Power Changes Involving Team-Up Tiles (2/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Up to 5 AP per 4 turns. If you're unlucky, you don't get squat.

The obvious cost is bringing a character that does nothing else outside of rng passive that is supposed to generate purple. Hex is garbage, Reality Crush costs too much, doesn't deal enough dmg, stun is random, and you won't use it if the whole purpose is to fuel another character.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think people are overreacting here. I played a few matches with SW and she still created a match 5 most of the time.

The strategy changes a little. If the CD tile is surrounded by TU tiles as others have said can happen, then there's a really good chance you can just match them away. She'll still be one of my most-used 3's.

The terminology is debatable, but TU tiles are different than basic colored tiles, so I'm fine with the changes. Anything to improve consistency and clarity in descriptions is helpful.

The mistake made here was poor communication. It should have been announced before it went live. Maybe the devs thought people wouldn't notice, or maybe it slipped in like the DP background, either way these changes should be announced first.
  • CaptTrick
    CaptTrick Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It wasn't made clear, is this coming in the next patch or is it a hotfix being implemented now?

Also, for what it's worth, i would like to see a game-changing update like this implemented in the off-season.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 699 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Coubii wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    ... We will be monitoring this change to ensure that it doesn't create a negative impact on the game.

Sorry, but on this one: I don't believe you.

The question is - Negative impact for whom?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pants1000 wrote:
    I think people are overreacting here. I played a few matches with SW and she still created a match 5 most of the time.

The strategy changes a little. If the CD tile is surrounded by TU tiles as others have said can happen, then there's a really good chance you can just match them away. She'll still be one of my most-used 3's.

The terminology is debatable, but TU tiles are different than basic colored tiles, so I'm fine with the changes. Anything to improve consistency and clarity in descriptions is helpful.

The mistake made here was poor communication. It should have been announced before it went live. Maybe the devs thought people wouldn't notice, or maybe it slipped in like the DP background, either way these changes should be announced first.

And not only announced, but also explained and rationalized (even if unpopular). What exactly are the devs trying to accomplish? Why did you feel the need to suddenly change a behavior that has existed for years? Why is this change worth alienating players? Sell us on why this is good. And if you can't, let that be your own indication that it isn't.

Perhaps explaining the problem that you're trying to fix will help it go over a little better. Because, as of right now, I have no idea what this fixes. But, I do see what it makes worse.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:
    Up to 5 AP per 4 turns. If you're unlucky, you don't get squat.
    More like 7 or 8 AP on a good transformation.
  • Histamiel
    Histamiel Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    CaptTrick wrote:
    It wasn't made clear, is this coming in the next patch or is it a hotfix being implemented now?

Also, for what it's worth, i would like to see a game-changing update like this implemented in the off-season.

It is already implemented. I played a few games with icon_scarletwitch.png during the weekend and she never turn an TU into a purple tile. I even face the worst case scenario: CD in an corner and surrounded by 3 TU and none get changed when the CD resolves.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    so Arcane Incantation can't change a team up, but its placement can overwrite a team up?
    that second question is rhetorical as i had it happen twice in a row to make blue matches
    (no big deal as Peggy was on my team)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ythik wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    We can only hope IM40 gets the axe eventually too, he deserved it more. He is a great example of a broken character.

The game plays better and is more fun with strong battery characters to pair with strong heroes with direct damaging abilities. If the problem is that we're using specific battery characters too often, the answer is to add more and better battery characters, not to nerf the ones that exist to the point of near-uselessness.

I have to agree with this, especially since the majority of PvE fights are againist goons which are nothing but batteries.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The change being good or bad for the game is obviously debatable. Just look at this thread!

What is not up for debate is that this change was implemented with no notice and this change was posted only after several players noticed the change and were reporting it as a bug. That is what people should be most upset about.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was pretty disappointed to find out that 4* Cyclops got (what I consider to be) a nerf almost immediately after becoming my first 4* champion.

I don't have much positive to say about it so I'll leave everyone with a question to think about:

If they had given us a Phoenix cover (or we had earned it with the couples promo) would they have nerfed her too?
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tgibbs40 wrote:
    I was pretty disappointed to find out that 4* Cyclops got (what I consider to be) a nerf almost immediately after becoming my first 4* champion.

I don't have much positive to say about it so I'll leave everyone with a question to think about:

If they had given us a Phoenix cover (or we had earned it with the couples promo) would they have nerfed her too?

They are secretly watching your roster, and making decisions based on what will inconvenience you the most.

