What if any of these 20 buck 1 stars worth it if any

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BlackBoltRocks said:
    Can I (once again) be that person who steers the inevitable derailed conversation about Natalie Portman back to the actual topic? I can? Thanks!

With MBW being boosted this week, I'm wondering how good she is. Especially with this week's boost list being very meh. Sure Thanos can destroy everyone, but he'll cost you health packs. IM46...is still average despite his rework. OML...sigh please restore him to his former glory. You did it for Xverine, you can do it for OML. Banner is the only good one here. Of the 4s if you have them ascended, it's probably Melinda and Rhino who are above average.

My current "1-stars who are worth buying their 5-star ascended version" list is Spidey, Yelena, Juggernaut. Does MBW deserve to be added to that list? Her Purple is better than Yelena's, and her Blue has stood the tests of time. Her Yellow being reduced to 7AP makes it better than 5* Colossus' Blue.

Unfortunately...I think she's bad. The problem is scaling (and her lack of it).

MBW purple looks better than Yelena, except that MBW is only stealing AP and Yelena is doing a load of damage, the AP is secondary.

Her stun is good but 9 of a color is kind of a lot -- the ability is better as a team up -- and it also doesn't scale.

Her yellow is a potential saving grace as it's the only one that scales, and it's relatively cheap...I just don't think it's enough.

Combine all that with relatively low health and I think she's probably not playable. I haven't used her or seen her in PvP yet, for what that's worth.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:
    Can I (once again) be that person who steers the inevitable derailed conversation about Natalie Portman back to the actual topic? I can? Thanks!

With MBW being boosted this week, I'm wondering how good she is. Especially with this week's boost list being very meh. Sure Thanos can destroy everyone, but he'll cost you health packs. IM46...is still average despite his rework. OML...sigh please restore him to his former glory. You did it for Xverine, you can do it for OML. Banner is the only good one here. Of the 4s if you have them ascended, it's probably Melinda and Rhino who are above average.

My current "1-stars who are worth buying their 5-star ascended version" list is Spidey, Yelena, Juggernaut. Does MBW deserve to be added to that list? Her Purple is better than Yelena's, and her Blue has stood the tests of time. Her Yellow being reduced to 7AP makes it better than 5* Colossus' Blue.

MBW purple looks better than Yelena, except that MBW is only stealing AP and Yelena is doing a load of damage, the AP is secondary.

Her stun is good but 9 of a color is kind of a lot -- the ability is better as a team up -- and it also doesn't scale.

Her yellow is a potential saving grace as it's the only one that scales, and it's relatively cheap...I just don't think it's enough.

Combine all that with relatively low health and I think she's probably not playable. I haven't used her or seen her in PvP yet, for what that's worth.

Hmm the bolded part is true. She's much easier to deal with than Yelena. It does help that Yelena's blue is passive and does a truckload of damage. Looking at the flavour text of MBW's Yellow, it should probably have been a passive as well. Maybe something like "once per turn, whenever the enemy creates a Countdown tile, destroy it and deal damage".

Right now my rankings are:

S - Spidey, Yelena, Juggernaut (effectively must-haves)
    A - IM35, Venom, Storm (good damage dealers, work well with existing meta 5s. IM35 might be B+ though rather than solid A)
    B - MBW, Hawkeye (nice to have for the rewards, not optimal otherwise. For example, why bother with Hawkeye when you have Shang?)

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 03:36
    Options

@BlackBoltRocks said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:

Hmm the bolded part is true. She's much easier to deal with than Yelena. It does help that Yelena's blue is passive and does a truckload of damage. Looking at the flavour text of MBW's Yellow, it should probably have been a passive as well. Maybe something like "once per turn, whenever the enemy creates a Countdown tile, destroy it and deal damage".

Right now my rankings are:

S - Spidey, Yelena, Juggernaut (effectively must-haves)
    A - IM35, Venom, Storm (good damage dealers, work well with existing meta 5s. IM35 might be B+ though rather than solid A)
    B - MBW, Hawkeye (nice to have for the rewards, not optimal otherwise. For example, why bother with Hawkeye when you have Shang?)

