Power Changes Involving Team-Up Tiles (2/18/17)

Options

Comments

• irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bumping this topic so the Dev's don't forget this terrible decision in light of their new terrible decisions.

Given many people including myself will be running SW/RHulk this week, this has a big impact on the game. I'm already generating fewer tiles with SW and in some cases have 1 tile change (hello corner countdown surrounded by TU tiles).

Please revert this change immediately.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Better idea, there is an issue with teamup tiles? Vault them! Got to make things better, right?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    n25philly wrote:
    Better idea, there is an issue with teamup tiles? Vault them! Got to make things better, right?

Vaulting tiles probably isn't the answer you're looking for. Team-Up tiles are the most recently released tile type icon_e_wink.gif
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    n25philly wrote:

Vaulting tiles probably isn't the answer you're looking for. Team-Up tiles are the most recently released tile type icon_e_wink.gif

Damn, I thought vaulting was the answer to everything... What if we vault away every other tile? That will surely make the game more fun!
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    The nerf to Cyclops, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch are pretty significant in my opinion

I use Cyclops a lot to gain needed AP for his Called Shot this literally could mean the difference between a win and a loss against the likes of a boss. Granted I usually pair him with Storm so she can gather TU ap but this is takes away from his self acceleration and makes him less useful overall.

Scarlet Witch's CD tile not converting TU tiles is even more significant because TU tiles are the ones I match only when I want to make a "pass" move so they're always there. Add in the fact that it often gets placed on the side or in a corner where it's least effective and it severely cripples her usefulness. Changing her ability to include TU tiles wouldn't break the metagame in my opinion.

Quicksilver is one that I use mainly for his tile swapping abilities with Professor X. The fact that he can no longer swap TU tiles means when Prof X fills the board with special tiles, there's no option for QS to clear anything. I don't think this ability hurt the metagame and it seems unnecessary.

The other problem I have with changes like this is it screws up people's rosters. It takes months of effort and hours of research and getting advice to make the best moves for our roster so we can get ahead. It seems unfair to go through all of that, only to have some of the more useful characters you fought hard for crippled, which knocks you back a couple of levels. If changes like this are to be made, I ask that you would consider adding something to balance things out first.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I noticed that the wording to some of the affected powers have also been changed now. Cyclops' blue originally read: "Destroys the selected tile". Now it reads: "Destroys a selected basic tile".

On the flip side, Bullseye's green originally read: "chosen basic tiles". Now it reads: "chosen basic or Team-Up tiles". Don't get me wrong, I am relieved that Bullseye has been spared. But if his power's wording was changed to accommodate the new definition of "basic tile" and preserve the old effect, why not others also?

And even though she isn't on the list, it seems Quake's blue has also been nerfed. I used to be able to get rid of team-up tiles with it, but not any more. However, its wording never explicitly said basic tiles only. Just "random tiles of that color".
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The nerf to Cyclops, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch are pretty significant in my opinion
    I agree with pretty much everything in your post. I get that Scarlet Witch was really strong, but even if the devs felt like they absolutely had to downgrade her blue, shouldn't they have reduced the AP cost of her purple, or maybe improved her green? I have been trying to use her with Red Hulk during the current PVE and it's definitely harder to justify putting her in my team - I'm sure it's confirmation bias, but it feels incredibly common for her CD to convert only one or two tiles.

The change to Cyclops is more subtle, but it does reduce his efficiency both in collecting red AP and, as you noted, that last TU AP to put him over the edge.
    Even worse, it makes no sense to me thematically - he is one of the primary "Leadership" characters in the Marvel Universe, yet he can't target TU tiles. This is particularly nonsensical for his blue which is named "Called Shot" and implies absolute precision targeting (the same can be said for Winter Soldier's "Precision Shot"). Cyclops is still strong, but I get annoyed by this change every single time I play with him.