Watch out. It happened to a guy I know...
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After reading through this thread got me thinking about TU AP and its weird rules exceptions, I created a discussion topic about TU AP's place in the game, and whether it should even exist. I think it's about time they got rid of TU AP as it is and made white/grey into a 7th basic AP color. Discussion link below for those interested/incensed:

Getting rid of Team-Up tiles
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:
    After reading through this thread got me thinking about TU AP and its weird rules exceptions, I created a discussion topic about TU AP's place in the game, and whether it should even exist. I think it's about time they got rid of TU AP as it is and made white/grey into a 7th basic AP color. Discussion link below for those interested/incensed:

Getting rid of Team-Up tiles

Maybe we could replace them with a different kind of tile... Maybe Environmental Tiles...

1633c6.jpg
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The timing of this nerf is suspect, just a few weeks after Carol's release. I guess the early adopters were abusing of that yellow too much, because Switch has been with us for almost two full years and nothing had been done about her blue. I can only image the forum outcry if Carol had been nerfed so I guess this is the lesser of two evils for the devs.

I'll be the first to admit that I use Scarlet Witch way too much. Though, that has more to do with the fact that I'm almost a 100% PVE player currently. In PVP I don't use her anymore unless I want a fast win. She was good not just for the purple battery, but the board shake and the crit tile creation. Most problematic thing about this nerf is that all those benefits, not only one, suffer. Actually, I think I would be more inclined to give up the free purple AP over crit creation and board shake.

This power at the very worst should give you at least a free four-match, just placing two or three purple tiles on the board because team up tiles is terrible value. I see three options:

1.- Reduce her countdown by one, or

2.- Increase the area to 5 x 5 and increase the number of purple tiles generated, or

3.- Keep the power as it was before, but the created purple tiles don't generate AP.

The thing that bugs me the most is that no matter how many things the devs do, we still don't have enough incentives to match team up tiles. Team-ups are always an after-thought, you plan your game around your three guys, not your three team-ups. Give us something better to do with team-up AP and we might actually start matching it more.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What I find telling about this entire thread, with nearly 100 posts and 5000 views is that Brigby's original post still has 0 up-votes.
  • Zappa
    Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The real question is why are they spending time and energy fixing something non-game-breaking when there are tons of other things that require attention and would result in adulation instead of animosity.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Zappa wrote:
    The real question is why are they spending time and energy fixing something non-game-breaking when there are tons of other things that require attention and would result in adulation instead of animosity.
    It is because of the abilities of NEW characters they are developing. A guess would be that Coulson or another new character in the works has something special to do with TU as opposed to basic color tiles, or something upcoming requiring a better basic-tile distinction.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Omega Red wrote:
    The timing of this nerf is suspect, just a few weeks after Carol's release. I guess the early adopters were abusing of that yellow too much, because Switch has been with us for almost two full years and nothing had been done about her blue. I can only image the forum outcry if Carol had been nerfed so I guess this is the lesser of two evils for the devs.

I'll be the first to admit that I use Scarlet Witch way too much. Though, that has more to do with the fact that I'm almost a 100% PVE player currently. In PVP I don't use her anymore unless I want a fast win. She was good not just for the purple battery, but the board shake and the crit tile creation. Most problematic thing about this nerf is that all those benefits, not only one, suffer. Actually, I think I would be more inclined to give up the free purple AP over crit creation and board shake.

This power at the very worst should give you at least a free four-match, just placing two or three purple tiles on the board because team up tiles is terrible value. I see three options:

1.- Reduce her countdown by one, or

2.- Increase the area to 5 x 5 and increase the number of purple tiles generated, or

3.- Keep the power as it was before, but the created purple tiles don't generate AP.

The thing that bugs me the most is that no matter how many things the devs do, we still don't have enough incentives to match team up tiles. Team-ups are always an after-thought, you plan your game around your three guys, not your three team-ups. Give us something better to do with team-up AP and we might actually start matching it more.

Carol's green power got semi-broken with this patch. Supposedly a bug....
  • Ythik
    Ythik Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Rick OShay wrote:
    It is because of the abilities of NEW characters they are developing. A guess would be that Coulson or another new character in the works has something special to do with TU as opposed to basic color tiles, or something upcoming requiring a better basic-tile distinction.

If consistency and/or linguistics for future heroes is really the issue, they could've easily made this change and accompanied it with an update to all of the affected characters' power descriptions to say these powers affect basic tiles and team up tiles. Now the language is consistent, but no one's powers have actually been changed.