Venom Heroic - Aug 29 - Sep 1

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    Options
    y2fitzy wrote:
    Going to bed on 52361, in 23rd place in my bracket. Please be enough for a beast. Pray for me my friends!
    I'm sorry, mate, but only being in 1st with some lead can guarantee you a top 150 if you go to bed this early, with 6 hours left on global RB.
  • I started out the day at like 150th and after 3 cycles of doing every node once I'm at #2.

But 'doing every node once' is very, very hard in this event, and it's only going to get harder. Even some of the upper right/middle nodes aren't pushovers, and the 4 nodes that have Daken on the right side are all quite hard.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    y2fitzy wrote:
    Going to bed on 52361, in 23rd place in my bracket. Please be enough for a beast. Pray for me my friends!
    I'm in a similar situation, around #25 in my bracket with nearly 51500 and I'm going to bed, hoping to stay in top 150.
    The pace of the overall grinding is increasing obviously so I can't be sure.
    It's definitely a strange game... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to you and good night, may a beast cover be in your pocket when you'll wake up! icon_e_smile.gif
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    locked wrote:
    y2fitzy wrote:
    I'm sorry, mate, but only being in 1st with some lead can guarantee you a top 150 if you go to bed this early, with 6 hours left on global RB.
    locked, I'm playing for long enough to know that your conclusions are correct...
    but honestly put this way: 'if you go to bed this early' [you will not have your cover], the description of game's rules sound pretty funny icon_eek.gif

And of course, nothing is sure.... after all, servers may go down during my sleep!
    Calvinball rules icon_twisted.gif
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    Yep. I haven't even hit the level 200 guys yet and I am now getting consistently defeated.

With my score at 47.5 K and currently in 66nd ( icon_eek.gif remember when it was a badge of awesome to reach the top Prog reward...? icon_eek.gif ), my hopes of adding Hank to my 40-man are getting slimmer by the hour.

On that note, any alliances need a Merc? PM me if you think my (estimated) 50 K points can earn your 20-ish agents a Yellow Cover. Please PM me by the 3 hour mark(9PM DST) to be considered.

The Post Mortem will be short at the end...
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options
    So I've been playing for 2 days, always seeing the same guys in the top10. Now just during the last hour, suddenly there are 2 garbage teams in second and third place.
    The one in second place's best char is lvl 70. The guy in third place guy has a single 2 Star maxed.
    I wonder if they are also fighting vs lvl 200 Rags.

It seems like a joke but it's very real.

Those are Mario Kart levels of rubberbanding.

What really irks me is how inconsistent all those PVE structures are. The players have no idea how the next event they join is going to work.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    IReallyHatePVP, if you reading this and still need a merc, I have 54k and climbing. I can't PM you because I just registered.

As for the event, it would be nice if the people who put in a consistent strong effort from the start were rewarded for that rather than being slapped aside by rubberbanding.

• As for the event, it would be nice if the people who put in a consistent strong effort from the start were rewarded for that rather than being slapped aside by rubberbanding.

Yup. In events like this, where there is nothing but a global rubberband in play, the entire event devolves into a "musical chairs" rush for the prizes in the last hour. The only protection the top of the leaderboard has the very small area of points where rubberbanding does not exist. But because of the massive rubberband in play, reaching this area is relatively trivial. As a result, the leaders have to continually grind to stay in the "no rubberband" area, which lets everyone else simply coast along in the event effortlessly.

So, unless a player is really pushing for a top 10 placement, which is squarely in the "no rubberband" area, all of the other placements are simply of function of how fast/efficient a player is in the last hour of the event.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    I was solidly top 10 until two hours ago or so. Despite having an incredible showing for 90% of the tournament, I'm now out of the running for top 10 and I'll be lucky if I just place top 20. Stuff like this makes me just debate quitting.
  • ironcondom wrote:
    Not sure if its scaling or rubberbanding, but i was first almost the whole time and now im 4th.. Help me understand cuz because i keep playing the nodes yet continue to fall

As one of the guys hunting you, I must say you keep it up fairly well! Anyways, I guess it is because at any given time, there will be people having more points in their nodes than you, due to the diminishing returns on the nodes themselves, so people can catch up and pass you. Then again, afterwards, you can catch up and pass them again!
  • The guys that come out of nowhere in this event would just be the guys who are always in top 10 if it was structured like any main+sub combo event. Unlike most events, this one there's actually some risk to make a last minute move because the hard nodes in this node is cannot be beaten reliably without AP+3 all boosts and even with that it's not always certain. By the way, it's not that the first 90% of the event doesn't matter. It's that if you don't have what it takes to finish the event then whatever you did in the first 90% isn't going to matter if you're facing someone who can clear everything everytime while you can't touch the right side of the map, because that guy is unbelievably stronger than you so he can afford to slack. And if that guy doesn't want to slack he'd just be in top 10 the entire time and people will still be complaining about how they have no chance.
  • LegendReborn
    LegendReborn Posts: 301
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Make them work the whole time. If those people are going to be there anyway, they should have to work for it. If the entire game is predetermined like that then there's literally no point in playing because progress is almost completely mapped out with little room for extra effort making a major difference. It feels like I have to put in a ton of effort to just get a tiny bit of progress and, if I don't go all out, I can't even advance a tiny bit.
  • It's a problem of either having it completely pointless to join PvE late, or to be frustrating on the later end. It's the lesser of two evils at the moment.
  • I foresee a few World Ruptures going off on those pesky DAs who will try to keep me from rescuing Mary Jane in a couple hours. WR into BRage should do nicely. I hope.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    I foresee a few World Ruptures going off on those pesky DAs who will try to keep me from rescuing Mary Jane in a couple hours. WR into BRage should do nicely. I hope.

DA's don't use Sentry anymore. You're still gonna get bent over by a 2k+ Thunderclap that grants enough green for Godlike Power, which cascades enough green to make a team up Onslaught hit like a truck. I've had Patch lose 7k health in a single move. And Venom's Devour hits for 5k at this point.

Cleared every node within 3 hours over the weekend and I have only a 1200 point lead to show for it. Every 3 hours I'd end up in 20-50th place to climb back to 1-5. Each time the people on the top 10 were new people.
  • I have been fighting to get back into top 10 many times over this tourney, trying to make it work even though I work and cannot play from work. Hoping I can manage to get up a fair bit now as I come home.
  • Flare808
    Options
    Is there anyone around alliance rank 100 that could give an idea of what score would be needed?
  • Have a spot open in our alliance for a freelancer 50k+ pts in the event for someone who wants the top 100 alliance cover. "UnitedAlliance" We were 86th place before we lost someone with 30k points.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    j12601 wrote:
    I foresee a few World Ruptures going off on those pesky DAs who will try to keep me from rescuing Mary Jane in a couple hours. WR into BRage should do nicely. I hope.

DA's don't use Sentry anymore.

I know. I do though. I have 3 level 166 5 cover World Rupture team-ups waiting to be used.
  • SnickerDog
    Options
    Fakeaseizure - I'm at 55K and i just applied for the alliance.