Suddenly...weekly boosted 5*s

Options

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Lol. Even at one cover, boosted 5* characters are insane with Chavez. Even 4* champs are extremely vulnerable. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

As you get over 600 and closer to 672 (which is the boosted max) things get absolutely *insane* very quickly, for even the worst characters.

Of course, nobody else has these characters at those levels, so everyone is missing out on the fun!

I can imagine it, I saw a silver surfer 670 and he has 265k health.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Guys, if anyone was wondering, if you have a boosted OML that's now 500ish and you take on a lv 360 Onslaught then because of RNG Onslaught will still tear through your OML.

Me: Hmm. Oh here's a red match.
    Onslaught: CASCADE TIME!
    Me: Seriously? Fine, OML will heal so it's ok. Black match.
    Onslaught: CASCADE TIME!
    Me: Son of a TALOS I hate this game. Stupid RNG.
    Just wait until Prof X is boosted...
    Think I'm gonna go on vacation that week.
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Bad said:

As you get over 600 and closer to 672 (which is the boosted max) things get absolutely *insane* very quickly, for even the worst characters.

Of course, nobody else has these characters at those levels, so everyone is missing out on the fun!

Apocalypse, Colossus and Knull walk into the bar...
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I just checked.  4* players will see a minimum level of 368 to 400+ boosted 5* characters. It's fortunate those 5* hitpoint still look weak (~30k). In the coming days where stronger 5* are boosted, I think 3* or 4* players will be greatly affected, especially when it's boosting popular 5*.

Match-damage wise, it's approximately 800-1k per match-3. A pick 2 of full health non boosted baby champed 4* will probably need to use healthpacks more often. 

I think you will see higher level because I remember your 4* levels are pretty high as well.

This solidifies the fact that MMR does not take boosting into account.
    I ran into a couple of just hey I'm gonna just back out real quick situations.  Definitely made me pick targets much more carefully.  Where usually I just feast on a 1 or 2 color 5* I was suddenly looking at 80-100k health pool and just quitting.  It wasn't unplayable but I definitely found myself taking a lot more skips to do my normal routine.  Single cover 5*s are bad with the boost but if they are leveled and have 3+ covers it goes from a match that can be won with maybe 1 health pack to a strong chance of wiping and using 3 all while losing points.  Worst match I saw had a Surfer and Jean with over 100k with a maxed Quake ~ 50k.  Took the L and backed out after 1 mini cascade.  

Match damage is just so brutal that even with IF and Hulkbuster and a champed Quake I was just too outclassed with any 3 color boosted 5.  Having said that I was still able to just spend some extra ISO and skip.  But MMR was definitely on hard mode for this one.  I'm a strictly 4* roster, none of my 5*s have any ISO invested and very few are covered enough to use.  In a normal PvP I run into plenty of single champed 5*s in my climb up to about 800 where I begin to see double champed 5*s.  Here I was seeing a lot more double 450+ 5s.  YMMV.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What levels are your top 5 characters? An 80k to 100k HP suggest that MMR are throwing closed to champed 5* at you, which is unusual, unless you are referring to retal nodes.

If you find these old batch of useless 5* brutal, I think you will probably tap out when 2018/2019 released characters get boosted. 

If 4* players have problems in PvP, 2* and 3* players will be affected even greatly. If there are a ton of new players complaining, I won't be surprised if they stop the boost afte a few PvP events.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Has anyone calculated what Sighclop’s boost does to these 5*? Perhaps this would be why it costs 7 yellow instead of a passive. 

I lost a full health Polaris to match-5 then critical one-cover OML, lol. There hasn’t been any complaints on Reddit as of yet, though I imagine lots of 3* players avoid PvP as a toxic wasteland as jerks like me keep sniping them. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,114 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BagPuss said:
    Bad said:

Apocalypse, Colossus and Knull walk into the bar...
    ...but Sighclops ducks under it. :)
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What levels are your top 5 characters? An 80k to 100k HP suggest that MMR are throwing closed to champed 5* at you, which is unusual, unless you are referring to retal nodes.

If you find these old batch of useless 5* brutal, I think you will probably tap out when 2018/2019 released characters get boosted. 

If 4* players have problems in PvP, 2* and 3* players will be affected even greatly. If there are a ton of new players complaining, I won't be surprised if they stop the boost afte a few PvP events.

Top 5 are 

Peggy 324
    Mordo 323
    Blade 314
    Agent Venom 313
    Medusa 310

Boosted this week gave me 

IF 390
    Hulkbuster 372
    All the boosted 5s at 368 ( i have all 4 unleveled)

You might be right about the 100k match being a retal i hit back without looking too hard.   Was seeing plenty of 80k OML/Jean/Surfer on yellow nodes though.   Again,  didn't stop me from hitting my usual score although I climbed a little earlier than usual.  But I did spend about twice the amount of ISO I average on skips.  
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I went to 575 early today using my normal Grocket/Polaris team (both around ~310) before Grocket succumbed to match damage.
    90% of the teams I saw were the normal ones I see (Polaris, Grocket, America, Kanak, Kitty, Medusa, BrB, Killmonger) with the exception that everyone rightly left Juggs on their bench due to Quake being boosted. The other 10% had one of the boosted 5* on them and even at L420 I could easily handle them (in fact I targeted them).
    So far no real difference as a 4* player other than it's very rare to see dual 4* teams now (Polaris/Grocket the exception) so you always have to eat a lot of match damage from the 5* even if they pose no real threat. I expect the rest of the climb to 900 to be similar but require a couple extra health packs due to 5* match damage.
    KGB
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This event is probably the most fun I've had in 7 years of playing MPQ.  With lvl672 OML and lvl668 Phoenix, I'm *trivially* beating everything, including the "meta" characters at 550. 

