Power Changes Involving Team-Up Tiles (2/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    I still feel that overall this is a positive change.

That it is/was good/bad is subjective (I am ok with it overall). The thing that gets me is that they released the change but did not say anything until people noticed something was different and reported it as a bug. That is a failure on many levels.

I can accept that.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've played a decent number of matches with SWitch since the change and it honestly hasn't made that much difference to her usefulness. In one match I had three consecutive match-5s, and yes, I probably did have to do a little more setting-up to get them, but that just makes her more puzzle-y and less plug-and-play.

I'm around my floating point in Sim, so I can't be sure, but from the limited hits I've taken, there seem to be fewer defensive wins. But no 3-star team is good on defence, so those were always gravy anyway.

So, from my limited experience: about the same on attack, possibly a little worse on defence (but she was never great at that).
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 699 Critical Contributor
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    I still feel that overall this is a positive change.

That it is/was good/bad is subjective (I am ok with it overall). The thing that gets me is that they released the change but did not say anything until people noticed something was different and reported it as a bug. That is a failure on many levels.

Like when he posted "We will be changing a handful of powers to remain consistent in this rule," making it sound like an upcoming change, when in fact it had already been implemented. That's what bugs me the most.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I feel like maybe last weekend Brigby got a taste of what it's like to be a player in this game, where a bunch of stuff got pushed out and he wasn't aware of it.

Like the removing photos of the new DDQ would be silly if you knew that you could just load up the game and look at the screen.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not listed but this change seams to have affected Thor(3 star.png )'s red/yellow. I used the yellow and it scatters the created greens a lot more. Less connections to help build his green attack faster. Really hurts his utility as a champion and as a team up. icon_cry.gif
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm just wondered. Will we hear any further statement from the Devs or Brigby about this change now that many players have expressed concerns and opinions ? Has this topic been brought up in any meeting/discussion among the devs in the past week ?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    aa25 wrote:
    I'm just wondered. Will we hear any further statement from the Devs or Brigby about this change now that many players have expressed concerns and opinions ? Has this topic been brought up in any meeting/discussion among the devs in the past week ?
    Hi Everyone.

After discussing this topic with the team, it appears that the power changes had been released earlier than intended. We had scheduled this announcement for several days in advance of its release, so we sincerely apologize for any confusion and frustration this may have caused.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    aa25 wrote:
    Hi Everyone.

After discussing this topic with the team, it appears that the power changes had been released earlier than intended. We had scheduled this announcement for several days in advance of its release, so we sincerely apologize for any confusion and frustration this may have caused.

If that is the case, will there be a new decision now that many players have a direct experience with the change and provide feedback ?

In my case, SW and 4Cyke has been significantly under-performing due to the change which is obviously not the objective of the change. I don't have a chance to intensively try other characters yet, but I think many other players have already covered those characters.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    aa25 wrote:
    Hi Everyone.

Thank you Brigby for the update. When can we expect feedback on the changes?

The changes have been negative, specifically 3* Scarlett Witch. Her CD barely resolves in a favorable way now, making it difficult to accumulate enough purple AP for her 14AP ability. It also hurt 4* Cyclops a bit as well. We're hoping their powers can be revert back to overwrite CD tiles so we can fully utilize them again.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    aa25 wrote:
    Hi Everyone.

Thank you for coming through and replying.

While this is certainly their game and they have every right to make changes willy nilly if they want (they don't but could) - would it be too much to ask for a larger window for these kind of wide ranging changes. I know this time the change went out before the announcement, but how early was this announcement supposed to be? Days? I don't think 2 week notice is that outrageous.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arphaxad wrote:
    Not listed but this change seams to have affected Thor(3 star.png )'s red/yellow. I used the yellow and it scatters the created greens a lot more. Less connections to help build his green attack faster. Really hurts his utility as a champion and as a team up. icon_cry.gif

Thor's random tile color conversion has never affected Team-Up tiles, so I can't imagine why it would have changed. Mjolnir's Might was always rubbish at making matches anyways, unless you save up and use it three times in a row (and even then)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    Thank you for coming through and replying.

While this is certainly their game and they have every right to make changes willy nilly if they want (they don't but could) - would it be too much to ask for a larger window for these kind of wide ranging changes. I know this time the change went out before the announcement, but how early was this announcement supposed to be? Days? I don't think 2 week notice is that outrageous.
    I think it would depend on the development cycle of these changes, which varies based on the scope of the project and patch release deadlines, therefore I can anticipate it being a bit hard to guarantee a set amount of announcement time for everything, but I'll bring up the sentiment to them.
  • BIuebell
    BIuebell Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Invisible woman (green) turns all tiles in force bubbles into basic tiles. What colour of basic tiles will team-up tiles in force bubbles be turned into?

