Venom Heroic - Aug 29 - Sep 1

Options

Comments

• Hey all. I'd always been told the most effective way to play PVE was to go node by node grinding the highest starting node down before moving to the next node, but I read on here seine saying just to clear each one once and come back after each refresh. Has something caused the strategy to change? Which is currently the most effective? thanks
    Grinding a node down is pretty much never what you want to do, especially in a no sub event like this where scaling is an issue.

The best way to do well in pve is to clear every node once eery 2.5 hours, period.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    saurus wrote:
    Hey all. I'd always been told the most effective way to play PVE was to go node by node grinding the highest starting node down before moving to the next node, but I read on here seine saying just to clear each one once and come back after each refresh. Has something caused the strategy to change? Which is currently the most effective? thanks
    Grinding a node down is pretty much never what you want to do, especially in a no sub event like this where scaling is an issue.

The best way to do well in pve is to clear every node once eery 2.5 hours, period.

unless it's the last refresh till the end of the event or sub then grind it down while you still have time on the clock
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    saurus wrote:
    Hey all. I'd always been told the most effective way to play PVE was to go node by node grinding the highest starting node down before moving to the next node, but I read on here seine saying just to clear each one once and come back after each refresh. Has something caused the strategy to change? Which is currently the most effective? thanks

unless it's the last refresh till the end of the event or sub then grind it down while you still have time on the clock

OK, thanks. I'm guessing it changed when the countdowns were added and it switched from 12 hour refresh. Back then the other method worked great. I guess someone needs to fix the PVE guide under tips and guides as it still says going node to node and playing them down one by one is the best way.
    Thanks you two for the info!!!
  • I just played more than a month now and i am having a hard time understanding the concept that the pve guide says about almost everything. I finished 4th on the last event by attacking each node once then waiting for 2.5H. Then grind 2 hrs before the end of the event. I am currently ranked 4 - 8 on the venom event i just do each node once every 2.5H. My question how to do i attack each node is it from highest to lowest or lowest to highest to get the most out of each node. then past few weeks i have tons of time to play but i soon wont have enough to do 2.5H everytime so I really want to learn about the not having to play at the start then being able to catch up using the rubberband method. Thank you for your any reply you can give me. Please tell me if im doing something wrong.
    On a side note i really need an alliance i can call home. My ign is Jrq21 Thank you once again.
  • Clearing highest to lowest used to have a significant advantage in the number of points you get for the same effort due to how rubberband works, but because rubberband has been made much weaker the effect of this is relatively unimportant now.

Clearing from lowest to highest is best at the end of an event because it gives other players no real chance at responding by the time you get to your high node points. However this generally requires you to be able to clear everything, which is easier said than done.

Realistically highest to lowest is most practical because you don't have that much time, and sometimes not even that many health packs to clear every node so you should clear the ones that count the most. Of course high point nodes tend to be harder in general, but as long as there aren't any exceptionally hard ones it's usually still better to do the high ones first in terms of health pack management.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you can't clear some nodes or some nodes aren't open to you, your only option to get top 150 besides buying the needed covers IS grinding nodes.

That said, that's my current situation; I don't have Patch and clearing all nodes once at the scheduled time is doing zilch.

Top 150 is going to be impossible.
  • Is scaling getting out of hand for anyone else? I've hit every refresh since the event started and I almost can't beat the end node anymore. How does this make any sense?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "&#91 wrote: »
    "]Is scaling getting out of hand for anyone else? I've hit every refresh since the event started and I almost can't beat the end node anymore. How does this make any sense?

How does it not make sense? After a day or so the nodes got to similar levels in the past PvEs for grinders (I'm guessing you see low to mid 200s right now in the final nodes). Now you just have the added trouble that the scaling isn't going to reset since there aren't any subs and the restricted roster makes it harder to deal with higher level enemies.
  • Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I think I just won the Overkill Award. 10k crotch kick to a 53 hit point Venom to end the fight. Go Bagdevil go! Also, why was Venom matching red (no, it wasn't a cascade)? Who knows! Working as intended! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Amazeballs
    Options
    2 things I've already learned from this event:

1) As I now have a semi decently covered Patch, I now know why you all love him.
    2) it is so gratifying and satisfying seeing DD crotchkick the enemy.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Amazeballs wrote:
    1) As I now have a semi decently covered Patch, I now know why you all love him.

Too bad you won't get a chance to see him in his true glory abusing Mags.
  • saurus wrote:

This.

