*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Options

Comments

• user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Look at hulk, look at skip; look at hulk, look at skip.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    What if that Lvl 141 Hulk has a Lvl 85 OBW and a Lvl 100 Patch. Does that change your mind?

Nah, then Spidey brings Hulk too. In a vacuum Patch is my favorite 'enemy'.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So what seems to be an optimal level to utilize his anger? 100ish?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bugpop wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Is it me or just the way the Simulator event went, but is the Hulk a little OP? More specifically his black? Don't get me wrong, I think damage output and mechanics are spot on, but the number of green tiles black can generate seems a bit high?

I have yet to see Hulk being OP with his black. But I can see how it might happen. Against level 141 opponents against a hulk who's just weak enough that 200 damage is enough to activate his black ability. He'd have to have around 3500-4000 HP so he's going to be somewhat low in level.

Somehow my hulk always tosses his black countdown tiles in places it can quickly be made into a match-3 black for the Enemy Punisher.

Well, Hulk stops AoE, because if you aren't targeting him but use an AoE ability, you could trigger Anger, also OBW and her double damage trigger 2 Hulk Anger Tiles a lot of the time, Hulk is a good counter to that little gal.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Is it me or just the way the Simulator event went, but is the Hulk a little OP? More specifically his black? Don't get me wrong, I think damage output and mechanics are spot on, but the number of green tiles black can generate seems a bit high?

I have yet to see Hulk being OP with his black. But I can see how it might happen. Against level 141 opponents against a hulk who's just weak enough that 200 damage is enough to activate his black ability. He'd have to have around 3500-4000 HP so he's going to be somewhat low in level.

Somehow my hulk always tosses his black countdown tiles in places it can quickly be made into a match-3 black for the Enemy Punisher.

Well, Hulk stops AoE, because if you aren't targeting him but use an AoE ability, you could trigger Anger, also OBW and her double damage trigger 2 Hulk Anger Tiles a lot of the time, Hulk is a good counter to that little gal.

You can also trigger it by letting the enemy hurt him with attack tiles, or casting strike tiles and letting him take the damage. I would hit my own hulk if i could! once Spidey gets nerfed he will go back to being amazing.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Me: Hulk, we need to find you some allies. Any ideas?

Hulk: Hulk don't need puny allies, Hulk strongest one there is.

Me: Yeah, but Hulk, it's a scary world out there. You can't do it all alone. I mean, there's a 3* God of Thunder running around now, not to mention classic Magneto and
    that Patch guy.

Hulk: Puny Patch don't scare Hulk.

Me: *sigh* Well, what about Psylocke. Can you work with Psylocke? I've got her at level 120.

Hulk: Hulk think purple-hair lady pretty.

Me: I'm not really concerned about how she looks, Hulk. Marvel Puzzle Quest isn't a beauty contest.

Hulk: HULK LIKE PURPLE!!!

Me: Okay, okay... calm down. It makes me nervy when you get so angry. Let's see, Psylocke and... how about Spider-Man? We'd have all the colors covered for match damage and a use for all AP except purple. What do you think of that?

Hulk: HULK LIKE PURPLE!!!

Me: I know you do, big guy, I know. I'm not sure why the developers didn't make your passive purple instead of black.

Hulk: *snort* Puny developers.

Anyone else think Hulk/Psylocke/Spider-Man could work as a good team? Basically I've just recently maxed my first 3* guy at level 141 - the Hulk - and I'm contemplating some good teammates for him. Any suggestions are welcome!
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    It's because his pants are black, if he was wearing his classic purpble than his passive would of been purple.
  • How about Black panther + classic mags.
    you cover the rainbow pairing hulk with those 2, plus BP can tank and you got 2 nukes with them.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Jeremychen wrote:
    How about Black panther + classic mags.
    you cover the rainbow pairing hulk with those 2, plus BP can tank and you got 2 nukes with them.

I like it.

