*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• Toxicadam wrote:
    Hulk isn't 'very lethal'. He's a big pillow that poops out green. You just need to accompany him with someone that can take advantage of that green.

... I like green poopcorn...

it's always fun to end the session with Patch / Hulk / Punisher. Bring the rain, baby, and everyone dies...
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    5-3-5 Patch/5 black Hulk/Lazy Thor with Hulk in the leader/center position.

my ultimate quick strike team, if I need a quick win (end of tourney, shield expiring, shield hopping, etc...) this is my go to team. Get 9 green for Patch (go in with 6 if you really need to be in and out quickly, put Hulk out front, let him get angry and watch all the fun. After all the cascades and anger countdowns go off the enemy team will be significantly damaged. And chances are you'll have enough green for Thor at that point.

Nothing special power-wise on defense but nice high total hp, except Wolvie only tanks purple, but at least his healing would be annoying.

It's just for those special situations so I don't care about the health pack usage.
    I'm curious, what about Anger erasing your own strike tiles? Does it happen often?
  • locked wrote:
    5-3-5 Patch/5 black Hulk/Lazy Thor with Hulk in the leader/center position.

my ultimate quick strike team, if I need a quick win (end of tourney, shield expiring, shield hopping, etc...) this is my go to team. Get 9 green for Patch (go in with 6 if you really need to be in and out quickly, put Hulk out front, let him get angry and watch all the fun. After all the cascades and anger countdowns go off the enemy team will be significantly damaged. And chances are you'll have enough green for Thor at that point.

Nothing special power-wise on defense but nice high total hp, except Wolvie only tanks purple, but at least his healing would be annoying.

It's just for those special situations so I don't care about the health pack usage.
    I'm curious, what about Anger erasing your own strike tiles? Does it happen often?

Yeah definitely, but usually not all of them at once so you still have some (at least one or two) contributing to anger damage. But the best thing is if that does happen then you almost always immediately have enough green again for Patch and quite often for Thor as well. If Hulk can take some more abuse go for it with more strikes. Otherwise have Thor make it rain.
  • I see Hulk nowadays and I just don't fear him as much as I used to when I had a 2-star roster. Is Spider-Man keeping him in check or is there more to it??
  • He has lots of counters. Spidey obviously. Any1 who can stun him for 1 turn let's you nail him.
    Magneto pink
    Patch red

And if you don't have any of that you just save him for last and he barely dies damage. He's mainly just hp.
    IMO ragnarok > hulk
  • He has lots of counters. Spidey obviously. Any1 who can stun him for 1 turn let's you nail him.
    Magneto pink
    Patch red

And if you don't have any of that you just save him for last and he barely dies damage. He's mainly just hp.
    IMO ragnarok > hulk

IMO ragnarok<hulk daken
  • Hulk is like how Classic Storm was. You keep chipping away in small amounts until you save up enough AP to blast her/him in one turn.
  • I certainly think twice before fighting a team with a maxed Hulk.
    I don't have a usable Spiderman, and I tend to use a lot of strike tiles. One poorly timed cascade with strike tiles out can turn the whole board green.
    He's certainly beatable, but the fights take longer, and time=money... or iso, or something like that.
  • Hulk might be viable in a rotation of Lazy Thor, gold daken, and hulk.
  • If I see a high level Hulk I always bring Punisher (99 3/5/5) with me. Since the other regular in the team is Ares he can easily deal 4-5k damage in a turn and Punisher will finish him. So to answer your question, no he doesn't frighten me. However if I can avoid him, especially during a tournament and he is either buffed or maxed, I will skip him if he is worth less then 30 points. No reason to take unnecessary risks for 10-20 ISO.
  • Never scary, just a time sink if you don't get a dominant board. I run mag punisher x usually, spidey if I am lowish on health, so hulk is not very scary for me personally. Regardless, he can consume more time and hp than a lot of other characters so I dovtend to ignore them if the points aren't up to snuff. Of course, a lvl 100 is NOT the same thing as a lvl 141. Hulls around thee do.t have enough hp to be even scary via luck imo and so at that point its just about time cost analysis based on the rest of the team....something I noticed that most team running non-maxed hulk tend to run something like obw thor or mid lvl 3***. That is to say, ppl don't use hulk until he is a very high lvl usually. Afterall, is main benefit is the high health and his black....where the black requires him to have decently high health otherwise its too easy to 1 shot him.
  • He's not scary, I'd describe him to be more of a tedious opponent. As others already mentioned he might take some precious time to take out. So in PvP tourneys I sometimes do feel the urge to skip high level Hulk if I'm in a hurry (1 hour or less left to countdown). If I have time then bring it on: my Punisher can take him down eventually thanks to 40% Retribution skill. icon_twisted.gif
  • Not sure why people ever feared Hulk.

