Suddenly...weekly boosted 5*s

Options
14567810»

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Speaking of Banner - is he still boosted in Hulkform, or did that old bug revert back into the mainline?
    Just tested -- the Hulk is NOT boosted, looks like they forgot that again (iirc the Hulk is actually treated as a different character, he needs to appear in the list to be boosted).  When Banner transforms he reverts to whatever unboosted level Banner is on your roster.

I guess all those "fun" Banner teams will have to wait for next time.
    If they boosted Hulk without boosting Banner, would anyone notice?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This week will be much different than last week, in that these guys have high match damage but also seem to have powers that are actually worth casting. 

At lvl648 Goblin's black does 103,533 damage so it'll oneshot some of the bigger Okoyes (although not 550s, I think).  His red pumpkin bombs do 45,878 each.  Cap's damage powers are not as high but still pretty decent.

This week will be different because you only get to use the boosts 2 out of 3 events!

In the first event - I saw many, many fewer teams running the boosted 5*. This is probably a timing/vault thing - you get OML in the occasional fan-favorite vaults, OML/PHx come up early on in daily rewards. So players that have played for 3 years might have those earliest ones champed - but not the ones from 4-5 years ago.

...which goes to my earlier comment, that players like Entrailbucket (I have one in-alliance that's an old-schooler with big Cap and was super excited for this week) will be thrilled to be able to play with their giant old 5*'s for a week or two....and then they'll go back to being frustrated when the newer, stronger 5*'s have their boosts. You think someone whose biggest characters were Goblin/Cap was frustrated BEFORE when playing against equal level Okoye or BRB or Kitty or Apocalypse? Glad they can take out their frustrations for a week....but they are going to have several weeks of worse frustrations coming.

There's a reason that Goblin/Banner/Cap/Ock don't see much play, even by those who had the giant versions before. They have been outclassed....badly....by many of the modern 5*'s. I've watched 570+ old-school struggle against newer 500+ these first two weeks.

Still would seem to make more sense to balance characters rather than give them rare/occasional godboost them. Make those with big Goblin/Cap play more often than one-in-fourteen weeks.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If someone went all in on Goblin or Cap then yeah, they're gonna be in trouble aside from their boost week.  (Although, those guys being usable for one week is better than before, when they were usable for zero weeks)  But I didn't do that.  I'm going to have a lvl600+ character for like another 6 weeks or something. 

I think they're trying to encourage people not to go all in.  Of course, there's still one rather large Okoye-shaped problem with that strategy, but maybe that will change sometime soon.

The other thing about the really good characters is that they're mostly as good at 450 as they are at 550.  It's not like I don't have Okoye at all, so I imagine I'll be fine when she's boosted.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think they're trying to encourage people not to go all in.  Of course, there's still one rather large Okoye-shaped problem with that strategy, but maybe that will change sometime soon.

Bet they'd have less complaints if they had encouraged that six years ago.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess we all got to play with 550 Banner if we wanted - Balance of Power ruining it for those who were enjoying their week 2 boost!
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BOP and apocalypse event. The golden week for banner's users has shortened to a half week. 
    Surely banner's users wont start a big uproar.
  • DAZ0273
    edited June 2021
    Options
    So with Iceman bumping Thanos, the boost weekly list (assuming they don't give him two weeks) might look something like this (Edited, assumed Pride characters only get 1 buff week):
    1) OML, PhX, SS, BSSM
    2) GG, IM, CW Cap, Banner
    3) BB, BW, Strange, Iceman
    4) Thanos, BP, HE, SL,
    5) Doc Oc, PPSM, DD, Gambit,
    6) Thor AA, GR, JJ, Daken
    7) JJ, Beardcap Okoye, Wasp, Loki,
    8) Loki, Kitty, Cable, KP, GED,
    9) GED, CM, Hela, Rescue, Storm,
    10) Storm, PX, Carbage, BRB, Sinister
    11) Sinister, Havok, iHulk, Yelena, Apoc
    12) Apoc, Onslaught, KM, OMD, Heimdall
    13)  DP, Magneto, Adam, YJ
    14) Cyclops, Colossus, Wanda, Knull
    15.) Ronan

Week 10 might be different if they double up on Iceman as we would lose Sinister which potentially leaves us with an Iceman/PX/Carbage/BRB which sounds a bit nasty - glad I have two of those champed and Ice at 12 covers!

• Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OMD is also getting a boost for Pride, so that will affect the running order as well.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Ah, right, didn't see that. So Daken potentially affects week 6
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    It says a lot about the older boosted 5*s when I still find it easier/quicker to bring 50Thor/Apoc in the PVE pick two for the essential nodes.  I have all the 5s champed/boosted and tried it but is was still way slower than the old standby I normally use.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It says a lot about the older boosted 5*s when I still find it easier/quicker to bring 50Thor/Apoc in the PVE pick two for the essential nodes.  I have all the 5s champed/boosted and tried it but is was still way slower than the old standby I normally use.
    Well that sounds obvious. Okoye and apoc have some of the best powers for boosting allies power damages. Especially AOE ones like halfthor  

Older 5s having a boost of 1k-2k match damage is not comparable to that :P 
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3* & 4* nodes I agree and have been using Apoc & Thor still

Having the boosts on the 5* and Challenge have been a nice help.  On the Pick 3 harder nodes, I've been using the boosts over Thorkoye.  Though I still find myself including 50Thor to speed up the AP gain.

In Webbed Wonder Dr S got a lot of use with all the goons.  DP, I'm using Thor/Ice/JJ which is pretty quick.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Srheer0 said:
    Well that sounds obvious. Okoye and apoc have some of the best powers for boosting allies power damages. Especially AOE ones like halfthor  

I find the match damage wasn't as big a problem as their powers.  The powers themselves aren't comparable at all to Apoc (or others).  BB takes a long time to generate and his "boost level" power is basically useless.  Iceman is great for stunning but his green can be random.  Strange is decent, but since he tanks his Blue/Yellow/Purple when boosted he can quickly get taken out.  JJ is probably the best but her black and red (even boosted) take longer to generate and don't do the same damage as Apoc.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Iceman/Thor/Okoye even un-boosted is a very fast and reliable challenge node team. Having Chavez boosted at the same time has been interesting for me also, since that's my only max-champ 4*.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Thor's boost week will be interesting. Mine is champed whereas my Okoye is not so I use him with Apoc who tanks most things but I am guessing that wont be the case that week. I don't know what Thor's health looks like at 550 and above and how much half of that would be but with other boosted 5's and Thor's own aoe he might be very vulnerable on offence unless you have a big enough Okoye or Apoc to hide him behind and dangerous on defence where he will have full health and god boosted powers that the AI might not screw up.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Thor's boost week will be interesting. Mine is champed whereas my Okoye is not so I use him with Apoc who tanks most things but I am guessing that wont be the case that week. I don't know what Thor's health looks like at 550 and above and how much half of that would be but with other boosted 5's and Thor's own aoe he might be very vulnerable on offence unless you have a big enough Okoye or Apoc to hide him behind and dangerous on defence where he will have full health and god boosted powers that the AI might not screw up.
    You'll have your pick of Old Man Daken or Ghost Rider: Robbie Reyes to hide him behind if you choose to run him (assuming the revised schedule holds). I'm not sure which of those two is going to be more interesting. GRRR is slow, but he'll hit like a truck when boosted for sure. OMD, being wildly newer, may be more interesting just due to power creep and an okay-ish true heal.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Srheer0 said:

I find the match damage wasn't as big a problem as their powers.  The powers themselves aren't comparable at all to Apoc (or others).  BB takes a long time to generate and his "boost level" power is basically useless.  Iceman is great for stunning but his green can be random.  Strange is decent, but since he tanks his Blue/Yellow/Purple when boosted he can quickly get taken out.  JJ is probably the best but her black and red (even boosted) take longer to generate and don't do the same damage as Apoc.
    This is less an "old 5*s" problem and more a "Thor/Apocalypse/Okoye" problem.  Those guys and maybe a couple of others are going to be better than *any* 5* boosted +100lvls, not just the old terrible guys.