I have a lvl 90 Classic Mags and a lvl 20 BP, I think at 3/3/3. What's the other Nuke other than Mags purple? And is 5/3/5 the way to go on BP?
  • that is a good team i suppose personally i would stick patch in there for the backstabbs so that hulk gets pissed
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Oh damn I never noticed how nasty BP's black is... that'll teach me to pay attention.
  • Hulk is incredibly hard to pair up with other 3*'s mainly because of the lack of purple/X color combinations. During the second bracket of the Simulator event, and the prominent use I was making of my level 100 Doctor Doom, it got me to thinking who would pair up well with Victor that lets him have all the blue and black. Answer? Hulk. Leaves purple and yellow left to put together, which - oh right we don't have any purple/yellow combinations. We have a yellow/red/green in Lazythor, which just leaves purple, so you'd obviously pick Magneto - oh wait, we want Doctor Doom having all the blue and black! Nobody else allowed.

Then I was reviewing my roster after getting a 4th BP black cover and realized I will never use Doctor Doom over Black Panther unless he's buffed (once both are on equal level, anyway), given BP uses blue, black, and yellow, compared to Vic's narrow minded focus.

...I got really off topic but tl;dr Hulk sucks, hard to pair up with other people given he has the worst red and green amongst any other options in 3* territory (discounting Ragnarok). Patch and Punisher puke out strike tiles with their green, while GSBW straight up murders teams while powering into that green with her purple. Hulk is just a lazy deterrent against bad teams, and given Punisher's ability to execute at 40%, and Patch (with 5 red) hitting for 3-5k in the right team comp (IM40 + Patch + Loki/Punisher comes to mind) will just obliterate people at the same level trying to use Hulk. He has some gimmicky ability with Patch's green in order to proc Anger, and in turn amplify how much damage Anger does to both teams, but.. again, self destructive gimmick.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Kamahl_FoK wrote:
    Hulk sucks, hard to pair up with other people given he has the worst red and green amongst any other options in 3* territory (discounting Ragnarok).

I don't know, I think you're discounting Hulk's green. The trick with Hulk is to try and keep him out front as much as possible and take some hits. I've had his black passive (maxed at 5) fill the board with enough green to generate cascades. Then he pulls off his green ability and triggers more cascades. I often can pull his green off twice in the same turn after he takes some damage and gets angry, which is also very useful for clearing out those annoying strike and counter tiles.

I'm definitely going to pair him with BP as Jeremychen suggested, and looking at my roster I'm thinking I'll rotate a 3rd person between c.mags/Spidey/OBW.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't really see too much of a point to using Hulk on offense: his main strength is trggering anger, but if you trigger anger then you're taking damage, which isn't good when the main focus of the game is on efficiency and winning while minimizing life loss. The only time ive used him is in PvE matches v Daken/Patch+goons where I can reliably trigger anger. Red/green are pretty mediocre and thus won't really be used. For a defensive team, I think Hulk/BP/LazyThor is one of the best ones out there, so that probably works on offense as well.
    Kamahl_FoK wrote:
    Hulk is incredibly hard to pair up with other 3*'s mainly because of the lack of purple/X color combinations. During the second bracket of the Simulator event, and the prominent use I was making of my level 100 Doctor Doom, it got me to thinking who would pair up well with Victor that lets him have all the blue and black. Answer? Hulk. Leaves purple and yellow left to put together, which - oh right we don't have any purple/yellow combinations. We have a yellow/red/green in Lazythor, which just leaves purple, so you'd obviously pick Magneto - oh wait, we want Doctor Doom having all the blue and black! Nobody else allowed.

Then I was reviewing my roster after getting a 4th BP black cover and realized I will never use Doctor Doom over Black Panther unless he's buffed (once both are on equal level, anyway), given BP uses blue, black, and yellow, compared to Vic's narrow minded focus.

...I got really off topic but tl;dr Hulk sucks, hard to pair up with other people given he has the worst red and green amongst any other options in 3* territory (discounting Ragnarok). Patch and Punisher puke out strike tiles with their green, while GSBW straight up murders teams while powering into that green with her purple. Hulk is just a lazy deterrent against bad teams, and given Punisher's ability to execute at 40%, and Patch (with 5 red) hitting for 3-5k in the right team comp (IM40 + Patch + Loki/Punisher comes to mind) will just obliterate people at the same level trying to use Hulk. He has some gimmicky ability with Patch's green in order to proc Anger, and in turn amplify how much damage Anger does to both teams, but.. again, self destructive gimmick.

