*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• I have two suggestions on this. First, why doesn't he break all of the tiles at once? It seems odd that they break one by one. Second, Why doesn't he stun until after the countdown tiles are done? It seems a little backward that he is active during the charging and not afterwards. I assume it is so he cannot use his powers immediately after generating AP, but it still seems backwards especially when you can use the ability multiple times before the countdown is over.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    5/4/4 only makes sense to me because it puts recharge at a multiple of 3. Yeah, there will be some cases where you'll find a 4-match to net you the extra 1 yellow, but you'll likely end up at 9 or 12 AP in most matches.
  • with R42 it stopped timers working when anyone is stunned, not just enemy, so be careful not to use recharge, match yellow, use recharge again. you'll end up stunned for 4 turns instead of 3 from before patch. you'll also have to wait an extra turn for the remaining energy and to use IM again

after patch

1st use - 2 timer
    match yellow - 1 timer
    2nd use - 1 timer, 2 timer
    match X - procs stunned, 1 timer
    match X - stunned, 1 timer
    match X - stun clears, procs next set stunned
    match X - stunned
    match X - stun clears

before patch
    1st use - 2 timer
    match yellow - 1 timer
    2nd use - 1 timer, 2 timer
    match X - procs stunned, 1 timer
    match X - procs stunned
    match X - stunned
    match X - stun clears
  • I don't know if this has already been brought up because I haven't yet read through the whole thread. I really have to say though that only allowing three Recharge tiles on the board at a time is...lame? It took me a while to figure out what was happening. The other team's IM40 had 3 Recharge tiles out, I cast Recharge and got no countdown tiles. It was just wasted AP. I only just now realized what was going on because in this match the other team had 2 tiles out, I cast Recharge, and ended up with only 1 tile on the board. icon_e_sad.gif

Is this just a bug or something? *hope*
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    pumkin wrote:
    I don't know if this has already been brought up because I haven't yet read through the whole thread. I really have to say though that only allowing three Recharge tiles on the board at a time is...lame? It took me a while to figure out what was happening. The other team's IM40 had 3 Recharge tiles out, I cast Recharge and got no countdown tiles. It was just wasted AP. I only just now realized what was going on because in this match the other team had 2 tiles out, I cast Recharge, and ended up with only 1 tile on the board. icon_e_sad.gif

Most all abilities that put something on existing tiles will work this way. Yes, you need to make sure there are three available tiles before recharging. I think most people have problems with web tiles.
  • pumkin wrote:
    I don't know if this has already been brought up because I haven't yet read through the whole thread. I really have to say though that only allowing three Recharge tiles on the board at a time is...lame? It took me a while to figure out what was happening. The other team's IM40 had 3 Recharge tiles out, I cast Recharge and got no countdown tiles. It was just wasted AP. I only just now realized what was going on because in this match the other team had 2 tiles out, I cast Recharge, and ended up with only 1 tile on the board. icon_e_sad.gif

There's no such limit -- I've had 6 recharge tiles out at one time (with the new patch doing so only makes sense if you can activate his yellow twice in the same round), and I've had recharge tiles out at the same time the AI has.

As Nemek says, there won't be any placed if there are no available unmodified tiles of the appropriate color. Only a few abilities let you take over a tile that has something on it already.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    As Nemek says, there won't be any placed if there are no available unmodified tiles of the appropriate color. Only a few abilities let you take over a tile that has something on it already.
    Okay, to clarify. He puts out yellow Recharge tiles. So if there are no empty yellow tiles, he won't put the timer on anything. It'll fizzle. And if there's only one empty yellow tile, he'll just put down one tile.

Seems like if that's the case it shouldn't use up your AP. I mean, if it puts down just one tile, okay, use it up. But if it puts down none at all, it shouldn't use up AP. That mechanic gets a boo from me...
  • I have him at max yellow, only because that was all the covers I got over and over and wasn't yet fully tweaking my characters (I hadn't found this board).

The max yellow, when it pops is like finding a supply bucket in the middle of the game and is brutal with the right other characters. With 3* Widow, he is a heck of a compliment as he powers up all 3 of her powers. Honestly at that point, any 3rd would be great if they can take advantage of the AP he gives. Currently, I'm using Doom, but that is because I have only gotten 3* multi's for Lokie (bleh) and then Widdow an Iron Man 40.

He is a decent hit point sink, and the UltraBeam or Ballistic can swing the game if you don't need the blue or red for other things. The other trick with him is order: Don't fire either of those powers until you have exhausted your other powers. Snipe, then Ballistic then Ultra. If there is anyone left on the other side at that point, just making matches will kill them.

But yeah... wow he takes time to get going. Once he does tho, look out.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    rabscutle wrote:
    I have him at max yellow, only because that was all the covers I got over and over and wasn't yet fully tweaking my characters (I hadn't found this board).