I downed a lvl550 Okoye on the first turn with one cascade.  I've won multiple fights against 500+ teams before they were able to move the board. 

Most fights I don't even have to cast a power, I just kill everyone with match damage.  I've done about 90 matches so far and haven't used a health pack yet.

If this keeps up it completely changes the game.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You must be looking forward to the boost week for Thanos.  Just breathe on the 3* essential and Court Death will take of everything else, including your own team.

Personally, whilst I have every 5* until Magneto champed and ready to go, I’m not thrilled by the huge boost.  Anything that makes PvP harder or more time consuming for me is a big negative (i.e. having to face 550+ continuously even if I have them to use myself).  Whilst I really don’t enjoy the Ihulk meta (or PvP at all for the most part) at least it is quick.

Another thought is that if boosted 5*s stay it’s going to make Wanda irrelevant.  Worst case scenario is the boosted 5* has to fire a power to finish her off, but most likely a few turns of match damage will do the job.  Makes me much less excited about unhoarding in a week or so once Sighclops leaves Latest tokens.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This event is probably the most fun I've had in 7 years of playing MPQ.  With lvl672 OML and lvl668 Phoenix, I'm *trivially* beating everything, including the "meta" characters at 550. 

I downed a lvl550 Okoye on the first turn with one cascade.  I've won multiple fights against 500+ teams before they were able to move the board. 

Most fights I don't even have to cast a power, I just kill everyone with match damage.  I've done about 90 matches so far and haven't used a health pack yet.

I'm being told that they're seeing wipe after wipe by you.  More than the typical event even.  You sure you're not using health packs?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His OML will heal back most match damage in one turn. 
  • entrailbucket
    edited May 2021
    Options

I'm being told that they're seeing wipe after wipe by you.  More than the typical event even.  You sure you're not using health packs?
    You've been...misinformed.

Edit: OH WAIT.  Have I been dumping on someone people actually know?  I'm enjoying this so much I've actually been hitting and dumping.  It's like 2016 all over again!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,918 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You definitely broke MMR and hit my team of…

loaner Quake
    level 273 Polaris
    level 74 Grocket

and did NOT dump (I think more than once)

I just looked at your roster and you have 16 5*s at level 500+. I’m a “champ em all” collector for sure, so I guess this change benefits me. But I also understand that not everyone has the choice to champ everyone and so being more selective about who to chase makes a ton of sense.

It’s like some rich person laughing at the misfortune of someone below the poverty line trying to figure out how to make their paycheck stretch… just not a good look. But, glad you’re having fun. 
    I do hope this boost list stays. If so, it might shake up my character rankings that tend to be more PVP-focused anyways; as some characters will benefit from major boosts over others. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    You definitely broke MMR and hit my team of…

loaner Quake
    level 273 Polaris
    level 74 Grocket

and did NOT dump (I think more than once)

I just looked at your roster and you have 16 5*s at level 500+. I’m a “champ em all” collector for sure, so I guess this change benefits me. But I also understand that not everyone has the choice to champ everyone and so being more selective about who to chase makes a ton of sense.

It’s like some rich person laughing at the misfortune of someone below the poverty line trying to figure out how to make their paycheck stretch… just not a good look. But, glad you’re having fun. 
    I do hope this boost list stays. If so, it might shake up my character rankings that tend to be more PVP-focused anyways; as some characters will benefit from major boosts over others. 
    Should've hit back!

Anyway, how do you think someone gets a roster like that?  I didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars, and in fact I've never been in a buyclub. I just allocated the same limited resources everyone else gets in a less "optimal" way. 

I see rosters like 550/460/460/450/270... all the time, and while that was the most optimal way to do things in the meta before Thursday happened, I think that's no longer the case, and those folks are now unable to recover from the mistake they've made, which was assuming that things would never change.

The simple fact is that everyone *does* have the ability to get a roster like mine.  It would take a very long time, and you'd miss out on good new characters, so I can understand why it's not for everyone, but it's not impossible. 

Over the course of many years, the 5cp difference in token cost adds up.  It also adds up to a ton of extra 4*, which created a token farm that allows me to cover all the Latest before they leave anyway.

While everyone else chased whoever the newest best guy was, I kept pulling for the old bad guys.  Why?  Well, partly because everyone told me not to, but partly it was in the hope that *this specific change* would happen someday!  So yes, I'm an insufferable jerk, but hopefully it's at least a little bit understandable.