Venom Heroic - Aug 29 - Sep 1

Options

Comments

• The rubberband on this event is way too high. The final hour of this even is going to be insane.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Stupid question I guess, but why is there even such a thing as rubberbanding? Seems a bit perverse to essentially punish the grinders
  • y2fitzy wrote:
    Stupid question I guess, but why is there even such a thing as rubberbanding? Seems a bit perverse to essentially punish the grinders
    Rubberbanding in this form is garbage. Weaker rubberbanding is generally ok as it allows more casual players to still compete for say top 100.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think this is people's punishment for complaining about the weak rb in the last two pvps
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options
    PPPlaya wrote:
    y2fitzy wrote:
    Rubberbanding in this form is garbage. Weaker rubberbanding is generally ok as it allows more casual players to still compete for say top 100.

if I was to defend d3 I would say they are still testing the extremes of rubberbanding (this event) and non-rubberbanding (last PvE) and trying to find balance.

but if I was against d3 I would say they are doing this on purpose to drive sales because of a new character, everyone one new or veteran will want and they keep basically everyone competitive right until the last hr where alot will / decide to start spending massive health packs and boost just to stay in the top tier.

nothing is more deflating then to realize you have no chance and so you play casually and backout, but when you know you have a shot you will try to push and when you realize you are 1 health pack or 1 node away from sneaking in the top 10 you will gladly pay only to find out 2 minutes later, your back in the same spot and so it continues...
    simonsez wrote:
    I think this is people's punishment for complaining about the weak rb in the last two pvps

yeah no kidding, I really like the weak to non-rubberbanding style PvE, simply, reward those who can spend the most time period. Time is where everyone has regardless how deep your pocket runs.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Sumilea wrote:
    I would think if you want to try and tank the last nodes down you do it while attacking the last nodes.
    No, because supposedly the way it works is that if you lose to a trivial node enough, your personal scaling will go down, but if you lose to a Hard node it won't, because you're supposed to be losing to those...
  • simonsez
    Options
    silverrex wrote:
    nothing is more deflating then to realize you have no chance and so you play casually
    I don't know, I find it pretty deflating knowing that in a 96 hour event, no matter how much we all play in the first 94 hours, everyone's going to have pretty much the same score, and it all comes down to who can play the fastest during the last 2 hours.
  • y2fitzy
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    silverrex wrote:
    nothing is more deflating then to realize you have no chance and so you play casually
    I don't know, I find it pretty deflating knowing that in a 96 hour event, no matter how much we all play in the first 94 hours, everyone's going to have pretty much the same score, and it all comes down to who can play the fastest during the last 2 hours.

Basically this. I enjoyed the Hulk event (even though it went on forever) because I was rewarded for the time I put in. Sitting in 70th in my bracket now, but seems it's inevitable I'll miss out on top 150 unless I get up in the middle of the night
  • silverrex wrote:
    PPPlaya wrote:
    y2fitzy wrote:

if I was to defend d3 I would say they are still testing the extremes of rubberbanding (this event) and non-rubberbanding (last PvE) and trying to find balance.

but if I was against d3 I would say they are doing this on purpose to drive sales because of a new character, everyone one new or veteran will want and they keep basically everyone competitive right until the last hr where alot will / decide to start spending massive health packs and boost just to stay in the top tier.

nothing is more deflating then to realize you have no chance and so you play casually and backout, but when you know you have a shot you will try to push and when you realize you are 1 health pack or 1 node away from sneaking in the top 10 you will gladly pay only to find out 2 minutes later, your back in the same spot and so it continues...
    simonsez wrote:

yeah no kidding, I really like the weak to non-rubberbanding style PvE, simply, reward those who can spend the most time period. Time is where everyone has regardless how deep your pocket runs.

It's actually pretty simple. The less sub's and the longer the event, usually the rb and scaling are higher.
  • many people are complaining about the time it finishes, I do not know why they cant adopt a time scale where if you enter 12 hrs later after the start of an event, it will finish 12 hrs later as well. Of course you should not be able to delay the end time of an event by more than 12 hrs max. just put a cap to how many hours you can extend by simply waiting out to enter.
  • Can we rename this event "The 20 ISO REWARD"?

