*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Options

Comments

• Punisher can work in basically any lineup, he's just an all-around damage dealing character. OBW has synergy with the strike tiles, and Thor has synergy because he makes a lot of green AP. Hood and Spider-Man could be good replacements for OBW, but they don't have the strike tile synergy, they just offer more raw AP steal/defense.

Magneto is very good with Punisher because of his blue to create cascades, but his red would destroy too many of your special tiles, so you'd want to go 5/3/5. A big problem with this combination is that you lack a big damage yellow or red, and you'll be clearing too much blue to make use of Mags purple, so Thor or Ares could make a good third.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well Punisher has an obvious synergy with OBW because she does double damage with her matches and his strike tiles help her a lot. Thor has the missing yellow skill for the line up and he is still a good character despite the nerfs. While he has no synergy with Frank and OBW Thor can do his own thing if things do not go according to plan.

I have also though about Patch as 3rd member as he can tank with his regen and his maxed out red can replace Punishers own usually quite lackluster red skill.

Also there is Daken who could also work with OBW and Punisher because mass strike tiles work great with OBW espionage and Franks black attack tiles.
  • I like OBW & Ares, but the correct answer is definitely "whoever you like". The point of Punisher, as far as I can see, is that he's a self-contained factory for most of the special offense in the game (strike, attack, AoE, conditional KO). Except maybe the KO, someone else does any of that better, but no one does all of it except him.

One thing I have been finding is that his strike tile generation is really quite lackluster. It's not that quick and apart from the countdown (converts a red basic) his special tiles are completely unpredictable, so prone to getting lost easily. So a green feeder is the choice if you want them working with him rather than next to him - Thor or Hulk I guess, maaaybe GSBW. Or a supplementary striker - have been wanting to try Daken like poomermon, despite his squishiness, but never leveled him. Don't like **Wolv for it because they both need green to make them.
  • ty guys for ur comments, very helpfull =) im gonne test severel things and maybe post my experience
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I run punisher mags hulk. Great synergy and high damage output. Other good characters are Hood and IM. IM more as a tank and a long term threat. Punisher is really a great character and works well with many teams.

If you don't have hulk Rags isn't a teribble option. With punisher strike tiles he can do plus 1000 damage and generate more green for more strike tiles.
  • Punisher hulk and patch.
    Hulk and wolverine shield him.
    Once you get 9-18 greens with 7-14 blacks =go
    You could also sub in obw for hulk too.
  • I've been pairing Punisher with Original Widow and Classic Spidey.

Seems to be working well so far.
  • Punisher, daredevil. Spiderman classic.

You have red to kill, blue to Stun, enemy can't match those colors in fear of blow up or more stuns.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    Wrestler wrote:
    hi guys, i just need 2 more covers to complete my punisher (3/5/5)
    now i want to know hat u guys think would be the best Lineup for him. saw many people say its OBW and Thor, but is this rly the best? what abbout Magneto or The Hood?

post what u guys think would be the best Charackters with Puniher and the build plz
    TY

I run that exact lineup, Hood, magneto and punisher. I personally love it
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Punisher is currently 3/1/2, and I had been originally planning a 5/3/5 build. I ended up going 3/5/5 on Patch, so now I feel like I'm caught between a few optimal builds.

Going to 5 in green on Frank is "better" Strike tile generation than Patch's Berserker Rage, I think. Both will generate 3 friendly tiles, Punisher's will be on random colours, Patch's will only land on Green (making it harder to recast later) and will also drop 3 enemy strikes on purple.

I'm starting to think 5 green is optimal, but now I have to decide between faster Molotov spread or earlier execute for Red. I'm leaning towards a 3/5/5 build, as I don't think I'll be pairing Patch and Punisher as often as I had originally planned. I also don't think that I should be relying on Moltov + Strike tiles as the crux of my build. I also thought I would have bit more time to consider, but, of course, I just pulled a Black Punisher cover from a Heroic token.

I get the impression that Black v Red comes down to PvP v PvE usefulness, particularly for defense; I don't know if the AI is smart enough to use the execute properly.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    My Punisher is currently 3/1/2, and I had been originally planning a 5/3/5 build. I ended up going 3/5/5 on Patch, so now I feel like I'm caught between a few optimal builds.

Going to 5 in green on Frank is "better" Strike tile generation than Patch's Berserker Rage, I think. Both will generate 3 friendly tiles, Punisher's will be on random colours, Patch's will only land on Green (making it harder to recast later) and will also drop 3 enemy strikes on purple.

I'm starting to think 5 green is optimal, but now I have to decide between faster Molotov spread or earlier execute for Red. I'm leaning towards a 3/5/5 build, as I don't think I'll be pairing Patch and Punisher as often as I had originally planned. I also don't think that I should be relying on Moltov + Strike tiles as the crux of my build. I also thought I would have bit more time to consider, but, of course, I just pulled a Black Punisher cover from a Heroic token.

I get the impression that Black v Red comes down to PvP v PvE usefulness, particularly for defense; I don't know if the AI is smart enough to use the execute properly.
    As far as I can tell the AI won't save execute. I took a 5/5/3 Frank just because the execute didn't sound that appealing to me.
    I like his green just because it's a bit of a fun gamble as to what Frank's gonna end up destroying.
    On a side note I really wish they would give Daken something more or have a different skin/cover for him. Maybe they'll have an event where he gets a 3rd ability/Muramasa Claw.
  • I've come full circle on this.