Quicksilver, meanwhile, has been downgraded from a niche character into a really niche character. I used QS a ton during my time in 3* land and he was super fun to play - IMO he was one of the most "puzzle" oriented characters in the entire game. There were a few cheesy combinations that involved him (notably QS+Iron Fist+underleveled Prof X) but I sure didn't see huge amounts of people abusing him. This change will unfortunately put him on the shelf for me. He has to have as many match-five options as possible to make his black truly effective, and removing TU tiles from the equation really limits what he can do.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby

Any news on this topic at all ? It's been two weeks and players have given many feedbacks indicating negative impact on the game-play. You mentioned in the OP that there will be monitoring to ensure no negative impact happens to the game (which clearly there is). Will there be any re-doing the change at all ? Should I give up and accept that this change is another characters devalue in disguise ?
  • naps8906
    naps8906 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Its funny that I have not seen any Switch+IF+LC combo in the current IF PvP... loll... Switch is officially dead in usefulness... They should just delete this character
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    naps8906 wrote:
    Its funny that I have not seen any Switch+IF+LC combo in the current IF PvP... loll... Switch is officially dead in usefulness... They should just delete this character

That and the fact that now even her Random Stun is less useful.. poor SW.. soon her Green won't even generate AP
  • Infrared
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that I saw a Demolisher (symbiote goon) change a couple team-up tiles to green with its Chew the Scenery power. Can anyone confirm? The power description reads "converts 3 basic tiles to green".
  • Infrared
    Options
    Confirmed!

glX45dV.pngQw31EsG.pngYsZajxn.pngkPlvGba.png
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    naps8906 wrote:

That and the fact that now even her Random Stun is less useful.. poor SW.. soon her Green won't even generate AP

and now in her pvp, my SW keeps mmaking match 5 (which stuns me by the opposing Jean). Where as AI keeps getting 2x match 3s, then i eat Jean's purple
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    as i posted eariler it's funny that Arcane Incantation can't change team up tiles but its placement can overwrite one

and yes demolishers can change team ups to green
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I actually looked forward to red shift this time round thanks to the change to SW and presto...easy peasy. I saw a match 5 one time and I played it up to 900 points. Never need to be afraid of switch ever again.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wanda's nerf has relegated her down to bottom tier, there are far better purple users in the 3* tier now she doesn't even make purple matches 80% of the time. Her green is middling at best and outclasses by the likes of MoStorm.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bumping this topic again.  Given all of the terrible decisions that the devs have made its easy to get the ones that were made just 2-3 months ago that ruined several characters.  

Scarlett Witch is a joke now.  You need to revert this.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, before I read about the change on the forums, I was playing her and kept getting confused as to why the number of tiles she changed was different each time and couldn't figure it out.  Was going to report a bug when I came on here and read about it.  I was irritated to say the least.  Not enough "random" with her I guess.  Random creation of her blue CD that several times creates a blue match then disappears, gets dropped in a spot to be matched by the AI the next turn, gets placed in a corner, I used to love it getting placed by TU's when playing her with Charles and those other special tiles being placed everywhere.
    She randomly stuns someone, she randomly selects tiles with her green (and seldom the special tile I want gone).  It became apparent very quickly that she was no longer as functional as she was intended to be when created (and tested?) well before this change went into effect.

With this change should have come TESTING, not a "lets wait and see how it works out" mentality that came with this change.  You were astute enough to list the powers that this would impact, but not enough to thoroughly test them and make necessary exceptions to characters that were only functional because this problem existed.

Since you never seem to undo these types of changes, your next option would be to adjust powers to characters negatively effected by it such as SW.  change her description and coding to include TU's as tiles that can be changed.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I still think that this was a bug that they decided to make into a wide nerf. Because every other nerf they put out there has been communicated beforehand and put into patch notes BEFORE it hits the game, but this one left us wondering for a week before Brigby made this thread. 

Maybe it was bad communication, but Brigby is usually on top of this stuff. 
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have 2 switch's because I used to run her so much. Now it seems the tile always get stuck between TU tiles or down in the corner. 

It always depressing to watch her CD tile spawn in the corner surrounded by TU tiles, only to finally fire and reform in another corner  :'(