*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• He's a decent support character. I use his recharge ability to gain Red AP for wolverine. I can set up a bunch of red attack tiles and burst opponents down with his Slash. Model 40s other two abilities are not that useful, only good for the high amounts of damage once you get him to a higher level.
  • problem is he's a ramp up character and in this current meta of tournaments, its all about destroying opponents as fast as you can at the end of tournaments. he'd be brought to just use his yellow ability, which can be used better (for example, thor 12 yellow nine million damage to knock someone out quick)
  • So, what are you guys' thoughts on the new Ironman? I was actually not that impressed. I feel that there is way too much of a cost to his abilities. I mean, his yellow ability seems awesome, but even then you stun yourself.
    Seems to be the case with lost of the higher stared characters like Wolverine X-force and others.
  • I hadn't looked at these before, but now I don't feel bad that my Mark 40 covers are waiting in the cache for me to get more HP.
  • Nemek hit it on the head. With Spider-Man, perhaps even storm, model 40 is very useful. Generating AP for half the cost is huge. Him being stunned is not an issue because your opponents whole team will be stunned. I suspect in a couple of weeks we'll see a lot of model 40 icon_e_smile.gif
  • I have all the covers for Iron Man Model 40, but I'm a little divided on his abilities. He seems like a tank that does high damage, but I'm not sure if his recharge is capable of mitigating the high costs. I've been trawling opponents to see if anyone has him leveled up, but so far the closest I have found is Nemek with his character at level 77 (sorry for pointing you out here).

Does anyone have feedback on Iron Man 40? My main concern is with him sitting out the entire match, simply because of the high AP costs. I know for a fact the AI tends to use abilities with lower costs, so there is a chance he might never get to use his skills in defence (if you have allies using red/blue skills). Any feedback on his usefulness/crappiness, any one had difficulty fighting an opponent with Iron Man 40 or the like, please give your input, thanks! Anything at all...

P.S. I thought of posting in the tip/guides section, but general discussion moves faster.
  • There is a thread about Model 40 in Tips and Guides -> link
    Couple people already voiced their opinions and suggestions, including Nemek.
  • The best uses I have seen of him so far are just using him as a battery in those Thor/Storm teams, at level 2 his recharge is kicking out Blue and Red tiles to feed the others abilities.
  • Personally, I feel that his high AP costs make him useless. At the top tier of tournaments you have a lot of people running Ragnaroks/Spideys/Thors/Storms, all who have low/relatively low AP costs. Most matches end before he'll get enough AP to use any skills. I think in order to use a mid/high AP character such as Iron Man 40, you'll need to pair him with a low-cost AP generating skill, otherwise, he'll be as worthless as X-Force Wolverine. If you want to use him solely for his yellow skill, you have to be careful because generally countdown tiles are unreliable as they can be destroyed.
  • Like I said, I apologise for clogging up General DIscussion, but the readership here is higher... Plus Iron Man 40 is the newest kid on the block, I just thought many more people might be interested/keen to contribute at this point in time.

I'm just wondering if I'll ever see a level 141 Iron Man 40 any time. It'll be interesting to see how he actually functions.
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    Personally, I feel that his high AP costs make him useless. At the top tier of tournaments you have a lot of people running Ragnaroks/Spideys/Thors/Storms, all who have low/relatively low AP costs. Most matches end before he'll get enough AP to use any skills. I think in order to use a mid/high AP character such as Iron Man 40, you'll need to pair him with a low-cost AP generating skill, otherwise, he'll be as worthless as X-Force Wolverine. If you want to use him solely for his yellow skill, you have to be careful because generally countdown tiles are unreliable as they can be destroyed.

Actually it isn't quite fair to compare Wolverine X to Iron Man 40, because the latter can actually do high damage, and serves well as a battery. It's just a matter of whether he pulls it off. Wolverine X has at least 2 broken skills that render him useless, but I won't delve into it here.

But you are right regarding the preference for quick, low cost AP skills at higher levels. For this alone, Classic Storm is above Iron Man 40, easily. Her blue skill costs a low 11 AP, hits the entire team for 1880, and comes with a multi-turn stun. Brilliant skill, really. She has two AP generating skills on top of that, and instant ones at that (no countdown). I would have given her a 3 star rating without a second thought.
  • There's more to a character than how good their abilities are at lvl40 and under. Lvl 40 IM vs. lvl 40 c.Storm might be an easy choice to make, but how about lvl 141 IM vs lvl 85 c.Storm?