Honestly I'd probably stick Juggernaut in the S tier by himself, with Spidey, Yelena and Venom in the A tier and the rest as B tier.

Juggernaut just has an insane amount of health and does an insane amount of damage, for so few AP.

Yelena, Spidey, and Venom are all good (Venom has crazy health and does crazy damage, even if his costs are a bit high).

Iron Man's AP costs are just too high. MBW doesn't scale very much, and Hawkeye is basically "Shang-Chi but bad."

Storm is the one I'm not totally sure about, but she also has really low health and doesn't benefit as much from scaling.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Storm is the one I'm not totally sure about, but she also has really low health and doesn't benefit as much from scaling.

Storm is a great third for ShangJane (then again, many are), and I would say she's superior to default 5* Storm (Ororo Munroe). Just that her health is painfully low. Plus she and Spidey cover all 6 colours, so if any player who was not in 5* land had bought just those two, it's a great introduction (albeit at the cost of screwing over their PvP matchmaking)

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    I saw 40 new posts and was excited that maybe they were re-offering the 1s. Nope… just the same horse pulp that’s been beaten in multiple other threads. We get it. At this point it’s glue. Weird weird obsession.

If you all don’t like bad faith arguments or words being put in your mouth, I suggest the ignore feature. The forums become much better….BUT if the ignored is quoted those don’t get ignored and topics still get derailed. Just learned that the hard way. I’d still suggest it though despite the limitations.

Yea thinking about trying to close post out and just makinf a new one. Got way off topic

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 14:29
    Options

I'm not going to pretend the thread didn't get way off topic, but asking things like "is this worth it" when discussing direct purchasing of fully covered 5s is going to necessarily at least include some discussion of the meta and how they fit in it.

Regardless, the offers have been completely absent for months.

I continue to think one reason is they offered anyone with a bit of cash to leapfrog immediately into 5 land....it is incredibly easy to find rosters around running pairs of 500+ 1-5s and a bunch of 3s and 4s otherwise. The developers' intent is to keep you around here for as long as possible, to build up everything sloooowwwlllyyyy and get to a point of keeping up etc.

I think they vastly underestimated the interest in the 1-5s and aren't willing to sell them that cheaply again, but now can't just put them for sale at a much higher price point right away without looking bad.

Maybe in another month or so they'll do something similar to what they did recently with a 3-4 (I think, maybe a 2-4?) and offer a 1-5 with a bunch of extras for like $50-60. Maybe more like $75.

I see no point in posting a new thread on the same topic until we see an offer in game again.

It is also possible the main point of the 1-5 offer was to inject them into the game and create an incentive for people without them to chase them and catch up to early adopters (once they saw their power etc) vs making it something they routinely offer. You can say "that sucks" and "no fair" but consider that every player who was playing at the Anniversary got a Rank 5 Chimi and a Power Stone AND a Time Stone, but everyone who has decided to start/restart since got...yeah, nothing besides a Rank 2 Totem Dagger.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 171 Tile Toppler
    edited 25 March 2024, 20:28
    Options

I was hoping they would be offered on a rotating basis and could effectively be a high-roller(ish) VIP replacement ... a way to constantly keep those 1* covers heading into the 5* tier ... but ... apparently ... not.

WIth my set of bought 1>5s approaching the mountaintop, it will soon be time to start them over, ground up. After the glory of the last 25 5* lvls, that's going to be underwhelming :D

Oh well ... max+min'ing them through the 1st 3 tiers will save some time, they'll get back up there eventually, and I'll have the 550 set to use in the meantime, now and forever until the servers melt.

• slidecage
    edited 14 March 2024, 18:19
    Options

@bluewolf said:
    I'm not going to pretend the thread didn't get way off topic, but asking things like "is this worth it" when discussing direct purchasing of fully covered 5s is going to necessarily at least include some discussion of the meta and how they fit in it.

Regardless, the offers have been completely absent for months.

I continue to think one reason is they offered anyone with a bit of cash to leapfrog immediately into 5 land....it is incredibly easy to find rosters around running pairs of 500+ 1-5s and a bunch of 3s and 4s otherwise. The developers' intent is to keep you around here for as long as possible, to build up everything sloooowwwlllyyyy and get to a point of keeping up etc.

