Power Changes Involving Team-Up Tiles (2/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    granne wrote:
    There is no way TU tiles are basic tiles. They can't be charged, turned into traps or countdowns, and they can't become strike, attack or protect tiles.
    As a matter of fact, TU tiles CAN be traps or even countdown tiles. The first one is rather obvious (just use Fury's or Bucky's blue), the second one appeared only in one event... Was it Boss Rush? I can't recall.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Star Lord used to be able to change team ups into countdowns with sleight of hand

certainly Spider Woman can place traps on team up tiles
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Please revert that for Scarlet Witch (change her power to affect "all non-special tiles", no inconsistency then). Thank you. icon_e_smile.gif
  • MarcSpector68
    MarcSpector68 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    When will the Devs stop nerfing characters. Uhg...
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    granne wrote:
    There is no way TU tiles are basic tiles. They can't be charged, turned into traps or countdowns, and they can't become strike, attack or protect tiles.

People have already commented on traps and countdowns, but as far as the others, that is due to the mechanics of powers that change a tile, those always specify the colour that they will be creating the special tile on and have so far not included TU tiles, if anything you could say that this made them even more basic tiles. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I clearly had a brain fart about the trap tiles, because I know that I get grumpy whenever my Spiderwoman puts hers on TU tiles. I didn't know that countdowns could be put on TU tiles, because I've never seen that. Who does it?

As for protect, strike and attack tiles being colour-specific, I'll just point out that that isn't the case for CMags, 3* Bullseye or either Torch. The last of those actively skips the TU tiles when placing his attack tiles.

Edited to fix typo.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Infrared wrote:
    The Idle Hands nerf is a significant blow to my favorite pve team of QS + PX + OML. icon_cry.gif
    Agreed, this is definitely a significant nerf to Quicksilver. I use him to sustain my turn with match fives. You need maximum board control to do this. Putting TUs out of his reach makes this far more difficult.

Also, this is indeed a negative for War Machine since the point of his green is board shake, and always had the same issues as Switch (random placement, and less effective in corner/edge or around special tiles).
  • GigDgee
    GigDgee Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is a very "feels bad" change for the game. I'll admit that on the surface it might seem like a slight shift in wording, and only a few characters are affected in a significant way. But has anyone thought to themselves, "ooh, I think I'll try that character now that they've been reworked"? No. It seems like most people are saying, "well, that character is dead to me."

The devs need to be striving for positive changes, maybe consider buffing all those garbage characters that get played 0% of the time outside of being a required character.

You know what would be a much better idea? The exact opposite of this nerf. Just treat team up tiles as basic tiles.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The issue with war machine isn't as significant in my opinion.

For switch the way to fix is easy. (without reverting back that is) make her CD tile generate 1 purple AP per turn and remove its transform function. Same effect. People might moan about the lack of match 5 but as this thread has established that happened rarely before anyway.

This change would make her a very reliable battery.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The issue with war machine isn't as significant in my opinion.

For switch the way to fix is easy. (without reverting back that is) make her CD tile generate 1 purple AP per turn and remove its transform function. Same effect. People might moan about the lack of match 5 but as this thread has established that happened rarely before anyway.

This change would make her a very reliable battery.

If you're going that route, maybe just change it so instead of changing tiles, it gives you a number of purple AP equal to the number of tiles she would have switched prior to this change? Definitely not as good (no board shake, no match-5, etc) but not quite as bad as what it currently is.
  • peterjb37
    peterjb37 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    "Her CD is pretty much useless if it's in a bad spot"

Looks like you might have to *gasp!* set up its CD area before it sets off instead of just leaving it alone and watching it fire.

It sounds to me like you never use Scarlet Witch, because literally 90% of the time the game puts the countdown tile on the wall or in the corner and now we have to deal with it being surrounded by team-up tiles, and no, they won't be easy matches to get rid of.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    The hyperbole around here is ridiculous.

"Her other powers are irrelevant!"

Yeah. Nothing's more irrelevant than a powerful AOE that stuns a character for 5 friggin turns.

"She's nerfed by 15%!"

This is such a COMPLETELY FABRICATED number with no stats to back it up (along with her "underperforming a third of the time".... and now "underperforming nearly half of the time".) how long until she's unplayable? Idk and idc. She's not unplayable with this "nerf" so who cares about down the road.

"The power is all but useless!"

L
    O
    L

You know what? Forget it. Either they change it back or they don't. I know how to play the game and to (most importantly) think through most situations and maximize my teams and characters abilities. No skin off my back.
    Her other powers are irrelevant. She exists to battery purple for other characters, it is her only role. Making her suck at her only role is what is happening here. Her best build is 3/5/5 so don't act like the 5 turn stun was ever a reason to play her.

You say "no skin off my back" as if losing a character that is important to the 4* transition losing her ability to contribute is acceptable because that isn't where you are. Congrats, but that doesn't make it a good design decision.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Since no one has mentioned it, Dr. Strange is only listed for his 5-star version, which (although the power doesn't mention it) presumably creates the Eye on just basic tiles, and now cannot create it on TU tiles, since TU tiles aren't basic for some reason.

Personally I think the change is unnecessary. Was Customer Support really getting many emails about the specifics of Team-Up tiles?

Interesting that Switch was the only cascade converter affected, so presumably Iron Fist, Hulk and MNMags only affected colored tiles already. I think enough has been already said about that. She'll survive...

Though Beast and Groot won't notice the difference (except for a few more TU left over from their cascades), it will sort of buff the AP-generation of Squirrel Girl and Switch's Green--since you won't get (usually unwanted) TU AP from them anymore. But it punishes precision targeters (QS, 4Cyc, WS, etc) far more by reducing the options they have. Again, seems unnecessary to me.

