Balance of Power - July 16-18

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, got hit HARD when trying to cross 1K. Out of health and out of useable chars, so shielded at 900 for the duration. Let's see if that's good enough for T5.

Even though I got hit by everyone and their dog, I loved this event. It was just awesome to wheel out chars that we had to go up against in PVE and kick butt with them. Please repeat this every 4 weeks or so.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is the most fun I've had playing Marvel Puzzle Quest in ages. This event is wonderful! I have Nazerith lined up and if someone will tell me when they unshield I'll spend 150 hero points just for the sake of **** with 'em. icon_lol.gif It's like, I got to 800 points, expecting to hit the wall of 166, and then realized, "wait, my OBW+Ares+Daken **** TRASHES anything other than Sentry+LDaken+Hood", so I just kept going! It's awesome!
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    Options
    I made a point to one shot the last opponent with the damage bonus from murderous aim only a few moments ago. Idk if I'll be able to pull that off again, especially against a juggs (survived and managed to heal back up through 2 headbutts, but OBW died on the third (bleeping cascades just dropping in 3 extra red all the time)), but the satisfaction of 1-shotting a 21k HP juggy is the kind of payback I've really been wanting. God that was satisfying. That makes 8 Juggies down, more to come I hope.

I set up the match, excited to try it. Little did I know when I was setting it up that obw wouldn't be reaping extra black from espionage. The 6+ protect tiles out at any given time is really what made it possible... that and forest environment. I love bullseye. If they are making tiny daken into a real boy, perhaps he'll get an upgrade with a third power two. A single target stun maybe... hrm.

I got sick of itching to play the event, so I said screw it and climbed from 11th, well up past the shielded first place player. Not being shielded, I was stunned to find I'd only lost 60 pts. I mean the bracket went up all around me as I slept, but very few made me their punching bag with a defensive team of ares/obw/baby-storm.

Now with all the events going on, the health packs are gone. Got a foot in the door on fresh cut, been hitting nodes on iso-8 event. I might have to skip those nodes for the finish of BoP. Its too fun to not try to place well even though the psylocke covers are only going to a single cover character at the moment.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Grr, this hour delay totally kitty destroyed me. I burnt up all my medpacks (and like 4k ISO) for a push finishing at half after, but then I realized that there was still 3:30 left on the tourney.

And then while I was debating if I really wanted to burn HP on a 8 hour shield, I took 120 points of hits in under 5 minutes, putting me from a reasonable 1 match lead, to not even in the top 10. And then every fight afterwards, I took 50 points of hits for every 20 something I won. And that was with my juggs and ares out (which I don't have the Health packs to put back in now)

Nice concept, but kitty this implimentation.

Especially since black is the psylocke cover I actually need, and it doesn't look like my alliance will hit top 100 either
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    It's getting brutal out there.

I'm holding onto third in my bracket, 60 behind 2nd and another 100 behind first but 4th is only two points behind. 5th down to at least 15th are only 60 points behind that. I want both those black covers icon_cry.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Broke 1k. I'm done.

Had Electro lined up for a 50, and worldrunner for 49. It was time to reshield...took down worldrunner. Fight went bad against electro so I bailed for a -1. Hit someone else just to break 1k.

Overall this was quite the fun and interesting tournament, especially in the parts that were not the ending. Just the casual play during the first day or so was great. Lots of variety, interesting teams and I played with a bunch of characters I never or rarely use anymore outside of PVE.

I would like to see it again. That said, I'd like to see it again in about a month, when the season is over as a fun downtime activity. More than that might be a little much. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I got up to 917 and shielded in first. I'm about 50 points ahead of #2. I can't imagine that I"ll unshield - I don't want to stay up until 1:00, and all I really need out of this is one Psylocke Black, and the alliance is ~#15, so I'm liable to get two of them. But Blue IW would be nice; I need two more of them.

In any case, feel free to attack me. I think the last team I used is even easyish - like a CStorm, OBW, and Ares, if I remember right. I was running low on healthy maxed characters and out of health packs.

