Venom Heroic - Aug 29 - Sep 1

Options

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    Rubberbanding hasn't been 'strong' in a long time.

My first estimates for the rubber band is it kicks in when your 2K behind and for each extra 2K your behind it increase by one. So maximum will occur at 20K back. (Currently I estimate the global leader on about 6100 points.)

I think the 13 nodes total a base point value of 1715, might be out by a few points, So each refresh will increase the band by about one my estimate is that maximum rubber band will be reached in under a day. (its also mean EVERYONE will get all the progression rewards with just a couple of clears on the third day)

Make what you will of these numbers.
  • Sumilea wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Rubberbanding hasn't been 'strong' in a long time.

My first estimates for the rubber band is it kicks in when your 2K behind and for each extra 2K your behind it increase by one. So maximum will occur at 20K back. (Currently I estimate the global leader on about 6100 points.)

I think the 13 nodes total a base point value of 1715, might be out by a few points, So each refresh will increase the band by about one my estimate is that maximum rubber band will be reached in under a day. (its also mean EVERYONE will get all the progression rewards with just a couple of clears on the third day)

Make what you will of these numbers.

By strong I mean how easily you can easily catch up to within 5% of the overall main/sub leader. In the recent events it's flat out not even possible to catch up even if you cleared everything down to 1 if you fall behind by any significant margin. The exact mechanism doesn't matter too much, as it should be obvious in the recent events the overall leaders are never being caught once you fall behind.

Now I think with the number of nodes it might be possible to catch up if you're able to clear all of them, but that's a big if given the extremely weak roster you've to work with, though this also applies to the global leader too so he can't bulid as big a lead compared to something like iso 8 brotherhood where it's pretty trivial to do a clear every 2H 24M on every node as long as you have endurance.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    By strong I mean how easily you can easily catch up to within 5% of the overall main/sub leader. In the recent events it's flat out not even possible to catch up even if you cleared everything down to 1 if you fall behind by any significant margin. The exact mechanism doesn't matter too much, as it should be obvious in the recent events the overall leaders are never being caught once you fall behind.

Now I think with the number of nodes it might be possible to catch up if you're able to clear all of them, but that's a big if given the extremely weak roster you've to work with, though this also applies to the global leader too so he can't bulid as big a lead compared to something like iso 8 brotherhood where it's pretty trivial to do a clear every 2H 24M on every node as long as you have endurance.

What is your definition of recent? I've won events in the last 2 months both by riding the rubberband and just 'grinding' like a madman.
  • FierceKiwi wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

What is your definition of recent? I've won events in the last 2 months both by riding the rubberband and just 'grinding' like a madman.

Before when rubberband was strong you can get awfully close to the overall leader all the time. This hasn't been possible for a long time. You can still win despite being nowhere close to the overall leader but that doesn't mean rubberband is strong. It just means you didn't have people who are close to (or is) the overall leader in your bracket. For example in Iso 8 you can have a very competitive score but you'll often notice there's some guy in your sub that has 2000 or more points compared to you even when all your missions are worth less than 100. That guy is never going to get caught by rubberbanding, but you don't have to be anywhere near that guy's score to win your main either.

I did a preliminary clear and right now the rubberband seems similar to the past events, and currently nothing is high enough to prevent clearing them every 2H 24M so that means somebody is likely to do it. But this is a long event so I'm not sure how scaling will play out. I'm guessing if stuff starts hitting level 200 (which is still 56 levels below Patch's boosted levels), a full clear every 2H 24M would no longer be realistically possible, but no idea how long or if it'll get there at all.
  • FierceKiwi
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Before when rubberband was strong you can get awfully close to the overall leader all the time. This hasn't been possible for a long time. You can still win despite being nowhere close to the overall leader but that doesn't mean rubberband is strong. It just means you didn't have people who are close to (or is) the overall leader in your bracket. For example in Iso 8 you can have a very competitive score but you'll often notice there's some guy in your sub that has 2000 or more points compared to you even when all your missions are worth less than 100. That guy is never going to get caught by rubberbanding, but you don't have to be anywhere near that guy's score to win your main either.

I did a preliminary clear and right now the rubberband seems similar to the past events, and currently nothing is high enough to prevent clearing them every 2H 24M so that means somebody is likely to do it. But this is a long event so I'm not sure how scaling will play out. I'm guessing if stuff starts hitting level 200 (which is still 56 levels below Patch's boosted levels), a full clear every 2H 24M would no longer be realistically possible, but no idea how long or if it'll get there at all.

But what does it matter if you can catch the mysterous shadowy figure who happens to be the overall leader. Unless that guy is in your bracket it doesn't matter.
  • coRexx wrote:
    i dont want to compete for the top posis, but maybe top25...
    so what do you think guys?
    should i join now and farm 12h like crazy?
    or join maybe 12h before the event ends and farm like crazy?

You don't have to farm like crazy for top25. The later you join, he slower the brackets fire. Last time I joined late I was 30k points behind the bracket leader and barely got Top 50.

