New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    I mean hell just using Deadpool everyday to get whale points is a drag.
    You realize if you don't want the points you don't actually *have* to use Deadpool unless he's a required chracter, right?

I think the idea of the Targeted character using a Deadpool Points style event to get point is probably the best idea so far in the boards.  If you want the character to gain experience (covers) then you need to use them.  Maybe it will be a one-time only thing, like the Deadpool points.  Maybe it will be X points, depending on the difficulty of the node that you're going into.  One of the easy clear nodes in a PvE might be one point, while the maxed out SCL9 node might be 10.  Sure, using your 1/0/0 character is going to be annoying in the higher level nodes, but sometimes we're required to do that anyway.

If you can choose the cover, the first five stars I go for will be my 5/5/2 Daredevil to champ him, followed by my 5/0/1 Prof X.
    Yes, that's my point. Using one character every single day that's underpowered compared to others on my roster just so I can gain specific points turns into a chore. I would rather see something like if I want Namor's black cover then I select it and then anytime I draw a black cover from a pack  then I would gain some black experience points that would go towards getting his black cover. This way people could also target covers for characters that they don't even have rostered yet.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far as tying the feature to existing metrics, we know they know  how often characters are used from the Trivia we occasionally see, and of course the infamous OML nerf-splanation. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    As far as tying the feature to existing metrics, we know they know  how often characters are used from the Trivia we occasionally see, and of course the infamous OML nerf-splanation. 
    True, but there is the meta-data tracking (which apparently means a manual dive into their database) and then there's individual roster tracking and updating on a constant basis, where many people play 100+ matches a day, and all the data packets that would have to go back and forth from all those matches in terms of roster updating (XP per character).

And let's face it, the best course of action would be to keep running your meta teams to get them maxed and that's what anyone who's truly competitive would do.  So anyone who's not already running those meta people would be falling further behind in that scenario.  Doesn't seem smart from a developer's standpoint to bake in a system where the best rosters are simultaneously beating you and increasing their advantage over you as they do so.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this system isn't designed to help combat RNG and dilution then I fear it will simply be more giving to the already haves. It should be 100% about helping players complete characters in a more reasonable timeframe, not racking up champion levels. Assuming Bonus Heroes remain they can be deployed towards champion levels.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    @bluewolf I'm confident they have access to that data. I haven't had to use customer service for too much, but they seem able to skim events that have taken place in my play history. If a person can do that, it's a scriptable operation.

The usage-based growth model doesn't allow for an un-rostered character to be targeted either, which seems like a really huge disadvantage considering how many unfed 4s and 5s still exist. If the goal is to make a catch-up mechanic, there needs to be some avenue for 1st cover acquisition of a diluted character too. I suppose organic pull/bonus hero could be that, but it seems like you'd really want to be able to chase a character from un-rostered as a player.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    There are a ton of awesome ideas here, but I would be happy with a simple "every n pulls resulting in a _* character you get the character you designated for that * tier."  You could get more during the n pulls, but pull n is always the one you chose.  Color based on lowest first would be great, or I could be ok with 1,2,3 rotation.
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    I hope it's not like deadpool and have a limit per day would kind defeat the purpose... hope its more like gain exp points per use or per pull... within reason...
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the end of the day, I am curious on this time line that we get real information on how this works and the timeline for it to be rolled out.  
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2019
    It's a new feature
    It means more good covers
    I like it
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    If this system isn't designed to help combat RNG and dilution then I fear it will simply be more giving to the already haves. It should be 100% about helping players complete characters in a more reasonable timeframe, not racking up champion levels. Assuming Bonus Heroes remain they can be deployed towards champion levels.

Completely agree. The system should be ALL about completing chars that we have had in limbo for a while. Getting extra levels should not be a priority, at least in my book.

@IceIX give us more info, or at least, tell us when we will get the final info for the feature! We want to know!!!! :P
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    The idea that this needs to be a new system rather than doing something simple to an existing system (adding additional tiers to DDQ, slashing the price to direct buy covers with CP) has me apprehensive.  I need a bit clearer indication this is going to be a better way of acquiring characters, not just another way that isn't any better than the current system.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The idea that this needs to be a new system rather than doing something simple to an existing system (adding additional tiers to DDQ, slashing the price to direct buy covers with CP) has me apprehensive.  I need a bit clearer indication this is going to be a better way of acquiring characters, not just another way that isn't any better than the current system.

This, I very much agree with this skepticism.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards

It may just be an extra way of getting covers until there's a proper way of addressing dilution. I'd like to see a trade store where every week they offer you a handful of covers that you specifically need, along with a few extra covers that are random and maybe an occasional cover for a limited character, and then you could exchange resources like iso, hp, red iso and covers in your queue for trade points and then you would use those trade points to get covers, costumes, supports, alternate artwork (Capt Marvel, Halloween, etc.) and other stuff. I think that would be awesome.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I really hope this feature is successful at democratizing the key 5* characters for everyone. Rescue was clearly designed to benefit from Okoye, and this new Carnage I guess is designed to lean on Kitty, but if you're missing either of those two force multipliers, they're pretty lame on their own. If new characters are going to be coming out "pre-balanced" to work with those two, it needs to be achievable for people transitioning now to complete them.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    I really hope this feature is successful at democratizing the key 5* characters for everyone. Rescue was clearly designed to benefit from Okoye, and this new Carnage I guess is designed to lean on Kitty, but if you're missing either of those two force multipliers, they're pretty lame on their own. If new characters are going to be coming out "pre-balanced" to work with those two, it needs to be achievable for people transitioning now to complete them.
    Yep, I agree.  If I can target a classic 5 and get them to champ-able coverage within say 4 months, I would be very satisfied (Thor took 8 months with a store or two, feeder and BH).
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    I may be in the minority here.. but I almost wish that they didn’t make an announcement about an announcement on whats coming.. the speculation (even if not official and completer our own doing) can lead us down a path where we start feeling good.. then it rolls out and it’s the complete opposite.. at least if they just rolled it out we could “critique” it and go from there but this speculation is, to me, a painfully unnecessary first step.. *shrug* my two cents
    I'll have to respectfully disagree. I do appreciate the fact they communicated what they are working on. Even though we haven't received as much information as we would like, I'll take whatever communication we can get ahead of time.
    I agree. People complain more about dilution than any other issue (except maybe Bishop...). They've said ahead of time that they're trying again to deal with it which is a positive thing. People will speculate on signs regardless and always have since early man. Few people are getting carried away and it's nicer to have people being enthusiastic for a feature in the game rather than complaining about the problem it's trying to fix. Dilution doesn't even worry me too much because I've been playing a long time and am not competitive, but it's good that I know I'll have new ways of building up characters I like and use in another way.

The only thing I'd want to know is the basic mechanic - based on XP, pulls, purchases or a combination of the 3. I'm not a hoarder and if it's not going to make a difference I'd rather just pull them all now. But I can live without knowing that. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any hints if this mechanic is going to be released during Carnage’s LT store or after he enters Latest?  It’ll help plan which store I dump CP into.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    Any hints if this mechanic is going to be released during Carnage’s LT store or after he enters Latest?  It’ll help plan which store I dump CP into.
    My guess is that this feature won't be live by the time Symbiotic Relationship opens up.