Power Changes Involving Team-Up Tiles (2/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

Some powers have been changed in the way they handle Team-Up tiles. Team-Up tiles are not considered Basic tiles, but some powers where still treating them as such. We will be changing a handful of powers to remain consistent in this rule. We will be monitoring this change to ensure that it doesn't create a negative impact on the game.

In what world are TU tiles not basic, they only give ap that can be used for their specific colour's powers and have no other purpose, sounds pretty basic to me.

When you consider how disproportionately this impacts some characters compared with others, it would have been far better to have made all characters treat TU tiles as the basic ones that they are, rather than nerfing so many.
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree that this is a terrible change! My only 4* championed is Jean, and without Scarlett Witch to feed her purple, she also receives a 2nd hand nerf. Doing this in the middle of a season is unbelievably bad timing for something that effect so many players/characters, both directly and indirectly. Please roll this change back!
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    "Her CD is pretty much useless if it's in a bad spot"

Looks like you might have to *gasp!* set up its CD area before it sets off instead of just being brain dead, leaving it alone and watching it fire.

Heaven forbid, you guys have to do/plan anything.

I can only presume you dont use Switch all that much to make a statement like that. The amount of times her CD is positioned badly is extremely often and quite often its not possible to set up the area to be more useful to you while also dealing with the opponents trying to kill you.

I use Switch. I just don't rely on her. Sometimes her CD is in the corner. So I either suck it up and accept that I'm not gonna get a free cascade or I match it/destroy it so it moves somewhere more advantageous. Sometimes the CD is near the middle of the board but nowhere near any purple. Or the purple around the CD is probably gonna get matched. So I move the board around to try to get that cascade.

The CD being in a bad place isn't new. This "nerf" isn't that big a deal.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is the most rediculus change.. out of all the things that need to be fixed or re-looked at and you choose this?! Cyke will still be serviceable but SW is tarnished in my opinion. SWs CD ieither gives good amount of AP or some to none.. now it will produce more of the latter.

They could have easily changed the wording to "chosen tile" like Steve Rogers but instead they changed the coding then leave for a 3 day weekend. Not cool.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agreed with TW about SWitch, this is a very FAIR change for her. Too many players rely on her in a cheap way. Dang, maybe now you have to actually earn it more... It's not like they changed the power completely, she's far from ruined, geez.
    I've had her champed for a long time.
    Now, playing -against- her will be much more enjoyable too!

Stinks about 4Clops, but I'll deal with it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Agreed with TW about SWitch, this is a very FAIR change for her. Too many players rely on her in a cheap way. Dang, maybe now you have to actually earn it more... It's not like they changed the power completely, she's far from ruined, geez.
    I've had her champed for a long time.
    Now, playing -against- her will be much more enjoyable too!

Stinks about 4Clops, but I'll deal with it.

Many ppl rely on her because the PvE scaling is atrocious.. fix the scaling before you nerf the characters
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    We will be monitoring this change to ensure that it doesn't create a negative impact on the game.

Too late. Scarlet Witch is all but broken now. Had a clean board with a timer surrounded by 4 TU tiles. She generated some purple that did absolutely nothing.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    it's a nerf aimed at one character disguised as a "correction"
    Arcane Incantation's wording should have been changed instead

"We Will be changing"...poor choice of words since the changes had already happened and been reported as bugs
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    "Her CD is pretty much useless if it's in a bad spot"

Looks like you might have to *gasp!* set up its CD area before it sets off instead of just being brain dead, leaving it alone and watching it fire.

Heaven forbid, you guys have to do/plan anything.

I can only presume you dont use Switch all that much to make a statement like that. The amount of times her CD is positioned badly is extremely often and quite often its not possible to set up the area to be more useful to you while also dealing with the opponents trying to kill you.

I use Switch. I just don't rely on her. Sometimes her CD is in the corner. So I either suck it up and accept that I'm not gonna get a free cascade or I match it/destroy it so it moves somewhere more advantageous. Sometimes the CD is near the middle of the board but nowhere near any purple. Or the purple around the CD is probably gonna get matched. So I move the board around to try to get that cascade.

The CD being in a bad place isn't new. This "nerf" isn't that big a deal.

A character with an unreliable and entirely utility-focused ability got changed so that it's less reliable. A lot less reliable. How bad does it have to get before she's unplayable? The change probably affects her performance 10% of the time, but she already underperformed about a third of the time, so now she's down closer to half the time. Do you call that playable? Her other abilities are irrelevant, so this really is something like a straight 15% nerf to her as a character. What other characters would be playable if you nerfed them by 15%? Not many.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    That hasn't changed from before the "nerf".

Previously that would just limit the gains from the power, with this change to TU tiles, it basically renders the power all but useless.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The hyperbole around here is ridiculous.

"Her other powers are irrelevant!"

Yeah. Nothing's more irrelevant than a powerful AOE that stuns a character for 5 friggin turns.

"She's nerfed by 15%!"

This is such a COMPLETELY FABRICATED number with no stats to back it up (along with her "underperforming a third of the time".... and now "underperforming nearly half of the time".) how long until she's unplayable? Idk and idc. She's not unplayable with this "nerf" so who cares about down the road.

"The power is all but useless!"

