shine. Some of my favorites:
      * Thor - two high health characters are better than one, and Thor can use the green AP from Hulk's Anger.
      * Daken - strike tiles add to Anger damage, and getting them automatically is nice.
      * Human Torch - same principle as Thor
      * Patch and Loki - Berserker Rage + Trickery. Hulk is a meatshield for Loki.
    • Hulk WAS good, before Thor, Sentry, and X-Force chiped away at his "High health medium offense" niche. Now he's not that scary even at 249 on defense. It is possible to mess up a Hulk attack, get 7 Anger tiles out, and have him ruin your day, but if you are any good at Anger Management you will do fine against Hulks.
      I must say I find him lacking a little. Obviously his green skill combined with his black can cause some crazy cascades, but sometimes, i feel like it does nothing.
      Pretty much this. I don't even consider him a top 10 hero anymore, although the current rankings disagree with me. I think a lot of that is remembering how good he use to be. When 8500 was as close as you could come to his massive health he had an edge. Now that 10,200 health characters exist, with much better offense, Hulks edge has slimmed. When you say 94 Ares/lazythor do you mean 3* Thor or a maxed 2* Thor? If you are rollin in the 2* land, maxing out that 5/0/5 and running Hulk/Ares(or Thor)/OBW should allow you to place for covers in PvP, and build your roster. Hulk tanks and sometimes Angers to feed Ares, and OBW steals AP to feed Ares, and then Ares Murderface Murderface Murderface does what he does so you can win.

Technically speaking, a lower level Hulk has a small advantage of becoming Angry more easily, because of lower max health. The 249 hulks I was fighting didn't even get phased by WR+Sacrifice explosions, so I smacked them around with impunity. Still, I would get the 3 Red eventually and put him at 166. Your first 166 goes a long way to bridging into 3* land.
    • Hulk is good. Sure, his red is abysmal and his green is mediocre, but look at it this way. At 13000 health, killing him all at once or by a thousand cuts is a pain. A huge pain. You're going to be eating a few of those thunderous claps no matter what. Make the mistake of putting out too many strike or attack tiles, and you're going to be eating gonorrhea every turn or two. Plus, he's a downright nasty deterrent to sentry bombing, because if you can't kill him with it, you're going to eat an average of 10-12 anger tiles next turn, he's gonna get 30 AP and do massive damage with cascades and matching, and you're gonna eat a massive clap.

Also, if your opponent throws out Patch's Berserker Rage and your hulk is out front and lives through it, he's going to suffer. A lot. Immediately (team damage + 1k strike tiles = pain).
    • Plus, he's a downright nasty deterrent to sentry bombing, because if you can't kill him with it, you're going to eat an average of 10-12 anger tiles next turn, he's gonna get 30 AP and do massive damage with cascades and matching, and you're gonna eat a massive clap.
      Lerysh wrote:
      . The 249 hulks I was fighting didn't even get phased by WR+Sacrifice explosions, so I smacked them around with impunity. Still, I would get the 3 Red eventually and put him at 166. Your first 166 goes a long way to bridging into 3* land.

No anger tiles from Sentry when facing 249 Hulks. Of Course, WR+Sacrifice doesn't actually KILL a boosted Hulk, but still, no Anger. Since Anger gets much harder to use the higher level Hulk gets, when he's boosted he's much more Zen.