Power Changes Involving Team-Up Tiles (2/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    What I find telling about this entire thread, with nearly 100 posts and 5000 views is that Brigby's original post still has 0 up-votes.

Now that's just typical. Someone has gone and spoiled what was a very understated, nay unspoken, critique of the post.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm sure this has been covered but I want to complain too!

Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) - Arcane Incantation

So basically we have a power that just does NOTHING for the player now?! Because it always does one of three things. Goes smack into a corner or on a side where I get nothing. Goes into a spot completely surrounded by team up tiles where I usually get a really great result or it makes a match 3 blue and immediately is destroyed! Why did you feel the need to nerf a power that only worked for the player around 30% of the time? Is the AI controlled Switch still going to get perfect placement? None of the rest really matter but this one sucks!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As someone who uses Switch in a number of team combinations, this is a huge issue that makes her far less valuable. There are generally lots of team-up tiles on the board in the very nature of this game. Player's don't actively match them very often and the AI stops matching them once it has enough to fire its team up power. Therefore in many games, you have a higher number of team up tiles than you would normally predict using basic statistics based on how many should be on a random board. Did the developers factor this into their planning? Wouldn't just be easier to change the wording of the the power to say any non-special tiles instead of changing her power? Editing text would have been a whole lot easier and better for the game than editing a large list of powers and drastically impacting certain characters.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ludaa wrote:
    10:1 odds it's a bug they just decided to roll with by changing descriptions.

Or they might be making efforts to destroy the functionality of commonly used teams like Charlie's Angels. Is Slowfinite next?
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also really unhappy with this change. I used Switch a couple of times this morning, and had 0 tiles change several times because (a) it got placed in the corner, (b) it got placed in the middle of TU Tiles, (c) it got placed into a blue match-3, or d (a+b) Didn't get any match 5s or even 4s. Her green also got nerfed by this change, so I have little use for her anymore.

The change to Cyclops' blue and red is also annoying, but less of a deal breaker. I used both of these countless times to get that 10th TU tile. I suggest if you are going to make one power dependent on having enough AP of another tile, to change that AP requirement so that it's not something the other powers can't target.

Changing these mid-season is also pretty freaking annoying.

/end rant
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why was this explanation of a ghost change de-sticky-ed so quickly while the post regarding changes to the strange sights event that has already ended is still up?
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think it is safe to say this is one of the worse changes made to MPQ in a long while. The developers need to reverse this mess before it destroys the game even more.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    Why was this explanation of a ghost change de-sticky-ed so quickly while the post regarding changes to the strange sights event that has already ended is still up?

Because players don't like it, and they want it to disappear rather than respond.
  • alpaca
    Options
    Silver Surfer's silver singularity is noticeably less effective now since sometimes the optimal placing of the black hole is on a Team-Up tile. Why nerf a 5 star that needs help staying relevant with his peers? I'm particularly affected since SS is my only champed 5 star and I use him frequently.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

Because players don't like it, and they want it to disappear rather than respond.

No, they simply unstickied the wrong post.. right.. right?
  • deadtaco
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

Doesn't look like it at this point. I don't think they want Brigby or anyone giving any further explanation about this.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

Doesn't look like it at this point. I don't think they want Brigby or anyone giving any further explanation about this.

We need to make sure this doesn't go away until they fix this. Keep this article active.
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this will turn out to be a "Hey, everyone! So, this changed!" icon_e_geek.gif

*Crickets*
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DJSquiggy wrote:
    I mean, the tile has the ability to show up almost anywhere on the board. If the power was changed to only spawn on Blue...

Oh how i'd love for her CD to spawn only on blue. If there's a match 4 or match 5 available, you can bet your mpq life on the CD to ruin it. I'd love if that changed.
  • deadtaco
    Options
    JablesMc wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this will turn out to be a "Hey, everyone! So, this changed!" icon_e_geek.gif

*Crickets*

dev meeting :

"So these character's abilities are not following exactly what their description says they will do. I found the code, it was an easy fix."

"Oh thank god. People are always on us about how we break things all the time, this will be an easy win! Put it out in production post-haste!"

"Should we let them know this change is coming?"

"Why?!? We are fixing the game, this show progress! They will love us for get a fix out there so fast!"
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arphaxad wrote:
    We need to make sure this doesn't go away until they fix this. Keep this article active.

Sad to say, that's never worked. The Galactus issue just drifted away. Boss Rush was met with mostly silence until we got bored of posting.

Eventually a mod will come here and tell us not to bump unless we have something to contribute. Eventually people will realise their contributions feel more like whining, even if they're valid, and they'll stop posting. The devs will never answer it, the feature will go along as normal and we'll all just sigh and never use the affected characters again.

This, too, shall pass.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arphaxad wrote:

Sad to say, that's never worked. The Galactus issue just drifted away. Boss Rush was met with mostly silence until we got bored of posting.

Eventually a mod will come here and tell us not to bump unless we have something to contribute. Eventually people will realise their contributions feel more like whining, even if they're valid, and they'll stop posting. The devs will never answer it, the feature will go along as normal and we'll all just sigh and never use the affected characters again.

This, too, shall pass.

True but to be fair, they specifically stated in the post "We will be monitoring this change to ensure that it doesn't create a negative impact on the game". Clearly this has a very negative impact on the players who play the game.
  • sophomeric
    sophomeric Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Does monitoring for negative changes include the rate of usage of certain characters? I'd expect to see people using Switch a lot less for example. With gauntlet running so long alone usage is probably down across the board. I haven't had a reason to use nearly any of these characters right now because of that so it hasn't even started to affect me. I agree with making things consistent in general but I'd vote to take the approach of updating their texts to say they include TU tiles in their effects or just say that basic tiles are any without some other special purpose (countdown, strike, etc) which is how I've personally always considered it and thought it was.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After using Beast today I feel confident in saying this change increases cascades in moves that cause random tile destruction. Fighting against Switch I didn't see any evidence that she is significantly less effective. I still feel that overall this is a positive change.
  • deadtaco
    Options
    I still feel that overall this is a positive change.

That it is/was good/bad is subjective (I am ok with it overall). The thing that gets me is that they released the change but did not say anything until people noticed something was different and reported it as a bug. That is a failure on many levels.