***** Carnage (Prophet of Knull) *****

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Today's the day, right?
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Wish it was Omega Red.. but with absolute carnage still running in the comics pretty sure it’s carnage.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Still waiting for more 5* decent active blue powers......
  • leoperez90
    leoperez90 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    How is it that 4* land is getting the better characters? 
    All the new 5* that we are getting are not as good or cant even be considered as competitive characters? 

Am I not seeing something here? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably been awhile since we had a stronger Latest 3 than this, but I don’t know that they are truly meta defining or anything
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably been awhile since we had a stronger Latest 3 than this, but I don’t know that they are truly meta defining or anything
    Can’t comment on the Professor just yet. Storm and Iceman are on par with like Hela and GED.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    All the new 5* that we are getting are not as good or cant even be considered as competitive characters? 

I dunno, the current three are pretty amazing. Prof5 is an absolute beast of a character. His Purple is SO versatile, (nuke, targeted tile destruction, attack tiles for kitty, AOE, Heal, board shuffle in that order of usefulness) are all VERY powerful. His blue power can take down a 4star character in 1 match if you're lucky.

5torm can do some great damage, and her board control certainly helps fuel Prof5s blue attack.

Iceman's blue - i mean, I can stun someone for 11+ turns. that's certifiably insane. esp when used with 5torm to help clear out other colours on the board.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    Can’t comment on the Professor just yet. Storm and Iceman are on par with like Hela and GED.
    I think Storm is a tier below, and the decision to chase her versus the new 5* is going to be a tough one.

I will say that I believe Jessica stood in her own tier of not QUITE meta (Thor, Okoye, Kitty, Thanos), but better than everyone who isn't meta for a while (maybe you could put Daredevil/Black Bolt there, but Jessica was definitely above them and just below the top tier).  I'm ultimately okay with more "tier 2" characters (Professor, Jessica, Iceman, Daredevil, Hela, Doom, Black Bolt) being created (less Rescue, Wasp, Kingpin please), because anything "meta-defining" at this point would have to be turn-0 victories or a ridiculously broken to face on defense 5* (which we have some of those in the 4* tier, so I do not put it past them).

As I'm writing this, something just popped in my head (sorry if it is off-topic), but what if they created a character that did random passive damage if the blue/purple/black AP tiles on the board hit a certain threshold.  They could give this character a power that put those colors on the board.  As Thor saps the red/yellow/green from the board he'd actually hurt his own team and if run at half health, could possibly kill himself.  I guess really hard counters to the current meta could also be "meta shaking" like if Sabretooth was a 5.  Look at that, brought it back on topic.
  • jp1
    Storm is definitely better than Cable or Loki, so it depends on how many tiers we are talking about here. 

I place Rescue above Cable as well to be honest. Not sure why she gets such a bad rap, she is a great third for Gritty.

I think if we are talking about trash, mediocre, good, great. Storm scrapes in on the low end of good for her self acceleration and board shake.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    jp1 said:
    Storm is definitely better than Cable or Loki, so it depends on how many tiers we are talking about here. 

I place Rescue above Cable as well to be honest. Not sure why she gets such a bad rap, she is a great third for Gritty.

I think if we are talking about trash, mediocre, good, great. Storm scrapes in on the low end of good for her self acceleration and board shake.
    Rescue's red worked very well with Gritty offensively in pve, but can you imagine fighting them in pvp, and the AI decides to fire Rescue's "Your Shield", essentially crippling her team's offence?  I would laugh...
  • jp1
    abenness said:
    jp1 said:

Rescue's red worked very well with Gritty offensively in pve, but can you imagine fighting them in pvp, and the AI decides to fire Rescue's "Your Shield", essentially crippling her team's offence?  I would laugh...
    Yeah, she isn’t great in the hands of AI. I think it is pretty nice to be able to switch to a heavy defense with healing if needed though, if you had Rockets blue out, that could become a problem quickly. 