If you can get to the point where you kill hulk with punisher/patch, then you either have whittled down his health with low damaging tile match damages, or have built up enough AP to do so, which can take a while. This means that Hulk already did his job of slowing down the opponent in PvP, giving you more time to win your matches. Add in how he's a pretty strong scarecrow and results in less attacks, and its easy to see his value on defense.
  • If you can get to the point where you kill hulk with punisher/patch, then you either have whittled down his health with low damaging tile match damages, or have built up enough AP to do so, which can take a while. This means that Hulk already did his job of slowing down the opponent in PvP, giving you more time to win your matches. Add in how he's a pretty strong scarecrow and results in less attacks, and its easy to see his value on defense.

I typed out a long thing but then realized it maybe takes 4-6 actual turns to do enough damage to get Hulk into range of, say, Patch's green followed by Punisher's red, while also collecting the AP for such a maneuver. Or you can slap him with a stun, which, as we get more, he will become less and less useful. Given how Hulk is a complete joke if he's not triggering Anger, there's no time wasted just slapping one match of what you want after another, before going Zerker Rage -> Molotov -> Boom headshot. Other team comps can do similar things, but just giving an example of what I'm most familiar with doing on a semi-regular basis (haven't actually seen a Hulk on defense in a while, and probably won't given how Thor puts him to shame).
  • It's cause when unbuffed he doesn't get out of one shot range on defense, I've personally had when pairing a OBW patch team, taken him out in 1 shot with BTI after gathering the reds needed without strike tiles then rage and double tapped the other 2 away. The problem is that on offence, his options plain suck.
    Before that he was the only real 3 star tank, meaning higher then 5800 hp.
    Now there's Lazy thor, BP and they both have better nukes then hulk.
    Then unexpectedly people still go after him since his passive doesn't trigger during stun, so you have 2 star teams being able to bring him down with c.storm as well.
    Finding it hard to justify the iso needed to max him with so many strikes against him and especially since the metagame is all about offence now as any team can be taken down with spidey in retaliation.
    This slows them down tho, so I personally opt for patch, c.mags and featured guy. Rage+blue matches to kill asap.
  • 5-3-5 Patch/5 black Hulk/Lazy Thor with Hulk in the leader/center position.

my ultimate quick strike team, if I need a quick win (end of tourney, shield expiring, shield hopping, etc...) this is my go to team. Get 9 green for Patch (go in with 6 if you really need to be in and out quickly, put Hulk out front, let him get angry and watch all the fun. After all the cascades and anger countdowns go off the enemy team will be significantly damaged. And chances are you'll have enough green for Thor at that point.

Nothing special power-wise on defense but nice high total hp, except Wolvie only tanks purple, but at least his healing would be annoying.

It's just for those special situations so I don't care about the health pack usage.
  • PATCH/HULK/HOOD is fun.or spidey/hulk/hood. no damage team ^^
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Hulk is very, very lethal, but you have to design around him, he is one of those characters that you just can't slap together a team. Hulk needs to be at the forefront and he needs to be taking damage, he also needs to be paired with people that can absorb his Anger damage. Also, Hulk's green a a little lackluster compared to other characters so if you use Hulk as a meat shield and backup damage and a green battery you are going to be happy. So who do you pair him with. Well Patch works well, he can absorb Hulk's Anger damage and all the green that triggers allows you to cast Berserker Rage sooner. In addition those enemy strike tiles will just make hulk angier. Hulk also tanks red and green for Wolvie witch is good and bad, good if you went 5/3/5 Patch, bad if you went 3/5/5.

He goes great with Daken, almost too great.

Right now however, i'm liking him with LazyThor and Psylocke. You can match Green and Black with Hulk, and if you position right Thor will take red as well as yellow leaving purple and blue for Psylocke, which you don't need so Psylocke's goal is to cast red and black whenever she can, Hulk eats damage creating green for Thor to Call of the Storm the rest of the team.

If we can ever get a blue, black, purple champ with activated abilites in those colors then you'll be cooking.
  • Hulk isn't 'very lethal'. He's a big pillow that poops out green. You just need to accompany him with someone that can take advantage of that green.