I think one difference when it comes to balance views of devs vs players is that devs get to playtest scenarios with max lvl characters and we don't. Whether this is good or not (i.e. they can neglect low lvl balance), I think it's something to take into account.

Besides, do you really want to widen the disparity between 1-star and 4-star power levels and consequently shift the power towards pay2win?

As for my thought on IM, he seems decent. Yellow seems like his best ability, followed by red, then blue. Many other characters have a 3rd "useless" ability, and some don't even have one at all. One things for sure, and that is he's better than 1-star IM.
  • Been using him with Thor. Can get quite crazy with Thor supplying the yellow. By the time Iron Man is out of stun there's usually enough yellow to recast, sometimes up to 3 times. Have had red maxed at 30 in more than one match and at that point the damage output gets ridiculous.

I don't see myself raising the level of the ability anytime soon. 6 yellow for up to 9 red really accelerates things. Especially if you use boosts. Even if the AI destroys the tiles, usually 1 survives and AI generally doesn't go for them. And the tile disappearing when you get the AP sometimes triggers matches which is a nice bonus.
  • Bainee
    Bainee Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Anyone know what is HP is at lvl 141?
  • A better question is how much ISO would it take to get him to lvl 141? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    I haven't seen an iron man 40 close to mine yet. Currently at lvl 81, and at 3/4/2. He does 2056 with red and 1582 with blue. I figure I want to get him to either 5/5/3 or 5/5/2 (I'd rather not increase yellow AP cost to 10, since it will then go higher than spidey's yellow...which I really don't care for on defense.)

I'm still a bit on the fence about him. His yellow skill is certainly the best one. In this tourney I'm mainly just using it to feed a lvl 40 juggernaut, since the buffed headbutt does more damage for much less AP, and to feed spidey stun (an extra 4 stuns can generally mean the opponent never attacks again.)

Right now, I don't think he's super great, his blue skill I used more as a novelty - fights were well in hand by the time I'd use it (I mainly use blue AP for spidey stun, so it's in high demand.)

I'm putting my hopes in that he'll turn into a better long-term character. He's a 3* tank character with a high level cap (which rag does not), which should automatically make him somewhat viable. We'll see what his max stats are eventually. I suspect we're only a month or two away from large amounts of players playing exclusively maxed characters.
  • Bainee
    Bainee Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Nemek wrote:
    I haven't seen an iron man 40 close to mine yet. Currently at lvl 81, and at 3/4/2. He does 2056 with red and 1582 with blue. I figure I want to get him to either 5/5/3 or 5/5/2 (I'd rather not increase yellow AP cost to 10, since it will then go higher than spidey's yellow...which I really don't care for on defense.)

I'm still a bit on the fence about him. His yellow skill is certainly the best one. In this tourney I'm mainly just using it to feed a lvl 40 juggernaut, since the buffed headbutt does more damage for much less AP, and to feed spidey stun (an extra 4 stuns can generally mean the opponent never attacks again.)

Right now, I don't think he's super great, his blue skill I used more as a novelty - fights were well in hand by the time I'd use it (I mainly use blue AP for spidey stun, so it's in high demand.)

I'm putting my hopes in that he'll turn into a better long-term character. He's a 3* tank character with a high level cap (which rag does not), which should automatically make him somewhat viable. We'll see what his max stats are eventually. I suspect we're only a month or two away from large amounts of players playing exclusively maxed characters.

How much HP does he have at lvl 81?
  • nemek has the advantage over us for the next tournament, considering it says iron man boost in the pop ups
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Bainee wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

How much HP does he have at lvl 81?

4234. On par with Cpt America, but probably less than Thor/Rag.

And, yeah...hoping this weekend's tourney is good for me.
  • Same here. Level 72 and building icon_e_smile.gif

Anticipating that a Level 141 IM 40 is going to do some serious damage, judging by the counts I'm seeing even at Level 72. Just the aforementioned problem of amassing the AP to unload it!