The max yellow, when it pops is like finding a supply bucket in the middle of the game and is brutal with the right other characters. With 3* Widow, he is a heck of a compliment as he powers up all 3 of her powers. Honestly at that point, any 3rd would be great if they can take advantage of the AP he gives. Currently, I'm using Doom, but that is because I have only gotten 3* multi's for Lokie (bleh) and then Widdow an Iron Man 40.

He is a decent hit point sink, and the UltraBeam or Ballistic can swing the game if you don't need the blue or red for other things. The other trick with him is order: Don't fire either of those powers until you have exhausted your other powers. Snipe, then Ballistic then Ultra. If there is anyone left on the other side at that point, just making matches will kill them.

Max yellow! How hard do you find it to hit a recharge? Do you do anything special to try to protect your tiles? They're just so valuable at that point that it would crush me if they get destroyed early.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Max yellow! How hard do you find it to hit a recharge? Do you do anything special to try to protect your tiles? They're just so valuable at that point that it would crush me if they get destroyed early.

Pair him with Hood. In the 3*** I have, Hood, IM40 and Widow and I try to save Hood's black with IM40s yellow. Drops the countdowns from 2 to 1, makes them much less fragile.
  • Nemek wrote:
    rabscutle wrote:
    I have him at max yellow, only because that was all the covers I got over and over and wasn't yet fully tweaking my characters (I hadn't found this board).

I don't think there's a lot you can do to protect your countdowns besides the obv. Before using the ability, first match nearly all the yellow on the board until there are barely 3 left, and make sure they're nowhere near each other so they can't be taken out by matching. Kill/stunlock Moonstone, Thor, or any other characters that can steal or randomly match out your countdown tiles, as well as Grey Widow, Rag, and any other characters that can destroy batches of tiles. Stunlock the enemy team like crazy otherwise.

Like we've discussed in other threads, Loki/Moonstone-like "randomly scramble up the tiles on the board" abilities were probably intended to help protect special tiles like countdown/strike/attack (so your special tiles hopefully end up nowhere near same-colored tiles so they can't be matched off the board), but the total randomness doesn't seem like a reliable way to protect them.

Edit: And The Hood. Duh. Yeah.
  • What I would do for a leveled Hood... I got a bunch of 3 star drops yesterday... and they were all for Loki.

Hood's power is fantastic with IM40, I just haven't gotten the necessary Black drops. If you don't have him, stun locking with Spidey is the other way to go. That and there seems to be a better dispersion of the tiles since the last patch. No evidence on this, just always seems they get placed in randomly in a way that they are harder to destroy. Goes for strike tiles and punch tiles as well, from what I've seen.

But yeah, he is a beast if the game goes long enough.
  • You don't want to use The Hood's black ability to speed up IM40's countdown tiles unless you have it up to 3 points so it does all 3 tiles at once. Otherwise IM will get stunned from the early triggered tile and the other(s) will be stuck until his stun wears off when he will then immediately be stunned again when they trigger!
  • It just so happens that mt Hood does have level 3 in black. I forgot that you get more timer coverage at higher levels, I agree Hood at lower levels would be detrimental to IM40 countdowns.
  • I have two Yellow covers from last week that are about to expire:

11001487146_cdacd35b7e_z.jpg

I just can't bring myself to add these to my 4/3/1 IM40. Being able to Recharge with 6 AP has been ridiculously useful over the last week, and I don't want to lose the ability to get this early boost.
  • cepage wrote:
    I just can't bring myself to add these to my 4/3/1 IM40. Being able to Recharge with 6 AP has been ridiculously useful over the last week, and I don't want to lose the ability to get this early boost.

I mean, obviously, you gotta do what feels right for you, but keep in mind, not getting 13 covers effectively limits a character's level cap, which means less max damage on his red & blue and less max health.

A fully-developed Model 40 is one of the tankiest characters in the game (along with Ragnarok) and he's a slow-build character by design.

I wouldn't blame you for not fully developing though. I can't help but feel like he's not the absolute best 3-star I could be adding to my team. More characters will be added in the future, after all.
  • cepage wrote:

I have 95 more days to think about adding 2 yellow covers to IM40 4/2/1 icon_lol.gif Got lucky with last update
  • ApocryphicV
    ApocryphicV Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Found out a good way to keep your precious yellow tiles untouched is to purposely change the character you are hitting before you cast it. For example, going up against a Thor/ Widow/ Whoever team. Choose Widow and cast it and she'll ignore your yellow tiles whilst she goes for Purple or Black. Of course if you stay on Thor after you cast it, you know without a doubt Thor will go for them because one of his best colors is yellow. Use the CPU's greediness against them lol.
  • spell wrote:
    cepage wrote:

I have 95 more days to think about adding 2 yellow covers to IM40 4/2/1 icon_lol.gif Got lucky with last update

recharge 1 is really good. i had a similar decision at 5/2/1 and decided to bite the bullet. u lose some speed but not that much, and 2 on recharge gives u synergy with blue characters.

but i would not go higher than 2 on yellow.
  • I've sold two yellows thus far. Lvl 2 is amazing. Still fast, turns spidey/thor into a beast team. Perma stun lock anyway.