I think this sets off a great design question of what TU AP is supposed to accomplish, and why they've chosen to have one color with arbitrary restrictions in the first place.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not a single one of those was necessary to nerf. Change them back & stop breaking the game. Try spending some time on the bugs & less on breaking things that work great the way they are.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Having played with SW after these changes a few times, I'm pretty confident to be calling this a nerf for her. You're now lucky to get even a match-3 out of her countdown (if you can get it to fire at all), let alone a match-4 or match-5.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That moment when: your grinding out gauntlet levels for a 2* cover and you try to use QS for a double match and win BUT doesn't work,don't know why?, oh and then next turn you get your snowman punched. icon_cry.gif
    le sigh: this does not make the game very fun right now.

Remember back in the day when we had awesome events like Strange Sights and cool new characters like medusa? and the progression was possible, I've heard tales told that there was actually a narrative at one point that made deep rosters useful.
    -now we have featured characters with no discernible relation in story, power set, or color coverage, you can doppleganger through any match, OLD events with no updating, and unannounced over a holiday nerfing
    -next week we will get a coulson who is probably same tier as fury[he is NOT = to fury;even as director] and when Guardians 2 drops they will throw a Mantis at us who should be no more than a 2*. and then the week following their release it will be Venom Bomb again.

I would like to see the game go in a net positive direction: if your going to tone down functionality of the power sets, then up the match damage from TU's, If your going to rerun an old unpopular event(gauntlet,VB) give alliance progression awards, if you overscale goon nodes up the player power damage at corresponding levels. if your going to have statistically nominal chance of pulling 13 5* covers up the odds of 5* with each addition to classics.

This game is still really awesome and mostly fun to play, mostly. They have the proven skills and a great track record of making the game better. I have to believe their goal is to make it more fun for EVERYONE(whales&newbs). Its a game I invest in(time& $) and I care about the final product but just like a pro sports team where the complaints are mirrored and common:
    - need a small forward-need more villains
    - GM needs a coach who can respond in second half-for real CS is terrible
    - they don't care about winning they just want to merchandise-you get a prize if you tweet the marvel brand
    - they signed an injured player for cap space?-agent venom...wha?
    every armchair quarterback and barstool play caller has great ideas and can second guess whats happening. Fans just don't have an impact on the outcome of sports games but with this game; supposedly; they listen to this forum. Which usually has some really solid help. My gameplay has improved and my enjoyment has increased because of reading and mining it. today though; forum sounds sounds like a drunk uncle arguing about a ref call with gutter sniping and vitriol reserved for an NFL Patriots forum. Let's go back to discussing how to get over this latest change(boosts?), more discussion of who to use as an alternate to switch(cho? KK?), suggesting rational revisions to the change and quality analysis of what this will mean.

so until they release a 5* Morph with three passives make mine MPQ!
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2017
    Options
    fanghoul wrote:
    Unless she was strongly overperforming before

She really was over-performing when you consider that she was a must have accelerator for a handful of teams. She was probably only behind IM40 in terms of a 3* that gets plenty of play even from the 5* crowd precisely because she could cause massive cascades in addition to creating purple every 3 turns for free. I don't think the change renders her useless by any stretch of the imagination, it will slow down some of the bigger cascades she creates but I've used her the last few days and she is still generating matches, just not necessarily match 5s that snowball into giant cascades. Will make her slightly more niche but hardly gamebreaking.
    Skrofa wrote:
    Yeap! I can tell you that I have been having a lot of fun watching her cd tile spawning on the edge with two tu tiles around it. Only to match it and then again spawns on the edge. No tus this time, but... Edge... All in all, throughout the entire match it spawned six times on the edge, one time next to two blues and automatched immediately, 3 times somewhere around the middle. Of those three times, 3 adjacent tiles were tu. And only once were they in a position to be matched away so they would not bother me.

Loads and loads of fun!
    Right now I am considering a 5/5/3 build or scrapping her altogether

Hyperbole much? I played with her quite a bit the last couple of days in the Gauntlet. Sometimes it will land in a corner and be useless for 4 turns. Sometimes it will land in the center and get matched away. Sometimes it will cause a massive cascade and end the match by itself. I was still seeing plenty of match 4s and match 5s using it, usually at least two in the course of a match. She's still plenty good as a free accelerator for anyone who uses purple since it is a passive.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Booo. especially on my <3 Wanda Maximoff

also lol @ this in general. like how long has Moonstone been in this game, 3+ years? and just now devs figure to make her powers consistent.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GigDgee wrote:
    This is a very "feels bad" change for the game. I'll admit that on the surface it might seem like a slight shift in wording, and only a few characters are affected in a significant way. But has anyone thought to themselves, "ooh, I think I'll try that character now that they've been reworked"? No. It seems like most people are saying, "well, that character is dead to me."

The devs need to be striving for positive changes, maybe consider buffing all those garbage characters that get played 0% of the time outside of being a required character.

You know what would be a much better idea? The exact opposite of this nerf. Just treat team up tiles as basic tiles.

It's definitely a buff to 2* Capt. Marvel who I've used a lot since starting the game and who still occupies a place in my DDQ everyday. Since more TU end up on the board as a result of the changes her yellow now has even more opportunities to cause cascades.

Also a slight buff to 3* Cyke for the same reasons, now more spots for red to land on for his yellow power.

And finally indirectly a buff to all the characters that have good team up abilities since that AP has to go somewhere and will need to be matched out in some cases to prepare for abilities like Switch purple. So definitely a buff for 1* Black Widow. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Orti
    Orti Posts: 20
    Options
    icon_e_surprised.gif this is the end of winfinite icon_e_surprised.gif