This has been a blast. I love that we're finally seeing some non-stultifying PVPs. Enough of these and I might start spending money on the game again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm in second in my bracket. Done here as well.

Have to say, its very strange to see pure 1* teams in the 800+ range.

There's been some interesting defense teams out there for sure, especially the ones that try to be anti-Sentry.

As mentioned earlier CStorm is an interesting deterrent, because she has to be manually downed before casting World Rupture, else bad times will happen. As a stall tactic, she bought the other two on the team plenty of time to inflict significant collateral damage.

One that caught me deceptively offguard was OBW+Juggs+Ares. Fun Fact: On defense, AGD at 270 heals enough damage to fully heal the self-inflicted damage caused by Sunders/Headbutts.

Grand Champion for "Best Defense Team Ever": Saw this team around the 900s: deceptively low health, seemingly easy opponents.... "Its a trap!"

-- Ares, Cmags, Bullseye.

Ares to inflict damage, Cmags and Bullseye to crank out triple digit defense tiles like there is no tomorrow, fueling CMags's Translocation. Add Murderous Aim on Black. Pure Death by Green/Yellow/Purple/Black.

This team laughed at my Sentry's Sacrifice + LDaken's board full of strike tiles. Think it took me 4 World Ruptures to barely pull out a miracle win in that fight, which I shouldn't have won. Well played, indeed!
  • Nighthawk81
    Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Reading the last couple pages of stories leading up to shielding has been great. I really hope that they run this in a month or two.
  • Unknown
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:
    it looks like the late joiner crew is out en masse now.

im getting hit for -40 points left and right ...with 3-9 point retals.

so happy i dont care about this events or its rewards...i got a taste...i get it...time to move on.

Same problem why we not like the * tournament: no such thing as 'defense team',

Are you kidding me? I've been getting more defensive wins this tournament than I have in my entire MPQ career combined
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    are servers going to crash last 30 minutes cause i'm getting leaderboards errors
  • Unknown
    Options
    My problem is that what I think constitutes a decent defensive team for this event in theory has not exactly worked out in practice. I thought I had a good defensive team in earlier and lost to just about every attack. Then I put in a more aggressive team to climb a little tonight but thought it would be bad on defense and racked up two defensive wins in a row. Granted small sample size, but whatever. This has been interesting but I'm prepared to be done and go back to something vaguely resembling normalcy. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I'm getting them too. Just had to try shielding three times before it would let me.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    I'm getting them too. Just had to try shielding three times before it would let me.

I did two quick matches tried to get a shield down but the game like stuttered. But 15 secs later popup shows two defeats one white protected by shield one red -38 in same popup...pfft. Server lag is a tease.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wonderful timing for the server to go down.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:
    it looks like the late joiner crew is out en masse now.

im getting hit for -40 points left and right ...with 3-9 point retals.

so happy i dont care about this events or its rewards...i got a taste...i get it...time to move on.

Same problem why we not like the * tournament: no such thing as 'defense team',

Are you kidding me? I've been getting more defensive wins this tournament than I have in my entire MPQ career combined
    I got a grand total of 1 defensive win this whole tourney, with some combination of juggy/ares/OBW/Laken. What kind of team were you running?
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Went from 545 to 932 in the last 75 minutes. Finished second in my bracket and didn't shield once. Good PvP is good.

Although, I was surprised I didn't get hit a lot more than I did on my climb. Maybe only 7 or 8 attacks, two of which were wins. The rest of the tournament I had been getting hit like crazy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Didn't need the reward covers other than red so I spent the last 15 minutes retreating to players that had rosters where they needed Psylocke covers to drop out of top 25, finished 30th... My karma feels good icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    i took first in my bracket. i played sporadically the last 3 hours and pushed hard the last 20 mins w Ldakan sentry Juggs.

i have mixed feelings about this event. it was fun at times and stressful at others.

in the end...ehhh

bring on S4 and bag lady covers!

marc
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I only lost a fraction of points while I slept (granted I only had like 600-700 at the time). Can confirm that the last team I played with before going to bed was Ares/oBW/Hood.

pl0VEuT.png

Hope to see the event sometime again!