I'm back to the conclusion 3/5/5 is optimal overall. If spiderman stayed blue or there was another character that allowed stunlock then 5/5/3 would be obese. The difference between 30% and 40% is not that large EXCEPT for 240 avengers very random pve parts.

In theory if you run w/ patch - for PVP - unless there is a lot of setup, you are not going to want to open w/ Patch greens because you are at a disadvantage being on offense.
    Punisher fits well into almost any comp as he has all his own mechanics built into him - strike tile generation, snowball effect w/ moltov, aoe effect. And of course his strike tile generation does seem a tad week compared to Patch and the old wolverine - but he's just so versatile.

I think if you did have a specific combo in mind or were always going to run patch - obviously there are variations that are more optimal, but unless you are 100% sure that's going to happen I feel like 3/5/5 is safest overall for pvp and pve and longevity.
  • Judging by Thor tourney, Punisher' red is really underappreciated - it immensely helps against buffed characters, especially against powerhouse that is buffed Thor. I even racked some defensive victories with him (my Thor is less than maxed in abilities and only L35), so I guess AI after all knows how to execute.
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    Judging by Thor tourney, Punisher' red is really underappreciated - it immensely helps against buffed characters, especially against powerhouse that is buffed Thor. I even racked some defensive victories with him (my Thor is less than maxed in abilities and only L35), so I guess AI after all knows how to execute.
    I think we do tend to forget how often 200% and even 300% buffs make it helpful in PvP. My patience wouldn't have held out for even a couple of tokens & some ISO from God of Thunder without it. I think he's somewhat surprisingly good for defensive wins because people are prone to underestimate him. He has no flashy big hitters, Retribution under the right conditions aside, but does add black offense to the usual suspects and has a way of wearing you down before you notice you're in trouble.

It didn't know what Retribution is for last I saw it use it, though that was a couple of patches ago. It used the same logic as nearly everything (if more expensive skill in team on same color, wait for unknown condition, maybe just RNG call, else use as soon as available). What can happen is it just lucks into using it at the right moment, which I believe once killed my Thor, much like AI Moonstone occasionally manages a match with Gravity Warp. There are probably others, but the only case I'm certain the AI knows what the skill it's using does is Trickery. You can still bait it with one strike or protect and then pop 10, but at least it tries. Does AI Wolvie still use Adamantium Slash THEN Feral Claws? That always made me want to strangle a kitten every time I saw it.
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    I run that exact lineup, Hood, magneto and punisher. I personally love it

Currently going with Punisher/Mags/Spidey as my A team. Color rainbow in terms of tiles and powers.

But if Spidey is changed significantly I love using Hood with anyone and his yellow would be a nice fit with this team. The loss of Spidey to tank purple for Mags would suck but he might be radically different as well so oh well.

I'm going to enjoy using these three together while I can.
  • Gonna be wishing I went 3/5/5 against all these 16k health Hulks in the new Lightning Rounds, that's for sure.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am having a lot of trouble with Punisher red execution power, I don't know why but he NEVER finishes the other character. I thought this power worked like this:

The enemy has 3 characters with 1000 life each. I use the ability with the first one, the ability does 800 hit points, so he is now 200. Well under his 30 %. so he should die doens't it?

Or all the characters should be under 30% of their life ? Or he should be under 30% before i shoot him ? I don't know if this is a bug or what but it never works :S

PD: 30% beacuse I have 3 reds (5/5/3)
  • Polares wrote:
    I am having a lot of trouble with Punisher red execution power, I don't know why but he NEVER finishes the other character. I thought this power worked like this:

The enemy has 3 characters with 1000 life each. I use the ability with the first one, the ability does 800 hit points, so he is now 200. Well under his 30 %. so he should die doens't it?

Or all the characters should be under 30% of their life ? Or he should be under 30% before i shoot him ? I don't know if this is a bug or what but it never works :S

It's damage OR execution. If lower than 30% - execute, if higher - damage. Otherwise he would be too broken to not use.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GEFPenst wrote:
    Polares wrote:

It's damage OR execution. If lower than 30% - execute, if higher - damage. Otherwise he would be too broken to not use.

Ok, then he should be at 30% of his life BEFORE I use the power. Thanxs!!!
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GEFPenst wrote:
    Judging by Thor tourney, Punisher' red is really underappreciated - it immensely helps against buffed characters, especially against powerhouse that is buffed Thor. I even racked some defensive victories with him (my Thor is less than maxed in abilities and only L35), so I guess AI after all knows how to execute.

I agree, but even in regular events. 5340 is the HP of both Ares and Thor, two commonly seen foes. the 10% difference is huge even at those small numbers. Considering you can down them at 1602 or 2136? That's a big difference. Now you take those 11400 lvl 230 guys and being able to down them at 4560 vs. 3420 is the difference in a game a lot of times. While I like the Molotov countdown, (not sure why it says 2 turn when it's really 3 turn) you use it more for the intial damage, not the damage tiles, while nice I don't count on it