Back when Wolverine wasn't nerfed you can generally just kill him in one turn by pumping 6 Feral Claws, and if that doesn't do the trick, you can always have Thor throw in some red/yellow for cascades. In fact the only way you've a hard time against Hulk is if you kill the other side too fast such that you have a few strike tiles up (enough to trigger Anger) but not enough AP to finish him off, but that's obviously a first-world problem. After the Wolverine/Thor nerf, there's probably enough time for people to get Spiderman/Punisher, and both are quite good against Hulk. Patch can also go through his health in one turn without even any particularly cheesy tricks.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Not sure why people ever feared Hulk.

Back when Wolverine wasn't nerfed you can generally just kill him in one turn by pumping 6 Feral Claws, and if that doesn't do the trick, you can always have Thor throw in some red/yellow for cascades. In fact the only way you've a hard time against Hulk is if you kill the other side too fast such that you have a few strike tiles up (enough to trigger Anger) but not enough AP to finish him off, but that's obviously a first-world problem. After the Wolverine/Thor nerf, there's probably enough time for people to get Spiderman/Punisher, and both are quite good against Hulk. Patch can also go through his health in one turn without even any particularly cheesy tricks.

I wouldn't call that killing the other side too fast a first world problem as much as it is forcing the opponent to play more cautiously/slower to get around the Hulk's anger. I'd call forcing your opponent to hold their strike tile ability due to the existence of the Hulk a pretty big win as that slows down the game and makes it take even longer to kill the opposing team. Hm... I think I just convinced myself to try the Hood + Hulk as a defensive combo: that team might be really good against strike tile users as they are pressured to kill quickly due to the hood so they'll place down strike tiles earlier, but then risk getting hulk angered by doing so.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really 'fear' anyone. No one is all-powerful, and anyone can be countered. The Hulk has his benefits and his drawbacks. I find that I have use for him quite a bit, and when he's on my team I typically see a lot less attacks on defense. Should he be feared? No. But he should be respected.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Not sure why people ever feared Hulk.

I wouldn't call that killing the other side too fast a first world problem as much as it is forcing the opponent to play more cautiously/slower to get around the Hulk's anger. I'd call forcing your opponent to hold their strike tile ability due to the existence of the Hulk a pretty big win as that slows down the game and makes it take even longer to kill the opposing team. Hm... I think I just convinced myself to try the Hood + Hulk as a defensive combo: that team might be really good against strike tile users as they are pressured to kill quickly due to the hood so they'll place down strike tiles earlier, but then risk getting hulk angered by doing so.

Back then if you have like 9g 12r you can kill Hulk in one turn and that was when everyone started the fight with 6 red 6 green 6 yellow because boosts were cheap. The only problem is if you accidnetally killed the other 2 guys in the first 3 turns you might not have time to make the 2 red and 1 green match you need. With 3 Feral Claws's worth of strike tiles on board at 12r plus 2 Mjolinars, nobody's going to survive that and you have a high probabilty of cascading into a Thunder Strike for overkill.

Hulk is pretty much just a free kill to any decent team. Maybe he keeps the weaker players intimidated, but someone who is intimidated by Hulk must be bad enough at this game that you can actually think about winning on defense.
  • Just too many one turn kill guys that can chew thru 10k hp.
    Personally for me its patch rage then free matches with c.mags x 4 or 5.
    If your not pressed for time bti or mt works better, but you can't do a turn 3 kill with boosts if you need 10-14 of a single ap.
    Mabey when c. Mags and spidey nerf go thru, he'll stand more of a chance. Currently he only cascades with anger on offence, or the opponent made a big mistake.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    I don't think its a matter of fear as much as deterrent. You know you can beat any team you see, you just weigh whether or not you will need a health pack when you are done, or if the fight will be a pain in the but to win or not. Everyone can be beat with strategy, but people think of teams that are going to be more trouble than they are worth to take out. The hulk still has the most HP of any toon and the Anger hurts, maybe hurts enough that you will need a heal after you are done. The fact that you have to pause and decide if it is worth it rather than taking out a 3 glass cannon team quickly means he is doing his job icon_e_smile.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    I don't really 'fear' anyone. No one is all-powerful, and anyone can be countered. The Hulk has his benefits and his drawbacks. I find that I have use for him quite a bit, and when he's on my team I typically see a lot less attacks on defense. Should he be feared? No. But he should be respected.

I fear C Magneto. And that's more be ause he is Lord of the cascades and annoyingly long animations than his actual direct damaging abilities.
  • I really don't see this deterrent other than wishful thinking. Do people really think OBW + The Hood is easier to handle than BP + Hulk? The latter has twice the HPs, and I didn't purposely pick some weak characters with a lot of HP too, but as long as you're watching your black, the latter is generally a lot easier to handle than the former. People who can field a high level Hulk should be expected to be exposed to all kinds of one turn kill insanity out there. The difference between Hulk and The Hood's HP to someone like Patch is one to two turns. You're not going to pass up someone that takes 2 turns longer to kill and fight someone who actually has a good chance of stopping your moves.