3* Tournament

Comments

• Welp. Got a top ten finish as I wanted. Puts my spidey at 1/1/3, as I no longer needed the purple. To those who were in my bracket, thanks for not attacking me that often, and grats to the top 2 finishers!
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    Sniped out of #2 spot right at the end, but still got top 10. I already had a purple spider cover anyhow. Now to decide whether I want to spend HP to level Spidey's blue power.

There's a spidey blue as a progress reward in the avengers tourney
  • One thing for certain, this tournament showed me that Iron Man Model 40 can be a beast if he is sitting on a lot of AP and is leveled up.

Agreed! I tried to wait until I could cast 2 yellow so I would have 6 countdown tiles. As long as the team could survive the 2 turns of stun it was usually lights out once IM woke up. Also think having him leveled to 64 was key for defense as I got attacked a lot less than I'm used to (there were a lot of easier targets out there). Thanks to the Juggs PvE tourney I was able to get him that high. I dig how the tournaments really compliment each other.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Aleatory wrote:
    Sweeet. Last match did make it on time. It's fairly leniant as my clock read 00:02. Can't believe I got top 2 considering the state of my 3-stars.
    Aleatory wrote:
    Ended up top 2 in my bracket, it just saddens me that all I will do with the 3 spidey covers is sell them icon_e_sad.gif
    You didn't even need em? That's not nice, you should've let someone else win them.

eh, they are worth iso and hp. Compete in the event for the 70/140 iso from a win more than the prize from this one, I was somewhat surprised I finished top 2, I think I only had about 900 points at the end.

More than anything though I actually had a lot of fun with this event, it was slower and more challenging, less damage = more time and planning, more thought and less instant death to characters every 2 turns

pretty scumbag imo =/

/Shrug, given the number of much higher level spideys I fought against lot of people in the same place.

Its a game, people have fun, I certainly did, learn to deal with it.
  • Hovering in the top 2 toward the end, but ended up top 10. Goodness, I'd see 3 losses every time I finish a match. It was non-stop. That's why I'm called a decoy. Stop shooting at the decoys!
  • I did better than I expected. I don't know if my last match made it in time. If so, I hope it was enough. In any case, I'm happy to finally be able to use Spidey.

Matchmaking still confuses me a bit. I feel like it's real-time win/loss. Got low levels after tanking from Lightning Rounds, then as I started winning saw more and more high levels.

I made top 2!! Absolutely stunned. Spidey is now 1/2/2, and finally usable.

And I do think tourney rank is realtime, or at least updated at the end of each tournament. I unintentionally utterly tanked my rating in Lightening rounds by losing to freaking point seeds. Really didn't mean to, but some of the seeds now have high level Thor/C Storm and a lucky break can mean an early hammer, leading to Tempest, and boom. Dead. That happened to me 2 or 3 times before I stopped hitting my head against the wall.

Net effect? I stopped seeing anyone in the 3* tourney to attack. I skipped for 10-25 mins straight one night and the next morning. For two nights the ONLY attacks I had on me were retaliations; first night was 2, second night (last night) was ONE. I only saw an upswing in matches after the last Lightning round (placed top 50) and a few matches in the 1* tourney where I've won consistently.

And I've now placed top 2 in the last 3 non-Lightning tourneys.

Really think the matchmaking algorithm needs some tweaks.

Was very fun to play w/o the constant Thor/Storm match ups though.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    greggray24 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Man, I'm biting my nails here. Finished with 760 something, and #11 was at 750 even. If they got in an extra attack, or another retaliation hit past the buzzer, I'm so screwed

I was in your bracket. How did it work out? Was crazy at the end. Was pretty much getting hit for as much as I was winning at the end. Somehow managed to hold on to 2nd with just over 900pts I think (though I never saw the 1000iso because I got clobbered).
    Woo! yellow spidey get!

Man, one of these days i'll remember to just not touch the health packs until the last half hour.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Zathrus wrote:
    I did better than I expected. I don't know if my last match made it in time. If so, I hope it was enough. In any case, I'm happy to finally be able to use Spidey.

Matchmaking still confuses me a bit. I feel like it's real-time win/loss. Got low levels after tanking from Lightning Rounds, then as I started winning saw more and more high levels.

I made top 2!! Absolutely stunned. Spidey is now 1/2/2, and finally usable.

And I do think tourney rank is realtime, or at least updated at the end of each tournament. I unintentionally utterly tanked my rating in Lightening rounds by losing to freaking point seeds. Really didn't mean to, but some of the seeds now have high level Thor/C Storm and a lucky break can mean an early hammer, leading to Tempest, and boom. Dead. That happened to me 2 or 3 times before I stopped hitting my head against the wall.

Net effect? I stopped seeing anyone in the 3* tourney to attack. I skipped for 10-25 mins straight one night and the next morning. For two nights the ONLY attacks I had on me were retaliations; first night was 2, second night (last night) was ONE. I only saw an upswing in matches after the last Lightning round (placed top 50) and a few matches in the 1* tourney where I've won consistently.

And I've now placed top 2 in the last 3 non-Lightning tourneys.

Really think the matchmaking algorithm needs some tweaks.

Was very fun to play w/o the constant Thor/Storm match ups though.

