*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Options

Comments

• nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    Just wondering, on what is the dmg of the green skill based on? Just on the destroyed tiles, or...?

I have a lvl 40 punisher with 2 green covers and the atk did around 120dmg every time I tried... that was kinda low o.o
  • nihilium wrote:
    Just wondering, on what is the dmg of the green skill based on? Just on the destroyed tiles, or...?

I have a lvl 40 punisher with 2 green covers and the atk did around 120dmg every time I tried... that was kinda low o.o

I'm pretty sure it's based on the dmg by clearing the 3 x 3 tiles.
  • noobpotato wrote:
    For people who have replaced 2* wolv w/ punisher - how do you feel? I currently have a 77 - 3/5/2 punisher and I pair him w/ a 63 - 5/3/5 2* wolvie.
    wolv's green cost of 3 is just too effective to ever use punisher for me.

What am I missing? There are very few times w/ Punisher that I get enough green to cast judgement without already accumulating some red - At that point, it'd be better to just spam feral claws.

Currently wolv's feral claw creates a 66? strike tile vs Punishers 64. (mind you punisher has 14 levels on wolvie..)

The only scenario I don't see this being better is if I hadn't accumulated any red, I am desperate to clear a countdown tile and want to get lucky, or there are no red tiles available to be converted to strike.

Thoughts?

Well...for one thing Wolvie is getting rebalanced (neutered), but the main thing to realize is 3* covers scale towards balance in their later levels. You're only halfway to max at this point. I pop out 3 100+ point strike tiles per cast, which is worth around 4.5 of Wolvies. I also like Frank's black way better than anything else Wolvie brings to the table, and his red is situational but useful
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    noobpotato wrote:
    For people who have replaced 2* wolv w/ punisher - how do you feel? I currently have a 77 - 3/5/2 punisher and I pair him w/ a 63 - 5/3/5 2* wolvie.

What am I missing? There are very few times w/ Punisher that I get enough green to cast judgement without already accumulating some red - At that point, it'd be better to just spam feral claws.

Currently wolv's feral claw creates a 66? strike tile vs Punishers 64. (mind you punisher has 14 levels on wolvie..)

The only scenario I don't see this being better is if I hadn't accumulated any red, I am desperate to clear a countdown tile and want to get lucky, or there are no red tiles available to be converted to strike.

Thoughts?

Well...for one thing Wolvie is getting rebalanced (neutered), but the main thing to realize is 3* covers scale towards balance in their later levels. You're only halfway to max at this point. I pop out 3 100+ point strike tiles per cast, which is worth around 4.5 of Wolvies. I also like Frank's black way better than anything else Wolvie brings to the table, and his red is situational but useful

Thanks for that. I'm currently just running both now until wolv gets neutered.
  • Punisher' set is very neatly tied together - his green boosts damage for red and black (and since black is AoE, that makes very nice combo) AND clears way for new cascades/matches, not to mention dropping tiles on random basic instead of "only red" for Wolv; his black aside from direct damage pops attack tiles, thus increading damage per turn w/ strike tiles from green, and red being cheap and neat end-move.
    BTW, with current direction of game-design (6AP being fastest move) his 7-8AP moves make him quite fast character.
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    Punisher' set is very neatly tied together - his green boosts damage for red and black (and since black is AoE, that makes very nice combo) AND clears way for new cascades/matches, not to mention dropping tiles on random basic instead of "only red" for Wolv; his black aside from direct damage pops attack tiles, thus increading damage per turn w/ strike tiles from green, and red being cheap and neat end-move.
    BTW, with current direction of game-design (6AP being fastest move) his 7-8AP moves make him quite fast character.

I think that's true - 8ap feels fast - just slow compared to wolv icon_razz.gif
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    Punisher' set is very neatly tied together - his green boosts damage for red and black (and since black is AoE, that makes very nice combo) AND clears way for new cascades/matches, not to mention dropping tiles on random basic instead of "only red" for Wolv; his black aside from direct damage pops attack tiles, thus increading damage per turn w/ strike tiles from green, and red being cheap and neat end-move.