I think they vastly underestimated the interest in the 1-5s and aren't willing to sell them that cheaply again, but now can't just put them for sale at a much higher price point right away without looking bad.

Maybe in another month or so they'll do something similar to what they did recently with a 3-4 (I think, maybe a 2-4?) and offer a 1-5 with a bunch of extras for like $50-60. Maybe more like $75.

I see no point in posting a new thread on the same topic until we see an offer in game again.

It is also possible the main point of the 1-5 offer was to inject them into the game and create an incentive for people without them to chase them and catch up to early adopters (once they saw their power etc) vs making it something they routinely offer. You can say "that sucks" and "no fair" but consider that every player who was playing at the Anniversary got a Rank 5 Chimi and a Power Stone AND a Time Stone, but everyone who has decided to start/restart since got...yeah, nothing besides a Rank 2 Totem Dagger.

About making new topic. Don't know if anyone wants to (or even if they been keeping track )

How about a topic that list when an accended is offered .. could at least let people know who and last time they sold and how much they sold for

Got like 3500 basic tokens I want to open but no reason till you get most of the 1 stars accended offer .. I was able to grab vemon and juggie but won't waste opening up the tokens just in hopes of getting them and wasteing the others on lower rank one stars

I am moving them up a few levels here and there by winning covers in pvp.

Wonder if they offer vip right now for 9.99. not sure how many are buying it, but if they really wanted to sell it how about

Vip monthly 24.99 with 1 star accended to 5. (save 5 bucks ). Do that on a monthly rotation.

Hell they could even do it with 2 to 4 stars but then people would complain it's now pay to win

No idea what a 2 to 4 star would cost (didn't nightcrawler from a 2 to 4 cost 24.99)

Instead of making new topic maybe I put accended info in first post. Now just need to find info

Also is my typing getting better or still bad

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 18:11
    Options

You could always ask in the next Q&A thread. If they plan to re-run, then I’d hold off opening. If you get a vague “never say never” (which, come on…), then open now. You’ll likely have to build those low level 1*s to 550 naturally eventually. That’s what I’m planning at this point.

And no, I wouldn’t make a new thread. That is just as likely to get taken off topic. No matter how many threads are created the agenda gets shoehorned in.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Offer for 1 star ascended storm just popped up in game for me

• slidecage
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

Lol posted little bit ago about the hellfire event running

Now we only need a 1 star storm or iron man. Offer

Fingers crossed next week iron man

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Welp, glad I was wrong about them costing more....

The 1-5s starting up as the quarter closes makes sense. Probably another one next week, maybe a string of them as March ends.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 171 Tile Toppler
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

Hell yeah, it did. Insta-buy on sight.

Now just put one on offer once a season, in a rotation, that'd be close enough to perfect.

• slidecage
    Options

Offered a 2 star mag pushed to 3 star for 10.. personally not worth it

• slidecage
    edited 28 March 2024, 21:01
    Options

Hopefully an iron man 1 star today. ... Guess not

Maybe tomorrow but doubt it

Come on take my cash

Can't believe little dog been a week today. Seems like years

• slidecage
    Options

Wow been around a month since they offered anything. Wonder if they gave up selling accended.

Been month as well dog past still miss them 😔

• slidecage
    Options

Blah 3 1 stars accended to 2 for 10 bucks way over priced maybe 2 bucks tops

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 25 April 2024, 12:18
    Options

I think the devs discovered the $20 for an Ascended 1 to 5* was WAY too good a deal.

• slidecage
    edited 25 April 2024, 15:14
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    I think the devs discovered the $20 for an Ascended 1 to 5* was WAY too good a deal.

When first saw the 3 accended was really hoping it was to 5. For 50

Seems only way my one stars will get covers short term is pvp. Won't open up my 3700 basic tokens till I have at least 6 1 star buys (3 so far) juggie vemon storm

Funny thing not sure how but I got every rank storm accended to 5

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm curious to know how many people bought them and now might regret it in PVP. They are all fine, but pretty slow compared to the meta. Even boosted, they can be brought down quickly by some of the other teams not boosted.