Since I finished my last match with about a minute left, I didn't play another and just watched the leaderboard instead. You were like 6th or so when I started looking. About 30 seconds before the end, you jumped to second! Just barely made it in - congrats.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    fatcatfan wrote:
    Sniped out of #2 spot right at the end, but still got top 10. I already had a purple spider cover anyhow. Now to decide whether I want to spend HP to level Spidey's blue power.

Yeah, at 1100. Might be doable. I just got my first blue cover, so another would be great.

Grats, Zathrus, Spoit, etc. *fistbump*
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    pretty scumbag imo =/

Don't be bitter, dude. Everyone has a right to play in the tournaments if they enjoy it. I say this as someone who finished just outside the top 2, and needed that purple Spidey cover.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    fatcatfan wrote:

Saw that, I'll def be striving for it and the yellow one too. Even if I make it, that'd only be Level 3 blue for me. My spidey is 1/2/1 right now. Can I get a 2-for-1 conversion rate for Bag Man to Classic Spidey covers? icon_razz.gif
  • Aleatory wrote:
    /Shrug, given the number of much higher level spideys I fought against lot of people in the same place.

Its a game, people have fun, I certainly did, learn to deal with it.
    I don't blame ya. I've mentioned my issue with the rewards system before, especially the Lightning Rounds. People say that high level players will lose interest, but I don't think that'll be the case. Unless there's multiple tournaments going on at the same time like this weekend.

Actually, I think that would be a good idea for lightning rounds. Instead of 1 at a time, there's 3 or so at a time--1 for each character. So you can focus on winning the character you need most, rather than people winning them all just because they can.
  • ApocryphicV
    ApocryphicV Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    greggray24 wrote:
    One thing for certain, this tournament showed me that Iron Man Model 40 can be a beast if he is sitting on a lot of AP and is leveled up.

Agreed! I tried to wait until I could cast 2 yellow so I would have 6 countdown tiles. As long as the team could survive the 2 turns of stun it was usually lights out once IM woke up. Also think having him leveled to 64 was key for defense as I got attacked a lot less than I'm used to (there were a lot of easier targets out there). Thanks to the Juggs PvE tourney I was able to get him that high. I dig how the tournaments really compliment each other.

I know man, if Model 40 can get his yellow tiles untouched and get full charged, his Uni beam is basically lights out for most characters. I also figured out its a really good idea to waste all your available abilities (in my case Widow's Purple skill) before you unleash the beam because than it won't drain from the AP pool cause you already used it, so the drain isn't as bad as I once thought. Model 40 is quickly becoming a fave of mine.
  • Spoit wrote:
    greggray24 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Man, I'm biting my nails here. Finished with 760 something, and #11 was at 750 even. If they got in an extra attack, or another retaliation hit past the buzzer, I'm so screwed

I was in your bracket. How did it work out? Was crazy at the end. Was pretty much getting hit for as much as I was winning at the end. Somehow managed to hold on to 2nd with just over 900pts I think (though I never saw the 1000iso because I got clobbered).
    Woo! yellow spidey get!

Man, one of these days i'll remember to just not touch the health packs until the last half hour.

Awsome! I know the feeling of not timing the heals right. Had this one about right. Had 4 going into the last 30mins with one spawning with 2mins left. Got crushed by an IM with only 40life left (grrr). Won the match but had to heal all 3 on my team. Ended up with one extra heal.

I thought I was going to hate this tourney because I didn't have the firepower but got IM to 64 from Juggs tourney and was able to get Doom up to level 28 due to lighting rounds and became viable at the end. Had to come up with an all new strategy which was very satisfying when it worked. Went from least favorite to favorite one yet!
  • cepage wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:
    pretty scumbag imo =/

Don't be bitter, dude. Everyone has a right to play in the tournaments if they enjoy it. I say this as someone who finished just outside the top 2, and needed that purple Spidey cover.

I placed top 2 lol, i'm not bitter for myself. I feel bad for someone that really needed those covers.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:
    fatcatfan wrote:

Saw that, I'll def be striving for it and the yellow one too. Even if I make it, that'd only be Level 3 blue for me. My spidey is 1/2/1 right now. Can I get a 2-for-1 conversion rate for Bag Man to Classic Spidey covers? icon_razz.gif

Maybe 50:1.
  • greggray24 wrote:
    One thing for certain, this tournament showed me that Iron Man Model 40 can be a beast if he is sitting on a lot of AP and is leveled up.

I know man, if Model 40 can get his yellow tiles untouched and get full charged, his Uni beam is basically lights out for most characters. I also figured out its a really good idea to waste all your available abilities (in my case Widow's Purple skill) before you unleash the beam because than it won't drain from the AP pool cause you already used it, so the drain isn't as bad as I once thought. Model 40 is quickly becoming a fave of mine.

Yeah, he's interesting to use for that reason. Not only do you want to use other abilities first, but sometimes it is worth delaying a turn or two so you can collect enough energy to use a skill.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Sniped out of top 2 again. Oh well, 3/5/0 spidey is pretty damn good.
  • Towards the end I just went +3 all +3 purple/blue and tried to get Iron man to 20 blue asap (also using recharge for help). Found that to be the fastest way to end matches.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    My strat of targeting people with maxed out 140 level spiders did not work out as well as I thought, I was assuming they wouldn't be vying for 1-2, was sitting at #1 with 4 min to go, so many retaliations wound up in top 25. Got the one spider cover I did not need:(. Was a fun tourney though.