Balance of Power - July 16-18

Options

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder if they'll ever do a pvp where your team can only have good guys or bad guys, and whichever one you select you only face the opposite in the tournament. I hope they wait till their are more villains before they do that though.
    Great idea, but as you alluded to, there aren't enough villains currently. If you chose a villain team you'd get attacked much more than a hero team.
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I wonder if they'll ever do a pvp where your team can only have good guys or bad guys, and whichever one you select you only face the opposite in the tournament. I hope they wait till their are more villains before they do that though.
    Great idea, but as you alluded to, there aren't enough villains currently. If you chose a villain team you'd get attacked much more than a hero team.

There used to be a Dark Avengers only tournament, which evolved into a villains only tournament "Bad is Good", and now has disappeared into the ether.

The problem, according to Demiurge, is that the player-base as a whole does not like them (according to participation/spending data). So, as the event does not generate as much revenue as the standard "featured +2" modem Demiurge discontinued offering it.

-- On that note, I still firmly believe that Prodigal Sun (Ep 4.5) was originally meant to be a Dark Avenger only PvE that was retooled into a normal PvE because of revenue generation reasons. The dialog from the event has quite a few logical disconnects that make little/no sense, unless observed through the lens of playing as the Dark Avengers only.
  • KillStormFirst
    KillStormFirst Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This tournament is getting boring.. a little more selection would be nice instead of having Balance of Power as the only option to choose from if you want any kind of reward. When do other events start?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Haha, I just saw poor Lycra

269... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    There used to be a Dark Avengers only tournament, which evolved into a villains only tournament "Bad is Good", and now has disappeared into the ether.

The problem, according to Demiurge, is that the player-base as a whole does not like them (according to participation/spending data). So, as the event does not generate as much revenue as the standard "featured +2" modem Demiurge discontinued offering it.

The reason that one went away is that there were very few Dark Avengers worth using that people had on their rosters.

Ares is a given, but a lot of people didn't want to put much into Tinydaken, Bullseye, Moonstone, Ragnarok, Venom, etc.

Adding LazyDaken and Sentry should help participation tremendously if it is ever re-run.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This tournament is getting boring.. a little more selection would be nice instead of having Balance of Power as the only option to choose from if you want any kind of reward. When do other events start?

S4 starts in 18 hours with Psy and probably a weeklong redISO starts same time for the new MEH^H^Harvel character. So you'll have fair chance to grind away shortly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm still with my original opinion that this is not good for the "usual" PVP format.

This buff idea should be run like the SHIELD training -- the old one that was sitting on the story tab, sit there permanently providing progression while placement is just tabulated without consequence.

And several such training areas could be there, each with different rules/buffsets. Ideal for just rumbling a bit and put benched characters to some fights.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    I'm still with my original opinion that this is not good for the "usual" PVP format.

This buff idea should be run like the SHIELD training -- the old one that was sitting on the story tab, sit there permanently providing progression while placement is just tabulated without consequence.

And several such training areas could be there, each with different rules/buffsets. Ideal for just rumbling a bit and put benched characters to some fights.
    This should be a thing at all times. Gives you a good testing bed and helps people get better at matchups. Gaining a little ISO in the process won't be bad either. I'd even take it with 0 rewards being offered cause ISO and 1-2* covers are enough.
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    Options
    I bit the bullet and took a juggs by the horns... err... rounded helmet. Very lucky with no cascades, and able to aggressive recon just as he got 6 red twice... so VERY lucky. With that said, he went down very fast under ares & cstorm, leaving only a quick mop-up pass to down IM*** and Thor**.

Probably the most nervous about a fight I've been in a long time. The prologue had instilled fear of that dude in me. He alone made my wife quit playing after I'd introduced her to the game... Such a hard hitting ability on 6ap really is killer.

I wish I had a viable BP to run with obw. I'd love farming those black then instead of just taking them when nothing else for espionage's sake.