It's freaking ridiculous.
  • About an hour ago I started playing the event. Was bit worried when I saw that the leader of the bracket had about 43000, top ten over 30000 points. But first round of nodes (and I didnt even complete the last one, all my heroes and healthpacks dead and used) made me over 15000 points, so maybe I will get a beast cover. Well, only If I stay awake about to 6am... Or put my alarm waking me every couple hours. Huh.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Have to echo how silly this event is. These "doesn't matter until 1 hr left" events are for the birds. Pardon my french.
  • Have to echo how silly this event is. These "doesn't matter until 1 hr left" events are for the birds. Pardon my french.

This event isn't like a lot of the recent one where you already have no chance of winning by day 2 but if you actually tried to do what you get claimed you'd get unbelievably burned unless you mean you try to join with only 1 hour left. In that case you've a small chance of being placed in a new bracket, or otherwise you'd still be burned.

From my estimation the distance between you and the overall leader halves after each cycle if you were able to do every mission on that cycle. So if you started out at #100, after 12 hours you'd be around #3 or #4 at the end. Good luck beating those level 200 guys even a couple times, let alone every time for 5 cycles.
  • Phantron wrote:
    From my estimation the distance between you and the overall leader halves after each cycle if you were able to do every mission on that cycle. So if you started out at #100, after 12 hours you'd be around #3 or #4 at the end. Good luck beating those level 200 guys even a couple times, let alone every time for 5 cycles.
    Except you don't have to hit the hardest nodes to catch up. I was in 800something place yesterday. I started hitting the essentials and a few others, few times yesterday, more aggressively today. Now I'm 1500 points out of the top 10 without touching the right side of the map and in position to blitz the end. I'll go after the heavy hitters for the last push, and I've got a stockpile of health packs from rewards. Gonna be a "fun" finish for sure.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Except you don't have to hit the hardest nodes to catch up. I was in 800something place yesterday. I started hitting the essentials and a few others, few times yesterday, more aggressively today. Now I'm 1500 points out of the top 10 without touching the right side of the map and in position to blitz the end. I'll go after the heavy hitters for the last push, and I've got a stockpile of health packs from rewards. Gonna be a "fun" finish for sure.

1500 points behind is a ton of points to be behind when you're in the last cycle and everything's only going to be worth 300 points max and that's the nodes on the right side of the map. You'd have to do every node twice while the leader is doing nothing to make that up, and it's hard beating every node even once without running out of health packs at this point. Sure you can hit the left side + essentials quite easily, but the right side is going to hurt, a lot.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    1500 points behind is a ton of points to be behind when you're in the last cycle and everything's only going to be worth 300 points max and that's the nodes on the right side of the map. You'd have to do every node twice while the leader is doing nothing to make that up, and it's hard beating every node even once without running out of health packs at this point. Sure you can hit the left side + essentials quite easily, but the right side is going to hurt, a lot.
    Except it's not the last cycle yet, is it? I've got two more clears before the last one. My point was you don't have to hit the hard nodes when you're way back rubberbanding up. You can get your value from the easier nodes because even they're giving you tons of value. Eventually you're going to have to hit the hard ones, but it need not be until down the stretch.
  • Not sure if its scaling or rubberbanding, but i was first almost the whole time and now im 4th.. Help me understand cuz because i keep playing the nodes yet continue to fall
  • y2fitzy
    Options
    Going to bed on 52361, in 23rd place in my bracket. Please be enough for a beast. Pray for me my friends!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Have to echo how silly this event is. These "doesn't matter until 1 hr left" events are for the birds. Pardon my french.

This event isn't like a lot of the recent one where you already have no chance of winning by day 2 but if you actually tried to do what you get claimed you'd get unbelievably burned unless you mean you try to join with only 1 hour left. In that case you've a small chance of being placed in a new bracket, or otherwise you'd still be burned.

I know it's different. That's kinda the point.

Getting out to a lead in the last events meant something. In this event it means close to zero.