Agree w/ both of these statements.
  • You can grind to 25K even without Patch and get his cover to do the essentials. Yes it'd be a lot of work, but it's definitely doable.

The scaling on this event is quite low. From previous experience nothing is going to threaten Patch until about level 200 when Patch is level 256 and they're not really close to that level yet. Well, it's very easy to lose anyone else that isn't Patch at this point and your health pack situation might look ugly, but Patch can pretty much always eventually slug it out with the enemy at this point barring incredible combos pulled by the enemy, though I've seen a few games where the AI is able to get him below 7000 HP without a Berserker Rage involved. I guess you can have a Patch do everything team, but that's actually surprisingly slow because you can't Berserker Rage with Patch as the only offense and TBTI takes a long time to gather.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    I've done a full clear on every refresh I've been awake for, and am sitting at #60 right now. Apparently mine is the bracket of people who don't sleep.

On the upside, I have almost 22K, so that yellow Patch over is going to be mine, all mine, bwahahahahah!
  • unimatrix
    unimatrix Posts: 228
    edited August 2014
    Options
    So far.. I've not seen any signs of reset in the heroic nodes.
    That works out well for devs (less work, less iso to give out) but really suck for us players to fight to get those free 20 iso.
    Now. . Where is the fun in that? Same nodes over and over..

Devs.. If you're ever listening. Please consider a reset.
  • I did my first runthrough one refresh ago (almost 15000 front to back) and that last Node has since gone up FIFTY Levels. Sitting at 153 now. Now my Patch is lvl 140 unbuffed but I still am very likely to wipe if I don't use boost.
    Geez, The Character Selection isn't the best for that. Patch is a beast but the others are completely useless vs those strong nodes. The 2 Stars are not buffed enough. And SheHulk and DareDevil don't help.
    Can't wait to see what it looks like towards the end.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    You can grind to 25K even without Patch and get his cover to do the essentials. Yes it'd be a lot of work, but it's definitely doable.

The scaling on this event is quite low. From previous experience nothing is going to threaten Patch until about level 200 when Patch is level 256 and they're not really close to that level yet. Well, it's very easy to lose anyone else that isn't Patch at this point and your health pack situation might look ugly, but Patch can pretty much always eventually slug it out with the enemy at this point barring incredible combos pulled by the enemy, though I've seen a few games where the AI is able to get him below 7000 HP without a Berserker Rage involved. I guess you can have a Patch do everything team, but that's actually surprisingly slow because you can't Berserker Rage with Patch as the only offense and TBTI takes a long time to gather.

I imagine it'd be nearly impossible to hit 25k without Patch. The nodes themselves are basically undoable without him due to the poor character selection.

At enemy level 150+ Patch has the potential to get his butt kicked. With unlucky AI matches Daken's strike tiles and/or Bullseye's protect tiles can get way out of hand. 2 or 3 bullseye tiles and your match damage is down to 1. I've nearly wiped several times on the Bullseye / 2x Pyro node due to being unable to neutralize the Pyros before they drop a ton of inaccessible countdown tiles. The Daken/ Lieutenant node can cause a lot of damage too if you are unable to match your ability colors.

Last rotation I was forced to use 5 health packs to complete it with lvl170-250 mobs.
  • Patch Negates bullseye completely. If you don't want to be efficient you can put up a Storm + Patch + Meatbag team and just fire off a Berserker Rage. All the attacks will trigger Storms yellow and decimate the opponent with the strike tile boost.
  • I am now on a record low of 998 out of 1000 icon_e_smile.gif. I will do each node once this evening which should put me back to 20K behind the leader and will get me to look at what lvl nodes I have. Then its just working out when the push starts for me clearing more and more nodes as we go thought the last 18H or so. (Only aiming for top 10 and that looks like it going to be decided by how you can grind nodes in the last hour or so)
  • PPPlaya wrote:
    Patch Negates bullseye completely. If you don't want to be efficient you can put up a Storm + Patch + Meatbag team and just fire off a Berserker Rage. All the attacks will trigger Storms yellow and decimate the opponent with the strike tile boost.

The problem with this is that it's assuming that Patch's strike tiles will be enough to trigger Storm when Patch gets hit. Which is usually who is taking the damage with a maxed Patch. On the upside though, maxed Patch pretty much means you don't have to worry about who your other two are in any serious way.

On goon nodes - She-Hulk settlement is great. Get rid of 3 countdowns, gain 2 strike tiles. I can live with that.