3* Tournament

12345679»

Comments

• Clint wrote:
    My strat of targeting people with maxed out 140 level spiders did not work out as well as I thought, I was assuming they wouldn't be vying for 1-2, was sitting at #1 with 4 min to go, so many retaliations wound up in top 25. Got the one spider cover I did not need:(. Was a fun tourney though.

Masochist >_<
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ranzera wrote:
    Sniped out of top 2 again. Oh well, 3/5/0 spidey is pretty damn good.
    Are 2 AP stuns as completely ridiculous as I think they are? You can start with 3 of them with boosts
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Spoit wrote:
    Ranzera wrote:
    Are 2 AP stuns as completely ridiculous as I think they are? You can start with 3 of them with boosts

It means you shouldn't lose too many games. But, it slows down the speed at which you kill things.
  • I wonder how fast you could beat a whole team if you used Venom's devour skill combined with Spider-Mans 2 blue AP, but I'm guessing healing your teammates instead is better.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Ranzera wrote:

It means you shouldn't lose too many games. But, it slows down the speed at which you kill things.

Yeah I wound up using magneto/hood/spidey and you don't kill very fast at all.

Spidey is great to control things and heal up at the end of the fight, but he does absolutely no damage.
    Hood also generates AP and allows you to control the opponent by taking their AP, a tiny bit of damage from black and yellow gives AP but really minimal damage, a few hundred at most from the 15yellow it costs.

Had to rely on mags to do the heavy lifting.

Spidey is incredibly powerful, and 2AP for the stun is great especially with it increasing in duration with the number of web tiles, but you need a lot of AP to try and control 3 opponents, realistically even with boosts to give you 6 at the start you cant without a lot of blue on the board.

I didn't use boosts as I was trying to conserve ISO and so used spideys stun sparingly, to block particular powers and lock down one character when they got enough AP or later in the match after I assassinated their weakest or in some cases most risky character, to lock down 1 of the 2 remaining because the AP cost is then more manageable.

He certainly isn't the "I win" button that Rag often is, you need to use him thoughtfully and carefully for him to be truly effective. Fantastic for control and making sure your team stays well healed for the next match, making any use of health packs rare.

Speedy he is not however lol. So in a lot of ways for these tournament formats can often be a bit of a liability as speed really is important when vying for high rankings.
  • GT-47LM wrote:
    I wonder how fast you could beat a whole team if you used Venom's devour skill combined with Spider-Mans 2 blue AP, but I'm guessing healing your teammates instead is better.

Devour is expensive and you need a lot of web tiles, but its cool if you can pull it off, I was lucky enough to get blue spidey early in my time in MPQ and that combo allowed me to beat some missions I would have otherwise not been able to at the time.

Now with better characters its not really worth it, the heal is more effective most of the time and having spidey and venom in the team really limits you ability to kill people with anything except that combo as neither really have any offensive power except devour.
  • this 3s is hard icon_lol.gif luckily managed to finish in top 25 using **** gwidow 51, im40 54, and doom 28 icon_cry.gif

every battle is time consuming but fun also
  • Luckily had a pretty easy bracket and won mine.
    Got two spidey covers I really needed icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Luckily had a pretty easy bracket and won mine.
    Got two spidey covers I really needed icon_e_biggrin.gif

Haha I saw you in my bracket, was wondering who else made it, it was fairly easy, I was surprised I made top 2 with only 900ish.
  • Agree, Glad to hear you made it as well, I guessed it would probably be us two as we were well positioned
    But you never know when you are going to get slammed by six attacks after its finished icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Agree, Glad to hear you made it as well, I guessed it would probably be us two as we were well positioned
    But you never know when you are going to get slammed by six attacks after its finished icon_e_biggrin.gif

Lol yeah, that's happened more than once, you end your final battle and sit there hoping something like -70 from several last minute battles doesn't pop up after your fight is over!!

Definitely lucky though, sounds like we had very low point wins compared to some others.
  • I typically use my Spidey as an emergency stop gap when a bad ability is about to fire. If there's AP left at the end of a fight then I typically heal before finishing it. This kind of play style lets me get pretty aggressive.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    I typically use my Spidey as an emergency stop gap when a bad ability is about to fire. If there's AP left at the end of a fight then I typically heal before finishing it. This kind of play style lets me get pretty aggressive.

I haven't used heal yet, but I use stun the same way. Also when there's one guy left ill stun them like crazy.

I was in #3 last night with less then a minute left - 908 points, and #2 had 910. I wanted the yellow skill finally, so that was cool. Then someone beat #2 and dropped him below me, so I ended up #2. First time I've had a top finish. Felt good! Though I felt bad for the guy who dropped.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Since I finished my last match with about a minute left, I didn't play another and just watched the leaderboard instead. You were like 6th or so when I started looking. About 30 seconds before the end, you jumped to second! Just barely made it in - congrats.

Dang, that really was close then. I would've been happy with top 10, but really happy to wind up at top 2.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Towards the end I just went +3 all +3 purple/blue and tried to get Iron man to 20 blue asap (also using recharge for help). Found that to be the fastest way to end matches.

Yeah, that was my exact same strategy as well.

And I agree with a lot of the others in the thread -- this was a very fun tournament, and IM40 is very powerful once he gets enough AP.
  • Wow. Was originally pretty happy to hit top 2 and get all three Spideys. Now we're in Venom Heroic and I'm ecstatic icon_e_biggrin.gif