(In my humble opinion, team-up tiles should also be considered basic tiles.)
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    BIuebell wrote:
    Invisible woman (green) turns all tiles in force bubbles into basic tiles. What colour of basic tiles will team-up tiles in force bubbles be turned into?

Now they'll make it so that she can't target team-up tiles either. Well done.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    BIuebell wrote:

Now they'll make it so that she can't target team-up tiles either. Well done.

But you can't have special tiles on TU tiles anyway so there isn't a need to lock them. And force bubble-locked TU tiles won't benefit Quicksilver's abilities so does it matter whether she locks TU tiles? (Or do they?) The only reason i can think of is that you want to add more bubbles on the board even if there aren't any special tiles because you've somehow used her green and it generated 4 bubbles and you need more bubbles now before her next green cast. It sounds like an inefficient use of Blue AP.

Coming back to Switch, i've been using her in the deadpool essential node in pve and her blue ability is even worse now in generating match-5s. If creating Match-5s wasn't the intended goal of her ability then at least lower the AP required for Reality Crush. Or revert it to converting Tu tiles as well. That'd be better.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    Coming back to Switch, i've been using her in the deadpool essential node in pve and her blue ability is even worse now in generating match-5s.*

* Unless it's placed by the opposing team's SWitch.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Crowl wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Scarlet witch is something more like Cho now where she will keep a high concentration of purple on the board instead of creating constant 5 matches that I don't believe were intended. Like Cho she has a competent ability for the color she creates too. This is what separates these two characters from broken characters like IM40.

I think you are being overly kind to her purple power, due to having multiple components it is too expensive without a battery and doesn't do enough damage.

If this change did happen due to match 5s (timing seems odd given how long that has been happening in both 4* and 5* era) then they should rework the power completely so it generates purple but not by producing match 5s.

Really? It does average damage for a 3* AOE, but that stun is one of the biggest in game (Off the top of my head it is the biggest stun for a playable character in game). It makes her purple completely viable vs 1 opponent. This is extremely valuable for an AOE.
    Ythik wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    We can only hope IM40 gets the axe eventually too, he deserved it more. He is a great example of a broken character.

The game plays better and is more fun with strong battery characters to pair with strong heroes with direct damaging abilities. If the problem is that we're using specific battery characters too often, the answer is to add more and better battery characters, not to nerf the ones that exist to the point of near-uselessness.

With Scarlet Witch it isn't just about the battery, it is about creating critical tiles, cascades, etc. On top of that it is a passive. You are getting all of these rewards for nothing. In regards to IM40 and Scarlet witches AP ability, Iron Fist's purple seems balanced (its not).

We don't need more batteries performing at their levels. We need the couple that are to stop performing extraordinarily. That couple is now down to 1 (I can live with Iron Fist).
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been using SW consistently again now that we have a real PVE. So far she's doing good, but only because her CDs are surprisingly not appearing in the corners or surrounded by T/Us. The match-5's are less but I was not using her specifically for match-5s (I don't use winfinity) but I need her purple to fuel JG against high scaled goons. So far, so good, we'll see. Any else having OK results with SW?
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've been using SW consistently again now that we have a real PVE. So far she's doing good, but only because her CDs are surprisingly not appearing in the corners or surrounded by T/Us. The match-5's are less but I was not using her specifically for match-5s (I don't use winfinity) but I need her purple to fuel JG against high scaled goons. So far, so good, we'll see. Any else having OK results with SW?

For me, it has definitely had a negative impact. Combining the frequency of the CD showing up on the perimeter, and the opposing team matching it away, it has significantly reduced Switch's efficacy.

That being said, I don't think it's bad enough that it broke the character, just much more inconvenient.

Waah-tinykitty-waah!
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Now I REALLY hate this nerf! Before, when facing Carnage in pve, Jean Grey/Switch was the only reliable way I had (with my roster) to keep Carnage's ridiculously overpowered passive attack tiles from becoming overwhelming in a couple of turns (especially when paired with goons who lay down 2 tiles/turn), as Switch could convert tu tiles to purple so JG could get rid of some of those tiles with her purple power. After 6 fights with Carnage, he placed attack tiles next to my blue countdown tiles 100% of the time that there was an opening. Instead of being able to at least convert a couple of team up tiles, she converted 1 or less tile. With boards that had a remarkably consistent "random" absence of purple tiles, I was taking over a thousand points of damage per turn from a team whose highest level character was under 150. That is ludicrous. If you aren't going to convert a team up tile anymore, at the very least the countdown should turn itself into a purple tile, rather than just disappearing, so you are guaranteed at least ONE purple tile. This was an absolutely terrible idea - it makes the new fix of making older covers unobtainable downright genius by comparison. I love this game, but if you keep trying to ruin it, I may be forced to spend my $ elsewhere.

Brigby, you said this would be reviewed to make sure it does not have a negative effect on the game. IT DOES!!!