L
    O
    L

You know what? Forget it. Either they change it back or they don't. I know how to play the game and to (most importantly) think through most situations and maximize my teams and characters abilities. No skin off my back.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The Idle Hands nerf is a significant blow to my favorite pve team of QS + PX + OML. icon_cry.gif
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    howard_icon.pngKnock off the personal attacks in this thread or I will start sending people on vacation. howard_icon.png

The abilities were changed to match the tile description FAQ on the helpdesk (located here). Some characters got buffed, others we impacted in a negative way. The devs will see the metrics and base future decisions off of that so my advice would be to adapt and overcome.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just based on personal experience, I see this being most negative for Scarlet Witch, and also a little annoying with Quicksilver. Can't comment on Cyclops.

I had a lot of opportunities to use Switch in the Matchmaker PvP. She still worked, but it was noticable how much less frequently she created both worthwhile effects and massive rediculous matches.

Unless she was strongly overperforming before, it does feel like she's going to need to either be changed back, or revamped in other ways. Her new countdown now provides less AP and less damage, which is pretty significant for a character that otherwise mostly provides an expensive AoE that deals less than average damage. (Yes, the stun is great when it hits the right enemy, but it's still expensive for the effect.)

I guess this could be a good opportunity to give her a rework a-la Falcon, so she would more frequently be used for her own powers, and less often for used exclusively to fuel other character's powers.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree that TU's should be basic. I'm not sure what is so special about them, they auto-spawn just like the other colors. I do like the nerf to Scarlet Witch though, tile creation should be handled with care and hers was pretty absurd for a passive.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Clearly a minority opinion but I think this is an overall positive change. People seem to be overlooking that a lot of the affected powers are board shake abilities. Excluding a specific tile from random destruction will increase cascades, particularly for powers like Animal Inside that already exclude special tiles. While it may change how some people use Cyclops (can't really comment on that as mine isn't good enough) he's strong enough that it won't be too significant. As to Switch, in particular the idea this makes her useless, nothing could be further from the truth. Her passive was (and still is) hugely beneficial due to the simple fact that it's passive. Even when unreliable auto AP generation is easily one of the most powerful abilities in the game. Add in the fact that this actually increases the strategic and puzzley elements of her power as you now have to think carefully about the benefits of waiting out the CD, matching nearby TU or just removing the CD and hoping it lands somewhere better. Or you could just bring 4* Captain Marvel set the CD off and reset because again it's a passive ability that costs nothing.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Re-do, do right. This is a game killer. icon_evil.gif
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Clearly a minority opinion but I think this is an overall positive change. People seem to be overlooking that a lot of the affected powers are board shake abilities. Excluding a specific tile from random destruction will increase cascades, particularly for powers like Animal Inside that already exclude special tiles. While it may change how some people use Cyclops (can't really comment on that as mine isn't good enough) he's strong enough that it won't be too significant. As to Switch, in particular the idea this makes her useless, nothing could be further from the truth. Her passive was (and still is) hugely beneficial due to the simple fact that it's passive. Even when unreliable auto AP generation is easily one of the most powerful abilities in the game. Add in the fact that this actually increases the strategic and puzzley elements of her power as you now have to think carefully about the benefits of waiting out the CD, matching nearby TU or just removing the CD and hoping it lands somewhere better. Or you could just bring 4* Captain Marvel set the CD off and reset because again it's a passive ability that costs nothing.

Yeap! I can tell you that I have been having a lot of fun watching her cd tile spawning on the edge with two tu tiles around it. Only to match it and then again spawns on the edge. No tus this time, but... Edge... All in all, throughout the entire match it spawned six times on the edge, one time next to two blues and automatched immediately, 3 times somewhere around the middle. Of those three times, 3 adjacent tiles were tu. And only once were they in a position to be matched away so they would not bother me.

Loads and loads of fun!
    Right now I am considering a 5/5/3 build or scrapping her altogether
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I use SWitch most of the time in Shield Sim (with Cage and Fist), so I expect to find this mildly irritating. Calling it game-breaking or character-ruining seems like the kind of hyperbole that will die down quickly and be forgotten about in a couple of weeks.

It will stop people being able to rely on Charlie's Angels, but the last time I checked there were a couple of other characters in the game. The sky isn't falling.

There is no way TU tiles are basic tiles. They can't be charged, turned into traps or countdowns, and they can't become strike, attack or protect tiles.

Right, off to play some Sim and decide if I want to leave Switch out on defence.
  • Xzasxz
    Xzasxz Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    And the purpose of this change is? Anybody knows?Just messing up? It seems that somebody is just making random changes to the code and then D3 instead of fixing them just justifies them. Easier this way. Otherwise there would be announcement before, unless they do not care about players.
    DuckyV wrote:
    :howard: Knock off the personal attacks in this thread or I will start sending people on vacation. howard_icon.png

The abilities were changed to match the tile description FAQ on the helpdesk (located here). Some characters got buffed, others we impacted in a negative way. The devs will see the metrics and base future decisions off of that so my advice would be to adapt and overcome.

Wouldn't it be better to just change the description on a said page? Shouldn't TU tile be treated as a basic tile? As a matter of fast it is one. It has the same basic function as other basic tiles: provide resources. Nothing more.