*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• As an aside, which 2 characters are you planning to use with Punisher?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rags and whatever else is boosted. Or maybe Spidey. Really, as a 3* wolvie
  • Spoit wrote:
    Hm, Spidey not Magneto? Perhaps OBW?
  • Spoit
    Spoit wrote:
    Too Squishy outside of lightning rounds. And mags is a bit redundant with mags, IMO. (And I'd rather keep the enemy stunlocked than AP deprived, saves the incidental matching damage, and they don't have a chance to get a freak cascade)
  • Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Too Squishy outside of lightning rounds. And mags is a bit redundant with mags, IMO. (And I'd rather keep the enemy stunlocked than AP deprived, saves the incidental matching damage, and they don't have a chance to get a freak cascade)
    Hey, I was just trying to brainstorm. Because this is the current meta:

3* Magneto? Put him with Rag and Spidey
    GS BW? Put her with Rag and Spidey
    Punisher? Put him with Rag and Spidey

It's all a bit boring. I'm trying to see what else is there...even if it's not the strongest, but still a legit combo.

I still stand by OBW with Punisher...don't underestimate Espionage. And it's not about depriving AP, but stealing/gaining AP.
  • Ended up going 5 red...I think it was the right choice for me.
    Reasons for 3/5/5:
    1. I have enough covers to go 2/4/5...lol
    2. The more I use him, the more I realize his black isn't going to help me that Much outside the initial damage. I am constantly blowing up red and he is currently being teamed with wolvie...who eats up red constantly with his tiles. Half the time I lose my tile before it works, 1/4 time I use the black with no room on red available. The last 1/4 it seems by the time I have the necessary incidental black (its a fallback color) the match is basically over. If 5 made it to one as we all thought I'd stay with my initial thought of 5/5/3... At 2 turns I'd rather have 5 in green to make his judgement decent on teams without wolverine or a distinctly better green.
    3. The red may be useful later on. I am not a fan of his red, let me say that first. Enemies outside of pve or 200% boosts its a big waste. That said, if they have 20k+ pve bosses now..what's to say they cannot have even stronger ones later? What about a iron patriot with 7-8k base hp being turned into a lvl 300 or something with 30k hp? That 10% means not just an extra 3k damage but it means 3k less before you can use the attack to kill, which is a multiple turn difference. Again, not a fan, but the red has more growing room than the black does except for a buff to black occurring.
    4. I probably will use punisher mostly in pve or when buffed. As such, his specialty red and strike tiles are his best bet most likely.
    5. Rounds end too quickly for even a 2 turn tile maker to be great. You add taking about a few turns in before you get enough black....then possibly waiting for there to be non-matching red on the board. Without the initial damage (which is low) I'd probably never use his black. Sometimes I have to contemplate if a single wolvie strike tile is a better choice than dropping his black, where that situation should never occur.
    6. Green isn't bad as long as you aren't running a tile heavy team. I wouldn't recommend wolverine spidey punisher necessarily in other words. I find 2 uses of green is pretty good and usually leaves 3-4 tiles on the board (sub 5 green...). Plus the second one is getting boosted by the earlier one's tiles and many times causes a nice cascade. Regardless I would rather have the extra strike tile than a turn less on the black.
    7. I don't have to lvl him up to make his red better. It's "initial damage" is ho hum for the cost of a 3*** red, the only part affected by level, and so a lvl 35 punisher can down a 20k guy just as well as a lvl 141. ISO saving right now is big as I have a bunch I want to level up still.
  • Eh, I just went and used my covers, 3/4/5 now. Basically I just felt it wasn't worth it to wait and see if Punisher gets a buff when I had the covers to get him 90% done now. As well as what I stated in my skill benefit analysis previously.
  • As an aside, which 2 characters are you planning to use with Punisher?

Rag's speed makes him a go to for me (maxed out) but I really like my Mags-Spidey-Punisher team. They are so much slower than any team I can put out with Rags but they pack a punch and the color rainbow is always nice.
  • Spoit
    As an aside, which 2 characters are you planning to use with Punisher?

Rag's speed makes him a go to for me (maxed out) but I really like my Mags-Spidey-Punisher team. They are so much slower than any team I can put out with Rags but they pack a punch and the color rainbow is always nice.
    I might try that during one of the lightnings I go to 250 and tank. I tried him as a wolvie replacement during the widow tournament, after wolvie ate a mistimed power->cascade chain, and he was....adequate? In terms of pure strike tiles, 2 casts (and change) of wolvie is probably still better, since each one is boosted by the strike tiles, and might actually have higher base damage anyway. But the group hit from the black was kinda nice.