I don't have time to play tomorrow.
    I really really need the Yellow patch but I also want the Top10 Beast, so i don't want to join a bracket and let it sit tomorrow. If I join the bracket with 2 days 5 hours to go you reckon I could easily get the yellow cover? If possible I would even time it at 1day 20 hours to go because I don't really want to join right before I go to sleep.
  • PPPlaya wrote:
    I really really need the Yellow patch but I also want the Top10 Beast, so i don't want to join a bracket and let it sit tomorrow. If I join the bracket with 2 days 5 hours to go you reckon I could easily get the yellow cover? If possible I would even time it at 1day 20 hours to go because I don't really want to join right before I go to sleep.

Joining late is always a crapshoot. You could be one of the first people in your bracket, in which case you should be fine. You could also be one of the last to join, which will put you at a (sometimes severe) disadvantage. There's no way to guarantee that you're early.
  • I'm not worried about getting into a late bracket. With 2 days to go for 3.5 day event they should still fire regularly. My bigger concern is getting the yellow patch. My best character right now is a 5/3/3 patch, so you might see how badly i need him.
  • FierceKiwi
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    PPPlaya wrote:

Joining late is always a crapshoot. You could be one of the first people in your bracket, in which case you should be fine. You could also be one of the last to join, which will put you at a (sometimes severe) disadvantage. There's no way to guarantee that you're early.

It's less ricky here since everything is on the main. Typically you could be behind by a sub then you're just dead in the water here there's at least a chance you can catch up to the leaders with RB.
  • I guess that ties in with another question. Is the Rubberbanding to the global leader or the bracket leader? If it's the global leader you could almost join with 5 hours to go and get the progression rewards.
  • FierceKiwi
    Options
    PPPlaya wrote:
    I guess that ties in with another question. Is the Rubberbanding to the global leader or the bracket leader? If it's the global leader you could almost join with 5 hours to go and get the progression rewards.

Everyone says global. I'm far to lazy to try to confirm that and will assume Sumilea knows what he's talking about.
  • FierceKiwi wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

But what does it matter if you can catch the mysterous shadowy figure who happens to be the overall leader. Unless that guy is in your bracket it doesn't matter.

That guy is always in my bracket. icon_e_sad.gif
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Am I wrong in thinking there will be 12/24 hr resets in this heroic? Is that not what they usually do?
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Any scaling is really going to hurt. exactly 5 characters I can use for this, 1 is DD (chuckle, snort) and another is a 2 cover shulkie. Obw, storm and a 7 cover patch. Ugh. 5 health packs exactly to do just one clear, and that was at the event start and only 4 hours after. Thus, scaling will be a truly harsh mistress to me this time around I think.
  • Berserker Rage + Power of Attorney can often wipe out the entire opposing team. Use Berserker Rage on one guy, Power of Attorney on another guy and kill him with the cascade, and then use the match damage to kill the third guy.
  • Unless you have all the available characters, joining late to rubberband seems like a really bad idea to me. Even then, the characters allowed are mostly low health, so unless you have a Patch to tank you might run out of health packs midway through your first go-around.

I wish I'd kept she-hulk and daredevil around I guess, but they've always been iso to me.
  • Lystrata wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Unless you have all the available characters, joining late to rubberband seems like a really bad idea to me.

Heh, this. I have 4 available characters, and went through most of my health packs in the first 'go' of the map. I thought it'd be fine, since most of them should recover in the 2.5 hours it'd take for the nodes to replenish... then realised that the first nodes I played only had 1.5 hours to go, by the time I'd completed the last nodes. So at no stage from here on will I have all 5 health packs full at the start of a 'new go' of the map (following sleep excluded).

Joining late might work ordinarily when you have a whole roster to run through, but now... it just seems like asking to be wiped out and having very limited recovery time.

(For what it's worth, I'm not actually complaining here. I'm quite amused by the whole thing - I find it adds a little more 'strategy', insofar as it can, than usual. Always enjoy something out of the ordinary.)

It's fun, but seems to me like anyone with a high level Patch is going to faceroll this event.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Berserker Rage + Power of Attorney can often wipe out the entire opposing team. Use Berserker Rage on one guy, Power of Attorney on another guy and kill him with the cascade, and then use the match damage to kill the third guy.

That sounds like a boatload of fun. idk how well it's going to work with just 1 PoA cover on a buffed lvl 83 shulkie. icon_e_confused.gif

I revised my strat a bit the last run. switching obw in place with c.storm actually helped a bit by itself so widow matches blue. More espionage damage and stealing... Patch center, obw #2 and c.storm #3 shields storm from most dmg as patch out ranks her by 50 lvls. If I don't touch yellow as much as possible, sometimes there are actually 12 yellow tiles on the board letting patch heal. Then the main health pack expenditure is OBW, who takes p/b/b on the chin. preferably only when necessary. It allowed me 2 spare healthpacks to put a couple matches each into the 2 pvp's.
  • Phantron wrote:
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

That guy is always in my bracket. icon_e_sad.gif

Is it because that guy... is you?

icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm debating whether or not to try to put ISO into some of the characters available to this event. I only have ~3700 right now, so it probably wouldn't do much good. My current unbuffed options are:
    4/1/5 Patch lvl 100/130
    3/5/5 OBW 94/94
    5/5/3 CStorm 94/94
    2/2/4 SHulk 78/102
    2/2/2 DD 58/76
    5/5/3 Johnny 25/94

Should I even bother with ISO for the last 3?