Juggernaut Heroic (June 23 to Jule 25)

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Perhaps they should rename this the 20 ISO tournament. I forgot how stupid this game is to troll out 20 ISO when 3 of 4 rewards are still available.
  • Unknown
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    Perhaps they should rename this the 20 ISO tournament. I forgot how stupid this game is to troll out 20 ISO when 3 of 4 rewards are still available.

"Much like we've found that our players enjoy spending $70 and opening 42 packs which could be all 3* characters, or could be 42 Bagmen, instead of a guaranteed featured character, we've found that our players are much happier and engaged when they only have a small chance of getting the listed prizes. By offering an unlisted 20 ISO prize, we keep the game fresh and exciting for our players."
  • Unknown
    Options
    I already feel like I'm struggling to keep going with this event. I want to get She-Hulk covers, but I can pretty much only get what... maybe 3-4 games in at a time before I have to wait for several hours, since there isn't any healing available in this event. Combine that with the scaling quickly getting higher and higher and getting too many of those stupid games where the computer keeps getting perfect cascades, it's not very easy to enjoy this one.

Just checked the board, and I'm at 324 and about 10K behind 1st place. with the bigger nodes being with 1000+ points, I guess I could try to keep myself in it.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I already commented once on this thread that this a dry run for when healing gets broken. I'm sure they're collecting statistics on health pack purchases.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Healing is pretty much all or nothing in these heroic events. Either you're strong enough to do without it, or if you need it you'd have most of your characters wiped out by the nasty combos and then you'd have nobody to heal. The game already computes the result in the middle of a bad cascade, so it's not enough to quit the game while you see an imminent beatdown coming. Given the uncertain nature of many of the fights (e.g. versus The Hood/Muscle/Jugg, killing The Hood isn't enough to guarantee victory, but you sure won't be quitting after you take him down unless it looks absolutely hopeless), prologue healing would be prohibitive in most cases.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Healing is pretty much all or nothing in these heroic events. Either you're strong enough to do without it, or if you need it you'd have most of your characters wiped out by the nasty combos and then you'd have nobody to heal. The game already computes the result in the middle of a bad cascade, so it's not enough to quit the game while you see an imminent beatdown coming. Given the uncertain nature of many of the fights (e.g. versus The Hood/Muscle/Jugg, killing The Hood isn't enough to guarantee victory, but you sure won't be quitting after you take him down unless it looks absolutely hopeless), prologue healing would be prohibitive in most cases.
    Well you can still retreat when you see a flamethrower or tommy gun about to go off. Or when ares/juggs gets a metric ton of red/green
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Well you can still retreat when you see a flamethrower or tommy gun about to go off. Or when ares/juggs gets a metric ton of red/green

Sure but those alone isn't that threatening. What I find that wipes you is say you end your turn, a random CD goes off and then you see a massive cascade, and you realize they can light you up with all the AP they're about to get. If you tried to hit quit at this point, it's still too late because the game already accounted for all the damage the AI will do, and you'd still end up with your roster dead even if you hit quit with more than 1/3 health left.

Now of course you could retreat earlier than that, but you'd be spending a lot of time retreating in this event because it takes very little for the AI to get a threatening move off.
  • Moon Roach
    Options
    I'll try to articulate what I mean a little better.

On none of the modes in this PvE can you select a character that allows healing. Previously, even if I didn't use OBW all the time, if my roster got chewed I could go to one of the easier nodes and heal up with OBW before hitting the hard ones again, at least gaining a few points in the process. Here I can't do that. I have to use prologue healing or take a chance on getting an easy target in PvP. (And they're taking that away too.)

So, to progress here I can wait or I can use a healing pack or two or three. And then I have to wait anyway or spend HP. So, it's True Healing brought forward.

Maybe I'm too new here to know that there have been other events where healing characters were banned. It just seems a tad coincidental.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:

On none of the modes in this PvE can you select a character that allows healing. Previously, even if I didn't use OBW all the time, if my roster got chewed I could go to one of the easier nodes and heal up with OBW before hitting the hard ones again, at least gaining a few points in the process. Here I can't do that. I have to use prologue healing or take a chance on getting an easy target in PvP. (And they're taking that away too.)

So, to progress here I can wait or I can use a healing pack or two or three. And then I have to wait anyway or spend HP. So, it's True Healing brought forward.

Maybe I'm too new here to know that there have been other events where healing characters were banned. It just seems a tad coincidental.

Healing characters are almost always banned in limited roster PvE event for rather obvious reasons.

The missions in these events are designed so that you have a high chance of completely wiping out on them, making prologue healing irrelevent. Sure, you can quit the moment one of character is about to get below 1/3, but if you do that you'd almost never come close to beating the hardest missions.

