Customer Feedback + The Masses

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think maybe there's some misinterpretation going on (maybe).
    But the general consensus I assumed is that some characters should get nerfed, while some characters need buffed.

It works both ways!
    There are def some chars that need buffed.
    But I think for balance purposes it's easier to nerf first.
  • PhantomFO wrote:
    They still shouldn't be nerfing them until the ones that cannot be played at all are fixed so they can get a feel for the balance. Thor has been ruined. Wolvie is still playable.
    How has Thor been ruined? He's no longer outright murdering fools, but his Red still hits hard, his Green is actually useful, and his Yellow followed by Widow's Purple is probably more powerful than Thorverine ever was. Unleash a level 5 yellow. Look at all the tiles that convert. Look how many potential crit tiles there are for Widow to create. Then fire that purple and watch your Match-5s clear the entire board. Your Crits will probably combine with other Crits and create even more baby Crits. Once the dust settles, fire your Sniper Rifle and watch even more cascading death.

Now, Ragnarok? THAT was a nerfing into uselessness.

This has been explained a zillion times now use search.
    I've read a lot of threads with people whining. I'm assuming that must be your definition of an explanation. However, none of those people seem to have used him, because Thor is still one of the best 2*s in the game. He's probably the only one I'd pair up with my 3*s because that Yellow is so amazing when paired with so many heroes. He's not a one-man team anymore, but his presence on a team with Classic Storm, GSBW, Hulk, Ares and/or any Wolverine makes all of those heroes better.

I am also not opposed to the idea of buffing weaker characters (I keep hammering Ragnarok, because oh my lord that nerf went too far). I'm looking forward to what they do for Hawkeye. But Thor and Wolverine were just so far to the extreme that the idea of buffing everyone to their level was just ridiculous. You had a character who could build up to 1k shots that cost 3 Green. You had a nuclear generator who could usually kill at least one 3* in a single turn once he built to 12 Red. And you had the two of them together, which basically made the third team member redundant. If you wanted to kill things quickly, there was no reason to use anyone else.
  • Buffing weak characters is just not that important in a game with so many characters. Sure as a design goal you'd like to say you don't want to have any useless character, but no matter how hard you try you're going to have a character like Bagman that just doesn't work unless you come up with really contrieved situations (like say an event where you need to move a certain tile to a certain spot on the board to be able to do any damage to the enemy). If you have say 10 viable characters it doesn't matter if the other 30 are all Bagman variants, because people are pretty good at figuring out who is totally useless. You may have wasted some time designing those useless characters but as long as the game is playable with the 10 viable ones, people won't care too much.

Nerfing the overpowered characters is a higher priority because you can't have any variety if a few character is clearly way ahead of the pack. The last NHB tournament pretty much every team is Wolverine + Thor + someone else (OBW or a fancy 3* hero). Now there are quite a bit more variety. I guess right now Patch is a bit overpowered in conjunction with Spiderman since Spiderman takes away his major weakness (Berserker Rage is likely to get yourself killed), but it's not like people don't know Spiderman is overpowered. Patch, without the assurance of a stun lock, is certainly quite dangerous to play with.
  • Just a my 2 cents on nerfs and buffs:
    if you ever read M.Gardner, mathematician, then you might be accustomed with term "terminal velocity" in application to board games. It means maximum speed with which player can do something. If we apply it to MPQ' abilities, then "terminal velocity" would be 3 AP. Even if ability costs 2 AP, you still need to make a match and only then you can use it. If we look at balancing queue, then we will see: Rag - 3AP ability, Wolv - 3AP, Mag - 3AP, Spider - 2AP. Basically, devs cornered themselves by introducing characters that have "terminal velocity" abilities - you cannot introduce or buff someone to be faster, it's speed wall. Cheaper would be only 0AP abilities, and that's just unreasonable icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Same logic behind +3AP boost - if you add this in your game, then another load of characters go "supersayan", and nerf leaders shoot into hyperspace. That's why, until recently, there was almost no point in defense - difference in speed was just too large. Game needed to become slower to have any volume develop and grow into.
    Surely, I'm all for buffs for underused characters - I like to experiment with different strategies (guess that's why I like Dominion so much), but sayin' that we can only buff underused without nerfing it's wrong - there shouldn't be any character with "terminal velocity" in game, or otherwise he will be in every team as long as he can do anything useful. Well, not 2* or 3* at least.
    Or unachievable boss (Apocalipse, anyone?).
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    Just a my 2 cents on nerfs and buffs:
    if you ever read M.Gardner, mathematician, then you might be accustomed with term "terminal velocity" in application to board games. It means maximum speed with which player can do something. If we apply it to MPQ' abilities, then "terminal velocity" would be 3 AP. Even if ability costs 2 AP, you still need to make a match and only then you can use it. If we look at balancing queue, then we will see: Rag - 3AP ability, Wolv - 3AP, Mag - 3AP, Spider - 2AP. Basically, devs cornered themselves by introducing characters that have "terminal velocity" abilities - you cannot introduce or buff someone to be faster, it's speed wall. Cheaper would be only 0AP abilities, and that's just unreasonable icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Same logic behind +3AP boost - if you add this in your game, then another load of characters go "supersayan", and nerf leaders shoot into hyperspace. That's why, until recently, there was almost no point in defense - difference in speed was just too large. Game needed to become slower to have any volume develop and grow into.
    Surely, I'm all for buffs for underused characters - I like to experiment with different strategies (guess that's why I like Dominion so much), but sayin' that we can only buff underused without nerfing it's wrong - there shouldn't be any character with "terminal velocity" in game, or otherwise he will be in every team as long as he can do anything useful. Well, not 2* or 3* at least.
    Or unachievable boss (Apocalipse, anyone?).

The pre nerf version of Ragnarok actually makes a very good boss encounter with a few tweaks (say, always alone, and immune to stuns). I think they should let you play with these characters in restricted environments, most likely PvE similar to how you get Devil Dinosaur for one battle.