Just one point, I don't find the random strike tiles to be a benefit over just red. Often they drop in a place you have to try to defend from being immediately matched as opposed to just separating reds on the board. Not a HUGE deal, but I actually find it easier to manage/protect the red strike tiles than a bunch of randoms
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    GEFPenst wrote:

Just one point, I don't find the random strike tiles to be a benefit over just red. Often they drop in a place you have to try to defend from being immediately matched as opposed to just separating reds on the board. Not a HUGE deal, but I actually find it easier to manage/protect the red strike tiles than a bunch of randoms

Plus - I feel like chaos has killed my own strike tiles before. icon_e_sad.gif
  • noobpotato wrote:
    _fulu_ wrote:
    GEFPenst wrote:

Plus - I feel like chaos has killed my own strike tiles before. icon_e_sad.gif

It definitely happens, but its not as awful as a lot of people make it out to be
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm so torn, i have him at 343 right now, hoping to get more covers from the divine champs tourny. I have 90k iso i can pump into him but i'm not sure he's worth the investment. I'd like to have a high level 3* but not sure he's good enough. I'm also leaning towards a 553 build. I like the idea of pumping out 100 damage attack tiles every turn. His red seems underwhelming , would rather just use wolvies red instead. Would any of you high level Punisher users recommend him? I'd probably be teaming him up with wolvie and ares, maybe modern black widow or modern storm.
  • noobpotato wrote:

Thoughts?

You re not missing anything but, like the rest of us, will be missing Wolvie when they put him down... Punisher may take his place. Wish they would do it already so we could make more informed decisions.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thanos wrote:
    I'm so torn, i have him at 343 right now, hoping to get more covers from the divine champs tourny. I have 90k iso i can pump into him but i'm not sure he's worth the investment. I'd like to have a high level 3* but not sure he's good enough. I'm also leaning towards a 553 build. I like the idea of pumping out 100 damage attack tiles every turn. His red seems underwhelming , would rather just use wolvies red instead. Would any of you high level Punisher users recommend him? I'd probably be teaming him up with wolvie and ares, maybe modern black widow or modern storm.

Just fyi, it's not every turn, it's every other turn (lvl 5 = 2 turn CD tile, other levels= 3 turn CD tile).

Here's my take on it so far.

Pros for Punisher Red:
    Wolvie 2* is getting nerfed, his red damage might change. Punisher's red base damage is fairly competitive with wolvie 2* per ap value (max lvl vs max lvl).
    Lower red ap cost means more chances to proc strike tiles.
    You only need one attack tile really to benefit from the strike tiles.
    The AOE of punisher's black skill really would benefit from strike tiles (and I don't think level 4 and 5 of black increases the aoe dmg.
    Pumping out a lot of attack tiles means having to protect the CD tile.
    10% difference between 30% and 40% for the down effect is worth around 1k-2k damage for buffed enemies. While it does not seem that much, every turn against boosted pve enemies is crucial, and those few turns may be life or death.
    % means a lower level punisher can still down tough baddies.

Pros for Punisher Black:
    More attack tile damage and lower CD means higher chance of getting out a few attack tiles.
    Black skill is worth more the longer you can protect the CD.
    Slower match pace means more time for black skill to propagate.
    "There may be other better red skills"
    % on red means it can't be boosted.
    10% is not that much unless against buffed enemies.

Honestly, I'm want to see what wolvie 4* becomes to determine my main strike tile guy.
  • Thanks for the good summary eidehua. I think I agree with your list. Personally, I went 3/5/5 because I think it's the best balance/versatility. When the character was first announced, I was completely on board with the 5/5/3 build, but when they raised the countdown at level 5 to 2 turns instead of 1, I think that turned him into a more specialized build. The real key to his black is getting ONE attack tile out there to trigger his strike tiles. Obviously more is better, but the marginal benefits are small. As you noted, the marginal benefit of 3 vs. 5 red isn't exactly huge either, but I think it makes for character who can adapt to more situations. His red isn't great at raw damage but considering the 40% effect, if that's your worst color power, you're probably going to dominate. Black suffers from a lack of competition, so even 3 black is likely better than whatever your other teammates are bringing to the table.