I'm loving this event to much, I'm just about tempted to just keep playing until I run out of characters and saying to heck with it when i lose a bunch of points. I can't believe I'm going to say this... but I'm just not being attacked enough. icon_lol.gif Then again it might be a pretty lax bracket. Top score just broke 600 I think.

It is nice not being farmed like cattle for once...
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It would be interesting to have a PVE that has this balance of power mechanic for the players. The enemies will be extra hard. Scaling could help adjust it to the correct difficulty. I think this opens up even more possible teams to use since you don't have to worry about a defensive team.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

In my opinion it's more due to the fact that the options for villains just isn't as good, not because people aren't interested in using villains. In fact the whole original selection of villains, if I remember correctly, only has 2 abilities as opposed to 3, which just sucks.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I've yet to pick up a defensive win but I guess that's not all that surprising when I'm barely even pausing before attacking anyone myself.
  • Unknown
    Options
    adamLmpq wrote:
    Lyrian wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:

In my opinion it's more due to the fact that the options for villains just isn't as good, not because people aren't interested in using villains. In fact the whole original selection of villains, if I remember correctly, only has 2 abilities as opposed to 3, which just sucks.

Not to mention that when it was Dark Avengers only it was basically a 2* tournament full of bad 2* nobody liked or maxed, plus a nerfed 3*. After Ares came out it was basically the Ares tournament. Even expanding it all villians meant a pretty underwhelming range where lots of people might have only one seriously levelled 3* character (most likely C.Mags).

These days at least there's also Sentry and Lazyken, but I still don't want to see another "Bad Is Good" tourney.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Here is my favorite team for this event so far, and one I haven't seen anyone else using either.

mStorm, OBW, Bullseye in the forest

Grab purples for shields and steals
    blues for the temp healing
    reds for the board shake and thorned roses
    green for the ap generation and board shakes
    black, save up for bullseye to get his murder on

get out some shields and temp healing early to negate most all damage
    steal from the enemy as needed to keep them from doing anything too painful

once you have enough black ap you can wait for a good configuration use murderous aim to give yourself 100+ environment AP or save up 27 black and a thorned rose and then just murder people.

And I do mean murder, I have been getting the bonus damage from murderous aim to go off in about 80% of the matches I have played so far and have even killed two full health enemies at once. The 27k bonus damage is enough to one shot the juggs, and getting creative with the crit tiles makes some really impressive numbers fly out if anyone is still alive by then.

Also I haven't had this much fun in ages. I highly recommend and it works even better with some mild boosts.
  • Unknown
    Options
    i also agree that d3 did something right for the first time in a long time.

there is a certain fun team comp that has 1 1*, 1 2* and 1 3* that is pretty much unstoppable (except freak monster cascades) that is able to defeat any team. in fact i don't pay attention to the enemy team comp, i just look for what match offers the most points at the time. this team has yet to be beaten legitimately by the ai except for the aforementioned freak monster cascades. icon_evil.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Cryptobrancus,
    you're one of the only 2,5 people to have a maxed Bullseye icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I admit I leveled mine in that last pve he was buffed in. and haven't regretted it at all. I think I made a six figure crit earlier, and now I have to try to see if i can top that...
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I admit I leveled mine in that last pve he was buffed in. and haven't regretted it at all. I think I made a six figure crit earlier, and now I have to try to see if i can top that...
    That's what finally got me to max him. He was a good counter for Moonstone when she was becoming a pain in my side. But as for this tournament. I ran him until I remembered I have a usable Hood on my roster.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Good to see the AI's cascade powers are as good as ever icon_neutral.gif

This was the result of the first turn of my last match:
    hellcascade.jpg
    I'm just lucky storm used all the green instead of Ares...

Edit: Finally picked up a defensive win thanks to my retaliation buddy - I've managed about 150 points of my 500 odd off one person icon_lol.gif
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    Options
    After reading this thread I realized I've never seen murderous aims damage bonus go off. I gotta try that soon. Bullseye would likely be a favorite character if he had a decent 3rd power. I used him a lot in pve when buffed, then as my third wheel in simulator before I got better choices. Protect tiles are sweet when you are just gathering up that color anyway.