She isn’t top tier or anything, I just find it odd that she is considered trash like Wa5p as much as she is.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:

I agree it really depends on how many tiers you think exist, but I put Storm alongside Parker, Strange, Goblin, IW Cap, Hawkeye (no Worthy), Loki and Cable (both of whom I admittedly may be higher on than you... I play Loki especially a ton). Without numbers, “insert character here” feels like they fit with this group as well. But I’m okay with others seeing it differently. 

• BuzzedLightbeer
    BuzzedLightbeer Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    jp1 said:

I agree it really depends on how many tiers you think exist, but I put Storm alongside Parker, Strange, Goblin, IW Cap, Hawkeye (no Worthy), Loki and Cable (both of whom I admittedly may be higher on than you... I play Loki especially a ton). Without numbers, “insert character here” feels like they fit with this group as well. But I’m okay with others seeing it differently. 

Shouldn’t we know definitely who “insert character here” is by now, and more on their numbers?  
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

Note that the new 4* characters that 5* players are complaining about probably wouldn't be as threatening if they were scaled up to 5* levels. You wouldn't see anywhere near as many complaints about Bishop or Captain America if their passives didn't trigger off of simple match damage for these players.

They'd still be great characters, but you could treat battles against them as a puzzle, as happens if you face them with a 4* team.

• jp1
    How you like to play is for sure the defining characteristic for how we might rate characters differently.

I am not, and probably never will be a top 10 player in PVE and certainly not PVP. My concern for an extra few seconds here and there is so much different from someone who is looking to chase a better spot in top 5. So, for me characters like Storm are better than others might see her. I also have a 4* lvl 200 vintage shield on her which improves her substantially for PVE. I know not everyone is going to have the support though.

I think it’s a great idea (as you did) to state your motives with a given character when you rate them here on the forums. This way someone who might be looking for someone that is fun to play, functional solo, and has some synergy with others won’t miss out if they aren’t competitive players.

I agree, for the most part, that she will never be replacing my Meta characters as a choice in any aspect of the game. I may choose to take her along though to break up the monotonous nature of the grind.

Play style matters so much too. As @Daredevil217 pointed out, he values Cable and Loki more than I do. I won’t use them unless forced to because they (especially Cable) are not fun in their mechanics and offer me less than some of my better 4*s in pretty much every way. Maybe I’m missing the boat on them, but it’s such an annoyance to bring them out unless they are boosted that I just don’t bother.
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    So... I'd appreciate practical advice: to cash in hoard or not for [Carnag5]?

Is it better to dump the accumulation now before he moves into Latest?

I know the quick answer is "it's too early to tell"--but part of the equation is whether the current Latest are significantly valuable. In my case I have zero PX and a handful of Iceman and Storm covers... enough that when boosted they are useful for 4* PVE-land.

--Khanwulf
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Khanwulf said:

I know the quick answer is "it's too early to tell"--but part of the equation is whether the current Latest are significantly valuable. In my case I have zero PX and a handful of Iceman and Storm covers... enough that when boosted they are useful for 4* PVE-land.

--Khanwulf
    It will depend on how many pulls do you have.  Do you have enough pulls to cover Storm?  Also do you have a strong partner for her?  If you will not comfortable cover storm keep hoarding.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not doing anything until the new feature and time table is revealed. That's the trouble with the early heads up, everyone starts worrying about opening tokens.

• Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    wymtime said:
    Khanwulf said:

--Khanwulf
    It will depend on how many pulls do you have.  Do you have enough pulls to cover Storm?  Also do you have a strong partner for her?  If you will not comfortable cover storm keep hoarding.
    Storm currently has 4 covers and Iceman 5. Current hoard is 105+ pulls (52 LL, remainder CC)... so not enough to guarantee coverage. 

The rest of my 5* roster is similarly scattered. I think Hawkeye and Thanos are most complete at 11 and 12 covers, respectively, and then a few at 8 and less. BB, notably, is at 4 covers.

I don't have PX at all, and am willing to accept that Storm may need to slide off the list in order to ensure acquisition of a full clean slate later.

--Khanwulf