Essentially, I think 3/5/5 results in a "jack of all trades, master of none" type build - many other characters will be able to eclipse each single ability but few will make a better choice for variety and allowing you more choice in which characters you pair him with.
  • The big question is when will you use him mainly? For me it is for pve and as such I regret not going 5/3/5 in those situations. Mine is 3/5/5 and I really like the 40%. Heck boosted thor got blown away by frank in DC tourney as a result and I rarely use his green bc of its randomness or I am running spidey.
  • The big question is when will you use him mainly? For me it is for pve and as such I regret not going 5/3/5 in those situations. Mine is 3/5/5 and I really like the 40%. Heck boosted thor got blown away by frank in DC tourney as a result and I rarely use his green bc of its randomness or I am running spidey.

For me it's when I'm forced to use him icon_e_smile.gif. This may change post funbalence.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Im looking to level him post funbalance as a replacement for wolvie, which means hes going to be on both my pvp and pve teams. He seems like a good utility/support character for buffed heros in pvp events and high level pvp events.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I actually don't know how much I'm going to use the Punisher. Maybe 4* wolvie becomes a beast.
    Although I would say that punisher's black can benefit from patch/xforce wolvie strike tiles more than his own hah.
  • eidehua wrote:
    I actually don't know how much I'm going to use the Punisher. Maybe 4* wolvie becomes a beast.
    Although I would say that punisher's black can benefit from patch/xforce wolvie strike tiles more than his own hah.

This 100%...Punisher's green is good, but compared to either wolverine it's not very good at all [we are all just insanely spoiled at this point]. Cast time takes too long. Very curious to see what they do to wolverine...Right now my 66 wolverine is outclassing my 79 punisher fairly easily. I can do a lot more setups and stockpiling strike tiles to 1hit ko w/ OBW is just toooo good right now.

I don't really see punisher ever becoming a wolvie replacement at this rate - although I do enjoy punisher a lot (he is my highest leveled character) - he's just too slow.
  • Wolverine is getting nerfed, though, for good reason. It's not fair to compare. You also have to remember that the effective level of a 3* is lower than that of a 2*, so a 79 Punisher is supposed to be around the same power level as a 70 Wolverine. My lv100 Punisher deals more damage than any maxed 2* not named Wolverine or Thor, and he and Patch will likely be the most reliable bruisers once the nerfs are completed.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    eidehua wrote:
    Thanos wrote:

Just fyi, it's not every turn, it's every other turn (lvl 5 = 2 turn CD tile, other levels= 3 turn CD tile).

Here's my take on it so far.

Pros for Punisher Red:
    Wolvie 2* is getting nerfed, his red damage might change. Punisher's red base damage is fairly competitive with wolvie 2* per ap value (max lvl vs max lvl).
    Lower red ap cost means more chances to proc strike tiles.
    You only need one attack tile really to benefit from the strike tiles.
    The AOE of punisher's black skill really would benefit from strike tiles (and I don't think level 4 and 5 of black increases the aoe dmg.
    Pumping out a lot of attack tiles means having to protect the CD tile.
    10% difference between 30% and 40% for the down effect is worth around 1k-2k damage for buffed enemies. While it does not seem that much, every turn against boosted pve enemies is crucial, and those few turns may be life or death.
    % means a lower level punisher can still down tough baddies.

Pros for Punisher Black:
    More attack tile damage and lower CD means higher chance of getting out a few attack tiles.
    Black skill is worth more the longer you can protect the CD.
    Slower match pace means more time for black skill to propagate.
    "There may be other better red skills"
    % on red means it can't be boosted.
    10% is not that much unless against buffed enemies.

Honestly, I'm want to see what wolvie 4* becomes to determine my main strike tile guy.

You want 5 red, 5 green, 3 black. Red will serve you more than black ever will. If you are fighting low level oppoentents sure, black may be better, but in buffed tourney's, lightning rounds, and those lvl 240 characters, Lvl 5 Red will be too invaluable. You get all the AoE damage from black at lvl 3, the rest is just bonus tile damage, which isn't a lot. If black was faster and kicked out more than 1 tile a turn, sure it might be worth it, but as is, go for Red