And man, I don't even want to imagine 20k+ HP enemies without having a boosted wolvie's strike tiles. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Spoit wrote:
    I tried him as a wolvie replacement during the widow tournament, after wolvie ate a mistimed power->cascade chain, and he was....adequate? In terms of pure strike tiles, 2 casts (and change) of wolvie is probably still better, since each one is boosted by the strike tiles, and might actually have higher base damage anyway. But the group hit from the black was kinda nice.

And man, I don't even want to imagine 20k+ HP enemies without having a boosted wolvie's strike tiles. icon_e_surprised.gif

Yeah, by the numbers Wolvie is still the king of the strike tiles but Frank is a *** with strike tiles and a good aoe black ability. But Wolvie has healing which makes up for the ** status a little (considering how good he is otherwise). Wolvie and Punisher together aren't horrible. Just major overlap on powers and colors but you could do worse.

I went 5 in red for Frank because of the thought of 20k+ HP enemies without a buffed Wolvie.
  • Am currently at 4/3/3 and am sitting on the red card from the hulk event and wasn't sure I wanted to ise it.

Initially wanted 5/5/3, but now I'm considering 5/3/5. Glad to see people doing his red, as I wasn't sure it would be worth it.
  • I think you should really consider gg for 5/5/3 instead of 5/3/5.
    Currently a 0/3/4 User myself, I notice his green ability does look into avoid any spaces that consist his own team ability. ( I have test it myself and seem he can easily get 4 tiles at one go)
    With both strike Green / Black tiles, he bring his team overall deal damage at least 300+ (if we are talking abt max lvl)

Kind of regret..but well all his ability is useful but they have to be MAX then it will show his beauty..for me I have no choice but go for 3/5/5 for now... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I'm not too keen on level 5 red on punisher vs lvl 3 red. It's a 10% increase for the down effect. For someone with 20k health, that 10% difference amounts to 2k hp, which I don't think is that significant of a difference. Also, since his red relies on %, boosts don't really favor that skill (yea it has base damage, but that's not the strong point of the skill). Strong attack/strike tiles on the otherhand would be nice when the punisher is buffed.
    Finally, since the game is heading for slower matches, molotov cocktails will have more of an impact icon_e_wink.gif
  • With the current change on Ragnarok skill... and the game moving towards slower matches. I think the 5/5/3 option is more viable right now. Now u will spend more time trading 3 matches making the black countdown being triggered more and more. With 3 of his attack tiles on the board it make a good dmg, think it like u do a match, it does 300ish dmg then the attack tile will do about the same. So less 1 in the timer make some difference.

Remember that 2* Wolverine is in the black list now, i bet that his green cost will go up to 5 and they will decrease the strike tile power, i mean wolvie has 89 power... at level 85... and Punisher 109 power at level 145 (and being a 3*)... 20 dmg diference... doesnt make sense at all wolvie being so good. He is even better than his 4* version. So im sorry who didint maxed punisher Green, it will be highly desired.

Since the Ragnarok nerf.... well im not afraid of him anymore... before nerf he was on top of target list... now he isnt... even now in the The hunt: Ares event he is on the botton of the list... Ares is the top... At level 240, Ares is much more dangerous than him, cause for Ares u have to deny 3 color, eventually he will fire one of his skills, for ragnarok you have to deny only Red (his green still suck).... even Venon is more threatening, his devour can one shot my spider/punisher with around 4k health, but they can take 2 Rag red if it dont cascade too much.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    I think this actually speaks to MPQ's improvement in character design when after 10 pages there still isn't one "optimum" build that's agreed on
  • Puritas wrote:
    I think this actually speaks to MPQ's improvement in character design when after 10 pages there still isn't one "optimum" build that's agreed on

^This!
  • Spoit
    Honestly, most of the attack tile damage will be coming from being amplified by the strike tiles. I could see 5/5/3 or 3/5/5, but 5/3/5 doesn't make sense
  • I have had 5 in red for awhile, and just got my 5th green. No point going 4/4/5 so I guess I'm going 3/5/5.
  • jozier wrote:
    I have had 5 in red for awhile, and just got my 5th green. No point going 4/4/5 so I guess I'm going 3/5/5.

Love my 3/5/5. Honestly all I ask for from the black is one attack tile so I get the benefit of any strike tiles on the board twice per attack.
  • jozier wrote:
    I have had 5 in red for awhile, and just got my 5th green. No point going 4/4/5 so I guess I'm going 3/5/5.

Love my 3/5/5. Honestly all I ask for from the black is one attack tile so I get the benefit of any strike tiles on the board twice per attack.

They changed the 5th black cover right? Or does it still reduce countdown to 1? Either way, I think I'm fine with 3/5/5.