Captain Marvel + Daken Rebalance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So, I've held off on leveling my 3* Mags for fear I'd be wasting the ISO, since his nerf has been so close for so long. Needing good blue and purple I went with Daken instead since he seemed safe.
    I don't trust anything in this game very much anymore except that Bagman will always suck, spending money on it is a waste, and that they do everything under the sun to make it nearly impossible to save up HP (Look, a new tournament type that makes having character slots for 1*s desirable!)
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You can balance daken theough simple bumber tweaks and still have him be at its core the same style of character. Any changes they make to cmags is not going to be anywhere near as simple as reducing damage and lowering heal. It doesnt excuse them from not changing the character for however many months its been, but you should easily see why they released these daken nerfs ao fast compared to spidey/cmags.

absolutely not. So you are telling me taking about 1 minute 48.2 seconds (approximately) to make mag c blue protect tiles randomized is a more difficult fix than than what just happened to daken? No sir. I disagree.

Im not talking about the difficulty of implementation, im saying that cmags is broken in a way that requires some change to the core functionality of how his character is played and requires actual design decisions as to what kind of fix they should implement to balence the character while not pissing off the entire forum that their beloved cmags cant infinitely chain turns with blue anymore. Updated daken is basically identical to prenerf daken except he heals a little less and has weaker strike tiles: updated cmags blue is going to look nothing like how it is now. Watch the forum reaction regarding these nerfs vs spidey nerfs, and its pretty obvious why they would roll out a change like this so quickly vs something like a cmags nerf.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    The TL/DR version
    3* Daken
    • Strike tiles do 46 instead of 68 damage at max level.
    • One more blue tile is needed for healing.

Both old and new text mentions yellow that makes no sense. The 'new' text except for yellow matches the current one, I don't see the +1 needed tile only for the ** version.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    The TL/DR version
    3* Daken

Both old and new text mentions yellow that makes no sense. The 'new' text except for yellow matches the current one, I don't see the +1 needed tile only for the ** version.

Ah, I only checked it against what was in the notes, not in game. Yeah, looks like the "Old" version is wrong in the notes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Aebramz wrote:
    3* Daken got a 33% nerf to his strike tile damage.... he's still a beast.

68x2 = 136 vs 46x2 = 92 per match.

Healing got a 1 tile more necessity... which isn't the end of the world. 5/5/3 seems to make sense now.

5/5/3 for Daken is the **only** possible build now, unless you want a completely suicidal Daken.

The strike tile nerf is... eh, but acceptable.

The healing/heat nerf is much, much more painful. Maintaining 9 Blue on the board at all times (At 1/2 Black covers) consistently is almost an impossibility if there is anyone on the opposing team that uses Blue. 8 Blue is only marginally better (3 Black covers), and really needs that 7% heal (4 Black covers) to really come close to breaking even. 7 Blue (5 Covers) is the old 3 Black, which is the first real tier where Daken has any form of sustainable stability against Heat. But the player still has to focus on keeping the blue on the board to avoid asphyxiating him accidentally.

This has an indirect effect of hard nerfing Chemical Reaction. At 5 Black, a player might be able to recover from a temporary Blue drain from casting this ability. Below 5 Black, the player likely has all-but-guaranteed to asphyxiate Daken unless some kind of major board shakeup happens to stem the bleeding. Using Chemical Reaction is now a "last resort" or a match-ending move only (unless a player wants a downed Daken).

This also renders him much more vulnerable to being starved in PvP. An active player will keep Blue on the board to a minimum, which will kill make Daken much easier to defeat than before.

-- Also, it is interesting to see 2** Daken receiving the same extreme vulnerabilities.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I love ms marvel, but her powers dont jive with me. My current main shell is Cap+Hood and too much overlap. Her skills standalone sound great though. Not OP but still interesting enough to be usable. Maybe pair her with Hulk or Patch.

I guess she would make a good counter to the non-existent gold Bullseye.
  • Unknown
    Options
    first they nerf all healers, get everybody angry

then wait a bit. People think that they would undo a mistake, but instead they nerf the ones that could heal themselves. Wolvie, you are next!
  • Unknown
    Options
    For Marvel I like the 'nuke all shields' thingy for its fun value (plus countering the shield makers), but overall I see another character for the bench never deserving good ISO.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That's so nice of them with waiting until I sell my extra Daken covers before they let me know that I should have respecced him... awesome!
  • Leugenesmiff
    Options
    Has 3*Daken's nerf gone through yet, because I'm looking at mine in game and neither the new or old are correct? Adding a second purple says I'll go from strength 16 strike tile to plus 20%. That's nowhere in the change for either. Black, at level one, already starts at requiring 9. They can't even not screw up telling us about this.
  • Leugenesmiff
    edited July 2014
    Options
    In the spirit of things I screwed up as well and opted that twice.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    The TL/DR version
    3* Daken

Ah, I only checked it against what was in the notes, not in game. Yeah, looks like the "Old" version is wrong in the notes.
    Ah oh k then
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    morgh wrote:
    That's so nice of them to wait until I sell my extra Daken covers that I should have respecced him... awesome!
    This icon_evil.gif

The strike tile nerf is "whatever," but the healing nerf is such a kick in the face to 535 players
  • Unknown
    Options
    Why make a three star and two star identical? What is the point to having the third star?

I know its a minor nerf but to have both purple powers do the same thing? I just hate the change and I'm also upset that they don't do what they said they'd do.

BUFF X-FORCE YOU SAID YOU WOULD AND THEN JUST DON'T; THIS IS GETTING OLD
  • Unknown
    Options
    morgh wrote:
    That's so nice of them with waiting until I sell my extra Daken covers before they let me know that I should have respecced him... awesome!

I also just sent 80k ISO his way... What is your plan for respec?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm all for that Captain Marvel Red ability. Welcome to your end Falcon.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Options
    Has 3*Daken's nerf gone through yet, because I'm looking at mine in game and neither the new or old are correct? Adding a second purple says I'll go from strength 16 strike tile to plus 20%. That's nowhere in the change for either. Black, at level one, already starts at requiring 9. They can't even not screw up telling us about this.

Also, just checked, at level 3 purple it's a boost of + 20%.
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't forget, this is the second nerf of Daken's strike tiles, the first happened back on 5/9 shortly after he was introduced and is in the announcements in the patch notes.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7084
  • Unknown
    Options
    My Daken was already maxed and at 5/5/3. So after picking up 1/2/1 more covers, instead of selling them for 2k ISO, I bought a roster slot, used the covers and spent 4k or so ISO to level him up. Figured ultimately I'd go with a second Daken at 5/3/5 sometime down the line when the covers came in. I can now sell him for 3K. Which I will be doing.

I'm not angry about the change. He's quite strong, and will still be strong.

I'm not angry about the 3K ISO I'm out. That's a lightning round, or a top 5 finish where I might have settled for 6-10.

I am however bummed with the timing of this. Seriously, you knew you were giving out Daken rewards. You knew people would use them, and likely spend more HP to buy extra covers if they felt they were close to a viable character.
    And right after that you announce the change? It's like the smallest of felines are all over this company in terms of how they choose to use timely communication.

9PQvvDd.gif

We're not saying Boo-urns, Boo-urns. -.-
  • Unknown
    Options
    Beast1970 wrote:
    Don't forget, this is the second nerf of Daken's strike tiles, the first happened back on 5/9 shortly after he was introduced and is in the announcements in the patch notes.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7084

Yeah the ** version got it hard from *** appearance and seems he gets it again -- anyone can tell a good reason for that?

Or it is just adjustment so the new max level (that increased due to 3rd cover) has the same strength as the old max?