Healing matters more for some of the mid range nodes in the middle section of the map, but those aren't the big point ones and they probably don't care too much if you prologue healed your way. The hard missions on the bottom right (and upper right missions are far harder than their levels would indicate) are relatively healing proof. You either get a great start and win comfortably, or you barely win with only a guy left, or you don't win at all.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Sure but those alone isn't that threatening. What I find that wipes you is say you end your turn, a random CD goes off and then you see a massive cascade, and you realize they can light you up with all the AP they're about to get. If you tried to hit quit at this point, it's still too late because the game already accounted for all the damage the AI will do, and you'd still end up with your roster dead even if you hit quit with more than 1/3 health left.

Now of course you could retreat earlier than that, but you'd be spending a lot of time retreating in this event because it takes very little for the AI to get a threatening move off.
    Wait, I thought that moving ended the ai turn, so the damage from countdowns and powers wouldn't go through until the next turn?
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Are players already starting to get hit by scaling? Or is it the available roster that is affecting placement? I've made one pass on the nodes today and that was a few hours ago...I haven't seen my placement drop more than a few rankings...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Wait, I thought that moving ended the ai turn, so the damage from countdowns and powers wouldn't go through until the next turn?

I mean a scenario like this. Say you've a pretty tight game, so you see something fairly tame like Assault Rifle about to go off, but you know you can take one, so you end your turn. Assault Rifle goes off, and you hear the music start playing from cascades and you realize that enough tiles have been destroyed that the AI is about to totally demolish you. Now, since the tiles haven't even finished cascading, I used to try to hit pause immediately and quit and see if I can avoid the impending doom. But every time I tried that I just ended up with everyone dead, which suggests the AI already have all their moves queued up even before the cascade finishes.

Of course you can still quit before ending your turn and only take the usual 1/3, but the AI in this event is capable of pulling a lot of crazy combos that playing conservatively like that means you'd be spending an awful a lot of time prologue healing and missing a lot of potentially good opportunities. But that also means it's too late for you to quit when you get an end of turn CD that leads to a massive cascade.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Are players already starting to get hit by scaling? Or is it the available roster that is affecting placement? I've made one pass on the nodes today and that was a few hours ago...I haven't seen my placement drop more than a few rankings...

It'd be weird if most people can reliably beat the bottom right missions, and the upper right missions are by no means pushover despite the low levels since the AI has some of the best teams they can get to make up for the low levels.
  • Moon Roach
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:

Healing characters are almost always banned in limited roster PvE event for rather obvious reasons.

The missions in these events are designed so that you have a high chance of completely wiping out on them, making prologue healing irrelevent. Sure, you can quit the moment one of character is about to get below 1/3, but if you do that you'd almost never come close to beating the hardest missions.

Healing matters more for some of the mid range nodes in the middle section of the map, but those aren't the big point ones and they probably don't care too much if you prologue healed your way. The hard missions on the bottom right (and upper right missions are far harder than their levels would indicate) are relatively healing proof. You either get a great start and win comfortably, or you barely win with only a guy left, or you don't win at all.

So, no big conspiracy. How disappointing. This is the first one of these since I had an OBW I could use, I guess I hadn't noticed previously that I couldn't use her.

I like being able to use the 1* BW and IM 35 in the easy nodes. Takes me back to the heady days of a couple of months or so ago when they were the best I had.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I already commented once on this thread that this a dry run for when healing gets broken. I'm sure they're collecting statistics on health pack purchases.

I really hope very few people are buying Health Packs during this event.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    RichHurtz wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:

I really hope very few people are buying Health Packs during this event.
    I'm not - never have and that's not going to change.

I'm hitting the top right row every couple of hours as hard as my health pack supply will allow and I'm not even close to getting a Shulk cover at the moment. I'm leaving the bottom row alone - L130+ Ares/Daken fights are not worth the hassle.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The bottom right missions take more than just prologue healing to beat anyway. They're just downright brutal.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wow my bottom row enemies' levels are increasing without me hitting any nodes in the whole map...
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks to switching to a super casualised approach about 2 or 3 events ago, and a relatively fortunate lineup of the limited characters, I'm actually having a grand old time.

Currently sitting at #2 in my bracket with just short of 25000 pts.
    Using IM40 (80->170), HT (72->102) and CStorm (61->101). When in doubt, Recharge to feed HT Red and CStorm Blue.
    Only just starting to have some problems with the Daken nodes now (~L130), but still quite a few nodes that are Trivial/Grey. Nothing higher than Normal/Yellow.

Don't think it should be too hard to sustain for the next ~24 hours, so hopefully I'll end up with some She-Hulk covers. Not chasing yellows for XForce, so anywhere in top 10 will be fine by me.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I join this event about 1.5 hours ago thinking I should get a more relaxed bracket. Imagine my surprise to see my bracket leader is already at 22k! At first I find this ridiculous but an hour later after one complete pass through every node I made it to 18,300 and was like top 15, so maybe I shouldn't complain. Rubberband seems pretty strong in this one.

Side note - hi Sumilea, looks like we had similar late-joining ideas icon_e_biggrin.gif